Elvis & The Imposters, Brighton Dome, June 5, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters, Brighton Dome, June 5, 2022

Post by Man out of Time »

The Boy Named If & Other Favourites Tour begins in Brighton, E. Sussex on Sunday June 5, 2022.

Writing for Brighton & Hove News on December 9, 2021, Nick Linazasoro previewed the show thus:

Elvis Costello & The Imposters to open UK tour in Brighton

"Following the announcement of the new album ‘The Boy Named If’, Elvis Costello & The Imposters have announced a UK tour, ‘The Boy Named If & Other Favourites’, in June 2022, which kicks off here in Brighton at The Dome on Sunday 5th June and culminates with a show at London’s Hammersmith Eventim Apollo on 23rd June. ‘The Boy Named If’ is released 14th January on EMI.

Elvis Costello will return to the UK in June 2022 with The Imposters (Steve Nieve – keyboards; Pete Thomas – drums; Davey Faragher – bass & backing vocals) along with Charlie Sexton for an extensive UK run of dates.

Ian Prowse will be opening the show, performing songs from his upcoming album. ‘One Hand on the Starry Plough’ will be released 11th February, 2022. Ian will also be appearing at Patterns on Sunday 27th March 2022 in order to promote his album.

Wednesday, 8th December (yesterday) saw the release of a Lupe-O-Vision short feature for the album’s first cut ‘Magnificent Hurt’ by marionette maker, Tony Sinnett in collaboration with Eamon Singer and Arlo McFurlow and edited by Elliot Thomas. Watch the video HERE.

Since his U.K. tour of 2020 was curtailed after a triumphant Hammersmith Apollo appearance in March 2020, Elvis Costello has released the album, ‘Hey Clockface’ and the subsequent French language E.P., ‘La Face de Pendule à Coucou’ – featuring the voices of Iggy Pop and Isabelle Adjani."

The Show has nearly sold out, but there are a few tickets still for sale. According to the venue website approximate stage times, subject to change, are:

Doors 7pm
Ian Prowse 8pm
Elvis Costello 9pm
Curfew 11pm

Who's going to be there?

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Brighton Dome, June 5, 2022

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Me and Goon Squad are!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Can't believe they left me out of that triumverate - but I'll be there ! :shock: :shock:
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

I’ll be there too :D
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:Can't believe they left me out of that triumverate - but I'll be there ! :shock: :shock:
I only included people I’m giving a lift to!

See you both there.
krm

Post by krm »

Enjoy the show tonight. See some of you in Glasgow on Tuesday.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 5_Brighton

01. Heart Of The City
02. Green Shirt
03. No Flag
04. Either Side Of The Same Town
05. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
06. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me?
07. Mystery Dance
08. The Difference
09. Tipsy Woman
10. Motel Matches
11. Penelope Halfpenny
12. Accidents Will Happen
13. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
14. Watching The Detectives
15. Good Year For The Roses
16. Brilliant Mistake / Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
17. The Comedians
18. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
19. Magnificent Hurt
20. Alison
21. Mr. Crescent
22. Pump It Up
23. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 5_Brighton

(…)
09. Tipsy Woman
(…)
Another new song?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 5_Brighton

(…)
09. Tipsy Woman
(…)
Another new song?
Sounds like it (I wasn't there). I love it when he does this. In fact I sometimes have to remind myself not to take this current iteration of Elvis for granted. I think back to c2013-2018, five years when he'd renounced the whole idea of the LP, seemed fairly distant from the Imposters, and - by his standards - wasn't really doing much. Who'd have thought - then - that one day we'd be back in the days of him knocking out a new LP plus a couple of side-projects every year, hanging out semi-permanently with the Imposters (even if online), and describing himself as a guy who 'plays guitar in a rock'n'roll band'?

And crucially, after a few years where he really seemed close to carrying out his resolve to stop making records, he's knocking out LPs, and he's back to being the guy who stops halfway through every live show to say 'you wanna hear a new song?' I bloody love it, and I believe we are living in (another) golden age of Elvis Costello.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Hawksmoor wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:

(…)
09. Tipsy Woman
(…)
Another new song?
Sounds like it (I wasn't there). I love it when he does this. In fact I sometimes have to remind myself not to take this current iteration of Elvis for granted. I think back to c2013-2018, five years when he'd renounced the whole idea of the LP, seemed fairly distant from the Imposters, and - by his standards - wasn't really doing much. Who'd have thought - then - that one day we'd be back in the days of him knocking out a new LP plus a couple of side-projects every year, hanging out semi-permanently with the Imposters (even if online), and describing himself as a guy who 'plays guitar in a rock'n'roll band'?

And crucially, after a few years where he really seemed close to carrying out his resolve to stop making records, he's knocking out LPs, and he's back to being the guy who stops halfway through every live show to say 'you wanna hear a new song?' I bloody love it, and I believe we are living in (another) golden age of Elvis Costello.

........we sure are! 8)
verbal gymnastics

He introduced it as being a song he wrote with his brother.

Over the years this could mean a number of people - Ronan or T-Bone Burnett for example.

It was a good gig with excellent sound. The band were a long way apart from each other on stage and the distance from Elvis to the front row was a long way as well.

The audience was very muted throughout although there was a lot of clapping. It was an odd atmosphere but maybe that’s the new normal.

Lastly my polite requests for a set list (stage and soundboard) were met with curt “No”s.

The only lowlight for me was the new version of Brilliant Mistake which doesn’t do it for me. Elvis added a few verses of a song called Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I don’t know if it was the Green Day song. If somebody recorded the show then perhaps they can help…
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The only lowlight for me was the new version of Brilliant Mistake which doesn’t do it for me. Elvis added a few verses of a song called Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I don’t know if it was the Green Day song. If somebody recorded the show then perhaps they can help…
I didn't see or record the show, but 'The Boulevard of Broken Dreams' is listed on the Wiki as one he played 20-odd times on the US November 2021 tour, always as a segue with 'Brilliant Mistake'. It's a Harry Warren/Al Dubin song from the 1930s, apparently.

In fact, after a bit of digging around, it turns out there's a really nice Diana Krall version which isn't too difficult to find.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Verbal's photos

migdd

Post by migdd »

Great job, vg!!! :D
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Man, that set list is not killing me. I hope it evolves considerably by the time they get to NYC.
Psc

Post by Psc »

Hmm I was just thinking the same thing...hope it evolves by the Bath show on 17th June :shock: :wink:
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Arbogast wrote:Man, that set list is not killing me. I hope it evolves considerably by the time they get to NYC.
I'm forced to agree. Not that I don't love all those songs, obviously, but, if I try and break it down: 10 'standards' (Green Shirt, Mystery Dance, Accidents, Detectives, GYFTR, Brilliant Mistake, Chelsea, Alison, Pump It Up and PLU), 5 TBNI tracks and the usual 3 suspects from Clockface. 'Heart of the City' is great but it's been a go-to opening song/second song for over a decade now (I'd rather hear 'Truth Drug' right now). Plus one new song. That leaves precisely three 'back catalogue nuggets' (Either Side, Motel Matches and The Comedians), all of which were standards throughout the Hello Again tour in late 2021.

If I get a set-list like this in Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester or Birmingham, I'm sure I'll have a great night. But still hoping to be sprung a few more cute surprises as the tour progresses. I'll always treasure being present at Manchester in July 2014 to hear one of only four live performances, ever, of 'Dr Luther', and hope he's got a few tricks up his sleeve. We'll see.
Psc

Post by Psc »

Let's hope so! I've still got very fond memories of the Roundhouse gig in 2016 when he opened with "Big Tears" and went on to play "Moods For Moderns" and "Sunday's Best". Threw me a massive curveball there!
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
verbal gymnastics

This was an opening night so I’d take that into consideration.

It was also a 2 hour set (they came in at 9pm). I hope they come onstage earlier and play longer. I expect as the tour evolves the setlists will vary. It was uninspiring but when you have as many songs as he does the setlist is not always going to please everybody. At least no one shouted out for Oliver’s Army!

As much as I love Peace, Love and Understanding, I’d rather it was shorter so he could play another song.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hawksmoor wrote: I'll always treasure being present at Manchester in July 2014 to hear one of only four live performances, ever, of 'Dr Luther'.
yeah me too - but that was a solo show so it's much easier for him to toss in some uniqueness.
Psc wrote: I've still got very fond memories of the Roundhouse gig in 2016 when he opened with "Big Tears" and went on to play "Moods For Moderns" and "Sunday's Best". Threw me a massive curveball there!
Similar set at Liverpool a few days later. An attending pal who's not such an EC-nut complained to me afterwards that he hardly recognised anything and was worried that he may not get to hear Alison!!
I still love a marathon PLU...
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

No complaints about the set list from me. It was a wonderful show! Not wildly keen on the 9pm start/11pm curfew end though. Seems like an odd decision.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review (in Portuguese) by Lucas Krempel published at Brazilian culture website Blog N Roll on June 8, 2022.

"UK ROCKS | ELVIS COSTELLO ENCANTA NO HISTÓRICO BRIGHTON DOME

Uma apresentação de Elvis Costello sempre pode surpreender. Aos 67 anos, ele não é o tipo de artista que vive do passado e segue a mesma fórmula para compor desde os primórdios. Portanto, um show dele pode ter punk rock, jazz, blues, música clássica, inglês ou espanhol. São infinitas possibilidades, se levarmos em consideração tudo que ele produziu e lançou desde os anos 1970.

Com isso em mente, o show em Brighton, na Inglaterra, no último domingo (5), me deixou sonhando e idealizando o que poderia assistir. Foram 11 anos de espera desde o cancelamento de sua segunda turnê no Brasil.

Em Brighton, cidade na qual a gaivota rouba a cena o tempo todo, Elvis deu o pontapé inicial da UK Tour do novo álbum, The Boy Named If. A casa escolhida foi a maravilhosa Brighton Dome, construção histórica que recebeu concertos memoráveis do Pink Floyd, além de ter sido o palco da final do Eurovision de 1974, que consagrou o Abba como vencedor.

Aliás, Elvis estava muito bem acompanhado de seus companheiros do The Imposters (Steve Nieve – teclados; Pete Thomas – bateria; Davey Faragher – baixo e backing vocals) e Charlie Sexton, guitarrista fixo da banda de Bob Dylan.

O repertório passeou por várias fases da carreira do músico. Em duas horas de apresentação, Elvis conversou muito com o público, brincou com o fato de ninguém ali estar se importando com o Jubileu da Rainha, além de ter intercalado momentos mais introspectivos com outros animados.

Desde o início da pandemia, Elvis viveu momentos distintos. Ficou isolado com a esposa, Diana Krall, e os filhos, lançou alguns discos em dois anos, mas também sofreu com grandes perdas, como a mãe e o amigo produtor Hal Willner.

O retorno aos palcos britânicos logo teve uma sensação diferente para o músico. Sua última apresentação pelo país, pouco antes da pandemia, foi em Liverpool. A mãe dele estava lá na plateia.

Voltando ao show no Brighton Dome, ele esquentou de vez da metade para o fim. Até o momento, Elvis tinha tocado muitas faixas com poucas luzes no palco, o que fez com que algumas pessoas até tirassem um cochilo na plateia.

Accidents Will Happen mudou esse cenário. Quase em sequência, foi sucedida por Watching the Detectives, The Comedians, (I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea e Alison.

Pump It Up e (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding, que deram números finais ao show, tiraram o público das cadeiras. Ninguém mais ficou sentado e cantaram junto com Elvis até o fim. Foi o mais próximo dos tempos de punk rock do músico.

Ian Prowse
O responsável pela abertura da noite foi Ian Prowse, vocalista das bandas indie Pele e Amsterdam. Com pouco mais de 40 minutos de apresentação, ele priorizou alguns dos sons mais conhecidos de suas duas bandas, além de duas novidades da carreira solo, que teve um álbum lançado no início do ano, One Hand on the Starry Plough.

Uma dessas canções foi tocada logo na entrada de Prowse. Diego é um tributo do artista ao inigualável Diego Armando Maradona. Sim, o cara é fanático por futebol.

Diego é uma canção bem linda, no piano, com muita influência de The Carpenters. Acompanhado de outros dois músicos, um tecladista e uma violonista, Prowse entoou versos como “você estava louco, louco, louco, ninguém nunca fez isso como você, baby”.

Entre um som e outro, Prowse também abusou do humor inglês. Disse que avisou a família que aproveitaria o feriado do Jubileu para fazer um show em uma cidade de praia. Ouviu como resposta uma pergunta: “será lá que passaremos nossas férias?”. Ao que respondeu: “não, é Brighton. Vamos para outro lugar, por favor”. A piada foi bem aceita pelo público, que deu risada e o aplaudiu na sequência."

Or in "English via Google translate:

"Specials
UK Rocks | Elvis Costello Charms at Historic Brighton Dome

An Elvis Costello performance can always surprise. At 67 years old, he is not the type of artist who lives in the past and follows the same formula to compose since the beginning. Therefore, his show can include punk rock, jazz, blues, classical music, English or Spanish. There are infinite possibilities, if we take into consideration everything he has produced and released since the 1970s.

With that in mind, the show in Brighton, England, last Sunday (5), left me dreaming and imagining what I could watch. It has been 11 years of waiting since the cancellation of his second tour in Brazil.

In Brighton, a city where the seagull steals the show all the time, Elvis kicked off the UK Tour of his new album, The Boy Named If . The venue chosen was the wonderful Brighton Dome, a historic building that hosted memorable Pink Floyd concerts, as well as being the stage for the 1974 Eurovision final, which declared Abba winners.

In fact, Elvis was very well accompanied by his companions from The Imposters (Steve Nieve – keyboards; Pete Thomas – drums; Davey Faragher – bass and backing vocals) and Charlie Sexton, regular guitarist in Bob Dylan's band.

The repertoire covered various phases of the musician's career. In the two-hour performance, Elvis talked a lot with the audience, joked about the fact that no one there was caring about the Queen's Jubilee, in addition to interspersing more introspective moments with lively ones.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, Elvis has experienced different moments. He was isolated with his wife, Diana Krall, and his children, released a few albums in two years, but also suffered great losses, like his mother and producer friend Hal Willner.

Returning to the British stage soon had a different feel for the musician. His last performance for the country, just before the pandemic, was in Liverpool. His mother was there in the audience.

Returning to the show at Brighton Dome, it really heated up from the middle to the end. Until now, Elvis had played many tracks with few lights on stage, which caused some people to take a nap in the audience.

Accidents Will Happen changed this scenario. Almost in sequence, it was succeeded by Watching the Detectives, The Comedians, (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea and Alison.

Pump It Up and (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding, which gave the show's final numbers, got the audience off their seats. No one else sat still and they sang along with Elvis until the end. It was the closest to the musician's punk rock days.

Ian Prowse
The person responsible for opening the night was Ian Prowse, lead singer of the indie bands Pele and Amsterdam. With just over 40 minutes of presentation, he prioritized some of the best-known sounds of his two bands, as well as two new features from his solo career, which had an album released at the beginning of the year, One Hand on the Starry Plow .

One of these songs was played just as Prowse entered. Diego is the artist's tribute to the incomparable Diego Armando Maradona. Yes, the guy is a football fanatic.

Diego is a very beautiful song, on the piano, with a lot of influence from The Carpenters. Accompanied by two other musicians, a keyboardist and a guitarist, Prowse sang lines like “you were crazy, crazy, crazy, no one ever did it like you, baby”.

Between one sound and another, Prowse also abused English humor. He said he told his family that he would take advantage of the Jubilee holiday to do a show in a beach town. He heard a question in response: “Will we spend our vacation there?” To which he replied: “No, it’s Brighton. Let’s go somewhere else, please.” The joke was well received by the audience, who laughed and applauded him afterwards."

MOOT