When I Was Cruel No. 2

Pretty self-explanatory
notesrecliner

When I Was Cruel No. 2

Post by notesrecliner »

With "When I Was Cruel No. 2," Elvis Costello utilizes sampling technology while commenting on his younger "revenge and guilt" persona from the perspective of a new century and finds that his capacity for cruelty is very much intact. Here's the latest from Recliner Notes:

http://reclinernotes.com/2022/08/14/whe ... ruel-no-2/
Hawksmoor

Re: When I Was Cruel No. 2

Post by Hawksmoor »

Another cracking review/analysis, and I'm so glad you included the stuff about 'When I Was Cruel No 1'. I think it's one of his defining songs, and I love the line of his that you quote 'the key song when it comes to…my own sensibilities…is not ‘My Dark Life’. It’s ‘When I Was Cruel No. 1'. I remember getting the 'Tear Off Your Own Head' single, and how excited we all were that he'd returned to 'rocking out'. And 'Tear Off Your Owen Head' is great. But then I flipped it, and it was a revelation. It's just the very essence of everything I want from an Elvis Costello song, and I'm still amazed that it languishes on a B-side and a 'rarities' compilation!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great review. I always wondered if the music editor was Garry Bushell.

I’m sure someone will be able to pitch in here. When I was Cruel no. 1 was played solo in 1999. Was Elvis and Cait’s relationship struggling at that time?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
notesrecliner

Post by notesrecliner »

Thank you both!

Verbal Gymnastics - I think it's safe to say that their relationship had been rocky for some time. Heck, my piece about "Deep Dark Truthful Mirror" lays out their struggles back in 1987:

http://reclinernotes.com/2022/07/17/dee ... ul-mirror/
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That’s quite some time!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
clowntimeisover

Post by clowntimeisover »

I don't post very often, mainly a lurker who likes to read, but I have to commend this post and the blog by notesrecliner here. Your analysis is absolutely definitive for me! I have always loved WIWC as an album, it's very mysterious and definitely found EC in his dark introspective mode and your writing on the central track from it has lit my appreciation for that album even more.

Such an underrated gem, I was sad when Hey Clockface didn't have more of those "sons of Cruel" songs like No Flag and Hetty, although I guess that's more a sonic relation thing than a thematic lyrical one....

But yes, what a masterpiece and I loved how you connected and mentioned WIWC No. 1 as well, something that always baffled me in how different it was in every aspect but the chorus line. I had no clue about the Cait connection to it. I hope that one day EC talks more about this musical period, or at least that the appreciation for it from his fanbase grows. Maybe since I'm not a traditionalist in taste for EC's stuff (being born in the 90's helps), the trip-hop/DIY/lo-fi production aspects are a bit more at home...? Anyways... rambling and moving on.

Thanks for your writing! I will follow your blog :)
notesrecliner

Post by notesrecliner »

Gosh, clowntimeisover, thanks for the kind words!
clowntimeisover

Post by clowntimeisover »

notesrecliner wrote:Gosh, clowntimeisover, thanks for the kind words!
It seems EC also liked it, since he shared a link on your writing about WIWC! Congrats! 8)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

clowntimeisover wrote:
notesrecliner wrote:Gosh, clowntimeisover, thanks for the kind words!
It seems EC also liked it, since he shared a link on your writing about WIWC! Congrats! 8)
https://mobile.twitter.com/ElvisCostello
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
notesrecliner

Post by notesrecliner »

Yep, he's shared seven of the Recliner Notes posts on Twitter and Instagram! It's been thrilling each time!