Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Pretty self-explanatory
fred darden

Re: Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff. . .

Post by fred darden »

Don't know if this has been here before, in the season 3 opening show of i zombie, "complicated shadows " is played in the outro .
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

fred darden wrote:Don't know if this has been here before, in the season 3 opening show of i zombie, "complicated shadows " is played in the outro .
Just checked the wiki -- it's listed:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... television
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Not that went anywhere near this programme but the BBC's Liverpool love in about the football team winning the league featured Pump It Up although I dont think Elvis was a talking head in the programme.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Bruce Springsteen and Elvis.

Perhaps this deserves its own thread?

https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/elvis-c ... ch-videos/
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Good article, missed Santa Claus is coming to town Asbury park Dec 2001. BA should be all over this one. Talks about show but not this tune.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

A friend of mine just sent me a message saying he had bought Spike and Mighty Like Rose in a charity shop for 50p each. He had never heard them before but so far he had enjoyed "a song about God and something about chewing gum" - he was half way through Spike.

I was almost jealous of him hearing them for the first time. Having lived with those albums for 30 years it is hard to imagine what they would sound like on first listen.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Oliver's army was a question on The Chase last friday. Paul (the sinnerman) Sinha said he had it played at his wedding. OA was also mentioned on Corrie last night
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Pump It Up is sampled on Debbie Take Control of the Stereo, a song from the new album, Power On, by a Welsh band Helen Love

https://youtu.be/GY-12OjU1zs
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

In the November 2020 Hi-Fi world there is an article about London pirate radio broadcasts from the late 70s and Thameside seems to be the broadcaster particularly mentioned in the article and contains the a paragraph describing how a presenter "was heard making unfairly-disparaging comments about Elvis Costello after a play of his High Fidelity single" Anyone recall Thameside broadcasts? I don't remember it whilst I was at Uni- it seemed to be all LBC as far as I can recall!
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

Elvis features on the Bruce Springsteen Christmas Archive release:

https://live.brucespringsteen.net/live- ... rk-NY.html

MSG 11/07/2009NOV. 7, 2009The final leg of Springsteen's 2009 tour featured full-album performances, none more compelling than this one-time reading of The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Joined by an expanded horn section, eight violin players and original percussionist Richard Blackwell, Bruce and the band bring the 1973 classic to life in majestic fashion. But that's not all, as the 11/7/09 set also includes "Thundercrack," "Seeds," "Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?," "Glory Days," "Human Touch" and a rousing closing encore of "(Your Love Is Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" with Elvis Costello.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Pigalle wrote:Elvis features on the Bruce Springsteen Christmas Archive release:

https://live.brucespringsteen.net/live- ... rk-NY.html

MSG 11/07/2009NOV. 7, 2009The final leg of Springsteen's 2009 tour featured full-album performances, none more compelling than this one-time reading of The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle. Joined by an expanded horn section, eight violin players and original percussionist Richard Blackwell, Bruce and the band bring the 1973 classic to life in majestic fashion. But that's not all, as the 11/7/09 set also includes "Thundercrack," "Seeds," "Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?," "Glory Days," "Human Touch" and a rousing closing encore of "(Your Love Is Lifting Me) Higher And Higher" with Elvis Costello.

if i may share....my sister in law, NOT the EC lunatic that i am NOR as secondary even as my brotherapostle...from the FIRST song of the night, spotted our guy in front of the pit at stage left! when she told me and my wife as she passed the binoculars, WE WERE ALL IN HEAVEN! would i at last see my two guys sing a song together? Mr. Costello stayed there in the pit for the ENTIRE main set proper. And when the show approached encore time, all the sudden Elvis was no longer in sight! would faith be rewarded? HALLELUJAH when Bruce called Elvis to the stage. last song of the night and additionally the last song i ever saw Clarence Clemons play live after about 44 E Street appearances. and now i must drop the $27 for the cd copy! :D :D
verbal gymnastics

Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

RIP Gerry Marsden. I have a live recording of EC singing Ferry Cross the Mersey / Tiny Steps. I am sure Top Balcony or Sulky can tell me which show it was!!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Mikeh : The Wiki suggests you have audio from the epic show at Liverpool's Royal Court 9/12/1986 : http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Liverpool. To my shame I missed that one, but saw him sing it with Ian Prowse at the Empire on 13/5/2012, it's last outing by EC. RIP Gerry
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Mikeh wrote:RIP Gerry Marsden. I have a live recording of EC singing Ferry Cross the Mersey / Tiny Steps. I am sure Top Balcony or Sulky can tell me which show it was!!
EC tweets: "I was saddened by Gerry Marsden’s passing. His voice will always lead the way at Anfield, in times of celebration or lament. YNWA. He (and his brother, Freddie) wrote some great tunes. Here is my favourite: https://youtu.be/LQmdoyXgzvk My condolences to his friends and family."
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Pretty sure he did that segue during the SSS shows in Liverpool in 9th December 1986 according to the wiki . I think there’s probably a YouTube clip of it !!
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:Pretty sure he did that segue during the SSS shows in Liverpool in 9th December 1986 according to the wiki . I think there’s probably a YouTube clip of it !!
Here: https://youtu.be/31lk8ncwJV4?t=100[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/31lk8ncwJV4?t=100
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yes... he did that also on Broadway NYC 1986
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

From a recent Rolling Stone article about Justin Townes Earle:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... e-1112709/

As a budding songwriter, Justin was eager for his father’s approval, which didn’t come easily early in Justin’s career. “Steve knew how incredible of a writer [his son] was — he let me know that — but he couldn’t always let Justin know that,” says Welch. Once, after the Swindlers ended a show with a newly written original named “Maria,” Steve asked Justin about the Elvis Costello song he had closed with. More than a decade later, Justin was still proud of the unintentional compliment.

I highly recommend reading the entire article, even if you're not a fan. Heartbreaking story.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Remember the song 'Tart' from 'When I Was Cruel'?

"Oranges roll in the gutter... and you pick them up..."

Well, d'you reckon this was what Elvis was talking about?

https://twitter.com/crk5/status/1355714 ... 33540?s=20
verbal gymnastics

Yes - although Elvis referred to the Arabic streets of Seville which is probably better known as an orange producer than Valencia. It also fits better as a lyric!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Yes - although Elvis referred to the Arabic streets of Seville which is probably better known as an orange producer than Valencia. It also fits better as a lyric!
Mrs. Sulky made marmalade from Seville oranges last week - just letting you know !! :roll:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Home made marmalade - nice!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:Home made marmalade - nice!
Huge universal a(peel) :roll: :D :D
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.jambase.com/article/bruce-s ... al-release

Bruce Springsteen Releases ‘Nice, France 1997’ Live Archival Recording

(...)
Bruce opened with “The Ghost Of Tom Joad” and later in the evening performed eight more tracks from the LP in Nice. Elvis Costello was in the audience that night which explains why Springsteen dedicated “You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)” to his longtime friend. “You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)” was a tour debut. The Boss hadn’t played the song since 1988 as per Setlist.FM. Additionally, Springsteen offered up the year’s first “It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City” and wound up performing “It’s The Little Things That Count” for the last time until 2003.
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.