Elvis & The Imposters, Buffalo, NY, Artpark Amphitheater , August 9th 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Buffalo, NY, Artpark Amphitheater , August 9th 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters, with Charlie Sexton play the Artpark Amphitheater, Buffalo, NY. The venue is an outdoor amphitheater, overlooking the Niagara River gorge. Nicole Atkins is the Opening Act.

John Law writing in the Niagara Falls Review previewed the concert thus in an article published on February 17, 2022.

"The Lewiston, N.Y. arts venue — across the Niagara River from Queenston — has announced rock legend Elvis Costello for its outdoor amphitheatre Aug. 9, with special guest Nicole Atkins.

Costello, along with his band The Attractions, recently released a new album, “The Boy Named If.” A summer tour kicks off May 8 in New Orleans and includes a date at Massey Hall in Toronto the night before the Artpark show.

Tickets range from $19 to $67 (U.S.) and increase by $5 the week of the show. Carry-in chairs will be permitted in designated areas."

Good to see a writer with his finger on the pulse - although fans of Bruce Thomas may be disappointed that he will not be appearing.

Who's going?

MOOT
krm

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Buffalo, NY, Artpark Amphitheater , August 9th 2022

Post by krm »

it´s not easy to get things right.....
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (182.92 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From setlist.fm:

01. Accidents Will Happen
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. Mystery Dance
06. Watching The Detectives
07. I'll Wear It Proudly - with Nicole Atkins
08. My Most Beautiful Mistake - with Nicole Atkins
09. Still Too Soon To Know - with Nicole Atkins
10. You Belong To Me - with Nicole Atkins
11. American Gangster Time
12. Truth Drug
13. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
14. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
15. Uncomplicated
16. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
17. Magnificent Hurt
18. Pump It Up
19. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
20. Alison - including This Old Heart Of Mine

"This Old Heart Of Mine," last performed by EC with Flip City in 1974, was undoubtedly in tribute to co-writer Lamont Dozier, who died yesterday.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Nicole Atkins: "Gotta say, I’m really enjoying singing with this guy."

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Buffalo News writer Dale Anderson, posted to Facebook on August 10, 2022.

"“The Baked Potato? What’s that?” I ask the young woman at the Elvis Costello concession table. She’s sporting a black T-shirt bearing that message, along with the crude outline of a spud and the words “Est. 1970.”

She doesn’t know, she says, but Pete the drummer gave them out to everyone in the crew earlier. “It’s his birthday,” she adds.

It’s not the only Baked Potato T-shirt we’ll see Tuesday evening at Artpark in Lewiston. The sound guy at stage left, he’s got one. So does the opening act, singer-songwriter Nicole Atkins, when she comes out to harmonize four songs with Costello in the middle of his 100-minute set. And, of course, there’s the one adorning Pete Thomas, back there at his drum kit.

Thomas is one of the two members of Costello’s original band, the Attractions, who are present in his current group, the Imposters. The other is the man all in red at the keyboards – Steve Nieve.

I spend the whole show wishing I could hear Nieve better. Even when the sound improves after the opening “Accidents Will Happen,” he’s still buried beneath the blare and blaze of the guitars.

But what guitars they are! We think of Costello as a brilliant songwriter and a quirky vocalist (he even sings into a white bullhorn in “Hetty O’Hara Confidential”), but tonight he’s shining as an instrumentalist too. Perhaps the presence on stage of that other guy in sunglasses has inspired him to step up his game.

That’s none other than Charlie Sexton, the Texas guitar whiz we so admired when he was touring with Bob Dylan. In a lineup that’s powerful to begin with, he supercharges it.

I’m ready for a set that sprinkles selections from Costello’s latest album, “The Boy Named If,” between slices of his considerable catalog of old favorites, but there’s no “Farewell OK” or “Paint the Red Rose Blue.”

Instead, he does a loose harmony with Atkins on the cheating song, “My Most Beautiful Mistake,” (“I wrote this song about a guy who’s ascended and fallen,” he says). Even though I binge-listened to the album over the weekend, I’m at a loss to pick out others, although now that I glance over the back cover of the CD, I spot a couple more.

Otherwise, there’s a generous helping of hits – surprise selections like “Green Shirt” from the “Armed Forced” album back in 1979 and righteous reworkings of familiar favorites, the most spectacular being an extended guitar-laden version of “Watching the Detectives.”

The cloud-covered sky is dark when Costello introduces the band late in the show and leads the crowd in singing “Happy Birthday” to Pete. (He’s 68, a mere 16 days older than Costello.)

From there, it’s not far to the greatest Elvis Costello song that Costello didn’t write – “What’s So Funny (‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding)” – a signal that the show is over.
But not quite. Everybody takes their places again for “Alison,” with Costello explaining how they didn’t want to play this breakthrough hit ballad when they first visited Buffalo many years ago because it would make everybody think they were nice guys and because “I didn’t have enough fingers to play the introduction.”

This time, thanks to Charlie Sexton, he does. It’s “Alison” plus. Tucked into the middle are strains of the Motown hit “This Old Heart of Mine.” In a night full of delights, it’s the cherry on top.

When it’s over, I go to my phone and, amid a long list of recipes, there’s the answer to my original question about The Baked Potato. It’s in Los Angeles, where Pete Thomas lives these days. Studio City, to be exact. It’s a famous jazz club on Cahuenga Boulevard, right off the Hollywood Freeway. "
2022-08-09 Lewiston Photo credit: Dale Anderson
2022-08-09 Lewiston Photo credit: Dale Anderson
2022-08-09 Lewiston photo 01 red.jpg (52.75 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
It is not clear whether this review has been published in the Buffalo News. If anyone can find a link, please add it below.

MOOT