Elvis, Allen play London , July 7 '07

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hopefully you'll survive the experience...

There's something about it being London and Glasgow in parallel that makes you think something hideously national is about to happen. Both with cars involved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6257606.stm

Deeply shocking. I can't help but thinking amidst all this looking back over Blair's 10 years and the general acknowledgement that his overwhelming legacy will be Iraq and misguided devotion to Dubya, that it seems quite likely that if something truly awful does happen now, that will be a not too surprising bookend to his 10 year tenure. And maybe what he would be most remembered for, what he brought upon us.

Watched The Queen this evening and found that, as with The Deal, Michael Sheen's Blair seemed entirely plausible (just as Mirren's Queen did). Is Blair about to get the same judgement that the royals did on one of the many floral card tributes: blood on his hands?

I see the appointment of David Miliband as Foreign Secretary as a possible ray of hope.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6248508.stm

'Change' is the word Gordon Brown used most in his opening speech. Please can that mean withdrawal from Iraq?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Well this is very auspicious timing, seeing as how I'm moving to London in a week...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Anyone up for meeting on Saturday and if so , does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm free in the afternoon so name a time and place!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
littletriggers

Saturday Meat !

Post by littletriggers »

Festival Hall bar in front of South Bank book stalls that's where I will be lurking plus a quick walk up to Tate Modern, before heading up to the Tower. Phew ticket just arrived in lunchtime post so I'm there, I did deliberate getting a ticket outside always been available in the past, usually me giving away a ticket outside venue when let down by a friend. A few years back I remember joining a guy in the stalls at Hammersmith Odeon while I gave my tickets to doorman for the circle neither of us could sell our spare so we opted for his better seats, good bloke. Tower example , on ebay night before last two A tickets 46 quid my one C cost me 53 .
I'll be the fat bloke in a tight jacket with a small Elvis pin sat on his Jack head buried in paper or nose in Glass Saturday afternoon @ RFH.
kilburn_bhoy

Post by kilburn_bhoy »

One of the Free papers that we get in London every evening (The London Lite or the London Paper I can't remember which) said that Elvis would be playing the 02 arena on SUNDAY night. Now could this be a free show thats been kept under wraps or something, or did the paper get their wires crossed? Or is this that ominous Indigo Club show that was talked about a few months ago?? Perhaps all will become clear at the Tower tomorrow...
verbal gymnastics

To my knowledge it's still advertised as Timbaland's aftershow party at the Indigo and Justin Timberlake at the o2 Arena on Sunday.

I doubt if Elvis will provide the music at the Timbaland show and I doubt even more that Elvis will provide a surprise support slot for Mr Timberland.

Mind you we ought to get a free show for the amount of money being charged :x
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A enjoyable show, Elvis' voice a bit rough so perhaps intentionally low in the mix, all songs same as the Picket except no Bedlam, Clown Strike, DDTM, N.O.piano, Ascension Day, Get Out Of My Life Woman or Slippin 'n A Sliding.
More later, when I'm back in Dublin.
jmm

Post by jmm »

John is being kind with the "bit rough" on EC's voice he was struggling. That's probably related to the cuts in the playlist from Liverpool - hard for me to say not having been at the first show.

This truly was an AT show with EC as the special guest vocalist but a vocalist not in good voice makes for a difficult evening. Allen on the other hand was great as were the horns - Brickyard, A Certain Girl, etc. EC seemed not as confident without his full voice and Pete and Davey behind him. He did seem to let it go and enjoy himself a bit towards the end with Yes We Can Can, Fortune Teller, High Fidelity

However compared to the three other times we've seen him this year (w/ Rosanne Cash [grade A for originality, venue, fun factor], at Letterman webcast in the Ed Sullivan Theatre, [A- blistering set, venue sound and historical factor, marks off only for a short show], at the Nokia theatre [B+, sound couldn't compare to EST, still a great show in the "Return of the Angry Man" tour / sponsored by VISA]) it was a distant 4th (B- at best).

For comparison to the Montreal show with Allen last year A+++ (if you think that DVD is good wait until they inevitable release the rest of it) it just didn't get there. Maybe EC has set this own standard too high?

Hopefully ECs voice and the change in bass and drums will get worked out as the tours continues. And how could he play the Tower festival and not do Let em Dangle or Man Out of Time (both of which were included some nights in the recent US tour)???

It's a very nice thing to be an EC fan in NYC these days but still we're glad we got the chance to see them in London.

Interested in what those who've not seen them in awhile thought?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

is this tour without IMPOSTERS?
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

After reading the 28 song set list for Liverpool I almost felt cheated by the Towers shortened set time apparently all gigs have been starting at 8.45 not as advertised 7pm. Even so the gig was great, shame it was only two thirds full. Could even be watched for free stood in the right spot back behind mixing desks, well view two thirds of the screen, which was all we ended up watching in C tiered seats. I was thinking the same about Let Him Dangle even the odd Punch The Clock track as he had the horns.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://naijalive.net/nigerianblogs/2007 ... in-be-dat/

The Nigerian Super Blogs-

..............here are a couple of shots taken this evening at one of this year’s performance at the Tower of London Music Festival with Elvis Costello and Allan Toussaint:

Deportee

Post by Deportee »

I enjoyed the show, but was surprised when I was told about the 8.45pm start, given that the info with the ticket said it would be over by 10.20. Cheapest seats, but still the most I have ever paid for an EC ticket, and one of the shortest shows....yes I could moan a bit about that, but it was the only time I would see him and AT and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly think folks voted against the ticket prices by staying away. If £45 was top price instead of cheapest, I think it would have been a lot busier.
Partick Thistle - The Greatest Thing
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Enjoyable as it was to see both the Liverpool and London shows they were odd in that they were very much Elvis in retread mode. Coupled with the recent shows , it's unusual to see him do absolutely , Alison re-jig excepted, nothing new. What with his huge inventiveness over the years I guess we will have to allow him this pause, considering his busy home life etc. The fact that he seemed to be in a relaxed and pleasant mindset bodes well, hopefully, for resumed unleashing of musical adventures.

When my photos are developed and my mind is somewhat rested I hope to have more to tell , along with details of my trek around the sun splashed urban wasteland that was Acton/'Vanity factory'/Western Avenue/ Hoover building.
Otis Westinghouse

You made it to the Hoover Factory! Was that a first? Did you celebrate with a Tesco Finest prawn sandwich?
Deportee wrote:Certainly think folks voted against the ticket prices by staying away.
Me for example. It's the first time in a good 5 years (since I got involved in the first EC message board!) that I haven't given a thought to missing an EC gig I could have reached in 90 mins. And I've not seen him with AT. I just laughed when I saw that price. Arcade Fire are only charging me £24 for the Ally Pally. And I'm paying all of £15 for a close-up one-on-one experience with the songwriting genius of Lloyd Cole. And my reissue of Colossal Youth has been despatched. Who needs to pay £45 for this?
kilburn_bhoy

Post by kilburn_bhoy »

I was very very ill on the day of the gig, but I made it. Thought it was a good show but a bit too short, though it was clear Elvis was struggling with his voice I had a lot of sympathy for him! It was the first time I've seen Elvis and I will definitely do so again. The horn section were amazing especially the trombonist, and Steve Nieve was unbvelievable particularly during 'Clubland'.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

You made it to the Hoover Factory!
That is the EC Mecca.
verbal gymnastics

Great to see John again and to meet Neil. And those who attended were given a CD of The Picket show by Sulky Lad!

I have to say that as much as I enjoyed the show, the price was very steep for a 95 minute show and no support. I have to agree that ticket prices were very steep (£55 to £65) and in my mind it was not worth the money (and you have to bear in mind that I am a bit of a fan). Indeed Neil. came for a drink and was unsure as to whether or not to come to the show. We went in without him and I was recognised by a couple of people who have seen me at other shows. They in turn met with somebody else who had a spare complimentary ticket in row E. A quick phone call to Neil. and he is in! Annoyingly when Neil. went to the box office they still had tickets for the first three rows and there were plenty of Row A tickets. There was no chance of upgrading our tickets. We were also offered two after show tickets but none of us took up the offer (and somebody else nabbed them even though there were three of them! They were going to try and blag the other person in).

Whilst I was in Row U, when the show started I ran to the 5th row in the middle block which was completely empty (and more or less remained throughout) and watched the show from there. I'm pleased to say Elvis acknowledged me a couple of times. The second time I was applauding him and he gestured me towards Allen. Rightly so.

After Pump It Up many people moved to the front of the stage. I moved forward again and during Clubland I could see Allen admiring Steve's work. The set list had (Alison or Clubland) written on it. After Clubland Allen and Steve swapped places for the next song and Elvis said to the band to play Alison. This resulted in Allen and Steve swapping their places again.

Elvis' voice was not in great form and he did struggle at times. He was not too chatty between songs but was not in a bad mood. There's an earlier post that Elvis should change his shirt. All I can say is that he is still wearing the silver boots...

We got chatting to Paul Bryan after the show and he was saying that he flew in from America on Tuesday, had two 2 hour rehearsals, played on Thursday and then on Saturday. He thinks he'll be ready after 3 or 4 shows. There was no chance of us meeting Elvis etc and the security were a bit lively in getting people out of the venue.

Enjoyable but not worth the money as much as I enjoyed and admired Allen Toussaint.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Nice report, verbal.
Enjoyable but not worth the money as much as I enjoyed and admired Allen Toussaint.
Because of lack of Imposters, mainly? What if it had been with The Imposters playing very well?

edit - Sorry, scrap that question, that's a ridiculous amount of money!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Meanwhile on the otherside of London, this EC fan went to see Steely Dan. A great show. I think I made the right decision. The setlist, if anyone's interested:

Time Out Of Mind
Godwhacker
Bad Sneakers
Two Against Nature
Hey Nineteen
Haitian Divorce
Peg
Dirty Work
Home At Last
Green Earrings
Josie
Chain Lightning
Aja
Kid Charlemagne

Encores:
FM
My Old School

I saw SD once before in Dublin in 1995, this show was much better. Macca was in the audience apparently.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Not much to add except that it was great to meet Verbal, John and Sulky - and Verbal's verbal gymnastics helped secure me that complimentary ticket - thanks so much for that!

Ooh - one thing to add actually: even tho the venue was only two-thirds full, the crowd were really appreciative and making a hell of a racket after the numbers - though it might have been disappointing for the artists to walk out at the start and see all the red seats spare at the back, when we all crammed into the main hangar thing, there was a great atmosphere and I think they left at the end knowing they'd made a lot of people happy.

As ever, I heard "Aw, he didn't play Oliver's Army" from someone as we were trickling out of the venue!

Did anyone turn up at the All Bar One? Got there in the end but a bit later than expected. Sorry if anyone turned up and felt 'stood up'.

P.S. Kilburn Bhouy, it was your first Elvis gig! When did you get into him then? When he's in fine voice, it's bloody amazing - sorry your first one was the one in which he had a frog in his throat!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I agree with most of the comments made.
Great to see Allen and the horns but felt short-changed by the duration of the set with no support and the price (+the ratio of the two!).
It was very much a bog standard set a la Sharp as a pistol DVD with no surprises. I can't remember the last EC gig that I went to when I haven't gone away very surprised by at least one or two of the selections.
Presumably the duration of the set was down to the venue. It can't have been EC's voice (ropey though it was) as Allen could have done several more numbers (Shoo ra, Shoo ra, Get out of my life woman, Slippin and Slidin etc etc.) I've seen other gigs when EC's voice has suffered but he's carried on. I missed Pete and Davy, but there seemd no reason why he couldn't have done a half hour acoustic interlude with Steve.
In the DVD liner noted he complains about London as a venue compared to Liverpool. The audience seemed good though, and, Elvis, you reap what you sow - if you play a cataclysmically long set with lots of obscurities to a Liverpool audience in a small venue they are likely to appreciate it. If you rip off London audiences with a short set at an exorbitant price then it's surprising they were even as appreciative as they were. I expect more.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig ... d=23403544

Veteran partnership overcome sparse crowd
By André Paine,

Evening Standard 09.07.07

"The British Empire's over, we've scared the ravens off," said Elvis Costello, but it was his fans whose absence was more apparent.

The failure to completely sell out the Tower of London was perhaps due to the distraction of Live Earth. It hardly mattered, though, as Costello established a formidable partnership with Allen Toussaint, the veteran New Orleans piano player.

They were performing tunes from their album of collaborations, and though Costello may not have a natural R'n'B voice they made a virtue of their contrasting styles.

While the 69-year-old Toussaint grinned away during his silky piano playing, Costello sang and strummed his guitar as if he'd had a really bad day. That was especially true during the baleful River In Reverse.

Occasionally, Costello's bark overwhelmed the more soulful songs. But the band provided some equally robust bursts of trumpet and saxophone throughout the set, which made Seventies singles such as Alison sound spectacular.

Costello clearly viewed Toussaint as the senior partner, paying tribute to his musical legacy as the older man sang A Certain Girl.

Inevitably, though, this crowd wanted more of Costello's tuneful punk classics. And during Pump It Up, middle-aged fans surged forward to dance, ignoring their lack of ability and the protesting security guards.

When a bearded Beefeater started shimmying too, though, the bouncers sensibly decided to let everyone have their fun.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

And during Pump It Up, middle-aged fans surged forward to dance, ignoring their lack of ability

It was you Verbal!!!
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Is that the first time the words Beefeater and shimmying have ever been combined?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Oh, and I forgot.
How can he play next to Traitor's Gate and not do Man Out of Time?????!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine