Elvis & Steve, Helsinki (Finland), September 9, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & Steve, Helsinki (Finland), September 9, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & Steve, Helsinki (Finland), September 9, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview by Anssi Eriksson published in Soundi on March 3, 2023.

"Elvis Costello saapuu konsertoimaan Suomeen – brittilegenda esiintyy Steve Nieven kanssa Helsingissä

Rockin uuden aallon legendoihin lukeutuva laulaja-lauluntekijä Elvis Costello saapuu syksyllä Suomeen. Costello konsertoi Helsingin Kulttuuritalolla kosketinsoittaja Steve Nieven kanssa lauantaina 9. syyskuuta 2023. Ovet aukeavat kello 19.00. Tapahtuma on K-18.

Monipuolisuudestaan tunnettu Costello julkaisi viime vuonna The Boy Named If -nimisen studioalbumin.

Liput ovat myynnissä Lippu.fissä. Hinnat alkavat palvelumaksuineen 64 / 77 / 87 € + tilausmaksu alk. 1,50 € / tilaus."

or in English, via Google Translate:

"Elvis Costello is coming to Finland for a concert - the British legend will perform with Steve Nieve in Helsinki

Singer-songwriter Elvis Costello, one of the legends of the new wave of rock, will arrive in Finland in the fall. Costello will give a concert at Helsinki's Kulttuuritalo with keyboardist Steve Nieve on Saturday, September 9, 2023. Doors open at 7:00 p.m. The event is K-18.

Known for his versatility, Costello released a studio album called The Boy Named If last year .

Tickets are on sale at Lippu.fi. Prices start at €64 / €77 / €87 including service fees + order fee from €1.50/order."

MOOT
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Win tickets to see Elvis Costello's concert at Helsinki's Kulttuuritalo!

https://www.soundi.fi/kilpailut/skabaa- ... uritaloon/

Skabaa pukkaa: vastaa kysymykseen ja nappaa liput Elvis Costellon keikalle Helsingin Kulttuuritaloon!

Helsingin Kulttuuritalolla nähdään 9. syyskuuta todellinen populaarimusiikin jättiläinen, kun itse Elvis Costello astelee lavalle. Costello konsertoi Kultsalla luottomiehensä Steve Nieven kera, ja tarjolla on monenmoisia helmibiisejä aina (What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love, and Understandingista alkaen. Hyvä!

Soundissa käynnistyy nyt arvonta, josta kaksi onnekasta voi napata itselleen ja lähimmäiselleen liput keikalle. Vastaa vain alla olevaan kysymykseen ja jätä yhteystietosi, niin olet mukana arvonnassa. Arvonta suoritetaan 21. elokuuta, ja voittajiin ollaan yhteydessä henkilökohtaisesti. Soundi on konsertin virallinen yhteistyökumppani.

"*" näyttää pakolliset kentät

Mikä on Elvis Costellon viimeisimmän studioalbumin nimi?*
□ The Boy Named If
□ The Boy Named Sue
□ The Boy With No Name

Good luck!

MOOT
Mr. Hush

Post by Mr. Hush »

By a strange coincidence I am in Finland and have a ticket for a concert tonight at the Sibelius Hall in Lahti, just up the road from Helsinki. The 1978 version of me would be shocked at the decision I'm about to make. Still love Elvis but maybe too many concerts for the voice?
Mr. Hush

Post by Mr. Hush »

By a strange coincidence I am in Finland and have a ticket for a concert tonight at the Sibelius Hall in Lahti, just up the road from Helsinki. The 1978 version of me would be shocked at the decision I'm about to make. Still love Elvis but maybe too many concerts for the voice?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Mr. Hush wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:27 am By a strange coincidence I am in Finland and have a ticket for a concert tonight at the Sibelius Hall in Lahti, just up the road from Helsinki. The 1978 version of me would be shocked at the decision I'm about to make. Still love Elvis but maybe too many concerts for the voice?
Don't be hasty !!
It won't be the Elvis of 1978 or 1994 but his voice is better than the equivalent version of Bob Dylan at this age and the last few concerts (including the most recent Dublin show) have shown an improvement in Elvis' voice compared to a few years back and a delightful range of songs from his whole career.
No one ever left this world thinking I wish I'd seen less concerts :wink:
Mr. Hush

Post by Mr. Hush »

Very true! But too late. Half time in Lahti and even if I legged it now and got the train it would just be the last few strains of Alison or PLU. Some good recent set lists though.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Posted by SJ on Facebook (and spotted by John Foyle):

Here's the set list from tonight's gig at Kulturiitalo, Helsinki:

When I Was Cruel No2
Shot with His Own Gun
Accidents Will Happen (complete with allusion to one of said accidents being in Helsinki in the late 70s)
Talking in the Dark
This Year's Girl
Every Day I Write the Book
Like Licorice (should have been 'like salmiakki', but hey, you can't have everything)
Hetty O'Hara Confidential (with mention of recording it at Suomenlinna, which an audience member helpfully pronounced for him when he mentioned 'that island over there just off the harbour'😉
The Boy Named If
Veronica
Hey ClockfaceDio come ti amo
Almost Blue
Prelude: Detectives
The Comedians
I Do (Zula's Song) (with a bit of a Finnish tango intro]
I Still Have That Other Girl
She
Peace Love and Understanding
Shipbuilding
Cinco Minutos Con Vos
We Are All Cowards Now

2000-2205

No support act, no merch, no encore -- but a damn good show; EC playing around with his voice (or it playing around with him?) for the first half, but then full tilt the second half; Steve Nieve excelling at Rachmaninoff pace and volume, with a lot of brilliant give and take between the two of them. The audience was warm and appreciative, particularly since he began by mentioning how long it had been since his open air performance here in 1978, 'before *anyone* was born' (one voice in the crowd murmured, 'I was', many others thought it but didn't say it out loud). A good deal of (in time!) clapping and singing, which EC encouraged. An excellent evening, in an understated yet warm Finnish way.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »