Charles Mingus Centennial Celebration, April 22 & 23, Lincoln Center, New York, NY

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Charles Mingus Centennial Celebration, April 22 & 23, Lincoln Center, New York, NY

Post by Man out of Time »

So the Lincoln Center in New York is hosting the Charles Mingus Centennial Celebration, with two concerts on Friday and Saturday, 22 and 23 April. Details and tickets are at the link below. There is a streaming option for the Friday night show.

Jazz.org

Will Elvis be there? It is a possibility. He appeared at the Lincoln Center on 13 April for the Jazz at Lincoln Center Gala 2022 and performed with the Jazz at Lincoln Center orchestra and Wynton Marsalis, who are also appearing at the shows on 22 and 23 April.

Elvis has performed and recorded Mingus songs, with the Mingus Big Band playing six dates with them in 1997.

If he is still in New York, it would be no stretch to turn up for a few rehearsals and two shows.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Charles Mingus Centennial Celebration, April 22 & 23, Lincoln Center, New York, NY

Post by sweetest punch »

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... AQ-8NK1bQo

Just got home from a big party: The Mingus Big Band at Dizzy’s. A thrill to hear Ku-Umba Frank Lacy tearing into my lyric for “Invisible Lady” on Mingus’ birthday in the Centennial celebration at JALC. Stayed for the late set and sang “Weird Nigntmare. ⁦
@ElvisCostello

https://2022.jazz.org/the-mingus-big-band

APR 21–22
THE MINGUS BIG BAND
CHARLES MINGUS CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION

ABOUT THE SHOW
“The hippest big band in the universe - robust, earthy, sanctified.”
— Time Out New York

Kicking off a multi-night Charles Mingus Centennial Celebration (born, April 22, 1922) the Grammy-winning Mingus Big Band performs the music of its namesake, composer/bassist Charles Mingus, who died in 1979, as only they can. The Mingus Big Band first came together in 1991 and can regularly be seen in venues around New York City and the world with eleven recordings to its credit. Made up of a “Who’s Who” in New York, don’t miss the actual birthday party on Saturday night, although every night will be a party as we present four rolicking nights in association with the Charles Mingus Institute and Jazz Workshop, Inc.

PERFORMANCE LINEUP
Dr. Alexander Pope Norris, trumpet
Alex Sipiagin, trumpet
Philip Harper, trumpet
Alex Foster, alto saxophone
Ron Blake, tenor saxophone (4/21)
Brandon Wright, tenor saxophone (4/22)
Wayne Escoffery, tenor saxophone
Abraham Burton, alto saxophone (4/21)
Scott Robinson, alto saxophone (4/22)
Jason Marshall, baritone saxophone (4/21)
Lauren Sevian, baritone saxophone (4/22)
Conrad Herwig, trombone
Ku-umba Frank Lacy, trombone
Earl McIntyre, trombone
Helen Sung, piano (4/21)
David Kikoski, piano (4/22)
Boris Kozlov, bass
Donald Edwards, drums
Special guest Danny Mixon (4/22)

Live Performance at Jazz at Lincoln Center’s intimate jazz lounge, Dizzy’s Club in New York City
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Arbogast

Re: Charles Mingus Centennial Celebration, April 22 & 23, Lincoln Center, New York, NY

Post by Arbogast »

No video?

Weird: There's been no video posted on this site of the Hal Wilner performance, the Lincoln Center gala of a week or two ago, either. Anyone know why clips don't show up on this forum the way they used to?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I would venture to state that it is because of the lack of Elvis devotees being at these unannounced appearances. What were you thinking regarding their non existence? To the attendees at these shows, I imagine his contribution was just another live song not needing to be captured...unlike those of us here might wish.