Elvis & The Imposters, Leicester De Montfort Hall, June 14, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Leicester De Montfort Hall, June 14, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

So The Boy Named If & Other Favourites Tour reaches Leicester on June 14th where Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton play De Montfort Hall. This is the only venue in Leicester Elvis has ever played (other than one night on the Stiffs Live Stiffs Tour) - and a fine space it is too.

TIckets for the show are still available at pretty much all prices (from £101.50 - £52.50) on the venue website.

Who is going to be there?

MOOT
Fishfinger king

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Leicester De Montfort Hall, June 14, 2022

Post by Fishfinger king »

I will be going.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Who’s going?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Setlist:-

1. Accidents Will Happen
2. Green Shirt
3. Either Side Of The Same Town
4. Hetty O’Hara Confidential- 36-22-36
5. The Death Of Magic Thinking
6. Watching The Detectives - Invisible Lady
7. The Difference
8. Big Stars Are Tumbling
9. Maybe Just This Once
10. (The Angels Wanna Wear My ) Red Shoes
11. Penelope Halfpenny
12. What If I Can’t Give You Anything But Love
13. Newspaper Pane
14. Good Year For The Roses
15. The Man You Love To Hate - Barking Song
16. The Comedians
17. (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
18. Magnificent Hurt
19. Pump It Up
20. (What’s So Funny’Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
21. Mr. And Mrs. Hush
22. Alison - Living A Little -Unknown
23. We Are All Cowards- Unknown

The band continue to grow in stature and confidence, with Davey’s bass playing liquid and smooth, Charlie playing all the right notes and phrases as exactly the right time, Steve embellishing as only a classically trained pianist with compositional skills could do and Pete looking calm and composed while surrounding himself with the tempest that his drumming creates and unleashes. I could probably do with a bit less of Elvis guitar heroics if I’m honest but it’s a minor quibble . We heard stories about Larry Wallis’ pet python and Pete’s white Strat with an embossed marijuana lead motif and how Elvis’ grandmother hated the English wrestler and “ The Man We Loved To Hate” Mick MacManus!
A
After Alison a little of John Hiatt’s Living A Lityle followed by repeated lines of “When you least expect it- Faith steps in” . Also extra words at the end of Invisible Lady and at the end of “We Are All Cowards Now” lines that ran Surrender To Love, Put Up Your Hands, Put Down Your ARms!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sulky lad wrote:Setlist:-

1. Accidents Will Happen
2. Green Shirt
3. Either Side Of The Same Town
4. Hetty O’Hara Confidential- 36-22-36
5. The Death Of Magic Thinking
6. Watching The Detectives - Invisible Lady
7. The Difference
8. Big Stars Are Tumbling
9. Maybe Just This Once
10. (The Angels Wanna Wear My ) Red Shoes
11. Penelope Halfpenny
12. What If I Can’t Give You Anything But Love
13. Newspaper Pane
14. Good Year For The Roses
15. The Man You Love To Hate - Barking Song
16. The Comedians
17. (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea
18. Magnificent Hurt
19. Pump It Up
20. (What’s So Funny’Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
21. Mr. And Mrs. Hush
22. Alison - Living A Little -Unknown
23. We Are All Cowards- Unknown

The band continue to grow in stature and confidence, with Davey’s bass playing liquid and smooth, Charlie playing all the right notes and phrases as exactly the right time, Steve embellishing as only a classically trained pianist with compositional skills could do and Pete looking calm and composed while surrounding himself with the tempest that his drumming creates and unleashes. I could probably do with a bit less of Elvis guitar heroics if I’m honest but it’s a minor quibble . We heard stories about Larry Wallis’ pet python and Pete’s white Strat with an embossed marijuana leaf motif and how Elvis’ grandmother hated the English wrestler and “ The Man We Loved To Hate” Mick MacManus!

After Alison a little of John Hiatt’s Living A Little followed by repeated lines of “When you least expect it- Faith steps in” . Also extra words at the end of Invisible Lady and at the end of “We Are All Cowards Now” lines that ran Surrender To Love, Put Up Your Hands, Put Down Your ARms!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sulky lad wrote:We heard stories about Larry Wallis’ pet python and Pete’s white Strat with an embossed marijuana lead motif and how Elvis’ grandmother hated the English wrestler and “ The Man We Loved To Hate” Mick MacManus!
My Mum was the same - used to cheer Big Daddy and boo Giant Haystacks. I tried to explain it to her ('you do know it's not sport, it's a rehearsed comedy routine, don't you Mum?') but she didn't get it, bless her.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

SULKY!!!

glad you are making the rounds. Enjoy every minute you and all my friends over yonder. However....I must demand more info of the BARKING SONG tagged at end of MAN LOVE HATE. :D thanks kindly, ba
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:SULKY!!!

glad you are making the rounds. Enjoy every minute you and all my friends over yonder. However....I must demand more info of the BARKING SONG tagged at end of MAN LOVE HATE. :D thanks kindly, ba
Hi Benny ,
Bern a really enjoyable tour so far though maybe not classic gigs - though I can’t put my finger on why not . Charlie adds a whole new dimension to the playing, his three chords up and down the neck during Chelsea being one of only thousands of lovely additions.
The Barking Sing- it’s a real poser and hopefully you’ll be able to hear it for yourself soon - I promise - but it starts with Davey bowing a riff on the double bass and then Elvis skat sings along with no words but “ruff ruffing” . I have a distant memory of the song being a sort of children’s comedy record from the late 50s heard on the radio on the BBC “Family Favourites” programme.
I can’t place it at all and internet searching doesn’t come up with anything. I’ll ask my brother, 6 years my senior and a musician with a huge range of musical knowledge to see if he can come up with anything !!
all the best my friend !
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote: The Barking Sing- it’s a real poser and hopefully you’ll be able to hear it for yourself soon - I promise - but it starts with Davey bowing a riff on the double bass and then Elvis skat sings along with no words but “ruff ruffing” . I have a distant memory of the song being a sort of children’s comedy record from the late 50s heard on the radio on the BBC “Family Favourites” programme.
[Without the obvious benefit of hearing EC's rendition] your description sounds like the epic "How Much is that Doggy in the Window?" lots of ruff ruffing on that!!!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Top balcony wrote:
sulky lad wrote: The Barking Sing- it’s a real poser and hopefully you’ll be able to hear it for yourself soon - I promise - but it starts with Davey bowing a riff on the double bass and then Elvis skat sings along with no words but “ruff ruffing” . I have a distant memory of the song being a sort of children’s comedy record from the late 50s heard on the radio on the BBC “Family Favourites” programme.
[Without the obvious benefit of hearing EC's rendition] your description sounds like the epic "How Much is that Doggy in the Window?" lots of ruff ruffing on that!!!
Yes - been wracking my brains and I think Top Balcony has it!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Sounds interesting. And I thought PRINCE 1986 MSG would be the only one I ever see do that song!!! Lol
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

:oops: :oops: l
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Top balcony wrote:

Sorry but I don’t think it’s “how much is that doggy”. I’m sure it’s either a kiddies novelty record or something done on a variety TV programme from the late 50s or 60s - it’s definitely not Saint Saens and Carnival of the animals though !
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sulky lad wrote:Sorry but I don’t think it’s “how much is that doggy”. I’m sure it’s either a kiddies novelty record or something done on a variety TV programme from the late 50s or 60s - it’s definitely not Saint Saens and Carnival of the animals though !
Clutching at straws but there is an old Victorian music hall song called 'Daddy Wouldn’t Buy Me a Bow Wow' which resurfaces occasionally as a kid's novelty record. I don't know that any of the recorded versions have dog-bark sound-effects, though.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I think the barking is a carnival barker (which would fit in with the recorded version).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?