UNFAITHFUL MUSIC & DISAPPEARING INK - Oct. 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

UNFAITHFUL MUSIC & DISAPPEARING INK - Oct. 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=7505

Elvis Costello signs two-book deal

by Matthew Flamm

Singer-songwriter Elvis Costello will be telling his life story and sharing secrets about music.

The cult favorite has made a high-six-figure to low-seven-figure two-book deal with Simon & Schuster.

One book will be a memoir that takes off from some of Mr. Costello’s song lyrics. The other title will offer his insights into playing guitar and making music.
Copyright 2004, Crain Communications, Inc
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I never thought Id see the day . . .

I wonder if he just needs the money or if he just really has changed his mind about everything?
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

Wow.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Considering the fact that we've been seeing a full expansion of liner notes, this doesn't surprise me at all. I suspect he will still be secretive where he wants to be.

Bob Dylan is also coming out with a series of books about his life story, but I don't expect it to be about his life story at all!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

*checking calendar* Nope, not April 1st.

Wow. What's next, a chain of family-oriented vegetarian restaurants? He's a natural to write two such books, and I look forward to them, but I worry the guy is gonna keel over from over-committed-ness...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wow! That's sounds really interesting. :D
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

I agree with Blue Chair, these things are usually about as revealing as the Beatles Anthology...that is, er, not a lot. However, EC does have a very special way with words, but a bit early for the memoirs isn't it?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

These books are hardly surprising - I reckon they`ll merely be all the re-issue sleeve notes all mushed together. A re-issue of a re-issue if you will. Hope they have indexes - the `net has me spolit as regards having to wade through whole books to get info..
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

so is their any good reading material on EC out there? .. I thought
"Big Wheel" was actually interesting, and only made fun of the spray on the microphone and things like that. I believe a couple of books have
been wirtten in attempts to explain EC lyrics.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Also, by writing an autobiography, EC maintains some control over the content of the sort of collective version of his lifestory in the public's mind.

If I were EC (and, unfortunately I am not) I would use Akira Kurasawa's "Something Like an Autobiography" as a model. It's a brief book (it ends before he even made "Rashomon", I believe) and it only covers his personal life as it directly relates to his films without really revealing anything remotely gossipy. It's also a terrific book.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

The unauthorised biography by Tim Clayton Lea was alright...but it felt really scant because it was put together from articles and interviews from the media...Im interested in his early life really, none of that kiss and tell shit, I couldn't give two hoots who he's shagged!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

laughingcrow wrote:The unauthorised biography by Tim Clayton Lea was alright...but it felt really scant because it was put together from articles and interviews from the media...Im interested in his early life really, none of that kiss and tell shit, I couldn't give two hoots who he's shagged!
I'm reading that right now.

I have the Singing Dictionary coming in the mail, and I want to read "Let Them All Talk" very badly.

<3,
s.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

wehitandrun wrote:I want to read "Let Them All Talk" very badly.

You're all set cause that's just how it's written. But fine for a laugh.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

selfmademug wrote:
wehitandrun wrote:I want to read "Let Them All Talk" very badly.

You're all set cause that's just how it's written. But fine for a laugh.

Yeah, funny. I can always count on the clever selfmademug!

<3,
s.
IStandAccused

Re: Elvis signs two book deal

Post by IStandAccused »

They got it a bit wrong- the press release that is. Yes, it is two books but it is NOT a bio per se. It is a "fictionalized" take on the songs. The other book will be a "how to" play guitar kind of thing. So, for those of you that think they are going to get a "non-fiction" version of the Costello story can keep dreaming- it ain't gonna happen.
johnfoyle wrote:http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=7505

Elvis Costello signs two-book deal

by Matthew Flamm

Singer-songwriter Elvis Costello will be telling his life story and sharing secrets about music.

The cult favorite has made a high-six-figure to low-seven-figure two-book deal with Simon & Schuster.

One book will be a memoir that takes off from some of Mr. Costello’s song lyrics. The other title will offer his insights into playing guitar and making music.
Copyright 2004, Crain Communications, Inc
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

IStandAccused wrote:Yes, it is two books but it is NOT a bio per se. It is a "fictionalized" take on the songs.

Im not sure I understand exactly what that means . . .
IStandAccused

Post by IStandAccused »

Just what it says- he will not be writing a "non-fiction" account of the songs or his life. It will be more like "story-telling" I have been told by a very reliable source. Besides, no need for him to write it in "bio" form since he has already done that on the re-issues. How much more can the guy say about his songs anyway? It is NEVER the same story twice and never will be. The songs change their meaning as EC changes his partners, in case you haven't noticed.
pip_52 wrote:
IStandAccused wrote:Yes, it is two books but it is NOT a bio per se. It is a "fictionalized" take on the songs.

Im not sure I understand exactly what that means . . .
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

What...so stories about the songs?

e.g here's a story about a chick called Georgie, and this guy she has phone sex with...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/200 ... deal_x.htm

Elvis Costello agrees to two-book deal

NEW YORK (AP) — Elvis Costello has agreed to a two-book deal with Simon & Schuster, but don't expect any juicy music industry gossip.

In a statement issued Tuesday, the publisher said Costello had "resisted the rewards for writing a traditionally scurrilous and scandalous biographical memoir."

The first book, scheduled for fall 2005, will be a "series of intimate narrative chapters taking their cue from the styles, themes and characters found in a number of Costello's lyrics."

The second book will be a "work of comic philosophy" entitled How to Play the Guitar, Sing Loudly and Impress Girls ... or Boys.

Costello, inducted in 2003 into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is known for songs including Watching the Detectives,Alison and What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding. Earlier this year, Costello and T Bone Burnett were nominated for an original song Oscar for Scarlet Tide, from the film Cold Mountain.

The 49-year-old singer married jazz musician Diana Krall in December.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Interesting...thanks for omnipotent John...it seems that many of the characters were inspired (or drawn upon by experiences of) real people...some notably so.
I wonder how elaborate the descriptions will be, strange idea for a book really...I can't imagine the publishers rubbing their hands with glee in terms of sales, it might seem a bit obscure to the average reader. I look forward to reading it though.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Billboard.com also posted an article about the book deal today.

Costello Nets Simon & Schuster Book Deal

Elvis Costello will write a pair of books to be published by Simon & Schuster. The first will be "a series of intimate narrative chapters taking their cue from the styles, themes and characters found in a number of Costello's lyrics," according to the publisher. The as-yet-untitled volume is due in fall 2005.

The second book, a release for which is not yet targeted, will be "a work of comic philosophy." That tome is already titled: "How to Play the Guitar, Sing Loudly and Impress Girls...or Boys."

"There are few musicians with the range of Elvis Costello," Simon & Schuster executive VP/publisher David Rosenthal says. "We're excited about his unique and eclectic approach to present his life and artistry to the public."

In other news, Costello is among the artists who will collaborate with guitarist Bill Frisell in Germany's second annual Century of Song series. The pair, who previously collaborated in a live setting at London's Meltdown Festival in 1995, will perform May 21-21 at Jahrhunderthalle in Bochum.

On disc, Costello joined Frisell on 2000's "The Sweetest Punch" (Decca), the latter's reworking of Costello's compositions with Burt Bacharach for 1998's "Painted From Memory." They also contributed the title track to the 1992 Charles Mingus tribute album "Weird Nightmare: Meditations on Mingus" (Columbia).

Frisell will also team up with Rickie Lee Jones and Vic Chesnutt (June 25-26 in Essen) and Ron Sexsmith and Jesse Harris (July 9-10 in Bochum). For more information, visit the Century of Song Web site.

Having completed a brief North American tour in support of his Deutsche Grammophon album "North," Costello has a handful of European dates on his schedule across the coming months.

As previously reported, he'll be on hand to perform May 22 in France following a screening of the musical drama "De-lovely" that is part of the 2004 Cannes Film Festival's celebration of MGM's 80th anniversary celebration. Costello and his wife, jazz artist Diana Krall, have performance cameos in the film about Cole Porter, set to open June 25 in a limited U.S. release.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maybe Elvis is listening to his old songs while researching for these books.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Any news on these?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Perfect timing... Raise two newborns and collect money from S&S. Smart move. At least there is cash flow...
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Still waiting...
Perhaps the twins chewed through the manuscript.