Elvis & The Imposters, Canal Shores Golf Course, Evanston, IL, August 5th, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Canal Shores Golf Course, Evanston, IL, August 5th, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

The 2022 North American Tour visits Evanston, Illinois on August 5th. Unusually, the venue is the Canal Shores Golf Course.

Wikipedia tells us that " Founded in 1919 on the banks of the North Shore Channel of the Chicago River, the course is 3,904 yards in length, featuring a narrow and tree-lined fairway and two over-the-water holes. Eleven of the holes are located in Evanston, Illinois and 7 holes are in Wilmette, Illinois."

This is an outdoor venue. Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets and Nicole Atkins are supporting. The show is sold out.

What chance Elvis and the Imposters (with Charlie Sexton) will play "Baby Plays Around"?

Who's going?

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Canal Shores Golf Course, Evanston, IL, August 5th, 2022

Post by verbal gymnastics »

In Club-land…
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Canal Shores Golf Course, Evanston, IL, August 5th, 2022

Post by Goon Squad »

Wish I was going......!

What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pitch,Putts and Long-Driving

:wink:
Man out of Time

Anyone going to be at this show tonight?

I guess it may be a fairway to drive for some of you? That may putt you off going, especially with a hole lot of other dates to look forward to?

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 5_Evanston

01. Accidents Will Happen
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. The Death Of Magic Thinking
06. Watching The Detectives
07. Mystery Dance
08. My Most Beautiful Mistake - with Nicole Atkins
09. Still Too Soon To Know - with Nicole Atkins
10. I'll Wear It Proudly - with Nicole Atkins
11. You Belong To Me - with Nicole Atkins
12. Penelope Halfpenny
13. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
14. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
15. Magnificent Hurt
16. Pump It Up
17. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
18. Alison - including No More Tearstained Make-Up
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Ouch...18 Songs? He did 19 at my very first (the very pissed evening of his 1979 press conference!!!!) I am sure it was great and Nick did an hour I'll bet.
Ajuqsfriendjon

Post by Ajuqsfriendjon »

He talked more than normal but the show was 1:45 (off at 10pm). Didn’t get Radio Radio or Just About Glad (night before), but that’s all good. We’ve all heard those two before. Bottom line, they sounded amazing. Complete 180 from Look Now. Also, we are fortunate we got him early in the tour. The band sounded the best I’ve seen them ever. So much tighter with Charlie with fill-ins and additional backups. I would have loved 20…30…40 songs but I would take the 18 all day the way they sounded. Look Now almost made me not see them in concert anymore. However, Boy Names If and seeing Nick Lowe the same night made it an easy and great decision. Ps. Nicole Atkins is wonderful and you guys will enjoy her. Best song that was vintage sound of EC and band was…Penelope Halfpenny. I was surprised too. They tore through it and had a blast. Good luck to all on this tour!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Cool beans Jon....glad you enjoyed. No matter what...EVERY SHOW IS IMMENSE I too do believe
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://evanstonroundtable.com/2022/08/ ... al-shores/

Mellow evening for Elvis Costello at Out of Space

Headliner Elvis Costello, the venerable British rocker, played an inspired selection of classics and new material at Friday night’s Out of Space concert at Canal Shores Golf Course.

Opening with Accidents Will Happen and Green Shirt, both from his 1979 album Armed Forces, Costello then launched into a bevy of newer material before closing out the 90-minute program with rousing versions of two of his most beloved hits, Pump It Up from 1978’s This Year’s Model album and (What’s So Funny Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding (also from Armed Forces); and a beautiful, unadorned version his classic ballad Alison from the 1977 album My Aim Is True.

A sold-out crowd of 5,000 loved it. A highly unscientific and informal sample of attendees turned up about equal numbers of Elvis diehards (“I’ve been seeing him since the 1980s” was a common refrain) and Out of Space fans.

“It’s a good way to enjoy a nice night,” said Kelly Kurschner, of Wilmette. She and her husband Doug Pawlowski said they’ve seen Bruce Hornsby and Ben Harper at the venue.

James Blesius agreed. “This venue is great,” he said. He recalled seeing Patti Smith at Out of Space last year. “It was terrific, till the rains came and washed out her set.”

The weather was not a factor Friday night – it couldn’t have been lovelier – in the second of a long weekend of shows, which began with Jenny Lewis Thursday and includes singer-songwriter Lucinda Williams tonight and Chicago blues legend Buddy Guy tomorrow night. The venue switches to Temperance Beer Co., 2000 Dempster St., for a long weekend of shows Sept. 1-4 that feature Houndmouth, Car Seat Headrest, Neko Case and Steel Pulse. Information on the shows is available here.

Friday night’s weather, opening acts Nicole Atkins and Nick Lowe, and headliner Costello could be described in one word: mellow. The crowd was so congenial that Evanston Police officer Brian Rust hazarded the comment, “So far so good,” when asked about security. “Don’t want to jinx it,” he added, laughing nervously. Actually, he seemed pretty relaxed himself, smiling at the predominantly older crowd seated in droves in beach chairs arrayed across the lawn of the golf course.

Michael Musacchio, a neurosurgeon at Skokie Hospital (who, coincidentally, operated on me in March: I assured him everything’s fine) said he saw Indigo Girls at Out of Space. “They were fantastic, but it doesn’t matter who’s here, it’s always good.” Musacchio introduced me to John Powers, a past president of Canal Shores, who also saw Indigo Girls. “Cake was good,” Powers said, referring to the rock and country & western group from California, adding, “I like it here because it’s walking distance from my house.”

Dave and Nancy O’Neill of Winnekta enjoyed the Aug. 5 Out of Space concert, headlined by Elvis Costello. Credit: Les Jacobson
Nancy and Dave O’Neill, from Winnetka raved about the venue. “It’s a beautiful event, terrifically well-organized, from check-in to the food trucks and beer tents to the well-behaved fans.”

Steve Ross, sitting farther back, is another Out of Space fan. (Full disclosure: he’s my next-door neighbor in northwest Evanston.) Ross said he saw Jeff Tweedy of Wilco in a solo show three years ago. “I love the setting,” he said, adding he’s also a fanatic Costello fan of many decades.

Another fan of the venue, Gretchen Constantine, said, “I’m loving it. It’s like a mini-Ravinia.” She said she’s also “a big Elvis Costello fan, going back to the 1980s.”

Atkins’ short opening set of what might be termed rock with a tinge of country was well-received (she joined Costello for two numbers in the middle of his set), as was Lowe’s 40-minute program that included his hit Cruel to Be Kind. He did not sing his classic song, (What’s So Funny Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding, understandably ceding it to headliner Costello, who made the song famous.

The concert venue SPACE has been operating these Out of Space concerts for five years. This was my first excursion there, but it won’t be my last. Costello’s great backup band The Imposters and his signature songs with their great hooks, unusual melodies and tight arrangements, all sung in his raspy but highly agile voice (which often sounds like Springsteen) made for a stellar and fan-favorite attraction.

The lyrics of What’s So Funny might seem dark, and certainly apply to 2022 as much as they did to the events of 1974 when Lowe recorded the song (“As I walk through this wicked world, searchin’ for light in the darkness of insanity, I ask myself, is all hope lost? Is there only pain and hatred, and misery? …”) but last night seemed anything but miserable and dark, even when the sun went down at 8:10 p.m. as Costello launched into his set and the mellow crowd adored it.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
annmte

Post by annmte »

I was at this concert too. It was a lot of fun, but I was really hoping the long-time collaborators would get on stage together at some point. He brought Nicole Atkins up - why not do a song or two with Nick Lowe as well? Or at least mention that it was Nick who actually wrote "Peace Love and Understanding"? I was super surprised - even wondered if they were maybe not friendly any more. Any insights??
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
annmte

Post by annmte »

Well, IMO it doesn't say it "all" - doesn't answer why they didn't perform together, or give Nick credit for writing WSFBPLU. Also, during Nick's set, he said it was Elvis's first concert from this part of the tour, which is wrong - he had played in Michigan the night before. (and BTW I could only see the Instagram, the FB post must have privacy settings or something).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

You’re right, I also hoped for some performances together, at least expected they would perform PLU together.
The photos show that they are OK with each other, at least I think so.
verbal gymnastics

annmte wrote:I was at this concert too. It was a lot of fun, but I was really hoping the long-time collaborators would get on stage together at some point. He brought Nicole Atkins up - why not do a song or two with Nick Lowe as well? Or at least mention that it was Nick who actually wrote "Peace Love and Understanding"? I was super surprised - even wondered if they were maybe not friendly any more. Any insights??
Yes it’s disappointing but nothing to get worked up about.

I’ve never known Elvis to introduce PLU in an Imposters show by saying it was written by Nick. And I don’t think Nick introduces Alison by saying it was written by Elvis (though I could be wrong).

I think you might be looking for something that isn’t there!
verbal gymnastics

sweetest punch wrote:You’re right, I also hoped for some performances together, at least expected they would perform PLU together.
The photos show that they are OK with each other, at least I think so.
Maybe a collaboration will happen later in the tour. I’d be surprised if it didn’t but one thing I’ve learned about following Elvis is not to expect the expected :lol:
annmte

Post by annmte »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Yes it’s disappointing but nothing to get worked up about.

I’ve never known Elvis to introduce PLU in an Imposters show by saying it was written by Nick. And I don’t think Nick introduces Alison by saying it was written by Elvis (though I could be wrong).

I think you might be looking for something that isn’t there!
I concur - they both do covers all the time without necessarily acknowledging the author. But it's different when the audience has just finished listening to Nick Lowe and then Elvis goes on to sing a song Nick wrote that Elvis made famous. And unlike Alison being written by Elvis, none of the 8 people with whom I saw the concert knew that Nick Lowe wrote PLU. Just seems like a particularly relevant piece of info - and maybe you'd give a tip of your hat to your less-well-known friend?! Not worked up, just surprised - and yes, disappointed.
JPadoo

Post by JPadoo »

Oh cmon now. Elvis has been touting Nick as the greatest living British songwriter for many years, going back to Spectacle. He just recorded 2 Nick songs from the Brinsley days for the Rusty ep. I find it hard to believe that anyone attending an Elvis concert doesn’t know Peace, Love and Understanding is a Nick Lowe song!! Recent Nick Lowe interviews I’ve heard always contain references to his dear old friend Elvis. There is obvious heartfelt affection shared between these gentlemen.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

annmte wrote: I concur - they both do covers all the time without necessarily acknowledging the author. But it's different when the audience has just finished listening to Nick Lowe and then Elvis goes on to sing a song Nick wrote that Elvis made famous. And unlike Alison being written by Elvis, none of the 8 people with whom I saw the concert knew that Nick Lowe wrote PLU. Just seems like a particularly relevant piece of info - and maybe you'd give a tip of your hat to your less-well-known friend?! Not worked up, just surprised - and yes, disappointed.
Do you go to many shows? Nick stands alone as a touring artist. This is a mega-show! You get Nick + Elvis - doing their tunes. So, there is some overlap and they didn’t jam together. Whatever. I happy these two are touring together. Also, it looks like Nick is doing some side solo dates, so it could be a timing thing. A Load in/out nightmare.

So my recommendation is to chill out a bit. Maybe take a swim or go to the beach. Summer 22, yo! Live it like it is your last one because based on the people dying lately (and gee from the last 2 years!) it very well could be.

Toodles
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Nick and Elvis performed together in Toronto!!
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 08_Toronto
verbal gymnastics

He must have read this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man out of Time

Review by Jeff Elbel published in the Illinois Entertainer on August 8, 2022:

"Live Review: Elvis Costello and the Imposters • Out of Space • Evanston

Elvis Costello last visited Chicago in November, previewing material from 2022’s The Boy Named If album. Fans who missed that concert at Chicago Theatre were given a second chance to experience the strength of the English singer’s fresh material on Friday in Evanston. With a less experimental approach than 2020’s worthy Hey Clockface, The Boy Named If and its songs, including driving rocker “Magnificent Hurt,” proved to be sharp-witted and emotionally potent, with stylish playing to engage any longtime devotee of Costello’s work with the Attractions or Imposters.

The set list emphasized the extreme chronological ends of Costello’s 32-album catalog. The Attractions’ first three essential albums were well represented in order to prevent general revolt among the paying public, but the heart of the show was the clutch of five new songs from The Boy Named If and Costello’s compelling banter introducing each one. There may have been no “Veronica” or “Let Him Dangle” for fans of Spike, much less the New Wave corker “Radio, Radio,” but such omissions served to amplify Costello’s commitment to artistic forward motion. The Imposters’ spin on “Hetty O’Hara Confidential” was a highlight drawn from Hey Clockface, featuring Davey Faragher’s walking standup bass line. Costello described the song as a tale of scandal and shame. “It’s for sale everywhere you look,” he added. Drummer Pete Thomas and keyboardist Steve Nieve took the studio cut’s beatbox-infused arrangement and recast it as a lively R&B-jazz romp reminiscent of Ray Charles.

Costello expressed gratitude and relief to be reconnecting with his audience post-lockdown. He also joked about his longevity, reaching 50 years in showbiz. “We’re moving into the ABBA phase,” he said, describing a transition toward sending performing holograms on tour as true impostors.

Thomas played a conga line rhythm for “The Death of Magic Thinking” from The Boy Named If. Costello described the song as reflecting a young man’s experience, “trying to discover whether that look in someone’s eyes is a look of invitation or a look of prohibition. And boy, had you better get that right.”

Four deep cuts were offered as treats for devoted fans. “Still Too Soon to Know” was an elegant tearjerker from 1994’s Brutal Youth featuring guest Nicole Atkins, who had opened the evening ahead of a sparkling set by Nick Lowe and Los Straitjackets. Costello eschewed the single “Monkey to Man,” choosing “Either Side of the Same Town” to represent 2004’s The Delivery Man. The song was performed in tribute to Allan Mayes, Costello’s teenage friend with whom he first performed as part of the band Rusty. Costello and Mayes recently released The Resurrection of Rust, with the Imposters standing in for the original Rusty musicians from 1972.

Before launching the remaining rarity, Costello asked the summertime crowd at Canal Shores Golf Course the rhetorical question, “Do you wanna hear another one?” Amid enthusiastic response, Costello added, “It seems like the evening for it if we could just get the cicadas out of our mouths.” The band played a stirring version of the earnest “I’ll Wear it Proudly” from 1986 roots music gem King of America, also accompanied by Atkins. Revealing the collaboration’s impromptu nature, Costello directed Atkins’ warm alto harmonies and phrasing like a choral conductor.

Atkins also elevated the vibrant new R&B song “My Most Beautiful Mistake.” Costello introduced the duet by saying the song was about a reprehensible character on the prowl at a local diner, posing as a Hollywood screenwriter in search of work. “You can tell this is a work of imagination because it wouldn’t be anything like me at all,” Costello said with eyebrows raised.

Faragher connected deeply with Thomas during an extended romp through “Watching the Detectives,” performing under eerie green light. The pair displayed their collective chops with lively dub reggae fills that were decorated by Costello’s slashing spy-movie guitar and Nieve’s spook-show organ. The song included Costello’s boyhood memory of watching the thriller The Invisible Lady on late-night TV, tempted by a nearby package of abandoned cigarettes to try looking as cool as the hero. “You can’t get the genius back into the bottle,” repeated the singer at the song’s apex.

The Imposters’ lineup was further augmented by Austin, Texas guitarist Charlie Sexton, who defected from Bob Dylan’s band last year. Costello seemed to enjoy the additional firepower, joining the sound of his familiar customized Fender Jazzmaster with Sexton’s guitar during “Green Shirt.” The pair squared off at center stage for twin solos during the swinging and pleading, “What If I Can’t Give You Anything but Love?” Sexton shone throughout the evening, with a particularly hot solo during rowdy rock and roller “Mystery Dance” from the Attractions’ 1977 debut My Aim is True. When the spotlight turned his way, Nieve answered by uncorking a Johnnie Johnson-styled piano run. Sexton and Faragher added rich harmony to songs, including “Accidents Will Happen.”

Cartwheeling pop stomper “Penelope Halfpenny” borrowed a measure of New Wave energy from “Pump it Up.” Costello told a wry story about growing up Catholic and having to decide what sin to claim at his first pre-teen confessional, settling on adultery by the process of eliminating the other choices. The song was inspired by a teacher who fostered ideas of a rich and adventurous life, with an underlying notion that it would all work out “if you’d just be loving and kind to people.” The song’s coda brimmed with feral rock, crashing like the Kinks and the Who.

The crowd rose to its feet as the main set concluded with a raucous “Pump it Up” and a bristling version of “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.” Nieve punctuated the latter with riffs reminiscent of “Oliver’s Army” while Sexton lashed into his chiming Rickenbacker guitar. Many hoped for a duet with the song’s author Nick Lowe, but Elvis’ second opening act had already left the building.

Any honest fan will admit a hard truth – Costello has lost a step as a concert vocalist. When he’s got his full wind and is belting rousing material like “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea” punctuated with howls or gliding falsetto, Costello sounds like the reliable rocker his audience knows and loves. When he pulls back for a melodic crooner like the night’s encore of “Alison,” cracks show via pitchy singing and phrasing that lags Thomas’ finely tuned beat. Given significant challenges, including Costello’s cancer treatment in 2018, however, it seems blessedly lucky to have the beloved artist returned to health, in good spirits, and on stage at all – and still delivering such undiminished, provocative and irresistible new material in the studio. This writer has witnessed Costello’s incrementally returning power since his first post-treatment show at Riot Fest Chicago in 2018. Here’s wishing him a continued upward trajectory in the company of his exceptional bandmates while looking forward to more new material as cracking as the songs on The Boy Named If."

Odd to focus on so many songs Elvis did not play. Maybe the author is paid by the word? Nice that the "original Rusty musicians" get a mention alongside Elvis and Allan Mayes !

MOOT
annmte

Post by annmte »

sweetest punch wrote:Nick and Elvis performed together in Toronto!!
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 08_Toronto
Ah - there you go! Just what I hoped to see in Evanston. Would have been really great to hear "Indoor Fireworks" as well, love that song. Ah well.
verbal gymnastics wrote:He must have read this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure they both did. Elvis and Nick: I love you both! :wink: