Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton and Juanes, Pre-Grammy Gala, Los Angeles, CA, February 4, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton and Juanes, Pre-Grammy Gala, Los Angeles, CA, February 4, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and the Imposters (certainly Steve and Pete) played the Pre-Grammy Gala at the Beverley Hilton Hotel, in Los Angeles CA, last night. They were joined onstage by Juanes (pictured below) and Charlie Sexton.

The event is hosted by music business boss, Clive Davis, and attracts musicians, music business executives, Hollywood Stars, politicians and others.
2023-02-04 Los Angeles - Steve, Juanes, Elvis, Pete
2023-02-04 Los Angeles - Steve, Juanes, Elvis, Pete
2023-02-05 Los Angeles photo 01.jpg (193.95 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
Most of the news reporting of this event is in US publications that are not accessible from Europe, so if anyone can add photos or reports/reviews, including other performers that would be most welcome. The only other performer I can see named is Adam Lambert. Others present at the event include Alice Cooper, Olivia Rodrigo and Niles Rodgers. Steve was particularly happy to meet Alice/Vincent - of whom he said "My dream and inspiration to play rock came from this man".

MOOT
krm

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton and Juanes, Pre-Grammy Gala, Los Angeles, CA, February 4, 2023

Post by krm »

Man out of Time wrote: Steve was particularly happy to meet Alice/Vincent - of whom he said "My dream and inspiration to play rock came from this man".

MOOT
From Melody Maker May 13th 1978:
"Steve Naive (keyboards and terminal bouts of weirdness) was recruited from the Royal College of Music — ask him to play you some of the tapes of his compositions sometime; they're a certified guffaw — auditioned for the gig and got it by admitting that the only rock music he'd ever heard had been performed by Alice Cooper and T. Rex, and by then falling asleep while Elvis and Jake Riviera slumped through a squadron of Dave Greenslade keyboard impersonators."
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton and Juanes, Pre-Grammy Gala, Los Angeles, CA, February 4, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

https://lufkindailynews.com/anpa/us/202 ... d10a7.html

2023 Pre-Grammy Gala - Show

Elvis Costello performs at the Pre-Grammy Gala on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2023, at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Whitney Houston's presence felt at Clive Davis gala with emotional tributes by Kevin Costner, Jennifer Hudson: 'Thank you for being her bodyguard, Clive'
By Lyndsey Parker

Eleven years ago, Whitney Houston died in a suite at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where downstairs, the annual pre-Grammy gaga hosted by her mentor, Clive Davis, was set to take place in just a few hours. The gala that tragic evening became a wake of sorts, with Davis leading a moment of silence; the following night, at the Grammy Awards, Jennifer Hudson memorably paid musical tribute to the late diva. This year, as Davis’s gala returned to the Beverly Hilton on Feb. 4 after a three-year pandemic hiatus, Houston’s presence was intensely felt — not just as Hudson delivered another stunning performance, but as Houston’s The Bodyguard co-star, Kevin Costner, delivered the evening's emotional opening remarks and seemingly tried to absolve Davis of the guilt still lingering all these years later.

Costner — who also co-produced The Bodyguard, Houston’s acting debut, 30 years ago — began by joking about not feeling qualified to introduce Davis, before reflecting on the unlikely, enduring friendship they formed while working on the film. “How do any three people find each other in this world? I don't know. In this business, the truth is it really doesn't matter who we are or where we begin; it's only about the intersection, how we come together, and what we make of that fateful union,” Costner mused.

“Whitney had become the most celebrated singer of her generation, but she was also an untrained actress. And it was unclear if this was something she should aspire to, or even something that was good for her career,” Costner recalled. “All three of us would take a huge leap. And maybe the biggest, maybe the hardest, was for Clive. I needed to believe that I could make the movie that I was imagining. Whitney saw it as a chance to reinvent herself. But for Clive, it was a career move that had a recipe for disaster written all over it. I needed Clive. I needed his trust and his blessing, and I needed the one thing that he wasn't used to giving up: control. We were set up to be mortal enemies, if you think about it. This could only go one way — and if it didn't go right, I don't think I would've been invited tonight! But in this instance, Clive was right. If Whitney didn't work, the movie doesn't either. And that clarity, that single-mindedness, is what I love about Clive.”

Costner went on to marvel about the “voice that came out of that little body that night in the studio” when Houston recorded her signature song from The Bodyguard, a cover of Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” — the biggest-selling single of all time by a female artist, and what Costner called the “performance of a lifetime.” But then Costner became noticeably choked up as he addressed his friend Davis directly: “Now, I want to say something that I've never said to you before. Maybe this isn't the room for it, but I don't want to miss the moment. And it's from the heart. Neither one of us in the end could protect your beloved Whitney. But your fingerprints on her life are clean, my friend. You were a miracle in her life. Thank you for being her bodyguard, Clive, and for every person in this room that you stood behind and stood for. Everyone in this business has mom, but not everyone gets a Clive. So, you need to come up here. This is your stage.”

When Davis approached the podium, the usually garrulous record executive seemed stunned. “After hearing those words from Kevin, I’m fully overcome, really,” he said softly. “That was just a wow for me, Kevin. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this introduction, and for the ever-deepening of our friendship.”

Saturday’s most stunning moment, however, was when Hudson appeared on Davis’s stage at the Beverly Hilton to belt another one of Houston’s famous ballads, “The Greatest Love of All” — a nearly seven-minute tour de force that received a rapturous standing ovation from an A-list crowd that included Adrien Brody, Brandi Carlile, Chance the Rapper, Alice Cooper, Paris Hilton, Lil Nas X, Demi Lovato, Joni Mitchell, Nile Rodgers, Smokey Robinson, Olivia Rodrigo, Sharon Stone, Lars Ulrich, Diane Warren, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, Cardi B and Offset, Machine Gun Kelly and Megan Fox, Nancy and Paul Pelosi, and Pat Houston (Whitney’s sister-in-law, the president of Whitney Houston Enterprises, co-executor of Whitney’s estate, and co-producer of the biopic I Wanna Dance with Somebody).

“It was from the heart,” a humbled Hudson told Yahoo Entertainment after the epic performance.

Houston, who would have turned 60 this year, was celebrated throughout 2023’s Grammy week, with publishing company Primary Wave Music and the singer’s estate launching the “Whitney Houston Hotel.” The residency, held at the W in Hollywood, featured an immersive listening lounge, an exhibit of rare memorabilia, and two days of live music by other Houston admirers like Destiny’s Child star Michelle Williams and Glee actress Amber Riley, and a panel discussion of Houston’s legacy.

While onstage at Davis’s pre-Grammy gala Saturday, one of the event’s many other performers, Elvis Costello, recalled the shocking night of Houston’s death, when his wife, jazz singer Diana Krall, performed “If I Had You” in Houston’s honor at the 2012 gala. The mood was obviously considerably lighter this year, as Costello jammed on “Pump It Up” with Latin superstar Juanes and played his famous version of his “hero” Nick Lowe’s “(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding.” Other upbeat highlights of Saturday’s event included vivacious performances by Lil Baby, Lil Wayne, Lizzo, and Latto; Italian Best New Artist nominees Måneskin performing their rockin’ cover of the Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons’ “Beggin’”; and, in an unexpected cross-generational moment, the actual Valli crooning “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You.” Sheryl Crow also paid tribute to another lost legend, the recently departed Christine McVie, by performing Fleetwood Mac’s “Songbird” and “Say You Love Me” solo on piano.

At the end of the evening, Atlantic Records executives Julie Greenwald and Craig Kallman received the 2023 Grammy Salute to Industry Icons honor, presented by Grammy-winning rapper Cardi B, who thanked the pair for supporting during the difficult process of creating her debut album while she was pregnant and assuring her that she could “have it all.”

Clive Davis' pre-Grammy gala returns with Lizzo, Sheryl Crow and memories of Whitney Houston
MELISSA RUGGIERI | USA TODAY

Ask Clive Davis how he feels about his storied Pre-Grammy Gala returning live after a two-year COVID-related adjustment and the music impresario is quietly reflective.

“It’s an emotional time more than ever,” Davis said Friday, sitting in his suite at the Beverly Hills Hotel, the location of the Grammys-eve event since shortly after its 1976 inception until the mid-2000s. “This is quite a tastemaker and influential event and this year is no exception.”

The 2023 edition of Davis’ star-spangled collection of celebrities from music (Earth, Wind & Fire, Olivia Rodrigo), film (Tom Hanks, Sharon Stone) and politics (Nancy and Paul Pelosi) were unveiled at the Beverly Hilton Saturday.

Davis had swapped his casual green pullover and cream pants of Friday for a natty suit and “Wicked”-green tie at Saturday’s bash, a three-plus hour celebration of music from all genres and demographics.

Davis’ longtime friend Kevin Costner – the pair bonded in the ‘90s over Whitney Houston and “The Bodyguard” – introduced the record industry legend with stories about Davis’ perseverance (“No one was really betting on Clive, except Clive”) and an emotional reminder of Houston’s death hours before the gala in 2012.

“Neither one of us in this room could save our beloved Whitney,” Costner said before addressing Davis. “But your fingerprints on her life are clean, my friend.”

During Friday’s sit-down with USA TODAY, Davis concurred that the spirit of Houston continues to pervade the event.

“The Whitney memories are always there,” Davis said, his voice soft and deliberate. “She played the party at least six times and I had no idea that she planned to surprise me the year of her death – and I was with her eight hours before (she died).”

Inside the Beverly Hilton ballroom on Saturday, Davis summoned one of his most beloved discoveries, Jennifer Hudson, to pay tribute to Houston.

Clad in a body-hugging silver strapless gown, Hudson uncorked her massive voice for a spectacular rendition of “Greatest Love of All.” Her fingers splayed and shaking from emotion, Hudson’s vocals boomed as she escalated to glass-shattering notes.

The show hopscotched from rock (Elvis Costello and The Imposters with guest Juanes tackling “Pump It Up”; Lauren Daigle steamrolling through Dusty Springfield’s “Son of a Preacher Man”) to pop (Hudson) to hip-hop (Latto twerking through her “Big Energy,” Lil Baby and Lil Wayne sauntering through “California Breeze” and “John,” respectively).

Meanwhile, Cardi B introduced this year’s Salute to Industry Icons Award winners – Julie Greenwald and Craig Kallman of Atlantic Records – in her typical New York-ese (“I’m not making this speech because I want them to give me a bigger budget for my new record,” she said with a giggle).

But it was evident throughout the night that Davis, who turns 91 in April, still possesses a deep love of music and thrills at organizing an event that attracts a smorgasbord of celebrities.

“(This) became a party to celebrate music. There are no winners, no losers. There’s no competition,” he said on Friday. “Somehow, we are all are fiercely competitive, but bonded by our love of music and I’m grateful that they come to my stage, my party.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Juanes On Performing With Elvis Costello, New Music & More | Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Gala 2023:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVzQqIBp7GA
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elcolombiano.com/cultura/mu ... GI20284561

Juanes cantó con Elvis Costelo en la pregala de los Grammy

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/ ... 12716/amp/

(…)
Check out the setlist for Clive Davis’ 2023 pre-Grammy party:

Måneskin – “I Wanna Be Tour Slave,” ” Beggin'”
Frankie Valli – “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You”
Lizzo – “Break Up Twice”
Sheryl Crow – Christine McVie tribute “Songbird,” “Say You Love Me”
Jennifer Hudson – “Greatest Love of All”
Elvis Costello and The Imposters with Juanes – “Pump it Up,” “Peace, Love & Understanding”
Lauren Daigle – “Son of a Preacher Man”
Latto – “Sunshine,” “Big Energy”
Lil Baby – “Forever,” “California Breeze”
Lil Wayne – “John,” “Lollipop,” “Steady Mobbin,” “Uproar,” “A Mill”
Myles Frost – “Billie Jean,” “Rock With You”
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

The fact that EC and the Imps are there means they likely were already advised they had won.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Newspaper Pane wrote:The fact that EC and the Imps are there means they likely were already advised they had won.
Sadly not.

On February 5, Spanish newspaper "La Vanguardia" reported on Juanes performing with Elvis at the Pre-Grammys Gala:

"Juanes cantó con Elvis Costello en la gala previa a los Grammy de Clive Davis

Es una fiesta que organiza el afamado productor musical (hoy con 90 años) Clive Davis. Este año, volvió a la presencialidad después de la pandemia para honrar a Craig Kallman y Julie Greenwald de Atlantic Records. El paisa estuvo presente en el escenario.
Juanes and EC, Beverly Hills Hilton, February 4, 2023
Juanes and EC, Beverly Hills Hilton, February 4, 2023
2023-02-05 Beverly Hills photo 05 px.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
Es una gala que organizan los Grammy con el legendario productor musical Clive Davis. No se hacía desde 2020 y esta vez traía a un colombiano en escena.

Davis, como es habitual, quiso mantener el secretismo de quienes iban a cantar en la fiesta que honraría a los ejecutivos Craig Kallman, director ejecutivo y presidente de Atlantic Records, y Julie Greenwald, directora ejecutiva y presidenta de Atlantic Music Group. A la revista Billboard le dio un adelanto sin muchas precisiones: “Habrá un dúo entre una ‘súper estrella latina’ y un ‘gran héroe del rock’ y también actuarán dos súper estrellas de Atlantic”.

La súper estrella latina era Juanes y el gran héroe del rock Elvis Costello. Ambos cantaron Pump it up, uno de los éxitos más conocidos de Costello, grabado por el británico en 1978 y lo hicieron en inglés y español.

“Muy honrado de estar aquí, no veo la hora de actuar con Elvis Costello, estoy muy emocionado y feliz”, dijo Juanes a Billboard en la alfombra roja antes de ingresar al recinto, espacio en el que también desfilaron personalidades de la talla de Kevin Costner, Demi lovato, Emilio Estefan, Cardi B, Anitta, Sheryl Crown, Jennifer Hudson, Nancy Pelosi, Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Sebastián Yatra, Olivia Rodrigo y Paris Hilton.

“Clive Davis es una leyenda, hay mucho talento y creatividad en quienes están aquí en esta gala que me llenan de inspiración”, añadió Juanes, quien confirmó que en aproximadamente un mes estará lanzando una nueva canción de su próximo álbum, del que ya se conoce el sencillo Amores Prohibidos.

Costello invitó a Juanes a cantar esta canción en el álbum Spanish Model de Elvis Costello & the Attractions y lo presentaron en vivo en el show de Jimmy Kimmel hace un año."

or in "English" via Google Translate:

"Juanes sang with Elvis Costello at Clive Davis' pre-Grammy gala

It is a party organized by the famous music producer (now 90 years old) Clive Davis. This year, he returned in person after the pandemic to honor Craig Kallman and Julie Greenwald of Atlantic Records. The paisa was present on stage.

It is a gala organized by the Grammys with the legendary music producer Clive Davis. It had not been done since 2020 and this time it brought a Colombian on stage.

Davis, as usual, wanted to keep the secrecy of those who were going to sing at the party that would honor executives Craig Kallman, CEO and president of Atlantic Records, and Julie Greenwald, CEO and president of Atlantic Music Group. He gave a preview to Billboard magazine without much detail: "There will be a duet between a 'Latin superstar' and a 'great rock hero' and two Atlantic superstars will also perform."

The Latino superstar was Juanes and the great rock hero Elvis Costello. Both sang Pump it up, one of Costello's best-known hits, recorded by the British in 1978 and they did it in English and Spanish.

"Very honored to be here, I can't wait to perform with Elvis Costello, I am very excited and happy," Juanes told Billboard on the red carpet before entering the venue, a space in which personalities such as Kevin also paraded. Costner, Demi Lovato, Emilio Estefan, Cardi B, Anitta, Sheryl Crown, Jennifer Hudson, Nancy Pelosi, Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Sebastián Yatra, Olivia Rodrigo and Paris Hilton.

"Clive Davis is a legend, there is a lot of talent and creativity in those who are here at this gala that fills me with inspiration," added Juanes, who confirmed that in about a month he will be releasing a new song from his next album, which is already known. knows the single Forbidden Loves.

Costello invited Juanes to sing this song on the Elvis Costello & the Attractions album Spanish Model and they performed it live on the Jimmy Kimmel show a year ago."

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.showbiz411.com/2023/02/07/g ... dy-collins

Grammy Weekend Notes from Table 119 at Clive Davis Dinner: Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Elvis Costello Meet Judy Collins

Clive Davis pre-Grammy dinner, Saturday Feb 4th, Beverly Hilton ballroom, table 119. That was the table with iconic legends Joni Mitchell, Stephen Stills, Judy Collins and Peter Asher where there was much foot traffic as fellow artists, i.e.: Elvis Costello, and music peeps came to pay homage.

The poignancy of seeing these people sitting in those chairs was not lost on anyone. Elvis first started with Joni Mitchell, then went over to Judy Collins, whom he told “My love, I’ve always wanted to meet you!” Judy shouted out “Elvis Costello-I can’t believe it!”

Judy realized she hadn’t done the carpet and went through the crowd to do it. On her way she ran smack into Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson (a talented singer herself) who were both ecstatic to see her. Rita told me, “It’s always been my dream to meet her. She’s just the best!” Tom loudly exclaimed, “Judy Collins, come on!” They showered her with praise.

A heartwarming sight was to see Nancy and Paul Pelosi bopping happy watching Frankie Valli singing “Can’t Take My Eyes off of You.” Apple’s Tim Cook, and Zane Lowe at the same table, were doing the same thing,

Sharon Stone was owning the night in her pink outfit with her tutu, charming the whole room, hanging with her longtime buddy and wingman, music supervisor Bonnie Greenberg, Sharon literally sat on the stairs and greeted all who walked by. MSNBC’s Ari Melber and CNN’s Don Lemon, with his fiancé Tim Malone, were particularly charmed by sensational Sharon. Who could not be?

And to top it all off, as Joni was leaving, and Lil Wayne was playing, the great singer songwriter started to dance as she left the room, while an appreciative small crowd cheered her on.

Doesn’t get better than that.

Thank you Clive Davis!

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Interesting to see Stephen Stills in the picture with Judy and EC.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »