Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
ice nine

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by ice nine »

Listening to the podcast 'Smartless' where Judd Apatow is being interviewed, the interviewers ask how Judd got his start. He says that he and Ben Stiller first met at an Elvis Costello show and Ben hired Judd to direct/write on 'The Ben Stiller Show'.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.irishnews.com/arts/2021/04/ ... --2277982/

Arts Q&A: Writer Louise Kennedy on Elvis Costello, Edna O'Brien and starting to write in her 40s...

(...)

2. Best gigs you've been to?

The Smiths, National Stadium, February 1986: I loved that band so much and it was a great show, but the best thing about that night was the angsty young fellas in Dunne's Stores jumpers who kept climbing onto the stage to throw their arms around Morrissey and had to be pulled off him by the bouncers.

The Pogues, Olympic Ballroom, December 1986: I became separated from my friends and got stuck at the front, which was both terrifying and outrageous craic. I left looking like Alice Cooper, with a rivulet of molten mascara and eyeliner on each cheek.

Elvis Costello and The Attractions, Olympia Theatre, July 1994: A brilliant gig, but the best thing about it was that I didn't have to go to Féile to see them – I hate muck, queueing and portaloos.
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello and The Attractions, Olympia Theatre, July 1994: A brilliant gig, but the best thing about it was that I didn't have to go to Féile to see them – I hate muck, queueing and portaloos.
Not The Attractions , it was The Rude 5 , in 1991 , not 1994.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -02_Dublin
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

johnfoyle wrote:
Not The Attractions , it was The Rude 5 , in 1991 , not 1994.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -02_Dublin
Can't imagine any of the UK and Ireland 1991 shows would have been a highlight of their concert attending career :shock: !
On the other hand, Royal Albert Hall 1994 would be a different matter :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've since found this listing . Incorrect , of course , but maybe an explanation for the confusion

The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Well that was a bit unexpected. I was watching the Siskel & Ebert 500th Episode Anniversary Special, and during a sequence spotlighting some of their more spirited disagreements, I believe “Stalin Malone” is playing in the background (perhaps on a loop). Skip ahead to about the 7&1/2 minute mark to hear it.

https://youtu.be/hpAG0ooRdlw
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/st ... -33323598/

Sirius XM : Hear Bruce Springsteen celebrate radio in a new episode of his SiriusXM series

Join Bruce Springsteen in reflecting on mankind's special relationship with radio during another edition of his exclusive SiriusXM radio series, From My Home to Yours.

In From My Home to Yours, Volume 22: Radio Radio, Springsteen will pay tribute to the radio by spinning songs from Elvis Costello, The Ravyns, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, The Beach Boys, himself, and more. Listen to the premiere of Volume 22 on E Street Radio (Ch. 20)May 26 at 10am ET, or hear it during the times below or anytime on the SiriusXM app after its debut.

Volume 22 is the latest edition of SiriusXM's ongoing From My Home To Yours series, which sees Bruce selecting songs from his personal collection. Stream previous episodes of the series on the SiriusXM app here.

Broadcast Schedule (all times ET)
May 26 at 10am and 6pm

May 27 at 6am and 3pm

May 28 at 7am

May 29 at 12am, 8am, and 5pm

May 30 at 7am and 6pm

May 31 at 7am and 4pm
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I see ex F1 boss, Max Mosley had died. He was the son of Oswald Mosley who inspired Elvis to write Less than Zero.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis responds to a tweet accusing Olivia Rodrigo's "Brutal" of being "a pretty much direct lift from Elvis Costello":
This is fine by me, Billy.
It’s how rock and roll works. You take the broken pieces of another thrill and make a brand new toy. That’s what I did. #subterreaneanhomesickblues #toomuchmonkeybusiness
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

"Alison" is #396 on Rolling Stone's latest list of the 500 greatest songs.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 2-1224942/
Inspired, according to his 2015 memoir, by a “beautiful checkout girl” whose dreams he imagined “would soon be squandered to a ruffian,” this deceptively tender ballad on Costello’s debut album helped enshrine him as post-punk’s most gifted melodist. In 1977, Costello credited his hard-bitten lyrical style to the fact that “there’s nothing glamorous or romantic about the world at the moment.… Nobody’s got the time or the money.” Nevertheless, Costello’s attempt at “a beautiful sound” on “Alison” was inspired in part by Jimi Hendrix’s “The Wind Cries Mary”: They share a similarly crackling guitar tone.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A curio has popped up in a collection of photos. It's of concerts in England in 1970s. David Johnson photographed Clover at the Nashville Room, London on 31 March 1977.

A face in the crowd is Elvis, a few days after Less Than Zero had been released as a single. It , of course, is a recording that featured members of Clover. Perhaps some of the crowd there knew that but it would be played down in the narrative for years after.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/squeezybo ... nCq53asX64
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

belfast

Post by belfast »

As luck would have it, I was in that neighborhood on Halloween to see a friend who lives there, but I didn't go trick or treating with him and his kids. (They also never got to Buscemi's home as they stopped a few blocks up.) It can be quite a trip walking through Park Slope because it's not unusual to run into movie stars and even pop stars out there. Quite a few of them have homes there.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://943thepoint.com/most-underrated ... tone-pony/

The Top 20 Most Underrated Performances Ever At The Stone Pony In Asbury Park, NJ

(…)

#1. Elvis Costello & The Attractions
December 16th, 1977
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Shame they used a modern photo when there are so many great ones 9Including Elvis playing a huge hollow bodied guitar ( a Gretsch ?) on the wiki that would have been more appropriate!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

In the November issue of Mojo, Tori Amos says she recorded 2 Elvis songs for her 2001 covers album Strange Little Girls, Hoover Factory and After the Fall. These, along with Bruce Springsteen’s Growing Up, didn’t make the final cut.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Elvis and Diana attended the London premiere of The Beatles: Get Back on November 16 (which is also Diana's birthday).

https://www.zimbio.com/photos/Elvis+Cos ... e+Arrivals

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Lovely hat!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Quiz night on BBC2 had 2 Elvis references last night!
Only Connect (the best quiz ever) had Attraction on a wall along with Banshee, Supreme and Shadow - singular backing bands.
University Challenge had Stiff releases in a music round - they correctly got Elvis Costello but failed to identify Nick Lowe. I despair at the shoddy, sub-standard education given to young people these days.......
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fishfinger king wrote:Quiz night on BBC2 had 2 Elvis references last night!
Only Connect (the best quiz ever) had Attraction on a wall along with Banshee, Supreme and Shadow - singular backing bands.
University Challenge had Stiff releases in a music round - they correctly got Elvis Costello but failed to identify Nick Lowe. I despair at the shoddy, sub-standard education given to young people these days.......
:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
krm

Post by krm »

Fishfinger king wrote:Quiz night on BBC2 had 2 Elvis references last night!
Can be seen here https://youtu.be/PvAiq5ZB_fo?t=838
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

In a shop yesterday I was surprised to hear Suede's version of Shipbuilding. We hung around to listen to it, and Mrs MikeH commented: "better than Elvis's version." In a marriage you have to take the rough with the smooth I suppose.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

In Morrison’s supermarket yesterday when I heard EC’s “The Beat” coming over the sound system! I couldn’t believe my ears! :shock:
It was followed up by Billy Ocean, When The Going gets Tough !!! How bizarre ! :?