Does politics belong at the Oscars? Elvis answers

Pretty self-explanatory
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Bamboo,

Not wanting to impose something on other people's children is not the reason, it's just another of several reasons, the others of which I had already stated. But no matter. Suffice it to say that I appreciate having the option of buying edited versions of cds for many reasons, some personal and others professional. And no, I didn't inforn the kids that "this is the edited version..." They already trust that I won't inflict something inappropriate on them...it goes without saying in my classroom. Freedom of Speech includes Freedom from HAVING to listen to someone else's expression (your right to swing your fist ends at my nose, etc...).

I also DJ at weddings, school dances and parties. Most of those venues ask for radio friendly music. That's another good use for the edited versions. Finally, and by way of example, I would not have purchased the unedited version of Outkast's latest, even for myself. I love the music, but some of the lyrics offend me in the unedited version. If there was not edited version, I would either do without or use a wav editor on my computer to make one. I do that with a lot of cds that don't have edited versions available.

All of this may be beating a dead horse as far as this issue is concerned. I'm not really trying to convince you that edited cds are something good for you, just offering explanations of why I like the fact that they exist. Clearly we disagree, and that's fine.

Sorry to have been confusing in my earlier posts. Speaking from the lower end of the asswipe scale, I'm amazed I was able to make coherent sentences at all. Grazie per il vostro perdono, dio di amarezza.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

noiseradio wrote:All of this may be beating a dead horse as far as this issue is concerned.
Not as far as I've been concerned... thanks for your thoughts.

I had no idea that you were to find Outkast's unedited album so offensive, but that's up to you (personally, I doubt I'd want much to do with an artist for long if in that position). I have no doubt your students trust you not to impose 'inappropriate' stuff onto them, but that'd be very different from them knowing about its existense, as I see it.

Ok, other points taken... even though I had to get the Italian translated.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Noise..I was assuming that you bought the edited version for class, and the undedited version for pleasure.

What do you find offensive about the songs? Expletives or sexual references? Do you find that this mutes your appreciation...because I personally would find that the artistic value of *edited CD* would be reduced...much in the same way that classical statues were 'covered up' with plaster fig leaves, the U.N censored Picasso's 'Guernica', or to a lesser extent, the art-deco stature 'Spirit of Justice' in the Great hall of the US Justice Dept which was covered up to hide her breasts.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The difference between those works of art and Outkast's cd is that there is only one Guernica. There is only one (fill in the blank here with Greek statue covered by fig leaf). To change those is to deface the art and to hinder anyone from experiencing it as the artist intended. That's not the case here. Anyone who wants the unedited version of Outkast can get it, usually easier than the edited one. Additionally, Outkast did the edit themselves (or at least approved of it), so it's not as if the edit was imposed on them.

My tastes in music changed somewhat when my first son was about to be born. More specifically, my taste in lyrics changed. I never paid much attention to lyrical content before I was going to be a father, but when that event was fast-approaching, that changed for me. Songs with the f-word or really violent/sexually explicit lyrics suddenly stood out where they hadn't before. I was trying to imagine listening to those albums with my kids in the car or in the living room, and it made me wince. I want my kids to be able to listen to music in my house without having to worry about the content, so I started editing my cds that I felt needed it. And when available, I sometimes buy edited cds as well. It has worked out at home and at school very well. I don't know if all that made sense, but that was what prompted it for me. Just a personal decision.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Fair point Noise...do you think though that when your children are older you might stop buying the edits, or do you now find expletives distasteful full stop?

I suppose the only song you have to worry about with EC is How To Be Dumb :D
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Crow, I tried to post a response, but I got an invalid session. Can't remember all of my response, but it basically said that you asked a couple of really good questions, and that I'm not 100% sure how I'll feel about it later. As of now, it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where I'd feel comfortable listening with my son to some songs by Prince or Outkast, even though I love their work. At some point that may change. We'll see.

Also, I fully admit that I'm not consistent here. I sometimes use the language that I buy edited cds to avoid. I try not to, and I never do in front of my kids, but I'm still aware that there's a contradiction there. And I have a growing DVD collection with films like Pulp Fiction, Psycho, The Evil Dead Trilogy, and Ran on my shelves. I wouldn't let my kids watch any of those now, but I can easily imagine sitting with them as teenagers watching those films, once I felt they were old enough. I don't know what that means in light of what I said about the music. Maybe I react more strongly to lyrics than dialogue because music seems a more powerful art form to me. I really don't know. Like I said, good questions.

As for MLAR, I don't play that album much anyway. Not a persoanla favorite. If it got played more often, I'd probably use a wav editor on How to Be Dumb and play my own edited version. It hasn't come up.
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

A rope leash wrote:I really like "cocksucker"
Whenever I get 'invalid session' I've been able to click back to the typed text then copy and repost it properly. It could depend on your browser or something though.

I think I'd be put off by just lack of artistry before anything else - the failure to maintain interest and entertain.

It's doubtful whether Bob Dylan has ever used a swear word in 44 years (!) in his songs, though he swears quite a lot (at least he used to) in speech.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Off the subject thought....

When I was 16ish I used to swear a lot, 'cos it was big. clever and funny' (or so I thought) but thanfully I stopped after I went to uni, preferring to confuse people by quoting bizarre classical references or obscure songs instead :lol:

Swearing does have it's good points though, and Im sure Taz will agree when I say that it can (in moderation) have an amplifying effect if you're trying to be amusing.

It's funny how you can limit yourself subconciously, when you're with other people. If I am with friends then the occasional 4letter word is fine (of course I try and limit it when ladies present, Im single - maybe that's why! :shock: )...but when I'm with my pal that I've known for years, the expletives flow like wine at the Dionysus' table! :lol:
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

It's doubtful whether Bob Dylan has ever used a swear word in 44 years (!) in his songs, though he swears quite a lot (at least he used to) in speech

Good point. The shock value factor has grown so much. So many artist use it (not just in music) to try and one up and keep up with those around them. Its like a mudslinging political campain sometimes. Some songs have a place for off color language where it helps make the point of a song. Some movies have nude scenes that help make the situation seem real. But too often it is just to raise an eye brow and to spark attention. The sad part is that sometimes it is used to bring attention when it is not even needed and overshadows what was already a fine work.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Sorry, I did that "quote" thing backwards.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think Elvis is a good example. The fact that he only uses the f-word once in his catalog (as recall), gives more power to the sentiment than it would if he dropped it casually. How to Be Dumb is more blistering because it's such a rare event with him.
--William Shakespeare
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

He also had "If it moves then you fuck it, if it doesnt move you stab it."

Thats the only other time I can think of . . .
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

You're quite right. Thanks for the correction. I think How to Be Dumb's usage is a lot more effective. The reference from King of America always seemed cheap to me.
--William Shakespeare
alexv

Post by alexv »

Noise Radio: how's this for creative use of the f word: in "Love went Mad" I think, EC writes: "with these vulgar fractions of the treble clef I wish you luck with a capital F". Now that's a classy putdown even WalMart could accept.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

See that to me is so very clever, and I like it a lot.
--William Shakespeare
Lipstick

Something to chew on

Post by Lipstick »

WalMart is now offering an online music download service. Just 88 cents per song!

Hmmmmm

I wonder who in this group will sign up?
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I hadn't seen that. Will the versions only be edited, I wonder? That would be interesting to find out.
--William Shakespeare