Sondre Lerche covers Human Hands

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Sondre Lerche covers Human Hands

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1002200080

Lerche Leans Toward Jazz On 'Duper Sessions'

Sondre Lerche takes a jazzy turn with the Faces Down Quartet on the album "Duper Sessions," due tomorrow (March 21) via Astralwerks. The 23-year-old Lerche is backed here by pianist Erik Halvorsen, guitarist Kato Adland, bassist Morten Akage and drummer Ole Ludvig Kruger. The set was produced by long-time collaborator Jorgen Traeen.

"This is definitely a departure for me, but it's not that different," Lerche tells Billboard.com. "It's more about doing one single thing, one certain style. All my records have used elements of jazz -- this one just uses them on every song. I grew up appreciating pop music from the jazz age and this set of songs were really drawn from that."

The 13-track "Duper Sessions" features a cover of the Cole Porter classic "Night and Day," which was inspired in part by Lerche's admiration of Chet Baker's vocal recordings, and "Nightingales" by Prefab Sprout's Paddy McAloon. The Norwegian songwriter also put his own spin on "Human Hands" by Elvis Costello, with whom he toured with for a month last year.

Touring in support of the romance-laden record would be "fun," but Lerche doubts the opportunity to hit the road with a full band would be feasible. He will be performing solo April 6 at the Bowery Ballroom in New York and April 8-9 at the Troubadour in Los Angeles.

"Solo tours are exciting and efficient when all I have to worry about is me," he says. "But this is a band record. It's laid back, it has no pretension, but the work from Erik and the whole group is really what makes it work."

Lerche is taking little time to linger on "Duper Sessions," as he will re-enter the studio next week to begin recording a new "rock" record. The as-yet untitled effort will hopefully be released by the fall, he says, packed with songs he wrote within the last two years.

"With ['Duper Sessions'], I wanted to make a contrast to what I've done before," Lerche says of his two previous efforts, "Faces Down" and "Two Way Monologue." "I didn't want to confuse my listener -- I wanted to do a record that's direct and concise. Transparent. This new one will be a band record as well, but kind of a return. I want it to be punchy, rhythm, kind of primitive, like old XTC and Costello's 'This Year's Model' [or] 'Blood & Chocolate.'"
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Human Hands will not be on the European edition, due out next month -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EH ... nce&n=5174

Duper Sessions
Sondre Lerche

# Audio CD (March 21, 2006)
# Label: Astralwerks
# ASIN: B000EHT5IW

Track Listings

8. Human Hands
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hear Sondre's take on Human Hands here -

http://www.stanford.edu/~coconn/music/0 ... 0Hands.mp3
Hank

Post by Hank »

Hey, this kind of swings. Thanks.

I'm not at all familiar with this guy. But I'm picking up a sort of Jon Brion vibe from him.

I think I like it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sondrelerche.com/diary.asp?id=80

6th March 2006

My Mind Is Just A Blank

I'm currently struck by lightning, listening to Costello's new "My Flame Burns Blue", a wild performance captured on record to the benefit of anyone wise enough to listen up. This shit is bananas.

Like nothing you've ever heard.

It's been a great couple of weeks playing, speaking and posing, all in honour of the the release of "Duper Sessions". I am the proud presenter of this bunch of songs that I've recorded with the legendary Faces Down Quartet!

After all these weeks in Norway, I am now going back to New York to spread the Duper word.

I've written a new rock song that I must finish shortly so we can start playing it when we attempt to rehearse new songs very soon. Tony Hoffer is producing that album. He's done stuff you'd like by Beck, Supergrass, Phoenix, Air and the new Belle & Sebastian. He's wanted to work with me before, and this time our schedules worked out. Over the phone he seems like a great guy, so the guys and I can't wait to finally meet him next month.

I have to admit, I just can't concentrate when listening to the Costello show, so I'll have to leave you at that. But I'll get back soon enough with even less striking comments reflecting the life of another singer/songwriter promoting his more-personal-than-ever new record. Hang on.

Aloha,
SL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sondrelerche.com/news.asp?id=152

Sondre's playlist as DJ Alias at Kanal 24

1. Bedlam / Elvis Costello & The Imposters
2. Little Lies / Fleetwood Mac
3. A Dream Goes On Forever / Todd Rundgren
4. Heard 'Em Say / Kanye West
5. Making Plans For Nigel / XTC
6. Dindi / Astrud Gilberto
7. H Gang / Donald Fagen
8. Take a Bow / Madonna
9. Born Under Punches / Talking Heads
10. Scoundrel Days / a-Ha
11. Deep In A Dream / Chet Baker
12. 1 Thing / Amerie
13. I Used To Be A Design / Heavy Blinkers
14. Sometimes / My Bloody Valentine
15. Night and Day / Charlie Parker
16. Something So Right / Paul Simon
17. Here on the Eerie / Prefab Sprout
18. Frankly, Mr. Shankly / The High Llamas
19. Samurai / Djavan
20. Think / Curtis Mayfield
21. It Never Was You / Lotte Lenya
22. Maria Maria / Milton Nascimento
23. If Its Not With You / Phoenix
24. Waters Of March / Jane Monheit
25. Black Cow / Steely Dan
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The guy's got a good taste in music !
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Musically, he's got it, but I don't hear any, I don't know, passion in the performance. It's like he learned it, but it doesn't mean much more to him than that. Kinda like listening to Phish play the White Album.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... ws_rssfeed

Sondre Lerche Packs Pop "Punch" on New Album

Inspired by Elvis Costello, Norwegian crooner strips it down and gets "primitive"

Known as one of Norway's premier young pop balladeers, Sondre Lerche is preparing to embrace a new sound for his fourth album, tentatively titled Phantom Punch.

Meeting up with Rolling Stone at Los Angeles' Sunset Sound recording studios, Lerche, in a vintage a-ha tee and paisley scarf, says the effort, due this fall, will be made up of tougher, less orchestral material, inspired in part by touring with Elvis Costello. "Seeing Elvis with his band doing the rock stuff every night, it really energized me," he says with a smile. "It made me just want to get back into playing with my band and trying to write some short, punchy songs."

Sessions for the record were initially conducted on the East Coast with Raphael Saadiq. But those recordings were shelved after Lerche and his band, Faces Down (guitarist Kato Adland, bassist Morten Skage and drummer Ole Ludvig Kruger), took his sophomore effort, 2004's Two Way Monologue, on tour with the famously spectacled rocker. Lerche says he returned with a flurry of ideas and began searching for a new partner in crime. "I thought, 'I gotta make this record with someone who doesn't just think 'This could be interesting,' but someone who wants to do it." He turned to Tony Hoffer (Beck, Air).

Due to scheduling conflicts, Phantom Punch had to be delayed, and Lerche absconded to Norway where he laid down another new set of songs, for Duper Sessions, out this past March. "It's a record I'm desperately happy with," Lerche says of the easygoing album, which includes a cover of Costello's "Human Hands." "It's kind of fun, because it comes out right before [Phantom], and it's really the opposite. A really romantic, very old-fashioned pop record."

So does that mean Phantom Punch is its punk antithesis? "It's not a punk record. I'm Sondre Lerche," the smooth-faced crooner says with a laugh. "But I definitely wanted to make a record that has a more primitive attitude, and I mean primitive in the best sense. I wanted a record that was more direct, concise -- simpler songs. I didn't want to mess about with strings or these lush arrangements I'd been perfecting on a couple of the other records. I wanted to make songs that you could just take up the guitar and bang away and get into that sort of physical energy."

Slated for the effort are cuts including "Tragic Mirror," "Well Well Well," "The Tape" and "Happy Birthday Girl." "It's kind of a birthday song, but it's probably a couple of blocks away from [sings] 'Happy birthday to ya!'" says Lerche. "It's a slow, noisy one."

But it's the potential title track, "Phantom Punch," that Lerche seems most thrilled with. "That one's actually a disco waltz. I'm hoping it's the first of its kind," he says. "My wife and I were going to IKEA in Newark [New Jersey], so we were taking the free bus that runs from Penn Station. On the way back, I had this riff in my head, and I recorded it on my cell phone. I haven't done that before -- it's my first riff song. It's got a real rock riff!"

JOLIE LASH

Posted May 24, 2006 6:10 PM
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Sondre's cover of Human Hands will be used in a forthcoming film -

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=38329

News

Peter Hedges Shows Dan in Real Life
Source: Edward Douglas
October 22, 2007

January 2003 was a really good month for screenwriter Peter Hedges as he received an Oscar nomination for his screenplay of About A Boy around the same time that his directorial debut Pieces of April, starring Katie Holmes and Patricia Clarkson, was receiving acclaim at its Sundance Film Festival premiere.

It's been over four years since then, but Hedges' second movie Dan in Real Life is coming out next week and it's sure to appeal to anyone who liked either of those movies, both which showcased Hedges' ability to look at real life in a light and funny yet credible way, something that we don't really see in Hollywood movies too often these days.

ComingSoon.net had a chance to talk to Hedges about this very different take on the romantic comedy genre--if it even can be considered that--that follows Steve Carell's title character, an advice columnist and the single father of three daughters, who spends a week on the shore with his extended family, including his boisterous younger brother Mitch, played by Dane Cook. During a run to the store, Dan meets Marie (Juliette Binoche), a vivaciously beautiful woman who he connects with, only to learn that she's Mitch's new girlfriend. What might play out like an awkward situation comedy, actually deals with a lot of real life issues that anyone can relate to, like fatherhood, family, being alone and finding love.

(extract)

CS
: I always wanted to ask about the singer/songwriter Sondre Lerche, because you hear this great music and you see the credit and you wonder, "Who the hell is this guy and where did he come from?"

Hedges:
Well, again, for me the touchstones or the models of possibility were--and these are iconic films--but "Harold and Maude" with Cat Stevens, "The Graduate" with Simon and Garfunkel, and I felt because I had such resistance to putting music in "Pieces of April" but was able to, working with Stephen Merritt from The Magnetic Fields. That was a good experience, but it came after we shot the movie. I thought, "What if I bring in someone really early and the music becomes a character in the film." So I begin this exhaustive search with the help of people who know more than me about music, and I listened to hundreds of musicians, so many CDs, I still have stacks in my office. I kept listening to this one artist, and there was something about this music that felt kind of timeless and beautiful, and there was a love component but there was a sadness to it. I knew nothing about him. I called up and said, "Who is this guy I keep listening to?" They said, "Oh, he's Norwegian and he's 23" and I said I had to meet him, and I did. I basically gave him "Harold and Maude" and "The Graduate" and explained to him what kind of movie I wanted it to be. I wanted the music to feel completely organic to the film and wanted a hand-made feel, and I heard a trumpet. I wanted the music to kind of feel like the people in the house could play it if they were musicians, but I also wanted him to write songs. He came to rehearsals, he visited the set, he would show up and play themes for me. I'd walk around directing scenes and in between takes, he'd sing songs for everybody. The cast fell in love with him. I knew we were going to use that song at the end, because that was the first song of his that kind of grabbed me--he wrote that when he was 17--I thought it was the movie. Then many of the songs he wrote, maybe 4 or 5 or 6 for the film, and I used a preexisting cover of the Elvis Costello song for football scene.

http://www.sondrelerche.com/news.asp

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480242/

http://www.amazon.com/Dan-Real-Life-Son ... 841&sr=8-1
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Sondre Lerche performing Human Hands (live, Vancouver 2007) :

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=vCCZNV0i0uk
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Review of a gig in Chicago.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/conc ... re-lerche/

Sondre Lerche
20 November 2007: Park West — Chicago, Il
by Timothy G. Merello

Extracts :

Proving himself a modern-day Cole Porter, a tunesmith extraordinaire, Lerche showcased his fanciful wordplay on “Everyone’s Rooting for Youâ€
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Talking about covers, actually...... when is someone going to cover Elvis, and it be a hit??!!!!

Last proper hit I can think of is Girls' Talk by Dave Edmunds, at the start of Elvis's career.

For someone who to my ears has one of the greatest gifts for melody and a poignant lyric in music history, he hasn't been that well covered.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

I think Neil you will find EC has been well covered but NO HITS, and frankly I prefer the man singing his own songs!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I wish he'd get covered more. I know he's had lots of covers, but I'm convinced that some of his ballads could be world-famous songs, if only the conditions were right.

I certainly think Town Cryer could be a ballad standard, as could Still Too Soon To Know, Indoor Fireworks, Motel Matches, All Grown Up, So Like Candy etc etc...
johnfoyle

Re: Sondre Lerche covers Human Hands

Post by johnfoyle »

'Hands
was only ever on the U.S. cd edition of Duper. Duper has , it seems, just debuted on vinyl and features 'Hands. Since that edition will be across all markets this is indeed it's more general debut

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-98827-sond ... 0g-lp.aspx