The Open Road: new book by Bruce Thomas, June 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

The Open Road: new book by Bruce Thomas, June 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Alan

Re: The Open Road: new book by Bruce Thomas, June 2022

Post by Alan »

Just finished this book (a birthday gift) - has anyone else read it?

I found it a rather odd work (as, to me, were his previous ones, Big Wheel & Rough Notes): he's clearly a talented writer, and for the most part it's a reasonably interesting and easy read. Lots of stuff about Bruce's various 'supernatural experiences' over the years (the authenticity of which I've no reason to doubt), some of which are genuinely intriguing, plus a few anecdotes about his time in the band (some recycled, others pretty unremarkable). But overall, having now been through three of his books, I'm still not entirely sure what it is that he wants to say about his life, career, 'what it all means', etc. As regards his time in the Attractions, it's also still not really clear to me exactly what led to his irrevocable fall-out with Elvis (other than Cait O'R's influence, which, as he has the grace to acknowledge here, appears to have been largely the result of the serious personal problems she was suffering from herself at the time) - or, indeed, whether he regrets that his time in the band came to an end (would he have quit of his own accord, I wonder, if he hadn't been sacked?).

So, entertaining enough, but not sure I'd read it again - nor, to be honest, could I really recommend it to anyone who isn't an EC fan. But that's just my view, would be interesting to hear others if anyone else has read it.