Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, MGM Music Hall at Fenway, Boston, MA, July 6, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, MGM Music Hall at Fenway, Boston, MA, July 6, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

The "We're All Going On A Summer Holiday" tour continues on July 6, 2023 at the MGM Music Hall At Fenway, Boston, MA.

According to the venue website the MGM Music Hall at Fenway is a state-of-the-art, multi-purpose performing arts center that occupies roughly 91,500 square feet on four levels and accommodates 5,009 patrons.

Elvis and the Imposters with Charlie Sexton will be joined for this show by a brass section comprising:

Michael Leonhart - Trumpet
Donny McCaslin - Saxophone
Ray Mason - Trombone

Ticket prices start at $32.00 and go up to $275 for the best "platinum" front row seats. Seats remain for sale at all prices in all sections of the music hall.

Who's going?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, MGM Music Hall at Fenway, Boston, MA, July 6, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

Man out of Time wrote:Who's going?
No one?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, MGM Music Hall at Fenway, Boston, MA, July 6, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos by Craig Semon

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From the setlist.fm comments:

Beerbeef1212:
"I’ve seen Elvis many times, this was by far the absolute most boring concert I’ve ever seen. Many many people walked out of that show, complaining and disappointed that he barely played any of his good songs. It was like a Lounge singer tonight, all very slow and intimate. I’m sure it was a special show for Elvis himself, and may be, a couple of fans and the band since they played these very slow songs that almost nobody knew, but the average diehard Elvis Costello fan walked out last night in a very bad mood. How can you not even play the beat, less than zero, this year’s girl, red shoes, write the book, Clubland, beyond belief, new Amsterdam, hope youre happy now, lip service, ……….should I keep going? Very selfish night for Elvis, and I’m sure he had fun, but most of his fans walked out of there last night, shaking their heads and wishing they never went."

ozzie12345boy:
"Those who feel this was a boring show are poseur fans. I have seen Costello nearly fifty times since 1978 and this show was one of the most interesting and well crafted sets I have seen by him. Those that were leaving simply were not true "fans". They were there for Alison, Watching the Detectives, and the "hits". The only thing Elvis could have done to improve the set would have been to not perform Alison, Watching the Detectives, Radio Radio, Chelsea. Elvis is a true artist who keeps growing as an artist, who refuses to stagnate, and appreciates those who take the ride with him. This concert became a true victory when the "average diehard fan"" left the venue. These were/are the people who will hoot & holler during the "hits" and chat incessantly during songs these "diehard" fans do not know and ruin the listening experience for all those who are at the concert to appreciate and learn from one of the masters."
whiteknux

Post by whiteknux »

Fascinating to see such differing reactions. I was about 12 or 13 rows back in the center and I didn't see anyone leaving until it was about 11:00 and some of the older members of the audience started to trickle out but that seemed more due to the relative lateness of the hour than grumpiness about a lack of hits (and I would say 30% of the show could be described as hits, or at least songs familiar to the average EC "fan").

This was the 3rd time I've seen Elvis this year (one being a Gramercy show and the other being a smaller venue in New Hampshire) and I thought he was great, the band was great, the horn section was great (the brass arrangement for WTD actually makes the song sound like a cop movie from the late 60's which was a nice touch). Other than the "Someone Took the Words Away" through "Mr. and Mrs. Hush" section I'm surprised anyone would say the pacing was slow. His voice was hoarse at times, but the issues with pitch that derailed a couple of shows I saw before this year really weren't apparent. If anything, his voice seemed to get stronger as the show went on (he really nailed the end of "Poisoned Rose").

I don't know if Elvis saw the news item in the NYPost about how many cheap tickets were available in the secondary market for NY and Boston (I saw a bunch more empty seats than I'm used to but a lot of them filled after Nick finished his opening set) but I have to say I felt like he came out and played (and played) like he had something to prove, which was pretty great to witness. As far as the ticket sales maybe not being as strong as they normally have been, I think the fact that he was in Boston last August (and that show had some notable hiccups), and less than an hour away for three successive nights just 4 months ago may have been a factor.

I didn't hear anyone complaining- I actually heard one guy telling his companion he liked some of the songs he didn't know better than the ones he did!

I guess if he dropped "Cinco Minutos Con Vos" in the encore section and replaced it with the millionth version of EIWTB or "Veronica" it would probably be a more crowd-pleasing experience for the casual type, but I think he's more than earned the right to do what he wants.

I saw some 20-somethings there which was also encouraging.

Also, the venue is totally corporate and the drink prices are ludicrous but it sounded great(I was right in front of the soundman so maybe that helped) and it looks like the sightlines in the upper sections are pretty good as well. I'd be interested in hearing reactions from anyone on here who attended.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

whiteknux wrote:Fascinating to see such differing reactions. I was about 12 or 13 rows back in the center and I didn't see anyone leaving until it was about 11:00 and some of the older members of the audience started to trickle out but that seemed more due to the relative lateness of the hour than grumpiness about a lack of hits (and I would say 30% of the show could be described as hits, or at least songs familiar to the average EC "fan").

This was the 3rd time I've seen Elvis this year (one being a Gramercy show and the other being a smaller venue in New Hampshire) and I thought he was great, the band was great, the horn section was great (the brass arrangement for WTD actually makes the song sound like a cop movie from the late 60's which was a nice touch). Other than the "Someone Took the Words Away" through "Mr. and Mrs. Hush" section I'm surprised anyone would say the pacing was slow. His voice was hoarse at times, but the issues with pitch that derailed a couple of shows I saw before this year really weren't apparent. If anything, his voice seemed to get stronger as the show went on (he really nailed the end of "Poisoned Rose").

I don't know if Elvis saw the news item in the NYPost about how many cheap tickets were available in the secondary market for NY and Boston (I saw a bunch more empty seats than I'm used to but a lot of them filled after Nick finished his opening set) but I have to say I felt like he came out and played (and played) like he had something to prove, which was pretty great to witness. As far as the ticket sales maybe not being as strong as they normally have been, I think the fact that he was in Boston last August (and that show had some notable hiccups), and less than an hour away for three successive nights just 4 months ago may have been a factor.

I didn't hear anyone complaining- I actually heard one guy telling his companion he liked some of the songs he didn't know better than the ones he did!

I guess if he dropped "Cinco Minutos Con Vos" in the encore section and replaced it with the millionth version of EIWTB or "Veronica" it would probably be a more crowd-pleasing experience for the casual type, but I think he's more than earned the right to do what he wants.

I saw some 20-somethings there which was also encouraging.

Also, the venue is totally corporate and the drink prices are ludicrous but it sounded great(I was right in front of the soundman so maybe that helped) and it looks like the sightlines in the upper sections are pretty good as well. I'd be interested in hearing reactions from anyone on here who attended.
Thanks for a truly unbiased and balanced review, glad you enjoyed it !