Lincoln Center, First Night

Pretty self-explanatory
Poppet

Lincoln Center, First Night

Post by Poppet »

hmm. was expecting someone would have put up the setlist.

here's my take on it -

Barcelona (orchestra alone, no elvis, no professor)
ORDER FROM HERE - CAN'T RECALL
Clubland
Someone Took the Words Away
Punishing Kiss
Dust
Put Away Forbidden Playthings
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
(Mingus) ?I Hope I Wake Up in Time? (last before break)

-intermission-

Watching the Detectives
When green eyes turn blue
almost blue
god give me strength (second of two encores)

-------

some pieces were w/ guitar - on these steve seemed to REALLY be thrashing the piano. melodica used at one point.

elvis mentioned that diana is in denver, in response to a screamed something before almost blue.

it's late. my brain is fried.

it was a great show. crowd seemed quite appreciative, and not rude - only one outburst, and it wasn't a stupid one .
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Get up you lot in NY! I can`t wait to hear your accounts of last night.
They only account -besides the above - I can find is from some gobshite who was obviously expecting Pump It Up etc.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/dbborr ... 04276.html

ELVIS NIGHT ONE- with Metrople Orchestra
Okay we left at intermission---but thats not a bad thing, Elvis said that this was one of his most eclectic group of songs ever.

ANd theres the problem. Its Elvis Costello as Sinatra and every other type of performer imaginable. None of it was bad, its just, little of it belonged grouped together. If you ever wanted to hear every song he wrote for films- they were here-
songs he wrote ne lyrics to were here too. Some clasics were here, but mostly it was a good many slow songs around up beat songs. It was emotional whiplash.

None of it was bad, the problem was the arrangements didn't belong together, or at least in that order.

When he hit the heights it was awesome, I am now really looking forward to Thursday as a result, but if he is as odd that night I'll walk.

Tonight was a night for everyone who was a major fan and thought he'd never do this or that because of the orchestrations, but two songs from north, another from SHort Cuts (which he never sang), and some odd reworkings into big band tunes made you wonder who we were there for.

As I said its was too odd to sit for another 90 minutes and hend up with a 1 am bed time.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Isn't this just luverly - while Elvis mentioned Diana on stage in NY , she did the same in Denver -

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/m ... 14,00.html

Krall's show was entirely different from her last performance at the Paramount Theatre, mostly because she dove straight into her latest CD, The Girl in the Other Room, which features her songwriting debut.

Much of the new album was co- written with husband Elvis Costello, who also performed Tuesday night, albeit a half-continent away.

"We're doing dueling concerts. Right now, he's onstage at Lincoln Center," Krall noted.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Some mp3s from last night are available here, grab 'em while you can

http://www.elvis-costello.com/news/
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Those mp3's are great. FavHour is a bit seeeeeerious, maaan, but Watching The Dets. is a riot. "SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT! SHOOT!" Good work that guy...

I have a few little illicit mp3's I took at gigs last year, I should host them somewhere. Here's Radiohead's No Surprises: Linkylink

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I Wonder How She Knows
Clubland
Someone Took the Words Away
Still
Punishing Kiss
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Put Away Forbidden Playthings
Dust
My Flame Burns Blue
(Mingus tune – didn’t catch name but shorter than what Poppet posted)

Intermission

Favourite Hour
That's How You Got Killed Before
When Did I Stop Dreaming
Can You Be True?
Almost Ideal Eyes
Speak Darkly My Angel
When Green Eyes Turn Blue
Watching the Detectives
Episode of Blonde
--
Almost Blue
--
God Give Me Strength

The two tunes with guitar were Deep Dark Truthful Mirror, on which he played an acoustic, and Dust, on which he played a hollow-body electric and WAILED on it.

"Almost Blue" wasn't a true encore, in that nobody left the stage. EoB had been announced as the last number, but it was clear from the standing O that an encore was in order, so all stayed put. That was the number that featured Steve on the melodica.

Excellent show! More later.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

okay, i'm up.

i didn't fully read the lj response above. what a fuck-wad.

it was wonderful.

oh, YAY hungup!!! thank you SO much for the proper set list.

not feeling very erudite - i was up MUCH too late last night.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Poppet wrote:what a fuck-wad.
What a great saying. I shall try and slip in nonchanantly into conversation!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Punishing Kiss with orchestra.... interesting. But he never sang it??? Or did that mean that he never sang it on Short Cuts (which he didn't, some cabaret singer did)? If he did sing it, did it stand out? It's a great song.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

ELVIS NIGHT ONE- with Metrople Orchestra
Okay we left at intermission---but thats not a bad thing
Wow, what a weird review. "I liked every song, but I left halfway through because they didn't belong together!"
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

he sang punishing kiss.

honestly, it's not one of my favorite tunes. it was fine, nice w/ orchestra, good to hear elvis do his own stuff written for others, but not a highlight, at least not for me.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Elvis is truly a New Yorker now. Right before Clubland, he said, "It's good to go traveling, but it's so very good to return home."

Just before doing Someone Took the Words Away, he said that he'd had the opportunity to do the North songs but never in their full orchestrations. He seemed to revel in performing with such a full band, and he made good use of their abilities. He also, from a paper he had on his sheet music stand, read off the names of the various soloists after each number. His Dutch renderings were passable.

About My Flame Burns Blue, he said this was a tune by the brilliant Billy Strayhorn, the last thing he wrote before he died, and his estate kindly allowed Elvis to put words to it. Strayhorn's composition was called Blood Count, but Elvis calls his version My Flame Burns Blue.

The reference to Diana went like this. He was introducing AB and said something like this:
"This is a song that has been through many arrangements, most recently on an album by a beautiful blonde lady . . . ."
(shriek, female fan in one of the front rows to EC's left . . . EC grins, audience laughter and murmuring)
"Darling! How did you get here so fast from Denver?"
Sometimes it delays it"
laurencat

Last night's concert

Post by laurencat »

Felt like Elvis was working out some ideas, which is both what I enjoyed and a criticism - seemed like the orchestra needed more rehearsal. They didn't always start together, often didn't get the feel of the song and seemed unsure of what to do when they weren't playing. They appreciated the applause though!

Elvis' voice sounds better than ever, and he sure was enjoying himself. Songs from North were best suited to the arrangements. Some of the older tunes could have used more work on the arrangements. Watching the Detectives was great. I didn't think Clubland worked so well.

The mix of songs was better than when he performed with the Mingus Orchestra, but they could have been grouped together better, eg; build up to the heavier ones.

Looking forward to The Imposters on Thursday. :-)
lovesickoflove

Post by lovesickoflove »

bambooneedle wrote:Punishing Kiss with orchestra.... interesting. But he never sang it??? Or did that mean that he never sang it on Short Cuts (which he didn't, some cabaret singer did)? If he did sing it, did it stand out? It's a great song.
this wasn't one of the better tunes IMO - the first set was a bit difficult in parts (Put Away Forbidden Playthings) - the tunes just weren't meshing or something.

that having been said, the second set was better. no surprise that a lot of blue shirts/blue hairs left after the intermission though - i actually heard people bitching about their comp seats, and there were quite a few "i hope i hear alison"s heard in ladies room as well...

but there were some great moments too of course - the mp3 choices are definitely highlights (turns out i was sitting next to the taper btw :twisted: ) - others for me included dust and episode of blonde.

all in all it was an interesting show - it's cool the delivery man is mixing it up a bit.

see ya tomorrow! -lsol
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i agree w. the comment that the orchestra was uneven at points. sometimes it sounded off, slightly out of tune due to the parts not coming in all at once.

i really enjoyed Put Away Forbidden Playthings - i totally dig medieval instruments, and the sound, originally written for viol (i think EC said), is that sort of tonal quality.

i'm really glad i missed the 'wish i'd heard alison's. i might have gotten violent. :)

i'm not an apologist for elvis - the constant changes in tempo - rockin' song. slow song. rockin'. slow - were off-putting. hard to get comfy for an audience. but, it's also not up to elvis to make us comfy. it's up to him to present music worth hearing. i think i got it. :) with a few rough edges.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I was at the first show too~ sitting directly behind the very entheusiastic woman who screeched out before AB. It was pretty funny, not rude at all.

I thought EC sounded better than ever. True, it was quite different in song selection than w/the Mingus BB (I thought both EC and the Mingus Band were fantastic!! EC was charming and in great form and the musicians' performances were jaw dropping.) I really had no idea what we were in store for w/the Metropol.

I loved Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue and always love hearing DDTM. I don't mean that to sound like "just a mention". Besides just loving the song, EC is just incredible performing it. His voice range and strength and emotion....and Steve's piano!

I loved hearing Ideal Eyes. I don't know if I've heard it live before, and even if I had, it was still a rare treat.

Dust was incredible. Elvis did wale on the guitar! So cool. And WTD was infectious. I felt like doing the Cha~cha. So, so cool.
I really liked the arrangment for AB, but I didn't like the vocals. Not EC's voice, just the way he sang it.

I had a great time. My husband did too. He likes Elvis too, but not like I do. It was funny because when it came time to purchase the tickets for these Lincoln Center shows, he joked with me about not really wanting to go. He got me so wound up, I was thinking screw him, I'll go alone. So there was an empty seat between me and the woman next to me, who came alone. After the intermission I realized that no one was going to be sitting there, so we moved over a seat and I struck up a conversation with her. She said she was alone because she was sick of trying to find people to drag along to EC shows and we just took it from there. Needless to say, she was a very entheusiastic fan and it made me laugh because I just kept thinking that that was almost me. And we both agreed......SO WHAT!
And the woman sitting next to her, she said, was complaining to her husband through the whole show and she was expecting them not to return after the intermission. But they did. I swear, this woman sat there in a snit and never clapped once. Even at the end when everyone stood, she just stood there. I 've never seen anything like it. Fuckwad (ha!)

EC is better than he ever was and his performances just keep getting better and better. He does not disappoint. His stage presense is incredible and he blows me away every time he walks out onto the stage.

I'm looking forward to the Imposters tomorrow night and I can't wait to hear Il Sogno on Saturday. See ya then.
I'm not angry anymore....
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Listening to the mp3s, Elvis voice sounds great. Love that rinky dink bass line in Detectives, it'll be going around in my head all day.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

an mp3 of Clubland is up today--I don't think it was there yesterday. You lucky dogs that were there!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

For those who may be wondering about Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue, it was the first EC song. I probably should have used that title instead of I Wonder How She Knows, which is what Charles Brown called it.

Elvis' stage patter was charming. In addition to naming the soloists as I said earlier, he also mentioned the songs' arrangers in most cases. After Upon a Veil of Mignight Blue, he talked about Charles Brown's recording in much the same terms as he did in the A Case for Song program. Since I have that on tape, I'll give you that version instead of a bad paraphrase of what he said Tuesday night.

About Charles Brown, he said, "He's a very sophisticated , urbane kind of blues singer, likes clever words and everything, and I prided myself that I could write just the right song for him. And I wrote the following words for him, thinking I might write a song where you put the martini on top of the piano and look into your girlfriend's eyes and sing:

You find your tongue is tied
Your words escape and hide
But she's so patient and kind
She's prepared to read your mind
It's all very well until you find
Because of the wine you drank
Your mind is just a blank

"Well, I thought, 'Put another olive in that martini.' Anyway, I sent my little demo to Charles Brown, and he did a blues version of it, you know, did a reduction of it, and when he came to that bit in the song, he changed the words to, 'I find it hard to think when I drink'."
Sometimes it delays it"
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

It was a strange show, different from any other EC show I've been to. Definitely not for the casual fan.

Many of the arrangements sounded familiar. WTD was the same arrangement that he did with the Ray Nathanson horns last year at the Beacon. How You Got Killed Before sounded pretty similar to the one with the Confederates. I've heard Clubland before with a latin beat, but with a different arrangement (I saw EC and SN do it back in 1997 or 1998).

EC's lead guitar, usually not one if his strong points, was excellent (and a little trippy) on Dust. He used a volume pedal to create volume swells that sounded really cool.

A few of the orchestra members really seemed to be enjoying themselves. One of the viola players (a young woman with a cam corder under her seat) and one of the violin players (a young man nearest the end of the stage in the second row) really seemed to be enjoying themselves. The third chair violin player, however, had a pretty distainful look on her face the entire show.

EC looked like he was wearing someone else's suit. He was wearing a tux with an open collar. The sleeves are too long and he grabs the end of the sleeve with his fingers. Maybe it was a nervous habit (he looked nervous at times, especially at the beginning of the show). Or maybe it was just a rental.

I had a hard time hearing Steve through most of the show. There was one song where he was featured (I forget which one, but I think it was one of the North songs) and he played beautifully, of course.

By the way, I recall EC saying it was the most ECCENTRIC night of music (not eclectic), but I could be wrong. Either description is apt, though.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

can somebody send me a link, whatever, to the mp3's from the first night? they're no longer up (not that i expected them to still be there) asking 'cause i got them on my home computer, and my boss wants them. help me butter up the boss! :)
Pov

Post by Pov »

Poppet wrote:can somebody send me a link, whatever, to the mp3's from the first night? they're no longer up (not that i expected them to still be there) asking 'cause i got them on my home computer, and my boss wants them. help me butter up the boss! :)
Poppet, if no one else responds PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you when I get home tonite.
banshee

Post by banshee »

Longtime fan here, but newbie to this board -- I made it to the first and second shows at Lincoln Center but missed the third. Both shows were incredible! What a treat to hear him do most of the new album (Thursday night) and many songs he's never recorded (Tuesday night -- Upon A Veil..., Punishing Kiss, and the like). He noted that Punishing Kiss was for Short Cuts (Annie Ross) and that Ute Lemper had recently recorded it but that he'd decided to take the song back from her for the night, "and let me tell you...that girl can wrestle."

I found this site just today after looking up lyrics for Love That Burns, which was an incedible performance - he must've dragged that one out into about 10-12 minutes. My search led me to a site that linked to this site, where I saw the mentions of MP3s and was crushed to learn they're not available anymore. Any chance I can get these from someone??? I am dying to have something to remember the evening(s) by other than my poor memory!
Pov

Post by Pov »

PM me with your email address and I can send them to you the same time I send them to Poppet.

And if anyone has an mp3 of Sweet Dreams of You from Thursday nite I REALLY want a copy 8)
banshee

Post by banshee »

ah thank you! PM is forthcoming... And I agree - Sweet Dreams was quite the stunner. I took a friend to the rock concert (the least I could do since she let me crash on the couch for several days) and she's not real familiar with his work but loved the show - even tho' the hall's acoustics muddied many lyrics -- and kept talking about Sweet Dreams afterwards and the next day.