Elvis recording again at Memphis Magnetic Recording Studios, May 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis recording again at Memphis Magnetic Recording Studios, May 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems like Elvis will be recording again at Memphis Magnetic Recording Studios, probably before or after his appearance at NOJF in May:

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 8#p7751926

Man out of Time wrote:Interesting piece by Bob Mehr published on March 1, 2022 in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, about Memphis Magnetic Recording studios.

In conclusion he writes:

"Last year, while singer-songwriter Nicole Atkins was recording at Memphis Magnetic, the studio came to the attention of Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Famer Elvis Costello. “He was tipped off to the studio by Nicole,” says McEwen. “Nicole was here recording, and they’re friends. She and Elvis were Facetiming and he was like, ‘Where are you?’ I think he became enamored of the place. A week later his management called us to book a session.”

Costello has already done one long session at Memphis Magnetic and has another on the books (he also cut a video for the BBC at the studio). For McEwen, it’s a validation of the work put into creating Memphis Magnetic and his decision to come to town. "

MOOT
Last edited by sweetest punch on Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis recording again at Memphis Magnetic Recording Studios

Post by sweetest punch »

People on Facebook are saying that Elvis has said in Bristol (http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11908 ) that he has recorded another album with the Imposters!
Can anyone confirm?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
krm

Post by krm »

According to instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CddhdSUA9w9/ EC&I were visiting the studio early-mid May this year.
Confirmed by a nice clip here: https://www.instagram.com/seandylan/
belfast

Post by belfast »

Mayes lives in Austin, but I imagine at least the later session(s) may still be unrelated to the Rusty album?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

belfast wrote:Mayes lives in Austin, but I imagine at least the later session(s) may still be unrelated to the Rusty album?
Almost certainly. The Rusty LP appears to have been recorded remotely: the official site says that the Rusty sessions 'connected Sentry Sound, Vancouver with Austin TX, Santa Fe NM and Los Angeles CA by the magic of the musical telegraph'. All of which are some distance from Memphis, obviously. And if Elvis was sending his parts (for the Rusty LP) from home (Vancouver), that doesn't fit with the short video of his guitar in Memphis Magnetic.

Plus these new Memphis sessions appear to be from 'early May'. If they were for Rusty, it would be an extraordinary feat to have recorded them early May, mixed, produced, pressed up the CDs, printed the sleeves and shipped everything over to the UK for Elvis to have them on the merch stall in Leeds on 29th May.

I don't know for sure, but I believe the Rusty sessions were a lot earlier, and that these new sessions at Memphis Magnetic are for a different project.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Hawksmoor wrote:Plus these new Memphis sessions appear to be from 'early May'. If they were for Rusty, it would be an extraordinary feat to have recorded them early May, mixed, produced, pressed up the CDs, printed the sleeves and shipped everything over to the UK for Elvis to have them on the merch stall in Leeds on 29th May.
On stage in Bexhill-on-Sea last night, Elvis said that he and The Imposters had rehearsed for their forthcoming UK tour at studios in Memphis, following their appearance at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (on May 6). So that may clear up what they were up to in Memphis last month. It does not rule out them recording there too, (and an informed source suggests that Sebastian Krys was also in Memphis), but the main purpose for being there seems to have been tour rehearsals.

MOOT
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Man out of Time wrote:On stage in Bexhill-on-Sea last night, Elvis said that he and The Imposters had rehearsed for their forthcoming UK tour at studios in Memphis, following their appearance at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (on May 6). So that may clear up what they were up to in Memphis last month. It does not rule out them recording there too, (and an informed source suggests that Sebastian Krys was also in Memphis), but the main purpose for being there seems to have been tour rehearsals.

MOOT
That fits, in as far as the October 2021 Memphis Magnetic sessions were definitely rehearsals for the US leg of the Hello Again tour, but some stuff was also recorded. 'Red Shoes', 'EDIWTB' and 'Magnificent Hurt' found their way out via radio shows and online (with accompanying videos), and it looks fairly certain that the studio recording of 'Truth Drug' (which appeared on the Japanese CD as a bonus track) was also recorded at the October 2021 Memphis sessions.

So if the May 2022 Memphis sessions followed the same pattern as the October 2021 sessions, it seems likely they were doubling up as tour rehearsals but also an opportunity to record a few things for future release?
Man out of Time

belfast wrote:Mayes lives in Austin, but I imagine at least the later session(s) may still be unrelated to the Rusty album?
On stage in Bexhill-on-Sea last night, Elvis described the recording of The Resurrection Of Rust - which was the same way of working as for The Boy Named If - namely Allan Mayes recording in Austin, TX; Pete in his basement (Bonaparte Rooms West, CA), Davey in his spare bedroom (Chateau Shorty, CA), Elvis in a "cupboard under the stairs" in Vancouver (Sentry Sound), Steve "somewhere in France" (Pasteur Sound) and Bob Andrews at Frogville Studios in Santa Fe. So they were never physically in the same space to record the album. Sebastian Krys worked his usual magic to stitch it all together.

MOOT
Man out of Time

Hawksmoor wrote:
Plus these new Memphis sessions appear to be from 'early May'. If they were for Rusty, it would be an extraordinary feat to have recorded them early May, mixed, produced, pressed up the CDs, printed the sleeves and shipped everything over to the UK for Elvis to have them on the merch stall in Leeds on 29th May.

I don't know for sure, but I believe the Rusty sessions were a lot earlier, and that these new sessions at Memphis Magnetic are for a different project.
Elvis has released a YouTube video of a performance of "Here, There and Everywhere" to make Paul McCartney's 80th Birthday. The video is here:

The video was recorded at Memphis Magnetic Studios, produced by Sebastian Krys and filmed by Toast (Chris Holding). I would strongly suggest that it was recorded in May 2022.

MOOT
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Man out of Time wrote:Elvis has released a YouTube video of a performance of "Here, There and Everywhere" to make Paul McCartney's 80th Birthday. The video is here:

The video was recorded at Memphis Magnetic Studios, produced by Sebastian Krys and filmed by Toast (Chris Holding). I would strongly suggest that it was recorded in May 2022.

MOOT
I'm certain you're right. We don't know of any Memphis Magnetic sessions before May (except for the October 2021 sessions, obviously) and he's been in the UK continuously since...what...the last week of May? I still really hope the fruits of the May sessions will ultimately emerge as a mini-LP or something. but if he prefers to drip-feed individual tracks, then fine, I guess we just scoop them up as we go along. At the very least, this video shows that the necessary kit was set up to record sound and video of an Imposters performance, and that Sebastian Krys produced it. I'd be surprised if you'd go to the trouble of setting all that up to record one track?

On a different tangent, I think there was some mention of the Glasgow gig being recorded - presumably as video and sound? What are the odds on a DVD of the Glasgow gig with a handful of videos from the Memphis sessions as a bonus feature? That'd be nice.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wonder if Tipsy Woman and the Lyndon Johnson songs were recorded. I think Elvis is having a bit of fun about finding this on an obscure record in Liverpool.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Hawksmoor wrote:
Man out of Time wrote:Elvis has released a YouTube video of a performance of "Here, There and Everywhere" to make Paul McCartney's 80th Birthday. The video is here:

MOOT
I'm certain you're right. We don't know of any Memphis Magnetic sessions before May (except for the October 2021 sessions, obviously) and he's been in the UK continuously since...what...the last week of May? I still really hope the fruits of the May sessions will ultimately emerge as a mini-LP or something. but if he prefers to drip-feed individual tracks, then fine, I guess we just scoop them up as we go along. At the very least, this video shows that the necessary kit was set up to record sound and video of an Imposters performance, and that Sebastian Krys produced it. I'd be surprised if you'd go to the trouble of setting all that up to record one track?

On a different tangent, I think there was some mention of the Glasgow gig being recorded - presumably as video and sound? What are the odds on a DVD of the Glasgow gig with a handful of videos from the Memphis sessions as a bonus feature? That'd be nice.

On the way into the venue it said it was being recorded
Man out of Time

Hawksmoor wrote: I'm certain you're right. We don't know of any Memphis Magnetic sessions before May (except for the October 2021 sessions, obviously) and he's been in the UK continuously since...what...the last week of May? I still really hope the fruits of the May sessions will ultimately emerge as a mini-LP or something. but if he prefers to drip-feed individual tracks, then fine, I guess we just scoop them up as we go along. At the very least, this video shows that the necessary kit was set up to record sound and video of an Imposters performance, and that Sebastian Krys produced it. I'd be surprised if you'd go to the trouble of setting all that up to record one track?
Over on their Facebook page, on June 18, Memphis Magnetic Recording have shared the video clip of Elvis and the Imposters' playing "Here, There And Everywhere" and commented thus:

"Happy Birthday Sir Paul McCartney!!
A couple weeks ago , Elvis Costello was at Memphis Magnetic. One morning he came in and said that Stella McCartney asked him to record and film an 80th birthday wish song to be given to Paul on his birthday. What an honor to be a part of that. Here is what transpired….."
Memphis Magnetic Recording FaceBook June 18, 2022
Memphis Magnetic Recording FaceBook June 18, 2022
2022-06-18 Memphis Magnetic Recording FB .jpg (134.3 KiB) Viewed 7289 times
So that confirms that the latest video was recorded last month.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis recording again at Memphis Magnetic Recording Studios, May 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

https://wearememphis.com/play/music/202 ... c-moments/

2022’s Best Memphis Music Moments

(…)

Scott Mcewan, Studio Engineer and owner at Memphis Magnetic Recording Co: My favorite musical moment this year (perhaps in my whole life). Was in April when Elvis Costello was at Magnetic Magnetic recording for about a week. One morning a few days in, Elvis came in and said that Stella McCartney had called him and asked him to send her dad a video card for his 80th birthday in a few weeks. Of course we are all set up tracking songs, so Elvis decided we would sing him a song and film it on the iPad. The band quickly figured out what Beatles song they knew all the way through and decided on “Here There and Everywhere”. One of the techs on the floor filmed it on the iPad, and we multi tracked it up in the control room. During this I was flashing back to a “12 year old me” hanging out in my bedroom, wearing out the LP My Aim is True, and with Beatles posters plastered all over my walls. I honestly was having an out of body experience! Best musical moment of my life!
(…)