Elvis & The Imposters, Guildhall, Portsmouth, June 19, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Guildhall, Portsmouth, June 19, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

The Boy Named If & Other Favourites Tour reaches the Guildhall in Portsmouth on Sunday June 19, 2022. It is nearly 28 years since Elvis and the Attractions last played the Guildhall. Elvis remarked last night (from the stage in Bexhill) that he "loves Portsmouth", but five concerts there in 44 years might suggest otherwise.

Tickets have sold pretty well for this show, but are still available at all prices from the venue website.

Does anyone have any suggestions for local pubs/bars where it would be good to meet beforehand?

Who's going?

MOOT
krm

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Guildhall, Portsmouth, June 19, 2022

Post by krm »

I'll be there.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I am going
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Anyone know the stage times? Don't really want to see the support.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It seems to be

Ian Prowse 7.45 to 8.15
Elvis 8.45 to 11.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Psc

Post by Psc »

The support is genuinely worth seeing. He seemed to go down very well with the Elvis crowd in Bath. Worth seeing just for the keyboard solo! :D
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
Psc

Post by Psc »

Just read on FB Portsmouth and Swansea shows postponed. Pete Thomas is unwell....hope it’s not the dreaded C virus. :(
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Psc wrote:Just read on FB Portsmouth and Swansea shows postponed. Pete Thomas is unwell....hope it’s not the dreaded C virus. :(
Cards on the table, I hope it is the 'dreaded C virus'. The 'dreaded C virus' is not great, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. On the other hand, the fact that they've cancelled two shows only, and the explicit statement that it is hoped that Pete 'will return to the stage later this week' both strongly suggest the 'C virus' and its usually expected time-limitation. I wish Pete all the best and hope he is fully recovered as soon as possible. But I'm forced to say: any medical problem other than 'the C virus' which had caused him to drop out of two gigs at 24 hours' notice would be a much greater cause of concern and worry. :(
verbal gymnastics

True. I guess with the C virus isolation periods should hopefully make him possibly (although I think unlikely) OK for Wednesday but more likely fit for Thursday. I can’t see Elvis missing London given the emotion of the last gig there in 2020.

BUT this is only my reading and, as the song goes, I’ve been wrong before!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:True. I guess with the C virus isolation periods should hopefully make him possibly (although I think unlikely) OK for Wednesday but more likely fit for Thursday. I can’t see Elvis missing London given the emotion of the last gig there in 2020.

BUT this is only my reading and, as the song goes, I’ve been wrong before!
I wonder if the train strikes will also play a part in the decision to go ahead with the Hammersmith show or not. If my line is anything to go by the intention to run trains is from 7.30am until 5.30pm. I will try and struggle into work if the gig goes ahead and luckily I have a couple of options of places to stay after the show plus I have the day off Friday.
verbal gymnastics

I think it will. Even if Pete recovers he may not be 100%. Tactically it would make sense to postpone all 4 shows and rearrange. The train strike also gives them a good reason so that they are not playing to less than capacity venues (which may not have sold out).

I guess the shows would be covered for insurance as well if Pete is ill.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Article by Chris Broom from the Portsmouth News on 19 June, 2022, about the cancellation of this show.

" Elvis Costello and The Imposters postpone Portsmouth Guildhall gig due to drummer falling ill

Elvis Costello has pulled tonight’s gig at Portsmouth Guildhall due to a band member being ‘indisposed.’

The Liverpudlian singer-songwriter, responsible for hits such as Alison, Oliver’s Army and I Can’t Stand up For Falling Down, announced on social media he was postponing Sunday’s Portsmouth show and Monday’s in Swansea.

His current tour is in support of The Boy Named If, his first album to crack the top 10 since 1994’s Brutal Youth.

The Guildhall show was close to being sold out, but is expected to be rescheduled.

The statement said: ‘Unfortunately, Elvis Costello and The Imposters have to announce the postponement of their dates in Portsmouth and Swansea as Pete Thomas is indisposed.

‘We apologize to our friends in Pompey and Swansea and will look forward to seeing you all again when we can.

‘It is hoped that the greatest rock and roll drummer in the world will return to the stage later this week, as soon as he is recovered.

‘Stand by for action.’ "

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Apparently ticketholders are getting messages saying this is cancelled and being offered refunds etc.