Elvis & The Imposters, Regent Theatre, Ipswich, June 22, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Regent Theatre, Ipswich, June 22, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis returns to the Regent Theatre in Ipswich for the penultimate date of the 2022 UK Tour. This will be the fifth time Elvis has played this venue, but the first since 1999 when he and Steve Nieve appeared there on the Lonely World Tour.

Writing in the East Anglian Daily Times on 8 December 2021, Suzanne Day previewed the concert thus:

" Elvis Costello heading to the Ipswich Regent

Grammy Award winning singer Elvis Costello has announced he will be stopping off in Ipswich as part of his 2022 UK Tour.

Costello, loved for his hits including 'Oliver's Army', will be performing with the Imposters at the Ipswich Regent on Wednesday, June 22, 2022.

The singer-songwriter shot to fame in the 70s and found success in America. His tour will start in Brighton in June 2022 and finish in London later that month.

The show at the Regent will be opened by Ian Prowse, who will be performing songs from his upcoming album 'One hand on the Starry Plough'.

Tickets for the Elvis Costello and the Imposters concert will go on sale at 10am on Friday, December 10, they will be available on the Ipswich Theatres website - http://www.ipswichtheatres.co.uk.

Other shows lined up at the Regent in 2022 include Ru Paul's Drag Race, Joe McElderry's George Michael show and an Anastasia concert."
2022-06-22 Ipswich Poster
2022-06-22 Ipswich Poster
2022-06-XX Ipswich poster 01.jpeg (115.66 KiB) Viewed 8821 times
Who's going?

MOOT
FrankieJ

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Regent Theatre, Ipswich, June 22, 2022

Post by FrankieJ »

Just a warning to all those taking the trains: there’s a National train strike on 21, 23 and 25th June and a tube strike on 21st. I might not be able to go. £180 or so on ticket and hotel down the drain.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

We will be there - easy decision to drive now!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Is anyone on here staying at a hotel on the quayside? Wondered if we could “she said she can’t go home without a chaperone” together so no accidents will happen! Not fond of the idea of walking through the streets on my own at 11pm.
Fishfinger king

Presumably this is actually happening? Anyone had any news?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

EC’s tour management confirms on Facebook that this is going ahead!!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Fishfinger king

Excellent - thanks!!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Great international gang of us staying at the Novotel and a stunning show. Started off much as the others but Elvis mentioned the birthdays of McCartney , saying he’d played Let Me Roll It and also sent a message to him, that it was also Brian Wilson’s birthday but that his songs “ had too many chords “ for Elvis to play and then he launched into April 5th for Kris Kristofferson! After Alison we also got what appears to be a
completely off the cuff “Sweet Dreams” and Man Out Of Time made its first appearance of the tour!
Man out of Time

Setlist from tonight's show in Ipswich. The Return of Powerful Pierre....

01. Accidents Will Happen
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential - Davey on double bass
05. The Death Of Magic Thinking
06. Watching The Detectives - including Invisible Lady and lines from One More Cup Of Coffee and Senior Service
07. Big Stars Have Tumbled- Davey on double bass
08. Mystery Dance
09. Maybe Just This Once - the "B" side of an obscure single on the Justice Label (from Texas) unearthed in Defend Vinyl in Liverpool (allegedly)
10. Penelope Halfpenny
11. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
12. Man Out Of Time
13. April 5th - for Kris Kristofferson's birthday
14. Good Year For The Roses
15. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
16. Magnificent Hurt
17. Pump It Up
18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
19. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
20. Alison
21. Sweet Dreams
22. Farewell, OK

MOOT
Fishfinger king

The audience reception in Ipswich was the best I’ve seen on this tour so far. People dancing from early on and good to see that the stewards let them and made minimal interventions. Contributed to a great atmosphere and Elvis seemed to enjoy it a lot. He even somewhat tempered the expected Norwich jokes! Great to hear April 5th live for the first time. Here’s hoping something similar for London for the tour’s last night tonight!
Psc

Post by Psc »

Sounds like a brilliant night, would have loved to hear Man Out Of Time in Bath! Wish I was going to Hammersmith tonight... :wink:
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:Great international gang of us staying at the Novotel and a stunning show. Started off much as the others but Elvis mentioned the birthdays of McCartney , saying he’d played Let Me Roll It and also sent a message to him, that it was also Brian Wilson’s birthday but that his songs “ had too many chords “ for Elvis to play and then he launched into April 5th for Kris Kristofferson! After Alison we also got what appears to be a
completely off the cuff “Sweet Dreams” and Man Out Of Time made its first appearance of the tour!
You forgot to mention the great sing-along version of Good year for the roses.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

krm wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Great international gang of us staying at the Novotel and a stunning show. Started off much as the others but Elvis mentioned the birthdays of McCartney , saying he’d played Let Me Roll It and also sent a message to him, that it was also Brian Wilson’s birthday but that his songs “ had too many chords “ for Elvis to play and then he launched into April 5th for Kris Kristofferson! After Alison we also got what appears to be a
You forgot to mention the great sing-along version of Good year for the roses.

Yeah, that was great! I pity anyone who was trying to secretly record the gig ! :wink:
Mr. Hush

Post by Mr. Hush »

The Ipswich show was really great. What surprised me most was the quality of Elvis’s voice. Best I’ve heard him for many years. And his guitar playing was fantastic as well. Surely very underrated. My partner came along - by no means a fan - but was really impressed as well. Not being ageist but I’m not sure how he has that sort of energy and sharpness. The highlight for me was “Man Out of Time” and I’d admit to a slight choke at that point. I would have gone for that song alone to be honest. The only slight downside for me was the sound now and then. The vocal was a bit low sometimes and where I was sitting (pretty central in the stalls) what I think was the bass drum seemed too loud and drowned him out a bit. But I guess that’s just taste and age and very picky. Overall a fabulous performance.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Dang. April 5th. Love that tune.
Man out of Time

Belatedly came across the review by Stephen Foster published on July 28 at Ipswichtheatres.co.uk:

"Review – Elvis Costello & The Imposters on 22nd June 2022
On at the Regent Theatre

It’s the morning after the night before and I’m still dazed after a rollercoaster ride watching a revitalised Elvis Costello ripping up the rule book and giving many of his most popular songs a total overhaul. I’ll be honest, it wasn’t the best of starts and I was bracing myself for a long night. As it happened it was a late one but thankfully enough of those early rough spots had been ironed out by the time the 130 minute show came to an end.

Quite frankly Costello’s voice was all over the place on the opener Accidents Will Happen and the next track Green Shirt. The sound was a bit of a mess too but it did improve as did Costello’s vocals. It was an extended version of his first hit Watching The Detectives that marked a significant gear change with Costello’s magnificent band The Imposters laying down an incredible groove, allowing the star of the show to take the song wherever his fancy took him.

Costello’s spikey guitar work was prominent throughout the show. In the old days – his first Ipswich show in 1978 referenced a few times by the man during the show – Steve Nieve’s keyboards were to the fore but not so much these days. The decision to bring in Texan guitarist Charlie Sexton into the band for this tour was a masterstroke. A cool looking character with a guitar collection to match, Sexton exuded swagger and confidence without ever raining on Costello’s parade. Sexton is one of Bob Dylan’s guitarists of choice – enough said.

Costello is quite the raconteur when he puts his mind to it. Thankfully he was in a chatty mood taking in his Twitter spat with Rod Stewart, telling us how much he misses the Little Chef on the A11 (yeah, right) and name-dropping Lowestoft – as you do.

It was an opportunity to plug the latest album of course with several songs from The Boy Named If taking pride of place in the set. That CD is Costello’s best for quite some time but inevitably it was the old stuff that fuelled the show.

Driven by the immaculate drumming of Pete Thomas and brilliant bass playing of Davey Faragher the audience lapped up a long version of (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea and the frantic Pump It Up. Most acts would have left it there but not Costello. He slowed it right down with Don Gibson’s country classic Sweet Dreams and a classic of his own – Alison.

Anybody expecting carbon copies of his greatest hits might have exited the auditorium feeling short changed. The rest of us left the place happy in the knowledge that he remains a force to reckoned with. He took no prisoners!"

MOOT