Sammy Hagar covers “Pump It Up”

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Sammy Hagar covers “Pump It Up”

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/sam ... azy-times/

“I Love This Record”: Sammy Hagar Discusses New Album, ‘Crazy Times’ With uDiscover Music
The legendary US rocker’s second album with his Billboard chart-topping supergroup, The Circle, is out via UMe on September 23.

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame-inducted, Grammy award-winning singer, songwriter, performer, entrepreneur, and New York Times No.1 best- selling author Sammy Hagar has announced the release of his second studio album, Crazy Times, with his Billboard chart-topping supergroup, The Circle.

Crazy Times, finds Hagar, fellow Hall of Famer and longtime bassist Michael Anthony, Grammy-winning drummer Jason Bonham and Grammy-winning guitar virtuoso Vic Johnson change course, traveling to Nashville to record the album with 8-time Grammy Award winning producer Dave Cobb at Nashville’s historic RCA Studio A. With the album due out Friday, September 23 via UMe, the band has released the first single, the single song “Crazy Times”, which you can check out below.

“This record holds up, I’m very proud of it!”
“It’s hard for me to talk about this thing with as much passion as I feel without sounding like I’m hyping it or bragging about it or trying to, you know, get people to buy it”, Sammy Hagar tells uDiscover Music in an exclusive new interview. “I love this f_king record. I mean, I just don’t, I don’t even know how the hell we made it because this band we’ve been together almost 10 years, but we’ve only recorded once before. But yeah, we did it. I think this song and this record holds up. I’m very proud of it.”

Crazy Times, the band’s long-anticipated sophomore album, is a follow-up to their much-lauded debut Space Between, a multi-category No.1 Billboard charting album. The new album will include 10 songs, nine of which Hagar wrote or co-wrote, along with a notable cover, “Pump It Up,” a 1978 song by Elvis Costello and the Attractions, from their much-acclaimed album This Year’s Model. The song “Crazy Times” was written by the whole band along with producer Dave Cobb and recorded live.

“I’ve really gotta credit Dave Cobb because I turned him down about three years ago when he first approached me to make a record”, Hagar reveals. “And I said, well, I got this band and I don’t want to compete with my classic hits, what I’ve done in the past. It’s almost impossible in that sense, but I just wanted to make a hard left and, and, and go play like almost acoustic songs with big drums and you know, kind of like the experimental things led Zeppelin and some other hard rock bands did with, with acoustic guitars…kind of Americana. Dave said, oh, I make those sort of records all the time. Let me know when you wanna make the, the definitive Sammy Hagar record!”

“He’s just a genius producer”, Hagar adds. “I’m telling you for rock country, soul. I don’t care what it is. That guy is amazing.”

“It’s definitely darker than most of what I do”
“I wrote a lot of lyrics during, during the COVID lockdown”, he reveals, speaking of the background to the song “Crazy Times”. “I couldn’t write songs during that time, but I felt a lot of things. I was writing poetry and I just went through all my notes and I found a lot of negative dark stuff, you know? And that’s not Sammy Hagar. I mean, that’s, that’s the last thing I am, you know? I’m usually Mr. Sunshine. So I didn’t mind, you know. Among my favourite bands in the world are Tool and pink Floyd and I love these dark bands, you know? That sort of thing’s not usually what I am and “Crazy Times”…well, it’s it’s not ‘dark, dark’, but it is definitely darker than most of what I do.”

For more than five decades, Sammy Hagar has been recognized as one of the best and most accomplished lead singers and songwriters in rock music. From breaking into the industry with the seminal hard rock band Montrose, to his multi-platinum solo career, to his ride as the frontman of Van Halen, Chickenfoot and his latest best-selling supergroup, The Circle, Hagar has amassed 25 Platinum albums on sales surpassing 50 million worldwide.

Crazy Times includes the following tracks:

“Intro: The Beginning Of The End”
“Slow Drain”
“Feed Your Head”
“Pump It Up”
“Be Still”
“You Get What You Pay For”
“Crazy Times!
“Funky Feng Shui”
“Father Time”
“Childhoods End”
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Sammy Hagar covers “Pump It Up”

Post by sweetest punch »

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-h ... ump-it-up/

HEAR SAMMY HAGAR COVER ELVIS COSTELLO’S ‘PUMP IT UP’

Sammy Hagar has released a cover of Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up" as the second single from his forthcoming album with the Circle.

He says the Top 25 U.K. hit from 1978 "has been a Circle go-to backstage jam before shows." Hagar first mentioned possibly recording it last year in a post that also featured a snippet of the song. "This one might make a good cover!" he enthused back then.

The official music video is modeled after Costello's original clip. Watch it here: https://youtu.be/DGo87Lhf7xg

"Pump It Up" will appear on the Crazy Times, Hagar's third studio project with longtime Van Halen and Chickenfoot bandmate Michael Anthony, guitarist Vic Johnson and drummer Jason Bonham as the Circle. Set for release on Sept. 30, Crazy Times was recorded in Nashville with producer Dave Cobb.

"Before I stepped into the studio with Dave, he'd told me he wanted the best of my career on this record, and he wasn't going to let me get out of that studio until I gave it to him," Hagar said in an earlier news release. "So, I said, 'If you expect that from me, at my age, as many records as I've made, you're going to have to push me,' and he said no problem.

"Obviously, I dug down and just tried to write good strong songs, great lyrics, great melodies and not worry so much about the arrangements because he had that covered," Hagar added, "and he pushed and squeezed every one of us. We went in the studio with seven songs and came out with 10."

The results were initially previewed with the title-track first single in July. Next week finds Hagar resuming his on-going Crazy Times Tour alongside George Thorogood and the Destroyers. Those dates continue through Sept. 10.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/sam ... it-up/?amp

“A rock of a tune!”: Sammy Hagar Dicusses Covering Elvis Costello’s ‘Pump It Up’ With uDiscover Music
The track also features on Hagar And The Circle’s new album, ‘Crazy Times’, scheduled for release on September 23.

Sammy Hagar has shared his hard-rocking cover of Elvis Costello’s “Pump It Up”, taken from Crazy Times, his second studio album with Billboard chart-topping supergroup, The Circle. You can watch the song’s official video, directed by Travis Detweiler, below.

Taken at face value, Costello’s new wave classic might not seem like an obvious track for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame-inducted, Grammy award-winning singer, songwriter, performer, entrepreneur, and New York Times No.1 best- selling author to reimagine. However, as Hagar says in an exclusive interview with uDiscover Music, “Pump It Up” is a song he’s loved for many years.

“Well, that’s a hard rock tune and it’s a rock of a tune too!”, he says with some relish. “I’ve been trying to do that song for a long, long time – ever since I started Chickenfoot in 2008.”

“I played with Elvis Costello on a TV show in 1977 or ’78, somewhere in England and we were hanging around together all day”, Hagar adds. “Elvis played “Pump It Up” on that show and seeing him live in a studio and being around him all day had a big effect on me. I just loved “Pump It Up”, I thought it was the greatest punk song. I think [our version] is a pretty cool cover. I love singing it.”

“Pump It Up” is one of the key tracks on Hagar and The Circle’s new album, Crazy Times. To put the new record together, Hagar, along with fellow Hall of Famer and longtime bassist Michael Anthony, Grammy-winning drummer Jason Bonham and Grammy-winning guitar virtuoso Vic Johnson travelled to Nashville to record the album with 8-time Grammy Award winning producer Dave Cobb at Nashville’s historic RCA Studio A. The album is set for release on September 23 and its title song was released as its first single on July 29.

“It’s hard for me to talk about this album with as much passion as I feel without sounding like I’m hyping it or bragging about it or trying to, you know, get people to buy it”, Hagar recently told uDiscover Music. “I love this f_king record. I mean, I just don’t, I don’t even know how the hell we made it because this band we’ve been together almost 10 years, but we’ve only recorded once before. But yeah, we did it. I think this song and this record holds up. I’m very proud of it.”
krm

Post by krm »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/sam ... it-up/?amp

“I played with Elvis Costello on a TV show in 1977 or ’78, somewhere in England and we were hanging around together all day”, Hagar adds. “Elvis played “Pump It Up” on that show and seeing him live in a studio and being around him all day had a big effect on me. I just loved “Pump It Up”, I thought it was the greatest punk song. I think [our version] is a pretty cool cover. I love singing it.”
This maybe
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... f_The_Pops
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I'll just leave this here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGo87Lhf7xg
WallyRando

Post by WallyRando »

I guess Sammy doesn’t share the opinion of the singer he famously replaced. :lol: