Elvis & The Imposters, Massey Hall, Toronto, ON, Canada August 8th, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Massey Hall, Toronto, ON, Canada August 8th, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters, with Charlie Sexton play Massey Hall in Toronto as part of their North American Tour on Monday 8 August.

Nick Lowe will be supporting. This is Elvis' first appearance at Massey Hall since 2014.

The venue website previews the event thus:

"Elvis Costello & The Imposters celebrate the release of their widely acclaimed new album, The Boy Named If with summer tour titled "The Boy Named If & Other Favourites.” The first announced date is in Huber Heights, OH on August 6th and the tour closes in Las Vegas, NV on September 3rd. Costello will also return to Massey Hall, Toronto, visiting New York City, Wolf Trap, Denver, Anaheim and many other cities near you with more dates to be announced. Select cities will also include an opening set by Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, the first time since 1989 that the pair have toured together.

Costello and his band, The Imposters - Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher - will once again be joined on stage by Texas guitarist, Charlie Sexton, who also played the twenty-two date, "Hello Again" tour in October 2021, when six of the then unreleased songs, now heard on ‘The Boy Named If’, were performed for the very first time to incredible audience reactions. In the OC Register, Peter Larsen wrote that "over the course of 26 songs and nearly two-and-a-half hours, Elvis Costello and the Imposters delivered a terrific night that time-traveled across Costello’s songbook, past, present, and future.”

The Imposters have been Costello's bandmates for the last twenty years or as Costello put it recently, "Pete Thomas, Steve Nieve and I have been spinning around like your favorite 45rpm for forty-five years and let's be clear, Davey Faragher isn't anyone's deputy. The Attractions could have no more made ‘The Boy Named If’ than we have any desire to time travel back to the 1970s. This is happening right now in 2022, we are coming at you, big as life and twice as ugly." "

The concert is nearly sold out, but a few tickets are available at a range of prices.

Who's going?

MOOT
Offshoreram

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Massey Hall, Toronto, ON, Canada August 8th, 2022

Post by Offshoreram »

Me!

Busy weekend planned rounded off with a trip to Niagra Falls. Never been to Canada before and really looking forward to the whole trip :D
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

I have a single front orchestra ticket that i am not using for Massey Hall -- 3rd Row, center aisle

Please let me know if interested

Thanks
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 08_Toronto

01. Accidents Will Happen
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. Mystery Dance
06. Watching The Detectives - including Invisible Lady
07. I'll Wear It Proudly - with Nicole Atkins
08. My Most Beautiful Mistake - with Nicole Atkins
09. Still Too Soon To Know - with Nicole Atkins
10. Just About Glad - with Nicole Atkins
11. Tipsy Woman
12. Penelope Halfpenny
13. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
14. The Comedians
15. The Man You Love To Hate
16. Indoor Fireworks - with Nick Lowe
17. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Nick Lowe
18. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
19. Pump It Up
20. Magnificent Hurt
21. Alison
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

So Nicole sang with Elvis, without being the support act?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

She’s probably travelling with them.

I’m hoping Nicole and Nick join Elvis for a song along the way. It’ll probably be PLU (the song that Elvis will introduce as a song Nick wrote and he stole :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Did the two songs with Nick involve The Imposters or were they simple duets? If it’s the latter did The Imposters leave the stage when they were played?

These things matter!
verbal gymnastics

My most beautiful mistake https://youtu.be/q4M5fP3KmKo
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

At Pearson Airport heading home after a brilliant long weekend in Toronto..

Obviously the highlight was the Elvis gig. I saw three dates on the UK leg and this was easily better than any of them. As much as enjoyed Ian Prowse opening, Nick is another level.

I was in the end seat, front row of the balcony so basically side of the stage. It also meant I was slightly behind the PA so the vocals appeared well down in the mix. This only really effected the talking parts. Basically I was next to but higher than the stage mixing desk.

Nick started with So It Goes and it was perfect. I was surprised he took his usual mid set break and left the band to it for two songs. Steve, Pete and Davy appeared side stage during So It Goes and stayed for the whole set. Davy left at Nicks break but Steve and Pete didn’t go until Nick finished.

Elvis started with the usual for this tour but I think the audience lifted things. It wasn’t everyone up dancing but there was more reaction and energy than the UK dates I went to.
I wasn’t expecting Nicole Atkins to join him on stage but that was a treat. Of the course the biggest treat was when Nick joined for Indoor Fireworks and PLU. The look on both their faces showed how happy they were on stage together. Nick also seemed to a bit of friendly interaction with Charlie.

Then it was the usual run out and finishing with Alison which had the obvious Olivia Newton John tribute refrain ‘Hopelessly Devoted to You’.

Elvis obviously left the stage and jumped straight into a car as those hanging by the stage door afterwards were told literally’Elvis has left the building’.

As for the weekend, I arrived Saturday afternoon, straight to the Massey Hall to see Fleet Foxes. Luckily my hotel was across the street. Saturday afternoon I made a pilgrimage to the El Mocombo. There was nothing on this weekend but I thought it was a bar and hoped to get a drink and see inside. But to no avail. So then down to the waterfront Budweiser stage to see Santana and Earth Wind & Fire. A good fun show it was too. I spent today at Niagra Falls before heading to catch the overnight flight. I would love to do it again!
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
verbal gymnastics

Alison with Hopelessly devoted to you.

https://youtu.be/GF3BcDGdC-4
verbal gymnastics

Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

verbal gymnastics wrote:PLU

https://youtu.be/VymAYRtDo3U
Great to see Nick doing the spoken word bit!
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?