Elvis & The Imposters, Meijer Gardens, Grand Rapids, MI, August 4th, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Meijer Gardens, Grand Rapids, MI, August 4th, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

The North American leg of Elvis & The Imposters' 2022 tour kicks off in Meijer Gardens, Grand Rapids, MI on Thursday August 4th. Charlie Sexton will be playing with them, as he did for the European leg of the tour in June and July.

For this show Nicole Atkins will be the support and maybe join Elvis and the band for a song or two. "My Most Beautiful Mistake" has yet to be played live, and maybe Elvis has been waiting for Nicole to be available before playing it. Time will tell.

Doors open at 5:15 PM, with the show starting at 6:30 PM. Seating for this outdoor venue is General Admission.

Tickets are still available here for $104.

Who's going?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Meijer Gardens, Grand Rapids, MI, August 4th, 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Who’s going?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... and_Rapids

01. Accidents Will Happen
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. The Death Of Magic Thinking
06. Watching The Detectives - including Invisible Lady
07. Just About Glad
08. My Most Beautiful Mistake - with Nicole Atkins
09. Still Too Soon To Know - with Nicole Atkins
10. I'll Wear It Proudly - with Nicole Atkins
11. You Belong To Me - with Nicole Atkins
12. Penelope Halfpenny
13. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
14. The Man You Love To Hate
15. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
16. Magnificent Hurt
17. Pump It Up
18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
19. Radio, Radio - first verse sung in Spanish
20. Alison

a bit of "My Most Beautiful Mistake":
https://twitter.com/sproutsfan/status/1 ... 2044700672
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://localspins.com/elvis-costello-l ... cal-spins/

Elvis Costello launches U.S. tour with clever, ever-entertaining aplomb in Grand Rapids

The legendary rocker and his band, The Imposters, unleashed music from Costello’s latest album plus choice gems from his hefty catalog at a sold-out Meijer Gardens.

The enduring brilliance of Elvis Costello’s remarkable songwriting extends well beyond clever gems such as “Accidents Will Happen,” “Watching the Detectives,” “Green Shirt” and “Alison” — all of which he performed Thursday night with The Imposters as part of his sold-out U.S. tour kickoff at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park.

There’s “The Death of Magic Thinking” from his latest studio album, “The Boy Named If,” with the confessional lines, “I can’t stand on my head, I can’t let go my tears, I can’t control my anger, I can’t admit my fears.”

Or take 2021’s “Magnificent Hurt” with the lyrics, “The pain that I felt let me know I’m alive, and I opened my heart to the way you make me feel, magnificent hurt.”

Of course, the singer’s rip-smart cohorts — keyboardist Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher — pulled these off on Thursday with passionate aplomb, even getting a vocal boost from opening act Nicole Atkins, who joined in on “My Most Beautiful Mistake,” “Still Too Soon to Know,” “I’ll Wear It Proudly” and “You Belong To Me.”

For an hour and 45 minutes, Costello expertly weaved his way through a career’s worth of material, touching on various highlights, ranging from “Just About Glad” from 1994’s “Brutal Youth” to “Hetty O’Hara Confidential” from 2020’s “Hey Clockface,” along with selections from his newest project.

Even at 67, Costello oozes an insurgent sort of youthful vibe with his music, all while maintaining an affable, waggish demeanor that endears him to his audience (telling tales like playing with his first band at Catholic girls’ schools where “they paid us precisely nothing”) while delivering his smart lyrics in that distinctive, spiky voice.

Naturally, nothing endeared him to fans more than unleashing some of his oldest and most revered gems, including an extended rendition of “Watching the Detectives” that featured a captivating spoken-word segment and Nieve’s typically splendid keyboard work.

Singer-songwriter and New Jersey native Nicole Atkins opened Thursday’s show with a fetching Americana vibe that morphed into a rock-propelled salvo, before later joining Costello and The Imposters for several mid-set songs.

(Atkins’ fetching set aside, some fans likely would be disappointed to know that longtime Costello associate and rock icon Nick Lowe, along with surf-rock’s Los Straitjackets, are opening tonight’s show in Evanston, Ill., along with most stops on the U.S. tour, but were not part of Thursday’s lineup in Grand Rapids.)

To wrap things up, Costello hit all the right nostalgic notes and brought the capacity crowd to its feet with a four-song treat: “Pump It Up,” “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” “Radio Radio” and “Alison.”

Thursday’s show may have boasted the highest ticket price of the 2022 Meijer Gardens series, but even without Nick Lowe on the bill, it rolled out as a real bargain when factoring in the priceless words and inventive musical twists from a fabled artist.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Ryan Dillon published in Glide Magazine on August 5, 2022:

"Elvis Costello Kicks Off ‘The Boy Named If & Other Favorites’ Summer Tour In Grand Rapids

The fact Elvis Costello is still putting out music after neatly six decades removed from his debut is impressive enough. For the London-breed singer/songwriter to then embark on a tour in support of that record cements Costello as one of the hardest working musicians today. Costello is bringing his band The Imposters across the country on their The Boy Named If & Other Favorites tour, in support of their 2022 album of the same name. They kicked the tour off last night (August 4) in Grand Rapids, Michigan at the Frederik Meijer Gardens Amphitheater.

Costello started his career as the poster child of the newly formed Stiff Records back in the 70s. His debut album from 1977, My Aim Is True, had success in his home country of England and was one of the few Stiff Records releases that translated over to the states. He has released countless records, starting with his band The Attractions shortly after his solo debut, and in 1994 he switched his backing band up and started releasing albums as Elvis Costello & The Imposters.

Costello and The Imposters ran through a 21-song setlist that spanned Costello’s storied discography. They plucked songs from his solo material along with songs from the frontman’s time with The Attractions, performing hits like “Alison” and “Accidents Will Happen”. The band really seemed to lean into the “& Other Favorites” part of the tour, only performing seven songs from The Imposters’ discography.

About halfway through the night, Costello was joined by New Jersey rockstar Nicole Atkins for a string of four songs. Atkins first joined the band during their performance of “My Most Beautiful Mistake” and assisted The Imposters during “Still Too Soon To Know”, “I’ll Wear It Proudly”, and “You Belong To Me”.

Costello and The Imposters are hitting most of North America on this tour. Their next stop will be in Illinois before heading north for spots in Ohio, Canada, and New York.

Check out the full setlist, tour dates, and footage from last night’s show below:

Dates: https://tour.elviscostello.com "

There are some photos taken from other sites on the Glide webpage, as well as one from the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, in May this year.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://localspins.com/local-spins-top- ... eakfast/[b]

Local Spins’ Top 10 Summer Concerts of 2022: From Elvis Costello to Japanese Breakfast[/b]
Based on reader traffic for our concert reviews, Local Spins presents a fun Top 10 of this summer’s shows. Plus check out the editor’s picks and fan comments on other favorites of the season.

THE TOP 10 CONCERTS OF SUMMER 2022: The Local Spins List

1. Elvis Costello & The Imposters with Nicole Atkins, Meijer Gardens, Aug. 4 – Likely buoyed by the fact that this earned national media attention as the first date on Costello’s U.S. tour — and that he himself tweeted a line from the Local Spins review on his Twitter feed — our review proclaimed: “Even at 67, Costello oozes an insurgent sort of youthful vibe with his music, all while maintaining an affable, waggish demeanor that endears him to his audience … and while delivering his smart lyrics in that distinctive, spiky voice.” It was an entertaining, career-spanning evening to be sure and earned four times as many reads as the No. 2 show on the summer list. Read the full review here:
https://localspins.com/elvis-costello-l ... cal-spins/