God Give Me Strength

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

God Give Me Strength

Post by johnfoyle »

God Give Me Strength was first performed 10 years ago on April 11 1995. Elvis was doing a series of support slots on a U.K.tour by Bob Dylan , in effect road testing songs that he would record with the Attractions for All This Useless Beauty.

The final date was at The Point , Dublin.

http://www.expectingrain.com/dok/set/95/1995.html

Amongst many new tracks he did GGMS , introducing it as a song he had just written. With just guitar accompaniment he sang about half of what would be the finished song -

Now I have nothing, so God give me strength
'Cause I'm weak in her wake
And if I'm strong I might still break
And I don't have anything to share
That I won't throw away into the air

That song is sung out
This bell is rung out
She was the light that I'd bless
She took my last chance at happiness
So God give me strength, God give me strength

I can't hold onto her, God give me strength
When the phone doesn't ring
And I'm lost in imagining
Everything that kind of love is worth
As I tumble back down to the earth

That song is sung out
This bell is rung out
So God give me strength.

Perhaps the song was yet to be finished . However listening to an audience tape it can be heard that Elvis makes a mistake in the third last line of the repeat of the chorus , singing 'She took the light that I'd bless' instead of 'She was the light that I'd bless' . Maybe this error - he paused ever so slightly after making it - threw him of course and he truncated the version.

In subsequent interviews Elvis told of returning to his Dublin home and faxing the lyric / singing it into the answerphone of L.A. resident Burt Bachrach, continuing the process of completing a joint composition for a movie soundtrack. The rest of the Dylan show had been hectic. After guesting along with Van Morrison with Dylan on stage , a mishap involving another guest must have caused consternation all round. Then Dublin resident Carole King had a fall backstage after the show , breaking her arm.

In due course the All This Useless Beauty sessions commenced. A comment on the later re-issue states -

http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/atub.html

GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH (ALTERNATE VERSION)
Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach wrote "God Give Me Strength" to be sung by the main character in the film Grace Of My Heart. It apparently took quite some time before somebody came up with the idea of Elvis and Burt also recording it together, and before that happened Elvis recorded this version with the Attractions during the All This Useless Beauty sessions. It was included in a preliminary lineup for Rhino's reissue, and Elvis even mentions it in the liner notes. But according to Elvis, "no decent mix of it has come to light," hence its ultimate exclusion. Why not remix it from the multitracks, Elvis?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having heard this version , I would suggest another , more practical reason for its exclusion . In short , Elvis' vocal is poor . He semi-mumbles the last few lines . The musical backing is also rather basic. The drum effect behind the all important 'I want him/ I want him to hurt ' compares very badly with the subsequent U.S. studio version.

It does , however , feature the rest of the songs lyric -

God if she'd grant me her indulgence and decline
I might as well wipe her from my memory
Fracture the spell as she becomes my enemy
Maybe I was washed out like a lip-print on his shirt
See, I'm only human, I want him to hurt
I want him
I want him to hurt

[instrumental]
Since I lost the power to pretend
That there could ever be a happy ending

That song is sung out
This bell is rung out
So God give me strength, God give me strength

What with all of Elvis' other activities that year - Meltdown , ATUB recording etc - and the slowness of movie production it would be 1996 before the next step of this songs life.

The Grace Of My Heart film -
see
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116442/

'Riveting tale about an aspiring singer, Edna Buxton (Denise Waverly) wonderfully played by Illeana Douglas, who sacrifices her own singing career to write hit songs that launch the careers of other singers. The film follows her life from her first break, through the pain of rejection from the recording industry and a bad marriage, to her final triumph in realizing her dream to record her own hit album.'

was going to feature modern day song writers doing songs in a 1960's style. Elvis 'n Burts song would be sung by a lady singer. However it was decided to do a version by the composers. On Monday February 12th 1996 they , along with session musicians , assembled at Right Track Studio, New York. A lengthy session ensued , with the perfectionism of both principals bringing out great performances by all concerned , especially drummer Chris Parker.

http://www.parkerdrum.com/

The finished version eventually turned up on the film soundtrack in Sept. 1996. Illeana Douglas performance of the song in the film was dubbed by Kristen Vigard . Her version eventually turned up on a 1999 compilation -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 49-9305658

Heart Beats: Love Scene - Romantic Movie Music
Various Artists
Audio CD (January 19, 1999)

Original Release Date: January 19, 1999

Label: Rhino Records
Catalog: #75570
ASIN: B00000GC0V

Ms Vigard's vocal is perfect here, accurately catching the barely restrained emotion that the film's character is feeling. Kristen recorded it again - less successfully - in 2004 , see
http://www.kristenvigard.net/.

Incidentally , some lyric sites state that , besides the gender alterations for the female vocal version , the line ' This bell is rung out ' is replaced by the rather dire pun ' This belle is wrung out'.

The song has gone on to be covered many times -
see
http://home.cfl.rr.com/jdha/stuff/ecmco ... ist.html#g

- I've only heard - and liked - Alison Moyet's version. I can't wait to hear The Chubbies doing a 'Surf' version!

Elvis continues to perform the song, most recently in Buxton , England.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

10 years goes by pretty fast! Great recap, Mr. Foyle -- when's the book coming out?
And No Coffee Table

Re: God Give Me Strength , 10 years old on April 11

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:On Monday February 12th 1996 they , along with session musicians , assembled at Right Track Studio, New York.
What's your source for the February 12th recording date? Beyond Belief (#6) said February 9th but also apparently identified the wrong recording studio (Orpheum Studios).

(And to add to the confusion, Rhino's Bacharach box set says it was recorded at Record Plant in L.A.!)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

What's your source for the February 12th recording date? Beyond Belief (#6) said February 9th but also apparently identified the wrong recording studio (Orpheum Studios).
The drummer Chris Parker told me this date in a personal e-mail. The studio info. is from the PFM sleeve. Yes , I also subsequently saw the Feb. 9 date in B.B. . Since Mr Parker was so specific I'm going with that.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

"See, I'm only human, I want him to hurt "... great line.

"She took the light that I'd bless" - Interesting.... what did she take?
elvicos01

Re: God Give Me Strength , 10 years old on April 11

Post by elvicos01 »

I first heard this song on the Tribute to Burt Bacherach special broadcast on TNT on US Cable, I thought it was brilliant. I had to listen again (lucky TNT re-broadcast this special many times at that time) and I have loved this song ever since. Whenever I make a cd to listen to in the car, GGMS is always on it.

I think this song, both in the studio and any live performance shows how Elvis has grown as a vocalist. I wouldn't think this is an easy song to perform, yet I have yet to hear bad performance of this song.
Why are we racing to be so old?
sexysadie7

one of my faves, but...

Post by sexysadie7 »

While I am a high school English teacher and analyze literature all the time, I have had a hard time trying to figure out if Elvis intended to say "I want him to hurt." On the Kristen Vigard version, she says, "I want him to hurt." Was Elvis' singing that an error or do you think that he intended the twist?

OK...probably a stupid question. Elvis is always one to throw in something to mess with our normal thinking...Why wouldn't he play with our heads this time? Still, I wonder what the deal is. (since we analyze so much here anyway!) Any thoughts?

:roll:
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'I want him to hurt' seems credible as a line for both genders. A male singer might be wishing that the man his girl is now with will 'hurt' just as much when he is , in turn , dumped by her . A female singer might be wishing that her former male partner will one day 'hurt' as much as she now does as a result of him dumping her. Or something.

Relationships - I never understood them , I never will .
bobster

Post by bobster »

The Kristin Visgard version is by far my favorite version of the song. It's actually one of my least favorite parts of "Painted from Memory," which I love.

To me, the EC/Burt recording reaches for a kind of drama that Elvis's voice simply isn't capable of. Actually, heretical as it may seem, I still wish that album could be rerecorded with a singer who is truly comfortable with that kind of material, though the Dustys and Dionnes of this decade aren't exactly apparent.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The drummer Chris Parker has given me permission to share these memories of the session -

I was particuliarly impressed with Elvis that day because although
having just flown in from London,jet-lagged and all, he sang
consistently great, in full voice, through every rundown while the
arrangement was fine-tuned.Each take, got better and more emotional
than the one before.

Also,a lot of people from the movie side of the production were
hanging out in the control room gradually entering into the recording
process making small suggestions and comments during
playbacks, until,finally,his patience at an end,Burt B. turned to the
most enthusiastic of these folks and said pointedly,"....it's not
about... 'the MOVIE' !
That put everyone back on track with the recording.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Now that's a great story.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
alexv

Post by alexv »

John and Sadie, as we know EC's lyrics are often disjointed, and frequently he throws in stuff that just sounds right with the melody, so it's fruitless to analyse his songs looking for lines that make sense. Hey, but it's still fun and kills some time, so, speaking of God Give Me Strenght, my sense of that "I want him to hurt" line is that the song is about someone, a male, who has lost his love, and at this point in the song we get a glimpse that part of the reason for the loss is the appearance of another man. In the prior line, the other man is introduced with: "Maybe I was washed out like a lip-print on his shirt" which I interpret as the singer noting the evidence of her infidelity to him as evidenced by the lipstick stain on the other man's shirt. But hey, with EC you never know what the heck he's talking about.

My incomprehensible line from the song? "God if she'd grant me her indulgence and decline". What's that all about? Did he mean to say if she'd grant him her indulgence (second chance?) and I would decline. Why would she grant something and then decline?
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

With much thanks to martinfoyle and stormwarning, I have posted this performance of the song on storm's 'X Drive'.

login = almostblue

"07 - God Give Me Strength.wav"

enjoy
Why are we racing to be so old?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump!
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

johnfoyle wrote:Bump!
Sorry,I'm not "au fait" with such internet terms,John.

What does "bump"mean?
And how do i find the elusive "Matt Dillon version" ?

Hope someone has it!
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

elvicos01 wrote:With much thanks to martinfoyle and stormwarning, I have posted this performance of the song on storm's 'X Drive'.

login = almostblue

"07 - God Give Me Strength.wav"

enjoy
Just tried that but it's invalid now.
Any n got this version?
Thanks in advance
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

What does "bump"mean?
Apologies snapyou ; I posted that at lunchtime, meaning to edit in something . Then I got called away and have only got back now. The "Matt Dillon version" is , indeed , different to the 'God,Loves and Angels'. I see it's rather pricey on Amazon at the moment. I'll PM you and hopefully sort out something.
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

johnfoyle wrote:

What does "bump"mean?
Apologies snapyou ; I posted that at lunchtime, meaning to edit in something . Then I got called away and have only got back now. The "Matt Dillon version" is , indeed , different to the 'God,Loves and Angels'. I see it's rather pricey on Amazon at the moment. I'll PM you and hopefully sort out something.
THANKS<John:mush appreciated.I've PMed you too
johnfoyle

Re: God Give Me Strength , 10 years old on April 11 '05

Post by johnfoyle »

http://housemirth.blogspot.com/2008/12/ ... ening.html

Monday, December 08, 2008

James Marcus blogs
(extract)

Meanwhile, I was prepared for a similarly funereal atmosphere at a panel I attended this weekend, "Deep Listening: Why Audio Quality Matters." The event was sponsored by the Philoctetes Center, which is an arm of the New York Psychoanalytic Institute, and as I entered the somber NYPI building on East 82nd Street, I immediately felt some anxiety about locating the right room. Would I wander into some starchy discussion about Little Hans? But no, the room I eventually entered had a record player sitting on a low table in front of the participants. That archaic machine (I speak as the proud owner of a Rega P-1 with the groovy glass platter upgrade) sealed the deal.

The panelists were an impressive bunch. Greg Calbi, Steve Berkowitz, Kevin Killen, and Craig Street have collectively produced, engineered, mixed, or mastered thousands of records, including more desert island discs than you can shake a palm frond at. Michael Fremer is the kingpin of today's back-to-vinyl movement, as well as a senior contributing editor at Stereophile. And Evan Cornog (who is incidentally the publisher of CJR) was there to represent that chimerical figure, the Listener--more specifically, the audio freak who spends every last dime to ascend the Everest of high fidelity. (For him, Cornog noted, the event was more or less "an intervention.")

And what did they have to say?

Killen was recalling the session for Elvis Costello's "God Give Me Strength." He noted that the song had been conceived for a crappy movie whose title he couldn't remember. At once the image of Illeana Douglas singing the piece (actually she was lip-synching to a version by Kristen Vigard) popped into my head: it was the only memorable moment of the film, which was otherwise redeemed by John Turturro's amusing turn as a faux Phil Spector. "Wasn't that You Light Up My Life?" I called out, instantly realizing I had the title wrong. Folks, it was Grace of My Heart. Cringing with embarrassment, I certainly wasn't going to add that I had some problems with Elvis Costello's own version: the man is a genius, but his latter-day vocal style, with its adenoidal croon and wide, mawkish vibrato, doesn't always work for me. So I kept my mouth shut. Luckily or unluckily my goofy interjection will soon be available on streaming audio and video here. -

http://www.philoctetes.org/Past_Program ... ty_Matters

( Kevin talks about GGMS at 86 minutes into this )

In this case low resolution will do quite nicely, thanks.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A neat encapsulation of this song -

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/01/04/s ... ace-of-my/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some new comments elsewhere here seems good enough reason to 'bump' this!
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

wow, time flies, it'll be twenty years old in a couple of years. tee hee
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Wonderful record from a wonderful Album. There I've said it
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

In a Facebook discussion this evening about how , it seems, poorly the prints of cinema films are being stored/maintained , the director of Grace Of My Heart Allison Anders makes the alarming comment -

Well for me personally there is no decent print of my first two films and Universal destroyed all the prints of Grace Of My Heart (yeah destroyed them). Michael Friend when he was at Sony got the elements restored -- even in the late 90s -- of Gas Food Lodging and Mi Vida Loca so that prints could be struck from them and they could be digitized etc. So yes, incredibly this stuff is falling apart -- and they were shot on film -- my last two films were not -- which is even scarier as the above post mentions.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »