Elvis & The Imposters, Anaheim, CA, City National Grove Of Anaheim , August 30th 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Anaheim, CA, City National Grove Of Anaheim , August 30th 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton play the City National Grove of Anaheim on Tuesday, August 30th, 2022.
Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets support.

The City National Grove of Anaheim is an indoor, live music venue in Anaheim, California. Its approximate capacity is 1,700.

The venue website previews the concert thus:

" Elvis Costello & The Imposters celebrate the release of their widely acclaimed new album, ‘The Boy Named If’, with summer tour titled "The Boy Named If & Other Favourites.” The first announced date is in Huber Heights, OH on August 6th and the tour closes in Las Vegas, NV on September 3rd. Costello will also return to Massey Hall, Toronto, visiting New York City, Wolf Trap, Denver, City National Grove of Anaheim, Aug. 30, and many other cities near you with more dates to be announced. Select cities will also include an opening set by Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, the first time since 1989 that the pair have toured together.

Costello and his band, The Imposters - Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher - will once again be joined on stage by Texas guitarist, Charlie Sexton, who also played the twenty-two date, "Hello Again" tour in October 2021, when six of the then unreleased songs, now heard on ‘The Boy Named If’, were performed for the very first time to incredible audience reactions. In the OC Register, Peter Larsen wrote that "over the course of 26 songs and nearly two-and-a-half hours, Elvis Costello and the Imposters delivered a terrific night that time-traveled across Costello’s songbook, past, present, and future.”

The Imposters have been Costello's bandmates for the last twenty years or as Costello put it recently, "Pete Thomas, Steve Nieve and I have been spinning around like your favorite 45rpm for forty-five years and let's be clear, Davey Faragher isn't anyone's deputy. The Attractions could have no more made ‘The Boy Named If’ than we have any desire to time travel back to the 1970s. This is happening right now in 2022, we are coming at you, big as life and twice as ugly."

A few tickets remain available. Who's going?

MOOT
clowntimeisover

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Anaheim, CA, City National Grove Of Anaheim , August 30th 2022

Post by clowntimeisover »

I'll be there! Hope we get some Nick Lowe guest spots.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Anaheim, CA, City National Grove Of Anaheim , August 30th 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Who’s going?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

01. Heart Of The City
02. Green Shirt
03. Hetty O'Hara Confidential - including 36-22-36
04. American Gangster Time
05. Watching The Detectives - including Invisible Lady and Gimme That Wine
06. Either Side Of The Same Town / The Dark End Of The Street
07. Everyday I Write The Book
08. Farewell, OK
09. The Boy Named If
10. Big Stars Have Tumbled
11. Almost Blue
12. Penelope Halfpenny
13. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
14. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
15. Magnificent Hurt
16. Pump It Up
17. Indoor Fireworks - with Nick Lowe
18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Nick Lowe
19. Alison - with Nick Lowe

Best version of "Indoor Fireworks" I've ever heard.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Glad you got the triple Nick Lowe appearance ANCT...and the two fairly varied sets for a well deserved contributor. 8) 8)
Last edited by bronxapostle on Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great stuff. Was Dark End of the Street a full version?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

verbal gymnastics wrote:Was Dark End of the Street a full version?
Two verses and a bridge but no third verse.
clowntimeisover

Was an interesting show! I don't know what it is, but I don't jive well with the OC crowd. Last time in Anaheim back in 2018, some drunk older lady smacked her jewelry loaded wrist down on my girlfriend's head, which was quite painful according to her.

Then this time a woman concertgoer came up to us and singled us out by asking "Are you sure you have the right ticket to be in this line?" in a condescending tone. Mind you, this is AFTER the security announced that the line was for Tier 1 ticket holders. So I simply replied "Yes, I know exactly where I need to be."

Maybe it is the two of us being being browner and younger than the usual EC demographic? Maybe we looked a little too poor? It kinda soured my initial feelings, but I tried not to get too worked up about it, since it isn't EC's fault by any means. It's probably the OC since these feelings never come up when I catch him in LA or any other city. What can you do? :roll:

Regardless, the sets were good. I have to say, I almost felt like Nick Lowe stole the show. There were certainly moments where I felt the crowd went wild for him, and he even commented at one point about being surprised at the reception he was receiving. It was great and he seemed to really enjoy himself, which clearly was contagious to the crowd.

Having seen EC a number of times now, and this being my second time with this particular five piece lineup, I felt it was just average oddly enough. Last year he seemed a bit more energized by the Boy Named If material, more hungry to play due to the pandemic and all that. I kinda felt there was a spark missing from the overall performances, the fast songs being a bit too slow ("American Gangster Time" seemed to be played at 3/4 of its normal speed), the crowd not really following along with the cues EC was giving out, not too much banter between songs, etc.

It felt very professional but reserved, nothing bad but nothing spectacular. EC was in good voice form though, and the sound mix was better than usual (the bass not being overly pronounced). I do wish he'd let Charlie Sexton solo on his own though, since it seemed like any time he was cued in for one, EC also had to solo with him lol... but I know this is EC's show and he's the leader.

The main highlights were the ballads and the slow numbers because of this kinda stuffy atmosphere, it was great to hear a full band "Almost Blue" and I really, really liked "Big Stars Have Tumbled". When's EC just going to release a record of the FITC songs?! Maybe someday the fabled musical finally happens...

Of course, everyone perked up when we got the NL duets. And those last three songs were no doubt the highest of the highlights. I don't even think we were supposed to get a third song, since NL was already taking off his guitar until EC signalled him to join in for the last number. Great, great stuff and it felt like a very fortunate privilege to see these two great musical partners to play once again in 2022! Who knows if we'll get more chances?

I almost want to drop a gig I have to play to catch him out at Highland, but I doubt it'll happen. Anyways, it was a good gig, mainly elevated by its special guests and circumstances.

A bit of speculation: this show and tour has a strange air of finality for me. With the Rusty material and Nick Lowe joining in, I feel EC might be taking a break from standard Imposters touring stuff for a bit. With the KoA show coming up and his 10-day residency, I wonder if he's switching gears to do more solo and more collaborative work/shows. Something similar to his activity before the Look Now-era comeback. I'm probably 100% wrong but it felt like to me from this show that EC is ready for a change in the system. But I've been wrong before.
clowntimeisover

Also, random thing, but I'm pretty certain that EC sang a bit of "Isabelle in Tears" during Watching the Detectives.

The "She says, "That's a good idea" as she pours herself a shot" section.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Terrific review. Thanks.

I’ve also wondered where Elvis is heading. There’s certainly a couple of different projects that we know about as well as some recorded material.

Elvis has been singing Isabelle in Tears during Detectives do I doubt your ears deceived you.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

clowntimeisover wrote:I have to say, I almost felt like Nick Lowe stole the show. There were certainly moments where I felt the crowd went wild for him, and he even commented at one point about being surprised at the reception he was receiving.
That was interesting! He played "Cruel to Be Kind," the crowd cheered... and then the crowd cheered again, louder this time. I wasn't totally sure what caused that reaction.

I appreciated the symmetry of Nick opening his set with "So It Goes" and Elvis opening his set with its flip side, "Heart of the City."
I really, really liked "Big Stars Have Tumbled". When's EC just going to release a record of the FITC songs?!
Agree on "Big Stars Have Tumbled." I'd love to hear more A Face in the Crowd songs with the Imposters.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

clowntimeisover wrote:Was an interesting show! I don't know what it is, but I don't jive well with the OC crowd. Last time in Anaheim back in 2018, some drunk older lady smacked her jewelry loaded wrist down on my girlfriend's head, which was quite painful according to her.

Then this time a woman concertgoer came up to us and singled us out by asking "Are you sure you have the right ticket to be in this line?" in a condescending tone. Mind you, this is AFTER the security announced that the line was for Tier 1 ticket holders. So I simply replied "Yes, I know exactly where I need to be."

Maybe it is the two of us being being browner and younger than the usual EC demographic? Maybe we looked a little too poor? It kinda soured my initial feelings, but I tried not to get too worked up about it, since it isn't EC's fault by any means. It's probably the OC since these feelings never come up when I catch him in LA or any other city. What can you do?
Bummer about the OC crowd. So many white people. Same could be said of the Saratoga crowd. Heavy suburban vibe. You don’t see these folk at city shows so much. Happy to hear you were able to enjoy the show.
clowntimeisover

verbal gymnastics wrote:Terrific review. Thanks.
I’ve also wondered where Elvis is heading. There’s certainly a couple of different projects that we know about as well as some recorded material.
Ha, it seems I was a bit wrong in my prediction already since he's playing in Australia with the Imposters next year! I think it's a great time to be an EC fan since he's moving between these new adventures seamlessly.
And No Coffee Table wrote: That was interesting! He played "Cruel to Be Kind," the crowd cheered... and then the crowd cheered again, louder this time. I wasn't totally sure what caused that reaction.

I appreciated the symmetry of Nick opening his set with "So It Goes" and Elvis opening his set with its flip side, "Heart of the City."
Maybe sometimes you just have to play a familiar hit with some vigor and that's all it takes? It seems like a song the crowd knows but hasn't thought about in a while. Something like "Absolute Beginners" by Bowie, you know the song but you haven't heard it in a while and remember how much you like it. I dunno, might be assuming too much haha.

I didn't realize the symmetry there, that's super cool!
MOJO wrote: Bummer about the OC crowd. So many white people. Same could be said of the Saratoga crowd. Heavy suburban vibe. You don’t see these folk at city shows so much. Happy to hear you were able to enjoy the show.
Haha! I have no problem with white people, or an abundance of them being around me or vice versa. Hell, all my co-workers are white sans those I supervise. I realize that the wealthier suburban crowds in areas like these will have their share of people that are disconnected from my perceived reality though, or perhaps live in a reality that my demographic or attitude is not a part of. It's fine, you can be an outsider in any majority racial demographic, it just happened to be white folks this time around.

Also, I realize that I am fortunate enough to afford to go to concerts like these in cool, nicely maintained venues on a weekday. So I take back what I said about seeming to look "poor". It's a hypocritical thing to say. Maybe we just seemed unusual, haha. I was a bit annoyed but at the end of the day it didn't ruin the concert, and it just makes me feel more fortunate to be a fan able to see his favorite artists! :)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2022/music/concert- ... -Dpo6uR_xE

Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe Make for Dream Team at Orange County Tour Stop: Concert Review
By Chris Willman

Nick Lowe and Shakespeare were wrong, about having to be cruel to be kind. A tour stop Tuesday in Anaheim that had Lowe supporting headliner Elvis Costello as an opening act before eventually joining him for three climactic duets was kindly and 100% cruelty-free, reuniting the two former studio workmates in a fashion that made it seem as if no 40-year intervals had passed at all, except for the incidental actually-getting-better factors. (You’re not getting older, you’re getting Basher, etc.)

Not that the show at the City National Grove of Anaheim — one of several SoCal appearances this week by Costello, with and without Lowe in tow — needed its crowning dream-teaminess to come up aces. Costello’s current sets with the Imposters represent the best example rock ‘n’ roll has at the moment of a vast catalog of classic material played with improvisational vigor by one of the great bands the medium has known, augmented by fresh material that can stand proudly alongside the vintage. “Indoor Fireworks” was one of the quieter songs performed Tuesday, but it’s an apt description of what’s occurring on this can’t-miss outing (with apologies to the shed stops where the group pyro happens outdoors).

Nothing has been guaranteed on this tour — certainly nothing as jejune as a standard nightly setlist for Costello, who, in 19- or 20-song sets, has been doing about eight or nine songs different each night from the show before. He’s even been calling extra audibles in the form of songs making their tour premiere as the outing nears its end, like a jet burning off extra fuel just before landing. Lowe had generally stuck around to sing a little in Costello’s set early in the tour, then had favored early trips back to the hotel, apparently, as it went along. But there was something about Anaheim — maybe it was the urge to have competitive firepower with the major league ballgame happening across the parking lot — that made Lowe want to leave the bus running while he joined Elvis for a full three numbers: “Indoor Fireworks” (written by EC, covered by Lowe), “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” (written by Lowe, covered by Costello) and, most surprisingly, “Alison.”

On that last ballad, the guest singer offered far different phrasing than Costello’s traditional reading, taking out the faint sense of vituperation and, in his gentler tones, sounding as if he fully emphasized with why the heroine put up with having her hands shmushed into a cake. It wouldn’t be like him to be bitter about a bride he knew when she used to rock ‘n’ roll (to quote another wedding song that figured into his opening set).

Lowe’s set was not unpredictable or turn-on-a-dime like the headliner’s, although the band that has backed him for years on his infrequent tour outings, Los Straitjackets, does mix things up in a nightly two-song interlude while Lowe takes a break from the stage. (In Anaheim, the all-instrumentals group played the theme from “The Magnificent Seven” in place of the cover of “My Heart Will Go On” they alternate in and out.) Los Straitjackets still keep up the wrestling-mask gambit, which is understandable; it must be a burden for a former surf-rock group to walk the streets, recognized and mobbed. Anyway, theirs remains a pairing that keeps on working over the years, as Lowe has a world-class pickup band at the ready when he needs one, and one that can veer between his power-pop and country-rock sides with no sign of stretching.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.