Post by BlueChair »

Being There just received this:
Dear Being There,

demonVision is pleased to announce the European DVD premiere release of
"The Right Spectacle: The Very Best Of Elvis Costello - The
Videos. Release date is Monday 5th September, 2005. This spectacular
music archive DVD boasts twenty-seven of Costello's classic pop videos, all
of which includes exclusive audio commentary recorded by Elvis Costello, 70
minutes of rare archive TV footage and a surprise Easter Egg.

Click here for the full on-line press release announcement and photographs:
http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases ... stello.htm

The DVD features the songs "Pump It Up", "Oliver's Army", "Accidents Will
Happen", "New Amsterdam", "Everyday I Write The Book", "Veronica," and many
more classic performances.

In North America, the DVD will be around the same time but on a different
label. We will notify you about the North American release date and the
name of the US distributor over the next month.lo!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

FINALLY! Thanks BlueChair, I've been waiting so long to hear the good news about the release, and it was just killing me. Let me know when you hear about the U.S. release. I hope it really will be around the same time, that would be great. This is gonna be a wonderful addition to my collection :lol:
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

That is encouraging news. I expect a full report on what the easter egg is and how to find it.
Liberace Wexler

Easter Egg on the Right Spectacle DVD

Post by Liberace Wexler »

Dear Wardo Humpty Dumpty,

The whole point of an Easter Egg is the element of surprise. Don't spoil the party. We'll just have to wait and see! Apparently, the DVD includes some unseen performance footage from the British television show, The Tube.

Download the Costello DVD Spectacle banner here (it's free) -
http://www.noblepr.co.uk

Looky yonder...

The Libster
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm with wardo.

I am hopeless with technology and just want to know where to find the Easter Eggs. If they are true surprises then why advertise them?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
wardo68

Re: Easter Egg on the Right Spectacle DVD

Post by wardo68 »

Liberace Wexler wrote:The whole point of an Easter Egg is the element of surprise.
Yes, I know that. However, I think one of our esteemed co-posters will have the discretion of putting the "answer" in a post that gives fair warning of a spoiler, but provides a public service for those of us old folks who lack the time and patience to go digging for it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From the link -
The DVD can be watched with Audio Commentary that Elvis has recorded especially for each video. Costello's witty and lively explanations provide insights into where, why and how the videos were created. Fans will laugh along with Elvis as he tells comic anecdotes and mocks both himself and his fellow band members.
Hmmm.....will one B.Thomas be chortling also?

I reckon Elvis recorded the commentary last August. In the 'on the road' feature with the 'Memphis DVD at one point Elvis says to Pete something about remembering the thrift store clothes they used wear and how watching some old footage 'the other day' had reminded him of that.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The DVD can be watched with Audio Commentary that Elvis has recorded especially for each video. Costello's witty and lively explanations provide insights into where, why and how the videos were created. Fans will laugh along with Elvis as he tells comic anecdotes and mocks both himself and his fellow band members.
LOL. I can't see EC approving that copy. You''ll laugh, you'll cry, you'll cheer - and you'll even learn a little something along the way!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

Do you think the pre-orders (101cd.com) would still be valid? I was wondering because this particular company (Demon?) seems to be promoting it heavily... and because of the changes that have been made to the DVD, including changing the Region of the disk?
Till I speak double Dutch to a real double duchess.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

It ends at Brutal Youth though! Didn't elvis have a video for "Still" and "Monkey to Man"?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

thomasso wrote:It ends at Brutal Youth though! Didn't elvis have a video for "Still" and "Monkey to Man"?
Demon Music Group doesn't have the rights to these videos; Universal Music Group owns these rights.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Liberace Wexler

Easter Egg From Hell

Post by Liberace Wexler »

When someone tells you a joke, you don't want the punchline first, right? When you go hunting for easter eggs when you're a kid, part of the experience is to search for the missing gems. The same thing applies to the Egg on the forthcoming Costello DVD. Why would one person want to spoil the fun for everyone else. You'll just have to wait until September 5th, just like the rest of us.

The Lib-Upstarter :roll:
John

Post by John »

It's strange that there was no video for It's Time, first single from ATUB.
wardo68

Re: Easter Egg From Hell

Post by wardo68 »

Liberace Wexler wrote:When someone tells you a joke, you don't want the punchline first, right? When you go hunting for easter eggs when you're a kid, part of the experience is to search for the missing gems. The same thing applies to the Egg on the forthcoming Costello DVD. Why would one person want to spoil the fun for everyone else. You'll just have to wait until September 5th, just like the rest of us.
I guess we each find our fun in our own ways. And I'll do whatever I can not to spoil the surprise for you, no matter how I come across it.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I don't see what the problem is. If you don't want to know where the Easter eggs are, then don't read the thread called "Elvis Costello Easter Eggs."

And if you do want to know, then don't post it anywhere else.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The DVD isn't even out yet! Let's talk about this in September :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

This is from Pitchfork :

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-0 ... l#costello

Elvis Costello to Release Music Video DVD

David Nadelle reports:
The man born Declan McManus, better known to all as Elvis Costello, has donned many guises over his 30-year career-- young punk, hard-headed band leader, verbose curmudgeon, despondent romantic, media pain-in-the-ass, and more recently classical arranger, dullard collaborator, and trophy husband to MOR jazz lightweight Diana Krall. While it's the young vitriolic Elvis that everyone (i.e. everyone here) loves the most, it's still a pleasant surprise that his upcoming videos collection The Right Spectacle: The Very Best of Elvis Costello - The Videos is filled to bursting with videos culled mostly from Costello's untouchable "early" period.

Demon Vision will release the DVD on September 5, compiling 27 videos spanning the years 1978 to 1994, plus over 70 minutes of bonus footage from rarely seen UK and European TV appearances. If that's not enough to sway you, perhaps you're one of the fans whom the disc's producers hoped to ensnare with comprehensive liner notes and audio commentary for each video specifically recorded for this collection by Costello himself. As long as he keeps the comments about insolent journalists to himself, we're buying. Video tracklist:

01 (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
02 Pump It Up
03 Radio Radio
04 (What So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding
05 Oliver's Army
06 Accidents Will Happen
07 I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
08 High Fidelity
09 Love for Tender
10 Possession
11 New Amsterdam
12 Clubland
13 New Lace Sleeves
14 Good Year for the Roses
15 Sweet Dreams
16 You Little Fool
17 Everyday I Write the Book
18 Let Them All Talk
19 The Only Flame in Town
20 I Wanna Be Loved
21 Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
22 Veronica
23 This Town
24 The Other Side of Summer
25 So Like Candy
26 Sulky Girl
27 13 Steps Lead Down

Bonus material:
01 "Granada Report"/"So It Goes" (UK TV, 1977) - "Alison (excerpt)", "Lip Service", "No Dancing"
02 "Revolver" (UK TV, 1978) - "This Year's Girl", "Radio Radio"
03 "Countdown" (Dutch live club show, 1979) - "Oliver's Army", "Accidents Will Happen", "Watching the Detectives", "You Belong to Me"
04 Pinkpop (Dutch live outdoor festival, 1979) - "Lipstick Vogue", "Watching the Detectives"
05 "What's In" (UK TV, 1981) - "Shot With His Own Gun"
06 "The Tube" (UK TV, 1983) - "Shipbuilding", "Everyday I Write the Book", "Clowntime Is Over", "TKO (Boxing Day)"
07 "Mandagsboren" (Swedish TV, 1983) - "Big Sister's Clothes", "Peace in Our Time"
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:David Nadelle reports:
The man born Declan McManus, better known to all as Elvis Costello, has donned many guises over his 30-year career-- young punk, hard-headed band leader, verbose curmudgeon, despondent romantic, media pain-in-the-ass, and more recently classical arranger, dullard collaborator, and trophy husband to MOR jazz lightweight Diana Krall.
Those idiots at Pitchfork are so far up their own asses it's unreal. What a jerk. Did any of you see the excellent Pitchfork review parody that David Cross did a few weeks ago? Let me see if I can find the link.

Ah, here it is:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/features/ ... _david-05/
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I much prefer Being There as an online resource 8)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:I much prefer Being There as an online resource 8)
Me too!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Did any of you see the excellent Pitchforrk review parody that David Cross did a few weeks ago? Let me see if I can find the link.

Ah, here it is:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/features/ ... _david-05/
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

This DVD seems like good stuff, but I'd prefer a DVD with ALL of his video cilps (if you throw in some live material, some interviews and some never before seen footage, I might call it a masterpiece)! :o
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

It is indeed an excellent collection of clips... although I am not sure I want to sit through the excessively cringeworthy "The Only Flame In Town" in a hurry.

On the other hand, I look forward to my favourite EC clip "I Wanna Be Loved".
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Tim(e) wrote:It is indeed an excellent collection of clips... although I am not sure I want to sit through the excessively cringeworthy "The Only Flame In Town" in a hurry.
I'm really excited to hear what Elvis has to say about that one on the commentary :lol:
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

BlueChair wrote:
Tim(e) wrote:It is indeed an excellent collection of clips... although I am not sure I want to sit through the excessively cringeworthy "The Only Flame In Town" in a hurry.
I'm really excited to hear what Elvis has to say about that one on the commentary :lol:
You make a good point and as a result I have revised my stance - I too now look forward to it :twisted: