EC fan victim of London Bombing, July '05

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

EC fan victim of London Bombing, July '05

Post by johnfoyle »

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ ... ?gusrc=rss

Miriam Hyman

Miriam Hyman, 33, spent last Saturday night watching her favourite music star, Elvis Costello, perform on Hampstead Heath after her sister, Esther, 36, bought her tickets as a surprise gift, writes Anushka Asthana.

'We had real quality time together,' said Esther. 'When we got home, we danced in the living room until the early hours and went to bed exhausted, but on a high.'

Next day, the sisters took their mum out for a birthday meal. 'It was smiles all round,' added Esther. 'But now it is so surreal that things have changed so quickly.'

The photo researcher from Finchley, north London, has been missing since Thursday. Her father, John, last spoke to her at 9.45am on her mobile phone after she had been helped out of King's Cross station.

'It was a very bad line,' he said. 'I couldn't hear what she was saying. She was milling around outside King's Cross and that was the last I heard from her.'

After believing that Miriam, had escaped the explosions in the Underground, her family is now petrified that she may have boarded the fateful number 30 bus.

'If Miriam doesn't come back I'll always treasure the memories of that unique day,' said her sister. 'It will be unbearable if I've lost her - we were so close. I'm trying to be positive, but as each moment passes it gets harder.'

Police have put a tracking device on Miriam's phone so that if it is activated they will be able to find her. Her father, who is in his seventies and retired, added: 'It may be that she is in hospital suffering from shock or has lost her purse with her identification in it. We would appeal to anyone who knows anything of her whereabouts to please get in touch.'
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Helios

Post by Helios »

My god, how tragic for the girl & sad for her family. It was comforting to read about her days & mood until that point. A story, with a face to it, really makes it all more real to those outside England. Here's to hope that she will be found. :(
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

It's just horrible what a couple of extremist, brainless and evil people can do to the world to get their means. But they are damn right foolish to beleive that they'll come closer to victory with acts of terrorism. Al Qaeda is not the target, the target is the philosophy and meaning behind it, the Jihad. But nobody wants to deal with it, and so, here's another death beacuse of that.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've seen this girl's picture in our local papers in articles about missing victims of the bombings. The story makes it feel pretty close to home. Very sad.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

It's funny how if someone shares an interest with you and somehow seems like "you're kind of person" it hits home closer than if they have some superficial difference, like if she was fan of someone we were less fond of.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From the Cornbury thread -

Otis reports -

So a nice mix of the classics and the less obvious. I particularly liked the way he started and ended with the latter category, rather than also including Radio Radio or Alison. He was in fine form. Band sounding as perfectly drilled as at Leicester, but like they were really enjoying it too. Didn't talk a huge amount. Made fun of the genteel English country manor aspect of it by talking about taking iced buns with the vicar, did the one about seeing the end of civilisation in the form of a doggie diva stretch limo, and did the usual '50 years ago' Money to Man intro. The really moving bit was before the last song. He said he was reading about the missing from the London bombing in the paper, and suddenly saw his name there. It was in the Observer yesterday (maybe where he saw it). It turns out a woman aged 33 went with her sister to Kenwood last Saturday, Costello being her absolute fave, and the ticket a gift from the sis. They were so high afterwards they stayed up dancing till 2, and then had lunch with their mum the next day. And he said something like 'I want to play this to say how sorry I am to her family'. Real lump in the throat stuff, and he got a suitably supportive cheer. It's classic Elvis to go out on a song that most people there had probably never heard, but to make it totally involving (he got us chorussing 'you and me' with Davey in response to him). It was great.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks for linking the two. These kinds of connections bring home how we are all in this together. Dr J was at the same concert and lives in London, for example. The horrible contrast of her lovely weekend and what then seems to have happened to her echoes that of London's Olympics news and then this.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Miriams death has been confirmed, I'm sure all our sympathies go out to her family and friends.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I will remember this one in particular, as I'm sure many of us will...

Too young...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That is incredibly sad news.

I agree with bobster (not that that's unusual) that somehow it seems sadder knowing that she was a fan of Elvis. It made me wonder if she had ever come across the board or had ever posted, or thought about it or that we may have even passed each other at an Elvis concert.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Innocent, Innocent, Innocent. No effect on the success or failure of the terrorists agenda. Reduced to collateral damage in their quest for the larger mission of eroding trust and destroying freedoms for people who celebrate freedom.

There is some strange comfort in that in the hours immediately before here untimely and grossly unfair death she was able to thoroughly enjoy time with friends and family, and leave an indelible mark on them, and also on us through this forum.

I pray that her death does not go quietly into the night,and that people remember her as time passes, and disallow the mind-numbing media from diverting our attentions to shiny happy thoughts, lest we spend too much time agonizing, mourning, and reflecting on what this really means for our future and the future of our children. Don't allow her to die in vain.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
johnfoyle

Re: EC fan missing in London Bombing

Post by johnfoyle »

What with the inquest on the victims of the '05 London bombings having just finished, here are some relevant links -

http://www.miriam-hyman.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12207391
johnfoyle

Re: EC fan victim of London Bombing, July '05

Post by johnfoyle »

Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

This is all terribly sad, really brings it home because she "was one of us"a tragic loss .

Very moving accout of Elvis' tribute at Cornbury. I've always loved Dark End of the Street, now I'll always associate it with Miriam, may she rest in peace:

At the dark end of the street
That’s where we’ll always meet
Hiding in shadows where we don’t belong
Living in the darkness to hide our wrong
You and me, at the dark end of the street

I know that time’s gonna take it’s toll
We’ll have to pay for the love that we stole
Though it’s a sin and we know it’s wrong
Still our love keeps coming on strong
Tonight we'll meet at the dark end of the street

They’re going to find us
They’re going to find us
They’re going to find us, Lord, one day
Steal away to the dark end of the street

When the daylight hours roll 'round
And by chance we're both downtown
If you should see me then walk on by
Oh my darling, please don’t cry
Tonight we’ll meet, at the dark end of the street
You and me at the dark end of the street

Colin Top Balcony
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse

They interviewed the sister and talked about their going to the EC concert on the BBC news this evening.

Re the Cornbury ref, I recall he said a few words about her as well as playing the song, but I can't recall what. I just remain it made for a very emotional moment in the show.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Re the Cornbury ref, I recall he said a few words about her as well as playing the song, but I can't recall what. I just remain it made for a very emotional moment in the show.
Perhaps you should read your earlier post in this thread!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Ooh yeah, though actually it was a quote from the Cornbury thread! Good to have help from myself, anyway.