johnfoyle

Boston review

Post by johnfoyle »

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNe ... icleid=714

Versatile star Costello takes fans for ride, wins applause
By Sarah Rodman
Saturday, February 28, 2004

Elvis Costello is one lucky rock star.

Many veterans are forced into being human jukeboxes by nostalgic audiences. Yet, regardless of what musical excursion Costello feels like taking - be it a side road into country, a detour into torch singing or a left turn into classical - a portion of his audience will be happy to accompany him with open ears and cheer him on.

Last night at the Wang Theatre the journey included all of the above in a two-hour-plus performance that featured the nuanced contributions of pianist Steve Nieve and the Brodsky Quartet. The 49-year-old Liverpudlian mixed and matched his styles with relative ease, showcasing both his own and BQ violist Paul Cassidy's deft arrangements of the chamber pop songs of Costello's newest album North and rearrangements of New Wave faves.

The latter, including a tremulous and trippy ``Watching the Detectives'' and a reinvigorated acoustic take of ``(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,'' were sprinkled throughout the set.

The string players in the Brodsky Quartet, both in a seven-song midset appearance and in a lengthy encore, proved a complementary bunch.

Whether it was embodying the creepy, stalking cadences of bitter ``Pills and Soap'' or evoking - with their muted melancholy - the last moment before the sun sinks over the horizon on the autumnal ballad ``Fallen,'' they added grace.

Pianist Nieve was his usual animated self, attacking the keys on rockers like ``45'' and laying back into filigreed solos that ranged from gentle cabaret caresses to bombastic blasts of percussion.

Costello himself was in fine fettle both vocally and comically. The Bachrach gem ``This House is Empty Now'' was a particularly fine melody with which to showcase his seemingly empowered pipes and he went to town with one-liners during, appropriately enough, the mischievous ``God's Comic.'' His barbs grazed everything from weapons of mass destruction to mainstream country music to gay marriage to Cher.

Most importantly Costello, recently married to jazz pianist-vocalist Diana Krall, seemed happy and engaged, giving his all to songs of romantic despair and ecstasy with the spark of someone who's known the former and is bursting with the latter.

Elvis Costello's fans are some lucky music fans.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

(edited - but stil NEEDS FIXING)

alright, this is my non-caffinated brain's attempt at the setlist.

somebody fix it! it's a reworked list from the Beacon show.

1. 45
3. Home Truth
Accidents Will Happen
4. No Wonder
6. This House Is Empty Now
Suit of Lights
Inch By Inch
7. Pills and Soap
8. You Left Me in the Dark
9. Someone Took the Words Away
10. You Turned to Me
11. Rocking Horse Road
12. Real Emotional Girl
13. Fallen
14. God's Comic
15. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding
18. Either Side of the Same Town
19. When It Sings
21. When Green Eyes Turn Blue
22. Still
23. Can You Be True?
24. My Mood Swings
25. The Birds Will Still Be Singing
26. Almost Blue
28. The Scarlet Tide
29. You'll Never Walk Alone
30. Pump It Up
31. Dark End of the Street
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I wasn't there, so I can't vouch for the accuracy. All I did was fix the numbering from Poppet's version.

1. 45
2. Home Truth
3. Accidents Will Happen
4. No Wonder
5. This House Is Empty Now
6. Suit of Lights
7. Inch by Inch
8. Pills and Soap
9. You Left Me in the Dark
10. Someone Took the Words Away
11. You Turned to Me
12. Rocking Horse Road
13. Real Emotional Girl
14. Fallen
15. God's Comic
16. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding
17. Either Side of the Same Town
18. When It Sings
19. When Green Eyes Turn Blue
20. Still
21. Can You Be True?
22. My Mood Swings
23. The Birds Will Still Be Singing
24. Almost Blue
25. The Scarlet Tide
26. You'll Never Walk Alone
27. Pump It Up
28. Dark End of the Street

Didn't the review mention "Watching the Detectives"?

What, he did "Inch by Inch" and "Suit of Lights," and I missed it?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I'm pretty positive Accidents Will Happen was right after 45, because I remember thinking "Damn, we're gonna get a good setlist... any minute now he's gonna change from his glittery shoes into his red shoes."

<3,
s.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

He also played Shot With His Own Gun somewhere in there.

That one had me all ecstatic. That and My Mood Swings, Inch By Inch, and Pills and Soap . . .

When he played Inch By Inch he also played a little bit of Fever, which was awesome.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I just reread my post, and I have to apologise for not thanking Poppet. I didn't mean to be critical, because I know from personal experience how hard it is to make a list and keep it accurate, in the dark, while still paying attention to the show and enjoying yourself in reasonable approximation of a normal person. Or worse, to try to reconstruct a 30-odd song show from memory afterward.

Thanks, Poppet!
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »