Elvis & The Imposters, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, June 7, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, June 7, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton play the Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow on Tuesday June 7, 2022.

Preview in "What's On Glasgow" is here.

According to the venue website:

"Elvis Costello & The Imposters return to Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on their UK tour, ‘The Boy Named If & Other Favourites’.

Joining Elvis are The Imposters (Steve Nieve - keyboards; Pete Thomas - drums; Davey Faragher - bass & backing vocals) along with Charlie Sexton.

Ian Prowse will be opening the show, performing songs from his upcoming album [which was released in February]."

Doors open 7pm.

Who's going?

MOOT
Fishfinger king

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, June 7, 2022

Post by Fishfinger king »

I will be there.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Myself and Lady B will be in attendance
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'll b there - to love and comfort my lapels !! :wink:
krm

Post by krm »

I´ll be there!
Fishfinger king

Anyone have any recommendations for pre-gig refreshments? On the train heading north now!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist anyone?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sweetest punch wrote:Setlist anyone?
Working on it - very stormy in Glasgow after the gig and with the usual nightlife outside not a lot of sleep :roll: :roll: :shock:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sulky lad wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:Setlist anyone?
Working on it - very stormy in Glasgow after the gig and with the usual nightlife outside not a lot of sleep :roll: :roll: :shock:
Sorry!! Take your time!
;)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Psc

Post by Psc »

on a Tuesday night?! Glasgow nightlife sounds pretty hardcore... :shock: :wink:
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
Fishfinger king

Was quiet where I was!
Pending sulky’s setlist, we did have a few changes from Brighton. Started at 8.45. Different songs included Indoor Fireworks, which I thought didn’t work in a new arrangement, Newspaper Pane which worked very well with the Imposters, We Are All Cowards Now and Mr & Mrs Hush. A solid if not spectacular gig.
Fishfinger king

Oh, and NO Watching the Detectives
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Pretty happy with the performance there was a greater verve than Brighton ( apart from the mad women dancing at the front) but the rest of the audience was inert in movement rather than in responses . All the BNI tracks worked well, Newspaper Pane and Truth Drug were real treats , just disappointed my batteries ran out before the end :( :roll:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:Pretty happy with the performance there was a greater verve than Brighton ( apart from the mad women dancing at the front) but the rest of the audience was inert in movement rather than in responses . All the BNI tracks worked well, Newspaper Pane and Truth Drug were real treats , just disappointed my batteries ran out before the end :( :roll:

Did you really suffer the ultimate embarrassment of dead batteries???? :D :D
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 07_Glasgow

01. Heart Of The City
02. Green Shirt
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
05. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me?
06. Mystery Dance
07. Truth Drug
08. The Difference
09. Alison
10. Indoor Fireworks
11. Penelope Halfpenny
12. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
13. Newspaper Pane
14. Shipbuilding
15. Good Year For The Roses
16. The Comedians
17. The Death Of Magic Thinking
18. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
19. Magnificent Hurt
20. Mr. & Mrs. Hush
21. Pump It Up
22. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
23. We Are All Cowards Now
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Fiona Shepherd writing in The Scotsman today reviews the show:

"Music evaluation: Elvis Costello & the Imposters, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall

Elvis Costello
Elvis Costello & the Imposters, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall ****

With impeccable/inevitable timing, there at all times seems to be some Boris Johnson information to impart whenever Elvis Costello is in town, offering grist to his mill. One memorable Barrowland look was fuelled with chilly fury by the announcement that Johnson had been made Foreign Secretary; on this occasion, Costello greeted the Prime Minister’s newest travails with withering sarcasm but kept some scorn in reserve for a certain honorary Scot’s efficiency on the Platinum Jubilee concert.

Overall although, this newest version of the Elvis roadshow was a good-natured affair, with Costello enjoying the usual intuitive relationship along with his Imposters wingmen Steve Nieve on keys, Davey Faragher on bass and indefatigable drummer Pete Thomas (“the senior member of the band by three weeks”). Stage left they had been joined by a special guest, the hip (relatively) young gunslinger Charlie Sexton, a guitarist used to navigating the arcane cues of the Bob Dylan band, so basically on holiday right here providing inspired, dexterous embellishment and piercing backing vocals.

The superb setlist comprised two hours of songs previous and new, with a wholesome complement of Nick Lowe choices – not least Heart of the City to kick off and the air-punching (What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding to finish. Elsewhere, Costello ranged freely from the martial drums and tacky synth arpeggios of Green Shirt through the western swing of Hey Clockface – from certainly one of a number of current albums which Costello may reasonably describe as “the new record” – to the basic country heartbreak of Good Year for the Roses.

Among the older favourites, a luminous Alison, heartfelt Indoor Fireworks and stealthy jazz arrangement of Shipbuilding hushed the room, while new wave basic (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea and the trim wigout of Pump It Up maintained the taut power from a band who have bottled the vigour of youth and alchemized it with the knowledge of expertise."

I'm sure Charlie Sexton (age 53) will be thrilled to be styled a "hip young gunslinger".

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
sulky lad wrote:Pretty happy with the performance there was a greater verve than Brighton ( apart from the mad women dancing at the front) but the rest of the audience was inert in movement rather than in responses . All the BNI tracks worked well, Newspaper Pane and Truth Drug were real treats , just disappointed my batteries ran out before the end :( :roll:

I’m afraid so …. However another intrepid young thing has managed to recited the whole show allegedly ….. :wink:
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

We had a great evening, the boys were outnumbered 2 to 1 by the girls. Sulky, myself, KRM, Nicola, Clare, Wilma, Jo and Mrs Sheep had a drink before the show. Where we were treated to 30 seconds of a sectarian song by a group of women who were frankly old enough to know better especially as they were all drinking shots too. The youngest must have been at least 75. The barmaid quickly shouted ' you cannae sing that song in here'

Great to meet Amy from New York for the very first time and great to catch up with Stefanie and Paulina

Myself and Maura spent a nice evening on the Monday beforehand with KRM and Wilma. Having met KRM briefly in the Kelvingrove museum earlier in the day.

Onto the show itself I thought the show was a bit top heavy with songs from the last three albums. Although all the songs were played brilliantly.
I loved Alison followed by Indoor Fireworks. I thought that and The Comedians were the highlights of the night. We are all cowards now was a strange one to finish on after the excitement of PLU.

I think I prefer the straight 2 hour set with none of the encore rubbish when you know they are going to come back and you have five minutes of shouting 'more'. If its a genuine encore when the show has been that great and they play someting off the setlist then fine.

The band sounded great and Elvis was in good voice. Davy and Charlie's BV's add to the sound.

there was a lot of drunken shouting out from the audience in the early stages and one woman was removed by the security staff. The shouting died down after Elvis answered the woman.

A few of us went to see Ian Prowse in an instore show in a record shop by Queen Street station. We were told the setlist is a guarded secret and Elvis can play any of three songs in a position on the set.

Hammersmith now for me if the train strikes dont get in the way. A great evening was had by all and thank you all those mentioned for a wonderful evening.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:I think I prefer the straight 2 hour set with none of the encore rubbish when you know they are going to come back and you have five minutes of shouting 'more'. If its a genuine encore when the show has been that great and they play something off the setlist then fine.
I guess that's what an encore was supposed to be, in 'the old days'. Probably a relic of the 1950s (or even Music Hall), when, if a band had gone down particularly well, the crowd would 'holler for more', as it were. These days it's a bit of a farce. Any major artist you go to see, you know there will be encores, and you almost certainly know what they will be, before you walk into the venue. So the pretence of walking off-stage and letting the applause build up for three minutes each time is exactly that - an obsolete ritual.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I certainly don’t miss the inevitable and slightly farcical clapping and cheering for more. There was a time when Elvis dragged it out a bit and there would be a sort of ebb and flow which frankly irritated me as you knew he’d come back. I much prefer this playing straight through.
krm

Post by krm »

bronxapostle wrote:

I think sulky hit the panic button and turned it off when I started the sing-a-long during Good year for the Roses :-) We actually happened to get the seats next to each other. Mad women dancing, krm singing - it all became too much :lol: :lol: :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The one and only time Mrs VG saw Elvis was the Brighton show in 1999 (what a gig!).

Elvis played for an hour and did 3 30 minute encores. She thought that was ridiculous!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The one and only time Mrs VG saw Elvis was the Brighton show in 1999 (what a gig!).

Elvis played for an hour and did 3 30 minute encores. She thought that was ridiculous!
Yean, and having said that I think the idea of encores is outdated, I do enjoy it when he does that stuff on a solo tour - well, 1999 would be Costello and Nieve, yes? He did quite a lot of it on that tour - coming back out again and again, holding one finger up and mouthing 'one more?' (to rapturous cheering). One night - must have been Manchester - he did 'I Still Have That Other Girl' (for about the fifth encore) so he could get a laugh for the first line 'I have to say, we should finish this now...'

The friend/casual fan I'd dragged along thought that was hilarious. And it was. When he's solo, or just with Steve or whatever, the gag of returning to the stage time after time can be a really funny routine. But in a full-band show...not so much. For me, anyway.
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

I might be in the minority but I LIKE the encore ritual!!