Green Day covers Alison (1997 outtake)

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Green Day covers Alison (1997 outtake)

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/news/music/ ... on-3328916

Green Day share newly unearthed ‘Nimrod’ demo, announce 25th anniversary edition
The new version of Green Day’s classic fifth album, dubbed ‘Nimrod XXV’, sports more than 50 songs

Green Day have come good on their teaser from earlier this week, revealing an expansive deluxe edition of their fifth album, ‘Nimrod’ – dubbed ‘Nimrod XXV’ – alongside a previously unreleased demo from its recording sessions.

READ MORE: The Big Read – Green Day: “We live our lives as if we have nothing”
The drop comes exactly 25 years since the band released ‘Nimrod’ – the follow-up to 1995’s ‘Insomniac’ (for which Green Day also released a quarter-centennial edition) first hit shelves on October 14, 1997. It spawned four singles: ‘Hitchin’ A Ride’, ‘Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)’, ‘Redundant’ and ‘Nice Guys Finished Last’.

The original album sported 18 tracks (tying it with 2009’s ‘21st Century Breakdown’ as Green Day’s longest), but a Japanese edition featured a bonus song called ‘Desensitized’, while an Australian version also featured the demos ‘Suffocate’, ‘Do Da Da’ and ‘You Lied’. None of those latter three songs appear on the new edition of ‘Nimrod’, but it does feature ‘Desensitized’, as well demos for seven songs that didn’t make the cut for its original release.

Two of those – ‘You Irritate Me’ and ‘Tre Polka’ – have never before been shared with the public. Green Day changed that today (October 14) for ‘You Irritate Me’, dropping it alongside the details for ‘Nimrod XXV’. Have a listen below:

In addition to the original album’s 18 tracks and the aforementioned eight demos, ‘Nimrod XXV’ features a cover of Elvis Costello’s 1977 song ‘Alison’, plus a full, 20-track live album recorded at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia on November 14, 1997.

————————
YouTube: https://youtu.be/hSC44r9uAG4
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Green Day covers Alison (1997 outtake)

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.1057thepoint.com/music-news ... his-friday

Green Day dropping Elvis Costello cover this Friday

If you feel like this world is killing you, maybe Green Day covering “Alison” will help.

The “American Idiot” trio will release a rendition of the Elvis Costello classic this Friday, January 13. Billie Joe Armstrong and company’s recording of the 1977 tune dates back to the recording sessions for Green Day’s 1997 album, Nimrod.

The “Alison” cover will appear on the upcoming 25th anniversary edition of Nimrod, due out January 27. The expanded collection includes a host of previously unreleased demos, as well as a full live recording from a 1997 concert in Philadelphia.

The original Nimrod spawned the singles “Hitchin’ a Ride” and “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” and has been certified double-Platinum by the RIAA.

Meanwhile, Green Day recently confirmed that they’ve been working on a new album to follow their latest effort, 2020’s Father of All…
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It’s a shame this wasn’t released on the original album as it would have made Elvis a fortune!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The sparseness of the guitar reminds me of the way Nick Lowe plays it live.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
WallyRando

Post by WallyRando »

The few minor lyrical changes puzzle me - I think Billie Joe sang it as “fickle valentine” on that VH1 event, too. I remember a younger me being quite miffed one would dare mess up the king’s lyrics in his very presence.

Now I’m sure there’s a reason for it but I still refuse to like it. :lol:

I do enjoy the guitar, though. It’s quite like how I play it on my own.