Elvis Costello clover show question

Pretty self-explanatory
ROKKY

Elvis Costello clover show question

Post by ROKKY »

Sorry! I know this is a week late, but I just got my account activated. I was at the second show and he said something about the members of clover not having their names on the album, because of Visa problems or something? Or was that a joke? The show itself was brilliant. It was right up there with the Juliet letters show I saw 14 years ago. Also I remember Elvis saying he was not going to do any songs past like 1977. But Peace love and understanding was later. Anyone else notice that?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

actually, NICK wrote it a couple years before E's '77 and before timetable!
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis Costello clover show question

Post by verbal gymnastics »

ROKKY wrote:Sorry! I know this is a week late, but I just got my account activated. I was at the second show and he said something about the members of clover not having their names on the album, because of Visa problems or something? Or was that a joke?
There were contractual difficulties which meant that Elvis couldn't namecheck clover in 1977.

Elvis has obviously sorted out his problem with Visa now because they sponsored his last Imposters tour :wink: :lol:

Welcome by the way, ROKKY. It was interesting that you thought this show was up there with the Brodskys show in 1993. I have been a fan for a very very long time and of all of his albums, The Juliet Letters is the second one I can't get on with. The first is Il Sogno.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
waterloosunset94

Post by waterloosunset94 »

He wasn't talking about the credit card company; rather the type of visa the members of Clover were travelling under. They could not legally work without a work permit, which their visas (I'm guessing tourist visas?) didn't allow, so they couldn't play gigs or be credited on the album. If the government caught them earning money they could have been thrown out of the country.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

waterloosunset94 wrote:He wasn't talking about the credit card company;
It was a[n obviously poor] joke. Hence the wink and the laugh.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Sorry I have only just read this thread, laugh , well ! please tell me Waterloo you are not from the UK ?