Elvis & The Imposters, New Theatre, Oxford, June 16, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, New Theatre, Oxford, June 16, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

Following the cancellation of their concert due to take place at the New Theatre Oxford on March 15th 2020, Elvis and the Imposters plus Charlie Sexton will play there on Thursday June 16th 2022.

TIckets for the show are still available at the venue website for £55.40. Or if anyone fancies a better seat, I have a spare in row H that I am looking to sell - PM me if you're interested.

Who's going to be there?

MOOT
VonOfterdingen

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, New Theatre, Oxford, June 16, 2022

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I was going to, but sadly I have to abort mission. See below or please let me know, if someone have another idea of how to give these two tickets the best possible life.

----

Unfortunately I cannot attend the Elvis Costello concert at New Theatre Oxford on Thursday June 16.

The two tickets are Stalls, Row L (middle).

The original price was 90 £ each but send me a PM with an offer or let me know if you have heard of someone that could use/need an experience like this. I would hate to see the tickets go to waste.

Luckily I still get to see him in Copenhagen.

Best,
Søren
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

I’m looking forward to tonight.

I enjoyed the Brighton gig but it wasn’t fully satisfying. Not sure why.

Also important to me as it was about this time of day I received the email to say that night’s show in Oxford was cancelled as was the rest of the tour because of covid.

It’s been a long two years
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

Too bloody right Offshoreram, it’s been a while since New Theatre, Oxford 15/3/20 was scuttled…

Never got my money back from that particular debacle either. At least Elvis has released about a thousand hours of worthwhile records since then, so he’s been putting it to good use. And the studio stuff i’ll continue to queue for - whilst watching him play live is becoming more of a roulette, with some smashing sets and singing, and the odd not-so-thrilling encounter. But grateful that Elvis & The Imposters has stuck old Oxford on the itinerary.

Looking forward to seeing our Iffing boy turn in a cracker tonight!
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

A fantastic show. EC & the band, all dressed in black, were on stage at 2045 to pound through a clever set with a few surprises and numerous highlights. Elvis in fine voice and suitably chatty, both illuminating and silly. A sensible crowd, attentive throughout and generous with applause. No inappropriate bellowing or whooping, and singalongs (or skat-alongs) in the right places. Best band in the world were their usual selves, Davey’s upright bass used regularly and added a great swagger and depth to the sound. Charlie Sexton is superb in all he does and also provides a splendid foil to Elvis, who played brilliantly too, The occasional vocal chorus from all the group was most amusing, particularly on ‘Roses’. Worth going for that alone, oh, and ‘Mr Crescent’ which was amazing. Sound was clear and vivid downstairs, a touch muddled up in the balcony, but basically okay all round. Off at 2259, having played right through, with no encore nonsense. Great night, thanks. Oxford loves Elvis Costello & the Imposters.
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."
Psc

Post by Psc »

sounds brilliant, thanks for the review! Looking forward to Bath tonight.. :D
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Really enjoyed last night. To me, it was better than Brighton. The sound wasn’t perfect at times and occasionally it seemed Elvis was singing slightly off key but no real complaints about the performance and set list. The ‘newer’ songs sound fantastic live.

Now a few observations.
I bought my ticket on the balcony in the ‘artists presale’. The seat I got was the best available in the price range. Yesterday I checked the venue website and there were loads of seats available. The balcony was only about half full and the two seats to my right were empty. I moved to the more expensive seats for Elvis and there were plenty of empty seats around me.
Unfortunately the couple sitting two seats away were quite young (early 20s?) and spent most of the show either on social media or chatting. She in particular had no interest and kept showing her partner things on her phone. They left about half an hour before the end.
I would say around 20 to 30 others left the venue during the first hour. Obviously not hearing enough hits.
The average age of the audience was quite high and must have some of the weakest bladders around. Non stop trips to the toilet!
I was speaking to a chap in the interval and he was a big Dylan fan and only came to see Charlie Sexton.
On the way out I was behind a father and much younger son (son wearing an Elvis Tour tee shirt) and the father said to him ‘I’m sorry it wasn’t great but did you enjoy any of it?’.
Unfortunately the kid just shrugged so I’m not sure if he did.

I’m looking forward to Hammersmith!
Psc

Post by Psc »

It's weird isn't it, sometimes I look at some people at gigs and wonder why they bothered to show up when they look so disinterested. The tickets weren't exactly cheap! The tour is billed under "The Boy Named If" and not a greatest hits tour..
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
GCM

Post by GCM »

I wasn't at this show but was at Glasgow and Leicester. I understand that casual fans want to hear more of the big songs, but personally I've heard those ones many, many times before so was pleased at the diversity of songs used on this tour.
In any event, it's reassuring that my favourite artist is still being creative and wanting to do new things. At Leicester there were a couple of unrecorded songs and that brought back memories of the early days when Elvis would try out songs that hadn't yet been recorded - many of them now regarded as classics.
I understand the desire to hear the hits but it's more important that Elvis isn't just cranking out a set of old songs like so many of his era are reduced to nowadays.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

GCM wrote:I wasn't at this show but was at Glasgow and Leicester. I understand that casual fans want to hear more of the big songs, but personally I've heard those ones many, many times before so was pleased at the diversity of songs used on this tour.
In any event, it's reassuring that my favourite artist is still being creative and wanting to do new things. At Leicester there were a couple of unrecorded songs and that brought back memories of the early days when Elvis would try out songs that hadn't yet been recorded - many of them now regarded as classics.
I understand the desire to hear the hits but it's more important that Elvis isn't just cranking out a set of old songs like so many of his era are reduced to nowadays.

I’m probably repeating myself but Elvis seems to be in a league of one where other musicians of his era are concerned. Most of them will just appear playing hits to milk the nostalgia market but this year has started with Elvis releasing material of amongst the highest standards of anything he’s done. So he’s still if the mindset to go and play these gems lie. Unfortunately because of his age and longevity, Joe and Josephine Average assume it will be a hits package. The corncrake who spoiled my evening only sang along with songs before 1982 and fortunately shut up in the gems. What is interesting on this tour is how great some Clockface sings are live , No Flag, Newspaper Pane, We are All Cowards and Hetty O’Hara all sound terrific performed by the Imposters!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sulky lad wrote:
GCM wrote:I’m probably repeating myself but Elvis seems to be in a league of one where other musicians of his era are concerned. Most of them will just appear playing hits to milk the nostalgia market but this year has started with Elvis releasing material of amongst the highest standards of anything he’s done. So he’s still if the mindset to go and play these gems lie. Unfortunately because of his age and longevity, Joe and Josephine Average assume it will be a hits package. The corncrake who spoiled my evening only sang along with songs before 1982 and fortunately shut up in the gems. What is interesting on this tour is how great some Clockface sings are live , No Flag, Newspaper Pane, We are All Cowards and Hetty O’Hara all sound terrific performed by the Imposters!
I think all of the above is absolutely true, and I admire and respect Elvis for doing it. But I can see that Elvis has got to keep both sides of the audience happy if he wants to continue touring and make it financially viable. There's always going to be a Hawksmoor and a Sulky in the audience who really want to hear a brand-new song, a full-band performance of 'Dr Luther', or an acoustic version of 'Baby's Got a Brand-New Hairdo'. Equally there's always going to be a good percentage of the audience who vaguely remember Elvis from the early 1980s and have come for a nostalgic night out to hear the hits. And quite understandably, Elvis is professional enough - and savvy enough - to know that you've got to keep both of those crowds happy if you want to keep putting bums on seats, so that's exactly what he does.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

I'd say there's a THIRD side to the audience: People who couldn't care less about the four or five "must-plays" that they've heard a hundred times but who also don't need to hear more than two or three new things. For that crowd, it's the album cuts from the (roughly) 1977-2002 output that wind up being the show highlights. We each have our own personal list of these tracks -- and they're always a delightful treat when he plays them. Unfortunately, that category of songs is the one that usually gets squeezed to a minimum.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It’s hard to please a casual fan if you have a back catalogue of 600+ songs as well as ones not yet recorded and the odd one off cover version. It’s never going to be a nostalgia show.

This was a fantastic show and there’s not more to add that’s not already been said.

The barking bit in The Man You Love To Hate reminded me of a carnival barker. Davey and Charlie’s backing was superb on this, and it was good to see both their harmonies and interaction.

The crowd were up and dancing from Chelsea onwards.

Charlie has been a fantastic addition. I’m loving these shows.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I take your opinion to the bank VG. Looking forward to at least one show in August. Glad so many of you still have the strength to go road tripping and catch several. I need a local residency in order to see several. Old before my time I guess. please enjoy every show everyone!!!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

The main three artists I go to see Elvis, Weller and Morrissey play what they want.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:The main three artists I go to see Elvis, Weller and Morrissey play what they want.
Three of my top ten live acts/shows....Weller and Morrissey about 17 times each. I sure wish PAUL gets to the USA this year. Been nearly 5 years since I last saw him. :( :(
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/20228 ... w-theatre/

Review: Elvis Costello is back to entertain fans at Oxford's New Theatre

In March 2020 I was about to go and see Elvis Costello at the New Theatre and the call came through - the concert is cancelled.

Lockdown soon followed and we know the rest. So I was delighted to go along with a friend to the excellent George Street venue when the singer finally returned last week.

I’ve been listening to Elvis Costello ever since Armed Forces came out in 1979, and as he has such a vast back catalogue I was hoping to hear a good selection of old favourites.

The evening started well. Costello was backed by the Imposters, featuring his loyal acolytes Steve Nieve on keyboards and Pete Thomas on drums.

They launched the show with Accidents Will Happen - my favourite Costello song - then Green Shirt, another top tune from Armed Forces.

Either Side Of The Same Town, one of the best tracks from 2004’s The Delivery Man, followed.

But I was lulled into a false sense of security by such safe choices as what followed was a deep dive into two of Costello’s latest album releases Hey Clockface and The Boy Named If.

Costello as a recording artist is prolific - Hey Clockface was released in 2020 at the height of the pandemic, with The Boy Named If arriving the following year.

He also released a Spanish take on This Year’s Model and has just released an EP called The Resurrection of Rust, a collection of songs he recorded with one of his earliest collaborators Allan Mayes.

Costello seems in a good mood and launches into Hetty O’Hara Confidential from Hey Clockface, more of a rap than a song but it’s not long before we return to more familiar territory with Watching The Detectives.

But the audience is not allowed to take it easy - there’s a disturbing monologue half way through which I can’t keep up with, so I’m delighted to hear straightforward renditions of Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes and Mystery Dance, although there is no Radio Sweetheart.

Next up is a new song, Tipsy Woman, one of the evening’s highlights, along with Good Year For the Roses, which Steve Nieve adorns beautifully with some lovely piano fills.

Then Costello shares some more of his back story about how the family surname McManus led to them being mistakenly connected to Mick McManus, the well-known wrestler, and the singer draws inspiration from the confusion for The Man You Love To Hate, one of my favourite tracks from The Boy Named If.

After about two hours, we are on the home straight.

The singer launches into I Don’t Wanna Go To Chelsea, Pump It Up, (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding, and Alison, interspersed with a couple of more recent tunes.

It’s been a hugely enjoyable evening but you have to pay attention because the days of Costello’s spinning songbook hits shows are long behind him.

I’m left feeling educated and entertained but also slightly cheated. There was no Radio Radio, no New Amsterdam.

Did Costello play anything from his albums King of America, Blood and Chocolate, Spike, Brutal Youth, or All This Useless Beauty? I don’t think so.

Perhaps I’m one of the fans Costello ‘loves to hate’ as I can’t stop playing his old songs, while he has no choice but to move on and write new ones.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

bronxapostle wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:The main three artists I go to see Elvis, Weller and Morrissey play what they want.
Three of my top ten live acts/shows....Weller and Morrissey about 17 times each. I sure wish PAUL gets to the USA this year. Been nearly 5 years since I last saw him. :( :(
He's on the top of his game at the moment. My friend Ricky has become Weller's personal taxi driver. They have become really good friends
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
He's on the top of his game at the moment. My friend Ricky has become Weller's personal taxi driver. They have become really good friends
Weller really is on top of his game and a really nice bloke too.

I went to see Suggs solo show in Milton Keynes recently and Weller was in the audience. Afterwards I was getting in to my car and noticed Paul getting in to his car across from me (a black Mini Clubman) so I went over to him. We had a chat and I got a photo. I asked if he would sign I print I had if I brought it to his gig in Leicester that I was going to in a few weeks. He said bring it to the sound check and he’d sign it. So I duly went about 5pm. The band were observing covid restrictions so not stopping to sign things but one of crew came out and asked if anyone wanted anything signing. I said I had a print and he said is that from Milton Keynes? So obviously he hadn’t forgotten. The proviso for signing was only if you have a ticket for the show and all autographs had to be dedicated, obviously trying to stop people cashing in on it. I put my name on a post it and took away my print and some other stuff that others had.
About 20 minutes later he brought it back signed and said Paul didn’t want to dedicate it as it would lessen the value!

I’ve met him a few times over the years and always be very friendly and approachable. I’m going to see him again next month in Bedford.
Last edited by Offshoreram on Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great story.

Paul Weller is the hero I haven’t met yet.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Great story.

Paul Weller is the hero I haven’t met yet.
I got Bruce Foxton to sign it too a few weeks ago. It's on the wall next to my signed Good Year for the Roses and Nick Mason signed Another Brick in the Wall!