sweetest punch

Elvis & Steve and Carmen Consoli, Milan (Italy), August 31, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.rockol.it/news-736579/carme ... lano?amp=1

Google translation:
Carmen Consoli and Elvis Costello will do three live dates together
The appointments scheduled for August in Rome, Palermo and Milan

By Editorial Staff
“She has more original ideas in a handful of songs than some celebrated British or American bands in a whole concert.”
So said Elvis Costello in 2006 referring to Carmen Consoli after seeing her perform on stage in New York in a sold out concert where the British singer-songwriter was in the audience.

Costello, who had already had the opportunity to appreciate the Sicilian singer-songwriter a few years earlier, arrived surprisingly in the room after reading the announcement of her concert in "Time out" and at the end of the performance he went to congratulate her and her band , releasing that statement shortly thereafter.

This summer Elvis Costello's endorsement takes the form of a series of three dates that will see the two artists together on stage, alternating and/or combining their voices and sounds.

Three unique dates that will take place with this calendar:

28 August 2023 - Rome at the Auditorium Parco della Musica Ennio Morricone (Cavea)
August 29, 2023 - Palermo at the Teatro di Verdura
31 August 2023 - Milan at the Castello Sforzesco.

In concert Carmen & Elvis will travel between the stages of their careers alternating intimate moments with more rock ones, classic pieces known to the general public and particular reinterpretations of their repertoires.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & Steve and Carmen Consoli, Milan (Italy), August 31, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Will anyone be at this show in Milan tomorrow night?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Preview by Francesco Garozzo published on August 31, 2023 in La Stampa (Milano edition).

"Elvis Costello e Carmen Consoli, quando la forza sta nella diversità

Dopo le date di Palermo e Roma, stasera il musicista britannico e la cantautrice siciliana in concerto al Castello Sforzesco

Si inseguivano da anni, Elvis Costello e Carmen Consoli. Almeno dalla fine degli anni Novanta, periodo in cui il musicista inglese fu folgorato dal talento della cantautrice catanese durante le registrazioni di una puntata del programma televisivo “Roxy Bar”. Al primo incontro sono seguiti anni di reciproci attestati di stima, accompagnati dalla crescente voglia di ideare un progetto comune. Progetto che adesso è finalmente diventato realtà: stasera a Milano, dopo le date di Palermo e Roma, arriva la terza tappa del mini tour italiano che ha portato i due artisti a incrociare repertori ed ispirazioni dando vita a uno spettacolo imperdibile.

Stasera al Castello Sforzesco si avrà la dimostrazione di quanto la diversità musicale tra Costello e Consoli sia in gran parte solo apparente: stesse origini rock, stessa capacità di muoversi tra generi diversi e stessa curiosità per mondi musicali lontani che ha portato entrambi a contaminazioni continue e sorprendenti. Il concerto milanese di oggi ricalcherà l'impianto delle due precedenti date: apertura affidata a Carmen Consoli, impegnata in un set acustico che ripercorrerà il meglio del repertorio, dagli esordi di “Amore di plastica” e “Confusa e felice”, passando per “Pioggia d'aprile”, “Parole di burro” e fino alle canzoni dell'ultimo “Volevo fare la rockstar”; secondo set dedicato a Costello, accompagnato dal solo pianoforte di Steve Nieve, in un viaggio attraverso la sua ricca produzione: dagli anni di “Almost Blue” ed ”Alison” passando per la celebre “She”.

A concludere, il terzo momento, naturalmente il più atteso, quello della condivisione del palco e dello scambio di cover. Momento che potrà regalare perle inaspettate, almeno a giudicare da quanto accaduto nel concerto palermitano, in cui i due musicisti hanno voluto stupire con una preziosa interpretazione di “Centro di gravità permanente” di Franco Battiato.

Castello Sforzesco, piazza Castello, Cortile delle Armi, stasera alle 21, 39/80 euro"

Or in "English" via GoogleTranslate:

"Elvis Costello and Carmen Consoli, when strength lies in diversity

After the dates in Palermo and Rome, tonight the British musician and the Sicilian singer-songwriter are in concert at the Castello Sforzesco.

Elvis Costello and Carmen Consoli had been chasing each other for years. At least since the end of the nineties, a period in which the English musician was struck by the talent of the singer-songwriter from Catania during the recordings of an episode of the television program "Roxy Bar". The first meeting was followed by years of mutual declarations of esteem, accompanied by the growing desire to create a common project. A project that has now finally become reality: tonight in Milan, after the dates in Palermo and Rome, comes the third stage of the Italian mini tour which has led the two artists to combine repertoires and inspirations, giving life to an unmissable show.

Tonight at the Castello Sforzesco there will be a demonstration of how much the musical diversity between Costello and Consoli is largely only apparent: the same rock origins, the same ability to move between different genres and the same curiosity for distant musical worlds which has led both to continuous and surprising. Today's Milanese concert will follow the structure of the two previous dates: opening entrusted to Carmen Consoli, engaged in an acoustic set that will retrace the best of the repertoire, from the beginnings of "Amore di plastic" and "Confusa e Felice", passing through " Pioggia d'April”, “Parole di burro” and up to the songs of the last “I wanted to be a rock star”; second set dedicated to Costello, accompanied by Steve Nieve's solo piano, on a journey through her rich production: from the years of "Almost Blue" and "Alison" through the famous "She".

To conclude, the third moment, naturally the most awaited, that of sharing the stage and exchanging covers. A moment that could provide unexpected pearls, at least judging by what happened in the Palermo concert, in which the two musicians wanted to amaze with a precious interpretation of Franco Battiato's "Permanent Center of Gravity".

Castello Sforzesco, Piazza Castello, Cortile delle Armi, tonight at 9pm, 39/80 euros"

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.facebook.com/ElvisCostello/

Elvis writes on Facebook:

Just a note of thanks to everyone at Castello Sforzesco, Milano - our third and final show in Italy, following a return to Rome and my first ever appearance in Palermo - during which Steve Nieve and I shared the stage with Carmen Consoli and her musicians, performing in turn and then in the finale; contrasting our songs, our voices and even our languages.
Those in attendance will note that, among other things, Carmen sang the chorus of my composition, "All This Useless Beauty", which I first attempted to translate into Italian, many years ago, in acknowledgment of the country in which I began writing the song.
To return this favour, I adapted the two refrains of, "Le Cose Di Sempre" into English, not a literal translation but retaining some of the images and emotion of Carmen's consoling original text, understanding it to be addressed to a child.
For those who are curious to know, these are the two stanzas that I sang:
If you close your eyes, my love, nothing can happen to you
Come and lie here in my arms and talk to me
Of the soft beating of wings and fantastic things
That you fear you may hear scuttling in these
shadows
But if I call out your name again then you may answer for me
In a place were moonlight fell and stories tell:
“Pull oyster from a shell and a pretty pearl to string
That mosquito and its sting
Are found in everything"
As Steve and I leave for our next engagement in Granada, Spain, we send our many thanks to all concerned in making this brief but delightful adventure possible.
We hope to see you all again before so very long. Elvis Costello
Man out of Time

Positive review by Alfredo Marziano published in Rolling Stone Italy on 1 September 2023.

"B&B (BATTIATO & BACHARACH)
Carmen Consoli ed Elvis Costello, la sorellina giudiziosa e il fratellone scapestrato

Lui vaga per il palco su di giri, stonato, sconsiderato. Lei è impeccabile, assennata, bravissima musicista. Cronaca dello strano concerto di ieri sera a Milano, con Elvis che biascica un malinconico Modugno

Il momento più atteso (e anche temuto, ammettiamolo) arriva dopo due ore di musica. Elvis Costello e Carmen Consoli, con i rispettivi musicisti – il pianista Steve Nieve, il chitarrista Massimo Roccaforte, il violinista Adriano Murania – condividono il palco per mezz’ora. A Milano, ieri sera, come a Roma e a Palermo nei giorni scorsi. A scambiarsi canzoni, strofe, lingue e melodie, come sottolinea Elvis, ammiratore di lunga data della cantautrice siciliana ed entusiasta ideatore di questo progetto che i due avrebbero voluto concretizzare già nel 2012, costretti allora a rinunciarvi per la gravidanza di lei.

Da come si guardano sul palco, dalle parole di stima e di affetto che pronunciano si capisce che nutrono una profonda ammirazione reciproca, eppure l’effetto è davvero bizzarro e straniante. Carmen, volenterosa e concentrata, cerca di addomesticare quello strano Frankenstein musicale che si aggira nel cortile del Castello Sforzesco sotto una bella luna quasi piena. Elvis è erratico e imprevedibile, a tratti sconsiderato, e ti fa trattenere il fiato come un equilibrista che inciampa continuamente sul filo. Lei, col suo lungo abito verde acqua d’altri tempi, fa la figura della sorellina giudiziosa, disciplinata e in soggezione; lui, con la sua giacca, gli occhiali e il borsalino in testa che si toglie spesso in omaggio a un pubblico caloroso e ben predisposto, quella del fratello maggiore scapestrato che tante ne ha fatte e ne ha viste e a cui tutto si perdona.

Le due ore precedenti se le erano spartite equamente, ognuno per la sua strada su binari paralleli. Consoli inizialmente da sola con le sue chitarre acustiche, tra il presente di Volevo fare la rockstar e il passato di Amore di plastica, In bianco e nero, Parole di burro e Fiori d’arancio, brava a variare toni e ritmi davanti a una platea affettuosa in cui non mancano i concittadini pronti a scaldarsi quando, nei testi e nelle presentazioni, nomina Catania e la Sicilia. La chitarra elettrica e il mandolino di Roccaforte, al suo fianco dagli esordi a metà anni ’90, e il violino di Murania aggiungono colori delicati ed eleganti a Una domenica al mare e a L’ultimo bacio prima che in Geisha il sussurro si trasformi in grida e Consoli tiri fuori dalle viscere la sua anima rock in uno dei momenti migliori della serata. Buttana di to ma’ rende quasi psichedelico il folk della conterranea Rosa Balistreri, omaggiata anche con Canta e cunta, e in siciliano la cantautrice chiude anche il suo set con ‘A finestra dopo avere denunciato ad alta voce gli abusi sessuali sui minori con il quadretto aspro e beffardo di Mio zio.

Quando, introdotti da un vecchio standard americano e un drappo rosso a fare da sfondo, sul palco arrivano Costello e Nieve lo stacco è netto, e ci si comincia a chiedere come i due volti dello show possano fondersi in maniera coerente. Elvis, su di giri, incita subito la folla all’applauso, al canto corale e alla partecipazione, imbraccia una chitarra elettrica azzurra e siede davanti a un microfono vintage mentre parte la base ritmica preregistrata di When I Was Cruel (con la voce campionata di Mina nell’originale, ci tiene a ricordare); Nieve, alla sua destra, comincia a dispensare magie da gran prestigiatore del pianoforte prima di alzarsi per suonare una clavietta. Ricordando il concerto di Palermo in cui, racconta, si è fatto prendere la mano perdendosi nel tempo e nello spazio, Costello promette un set più regolare anche se solo i fan di lunga data ricorderanno Talking in the Dark, un vecchio singolo promozionale di fine anni ’70 che ogni tanto riaffiora nelle sue scalette.

Dello stesso periodo è Accidents Will Happen, che diventa quasi una candida confessione: l’incidente è davvero dietro l’angolo, la progressiva waitsizzazione o dylanizzazione di Costello è compiuta, rauco e spesso out of tune Elvis fa a pezzi le sue canzoni più famose, maciullando Alison e inerpicandosi su un pentagramma surrealista che sembra disegnato da Picasso. Per fortuna può appoggiarsi alle spalle robuste di Nieve, capace di pestare sui tasti come Jerry Lee Lewis e subito dopo di disegnare classicheggianti aperture melodiche di straordinaria bellezza. Quando il songwriter inglese presenta un pezzo nuovo e inedito, il rock and roll Like Licorice on Your Tongue, il paradosso appare ancora più evidente: le sue vecchie canzoni sembrano cose mai ascoltate prima, quelle nuove ricordano i classici con cui abbiamo imparato ad amarlo.

È la sera delle sorprese, lo sapevamo: ma chi si sarebbe aspettato di ascoltare Dio, come ti amo, la canzone con cui Domenico Modugno e Gigliola Cinquetti vinsero il festival di Sanremo del 1966, in medley con il suo standard da jazz club, Almost Blue? L’interpretazione è atonale, e più che mai Elvis – forse con un pizzico di divertita perversione – sembra barcollare sull’orlo di un baratro. Si riprende subito con Watching the Detectives, che alle destrutturazioni e alle sue spericolate improvvisazioni vocali si presta da sempre, il basso campionato che entra nello sterno, i loop vocali e gli echi, la chitarra effettata come quella di Link Wray, il dub e le atmosfere noir; mentre quando affronta I Still Have That Other Girl ricordando la sua collaborazione con Burt Bacharach dal fedora estrae insospettabilmente la migliore performance vocale della serata, consapevole della lezione del maestro che, ricorda, gli insegnò a rendere meno sghembe e più lineari le sue canzoni d’amore. Poi arriva She di Charles Aznavour e la prospettiva si ribalta un’altra volta: Elvis torna a essere un crooner fuori orario, fuori pista e fuori controllo dopo una notte troppo alcolica. Affascinante o sconcertante, a seconda dei punti di vista.

Si ferma quando sono le 11 passate, per non togliere spazio all’ultimo set congiunto con Carmen e i suoi musicisti. Prende forma il promesso scambio di canzoni e di linguaggi, ma le parti aggiuntive e le rielaborazioni suonano spesso come innesti su corpi estranei e la performance ha il sapore di una mezza improvvisazione in difetto di prove e di rodaggio: come i cantanti beat inglesi dei ’60, Costello lotta goffamente con la metrica della lingua italiana in Le cose di sempre, Consoli se la cava decisamente meglio in All This Useless Beauty dopo avere ribadito che la bellezza che ci circonda inutile non è. Ricorda che entrambi, nella loro vita, hanno avuto una B importante: per lei è quella di Franco Battiato, omaggiato con una confusa e discutibile versione di Centro di gravità permanente a cui Costello, in italiano, aggiunge una divertente osservazione autoironica (“non sopporto i romantici irlandesi”) prima di tornare a indossare panni più comodi con lo standard Unchained Melody appiccicato in coda. Per lui, ovviamente, Bacharach, di cui la coppia riprende Please Stay, successo pop soul primi anni ’60 dei Drifters su testo di Bob Hilliard («chi di voi non conosce Seven Little Girls (Sitting In The Back Seat)?» scherza Elvis davanti a un pubblico preso alla sprovvista).

I colori mediterranei di Il pendio dell’abbandono e una liberatoria (What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding cui Consoli aggiunge in italiano una strofa con messaggio pacifista chiudono la serata lasciandoti interdetto a rimuginare sul retrogusto di questo stravagante mix, su ciò che è stato e su ciò che (forse) avrebbe potuto essere. I fan dei due artisti, che tributano alla coppia un’ovazione convinta e prolungata, sembrano pensarla diversamente e non si fanno troppi problemi. Si sono divertiti e per una volta ritrovati insieme: in questa prospettiva, l’esperimento sembra essere riuscito."

Or in "English" via GoogleTranslate:

"B&B (BATTIATO & BACHARACH)
Carmen Consoli and Elvis Costello, the judicious little sister and the reckless big brother

He wanders around the stage revved up, out of tune, reckless. She is impeccable, sensible, a very good musician. Chronicle of the strange concert last night in Milan, with Elvis mumbling a melancholy Modugno

The most awaited (and also feared, let's face it) moment comes after two hours of music. Elvis Costello and Carmen Consoli, with their respective musicians - the pianist Steve Nieve, the guitarist Massimo Roccaforte, the violinist Adriano Murania - share the stage for half an hour. In Milan, last night, as in Rome and Palermo in recent days. Exchanging songs, verses, languages and melodies, as underlined by Elvis, a long-time admirer of the Sicilian singer-songwriter and enthusiastic creator of this project that the two had wanted to realize already in 2012, forced to give it up due to her pregnancy.

From the way they look at each other on stage, from the words of esteem and affection they utter, it is clear that they have a profound mutual admiration, yet the effect is truly bizarre and alienating. Carmen, willing and concentrated, tries to tame that strange musical Frankenstein who wanders in the courtyard of the Sforzesco Castle under a beautiful, almost full moon. Elvis is erratic and unpredictable, at times reckless, and makes you hold your breath like a tightrope walker who continually trips on a tightrope. She, with her long aqua green dress from times gone by, looks like a judicious, disciplined and awe-inspiring little sister; he, with his jacket, glasses and fedora on his head which he often takes off in homage to a warm and well-predisposed audience, that of the reckless older brother who has done and seen so much and to whom everything is forgiven.

They had divided the previous two hours equally, each going her way on parallel tracks. Consoli initially alone with her acoustic guitars, between the present of I wanted to be a rock star and the past of Plastic Love, In Black and White, Words of Butter and Orange Blossoms, good at varying tones and rhythms in front of an audience affectionate in which there is no shortage of fellow citizens ready to warm up when, in texts and presentations, he mentions Catania and Sicily. Roccaforte's electric guitar and mandolin, at his side since his debut in the mid-1990s, and Murania's violin add delicate and elegant colors to Una Domenica al mare and L'ultimo baci prima che in Geisha the whisper turns into shouts and Consoli brought out his rock soul from his bowels in one of the best moments of the evening. Buttana di to ma' makes the folk of fellow countrywoman Rosa Balistreri almost psychedelic, also honored with Canta e cunta, and in Sicilian the singer-songwriter also closes her set with 'A window after having loudly denounced the sexual abuse of minors with the little picture harsh and mocking of My uncle.

When, introduced by an old American standard and a red cloth as a backdrop, Costello and Nieve arrive on stage, the separation is clear, and one begins to wonder how the two faces of the show can merge coherently. Elvis, revved up, immediately incites the crowd to applause, choral singing and participation, takes up a blue electric guitar and sits in front of a vintage microphone while the pre-recorded rhythmic base of When I Was Cruel starts playing (with the sampled voice of Mina in the original, he is keen to remember); Nieve, to her right, begins to dispense magic like a great piano magician before getting up to play a claviette. Recalling the Palermo concert where, he says, he got carried away by getting lost in time and space, Costello promises a more regular set even if only long-time fans will remember Talking in the Dark, an old promotional single from the end of the 1990s '70s which occasionally resurfaces in his setlists.

From the same period is Accidents Will Happen, which almost becomes a candid confession: the accident is really just around the corner, the progressive waitsization or Dylanization of Costello is complete, hoarse and often out of tune Elvis tears his most famous songs to pieces , mangling Alison and climbing onto a surrealist pentagram that seems drawn by Picasso. Luckily he can lean on the sturdy shoulders of Nieve, capable of hitting the keys like Jerry Lee Lewis and immediately afterwards designing classical melodic openings of extraordinary beauty. When the English songwriter presents a new and unreleased piece, the rock and roll Like Licorice on Your Tongue, the paradox appears even more evident: his old songs seem like things never heard before, the new ones recall the classics with which we learned to love him.

It's the evening of surprises, we knew it: but who would have expected to hear Dio, come ti amo, the song with which Domenico Modugno and Gigliola Cinquetti won the 1966 Sanremo festival, in medley with his jazz club standard, Almost Blue? The interpretation is atonal, and more than ever Elvis – perhaps with a hint of amused perversion – seems to teeter on the edge of an abyss. He picks up immediately with Watching the Detectives, which has always lent itself to deconstructions and his reckless vocal improvisations, the sampled bass that enters the sternum, the vocal loops and the echoes, the effected guitar like that of Link Wray, the dub and the noir atmospheres; while when he tackles I Still Have That Other Girl recalling his collaboration with Burt Bacharach from the fedora he unexpectedly extracts the best vocal performance of the evening, aware of the lesson of the maestro who, he remembers, taught him to make his songs less crooked and more linear Love. Then comes She by Charles Aznavour and the perspective is reversed once again: Elvis returns to being an off-hours, off-track and out-of-control crooner after a night of too much alcohol. Fascinating or disconcerting, depending on your point of view.

He stops when it's after 11, so as not to take away space for the last joint set with Carmen and her musicians. The promised exchange of songs and languages takes shape, but the additional parts and reworkings often sound like grafts onto foreign bodies and the performance has the flavor of a half-improvisation lacking rehearsals and running-in: like the English beat singers of the ' 60, Costello struggles awkwardly with the metric of the Italian language in Le cose di semper, Consoli fares much better in All This Useless Beauty after reiterating that the beauty that surrounds us is not useless. Remember that both of them, in their lives, have had an important B: for her it is that of Franco Battiato, honored with a confused and questionable version of Permanent Center of Gravity to which Costello, in Italian, adds a funny self-deprecating observation ("I can't stand the Irish romantics”) before returning to wearing more comfortable clothes with the standard Unchained Melody stuck in the queue. For him, obviously, Bacharach, of which the couple takes up Please Stay, the early '60s pop-soul hit by the Drifters with lyrics by Bob Hilliard ("who among you doesn't know Seven Little Girls (Sitting In The Back Seat)?" jokes Elvis in front of a taken aback audience).

The Mediterranean colors of Il slope dell'abandonmento and a disclaimer (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding to which Consoli adds a verse in Italian with a pacifist message close the evening leaving you forbidden to ruminate on the aftertaste of this extravagant mix, on what was and what (perhaps) could have been. The fans of the two artists, who gave the couple a convinced and prolonged ovation, seem to think differently and don't have too many problems. They had fun and for once found themselves together: from this perspective, the experiment seems to have been successful."

MOOT