Elvis & The Imposters, Paso Robles, CA, Vino Robles Amphitheatre, September 2, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Paso Robles, CA, Vino Robles Amphitheatre, September 2, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters, with Charlie Sexton play the Vino Robles Amphitheatre, on September 2, 2022. The opening act is Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets.

This is an outdoor arena on the site of a vineyard, as the name would suggest. Trip Advisor tells us that "The boutique amphitheatre is nestled on a picturesque, oak-dotted hillside in Paso Robles on California's Central Coast. With its opening in the summer of 2013, the Vina Robles Amphitheatre became one of the largest outdoor venues for arts and entertainment in San Luis Obispo County. Featuring a style reminiscent of the California missions, guests are able to immerse themselves in a unique and intimate concert adventure as they enjoy modern amenities and first class hospitality."

Hopefully the audience will not be too immersed in the local wines, and will give the music their full attention.

Seats are still for sale at a range of prices from $59 to $170 for the best available seats.

Who's going?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Paso Robles, CA, Vino Robles Amphitheatre, September 2, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

Glen Starkey writing in the San Luis Obispo New Times on September 1, 2022 previewed this show thus:

"Rock legend Elvis Costello & The Imposters play Vina Robles Amphitheatre on Sept. 1

You either appreciate Elvis Costello or you're wrong. Born Declan Patrick MacManus, the Grammy Award winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee started humbly in the early '70s as part of London's pub rock scene before being swept into the punk and new wave movement. His 1977 debut, My Aim Is True, remains an iconic example of the era's sound.

His 32nd studio album, The Boy Named If (2022), proves Costello's inventiveness, musicality, and lyricism remain undiminished. See for yourself when Elvis Costello & The Imposters play Vina Robles Amphitheatre this Friday, Sept. 1 (8 p.m.; $59.50 to $87.50 at ticketmaster.com), with special guests Nick Lowe & Los Straightjackets opening.

Lowe and Costello go way back. They met in a pub opposite The Cavern Club in Liverpool in 1972. In 1976, Lowe was house producer and recording artist at the small London indie label Stiff Records, who had just signed Costello. Low produced his first record, My Aim Is True. How's that for history?"

Who's going?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Paso Robles, CA, Vino Robles Amphitheatre, September 2, 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://pasoroblesdailynews.com/review- ... es/150316/

Review: Elvis Costello heats it up at Vina Robles
Nearly sold out crowd braves the heat Friday night

So you thought it got hot in Paso during the Fair? How about 110 degrees a month later? But that didn’t scare off the nearly sold-out crowd excited to see Elvis Costello at Vina Robles Amphitheatre on Friday night to kick off Labor Day weekend on the Central Coast.

Once the sun went down and underrated songwriter Nick Lowe set a merry tone with a solid opening ten-song set supported by the mask-clad band Los Straitjackets, the oppressive heat became just another balmy evening in magical wine country.

And that positive vibe served to energize Costello, who’s often hit and miss with past inconsistent live performances and vocal struggles. But not this time at his first visit to the equally intimate, spacious rural outdoor venue. We know his guitar can soar but his unique voice did too.

Straight away, he got everyone up and grooving with his infectious Radio Radio then alternated between more recent tunes and signature tracks like Accidents Will Happen and Watching the Detectives.

Backed by a tight, 4-piece band that included Charlie Sexton on lead guitar, the artist born Declan McManus continued to sample various songs from his nearly 50 years in the music biz, in between telling some funny stories (“as a teenager, like all budding musicians, I performed for furtive glances and female affection”) from that illustrious career. It always helps when performers feel at ease and just like the title of his fourth album, it was definitely a night for Costello to “get happy.”

Switching between electric and acoustic guitar, Costello led the audience on a diverse musical journey of new wave, lounge jazz, poetic blues, rockabilly — even some pseudo-psychedelic hard rock. While his 19-song set bogged down a bit in the middle, he quickly brought it back to life at the end with Pump It Up, What’s So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding, and the cool ballad Alison.

Costello and fellow countryman Joe Jackson have much in common: both arose from the English punk/new wave scene and continually release new music and reinvent themselves, refusing to be pigeonholed into one genre. But Costello is more of a rocker poet as he stood front and center, skillfully engaging the crowd while shredding on rhythm guitar for the entire 105-minute concert.

My only quibble with these nostalgia rock shows, and I hesitate somewhat to use that description for Costello, is their spotty song selection. Festive summer holiday events require extra hit songs for concertgoers in the mood to party so leaving out classics like Red Shoes, Whisper to a Scream, Girls Talk, Veronica, and Oliver’s Army was disappointing.

But hey, nothing is ever 100-percent and the Vina Robles Amphitheater always plays its trump card as one of the rare venues around (think Red Rocks) that shines as brightly as the headliners they host.

So on this starry night of live music amongst endless vineyards, our collective wine glasses were definitely half-full.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I agree with the reviewer about the festival shows being more hit laden. Over the years I believe Elvis could have widened his audience (and sales) by doing so. Who knows, this n me at have led to some people checking out his catalogue.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?