EC and T Bone Burnett "writing new songs for a Coward Brothers project"

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC and T Bone Burnett "writing new songs for a Coward Brothers project"

Post by And No Coffee Table »

As spotted by Ronny on Facebook...

The October issue of Mojo (with Kate Bush on the cover) features an interview with T Bone Burnett by David Fricke. A list of T Bone's current project includes "writing new songs for a Coward Brothers project."

The interview includes:
You were an opening act for Elvis Costello before co-producing and playing on his 1986 album, King of America. Why did the two of you bond so quickly?

Elvis and I both have the streak you were talking about. He writes with a great deal of moral authority. But first of all, we bonded over loving the same music. He knows more about American music than 99.9 per cent of the people in this country. So we were able to DJ for each other, hip each other to things. We have the same taste. And he's an artist — an honest-to-God solo artist.

When I interviewed you in 1986 for a Rolling Stone story on Costello, you said this about him: "My main criticism is that some of what he's done is too facile. He has to be careful with his brain." And when I mentioned that to Costello, he replied, "I know how to write songs already. What I learned from T Bone was when to leave them alone."

That criticism doesn't ring true today. He's way past that now. It's been fascinating writing these new [Coward Brothers] songs together. We're both operating at complete autonomy. Neither one of us has any objections to anything the other does, which is the way to collaborate. The thing I can't stand in collaboration, the thing I try to head off at the pass, is when a person says, "I feel very strongly that…" (laughs) As soon as a person says that, I usualy, say, "This isn't a time for strong feelings."
Elvis also contributes a sidebar:
Attachments
t bone.jpg
t bone.jpg (70.16 KiB) Viewed 3620 times
Top balcony

Re: EC and T Bone Burnett "writing new songs for a Coward Brothers project"

Post by Top balcony »

Wow - bring it on , the sooner the better!!!!!
jardine

Post by jardine »

lovely! hopefully it will be made public on a format that i can play.

too soon?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

jardine wrote:lovely! hopefully it will be made public on a format that i can play.
Yes, well most of us would be fecked if TBB came up with an Elvis version of his Bob exclusive https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... ls-for-15m
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

"It's Not Too Late" - a new one on me http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... t_Too_Late
GCM

Post by GCM »

This superb song has been on my Spotify favourites playlist for months after it was used as the theme song for the TV show "Mr Mercedes".
I had no idea it was co-written by Mr McManus.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB ... hp?t=12229

(…)
Elvis spoke about placement of his songs in film and TV. He also spoke about working with T Bone Burnett on a three part presentation of the story of the Coward Brothers. He didn’t say on what medium it would appear, but mentioned it was not theatre."
(…)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.