Elvis & The Imposters, Tulsa (OK), May 7, 2022 (Bob Dylan Center Event)

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & The Imposters, Tulsa (OK), May 7, 2022 (Bob Dylan Center Event)

Post by sweetest punch »

https://event.etix.com/ticket/online/pe ... storeToken

https://tulsaworld.com/entertainment/ar ... 111b4.html

Elvis Costello returns to Tulsa for Bob Dylan Center event

Elvis Costello and the Imposters will come to Tulsa for a special concert May 7 at Cain's Ballroom, as one of the events leading up to the grand opening of the Bob Dylan Center on May 10.

Limited general admission tickets the all-ages show will officially go on sale 10 a.m. Friday, March 4. Prices start at $75 and will be available online at cainsballroom.com or by phone at 800-514-3849.

All concert attendees must show proof of full vaccination (actual vaccination card, photocopy of the card or a picture/photo of the card will all work) or a negative PCR/antigen test result within 72 hours of attending the concert.

Costello and the Imposters are touring to promote their new album "The Boy Named If."

While many of the events planned for the days in advance of the Bob Dylan Center opening are reserved for special guests, the concert by Costello and the Imposters is one of the few open to the public.

Throughout a career that has spanned nearly 50 years, Elvis Costello has been acclaimed as one of popular music's most accomplished and wide-ranging artists, from his early days as one of the leading lights of Britain's post-punk music scene through his collaborations with such artists as fellow songwriters Paul McCartney and Burt Bacharach, opera star Anne-Sophie von Otter, and the chamber music ensemble the Brodsky Quartet.

Among his best-known songs are the hits "Alison," "Accidents Will Happen," "Every Day I Write the Book," "Veronica" and "Pump It Up," a song that was inspired in part by Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues."

Costello also was part of the 2014 project “Lost on the River: The New Basement,” a collection of previously unknown lyrics by Dylan, which Costello and others set to new arrangements.

Costello has been a frequent visitor to Cain's Ballroom; his most recent concert was a solo show in March 2015.

The Bob Dylan Center, named as one of "The Most Anticipated Museum Openings in 2022" by Smithsonian Magazine, will open to the public May 10 in the Tulsa Arts District.

The center will be the permanent home to the more than 100,000 objects — handwritten lyrics, paintings and drawings, rare audio recordings, never-before-seen footage of live performances, musical instruments, even items of clothing — that make up the Bob Dylan Archives.

In addition to providing scholars with access to the archives, the center will host permanent and changing exhibits design to give the public fresh insights into the life and work of the Nobel Prize-winning singer and songwriter.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
supplydavid

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Tulsa (OK), May 7, 2022 (Bob Dylan Center Event)

Post by supplydavid »

anyone going? I plan to go
Richard

Post by Richard »

I will be there and Patti Smith the night before.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

We expect full reviews!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Made a last minute decision to fly in from Colorado and go to the show (due to the miracle of an expiring airline travel voucher buring a hole in my pocket). I'm expecting a unique experience, given the somewhat historic nature of the venue. My only regret is that the Bob Dylan Center--a new museum in Tulsa-- is not having its' grand opening until the following Tuesday. I will be long gone by then.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Concert poster
Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa, Poster
Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa, Poster
2022-05-00 Tulsa poster red.jpg (163.5 KiB) Viewed 12193 times
MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics

Great (and somewhat obvious!) to see 2 Dylan covers in the set.

Presumably Like A Rolling Stone and I Threw It All Away were full band versions.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Great (and somewhat obvious!) to see 2 Dylan covers in the set.

Presumably Like A Rolling Stone and I Threw It All Away were full band versions.
THREW we have had before as long ago as 1984 but I don't ever remember a Rolling Stone. Hope it was complete song.
verbal gymnastics

Has I threw it all away ever been done as a band version before - I’ve seen Elvis do this solo.

I don’t think Elvis has ever done a full version of Like a Rolling Stone.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Has I threw it all away ever been done as a band version before - I’ve seen Elvis do this solo.
A couple of times in 1995 with the Attractions plus James Burton and Marc Ribot. (Maybe they need an extra guitarist to pull it off?)

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -17_London
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2_Roskilde
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I Threw It All Away: https://youtu.be/uOMnh0APTbM
verbal gymnastics

And No Coffee Table wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Has I threw it all away ever been done as a band version before - I’ve seen Elvis do this solo.
A couple of times in 1995 with the Attractions plus James Burton and Marc Ribot. (Maybe they need an extra guitarist to pull it off?)

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -17_London
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2_Roskilde
I was at the London show :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sweetest punch wrote:I Threw It All Away: https://youtu.be/uOMnh0APTbM

Nice video thanks filmer....I sure hope this YouTuber caught LIKE A ROLLING STONE completely too last night. Oh wait!! Should I be politically correct and NOT hope for that??? :oops: :oops: :P
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://news.yahoo.com/stars-fans-alike ... 00822.html

Stars and fans alike turn out as Bob Dylan Center opens in Tulsa

TULSA, OKLA. — "That's my program," said Bill Pagel of Hibbing, America's most obsessive Bob Dylan collector.

"No, that's my program," interjected his Greenwich Village rival Mitch Blank.

They're both right: Pagel's program for Dylan's first London concert and Blank's program for the 1964 Newport Folk Festival share a display case at the Bob Dylan Center, the new museum that opened Tuesday morning in Tulsa.

Offering history, context and priceless keepsakes for casual fans and serious researchers alike, the Dylan Center sheds light on the elusive Minnesota bard but ultimately lets music lovers decide what his songs are all about.

"It's a story you could tell a million ways," said Rock Hall of Famer Elvis Costello, who participated in the opening-week festivities. "The balance is really amazing. Just in terms of the subject, I don't think you could ask for more."

At Tuesday's grand-opening ceremony, the youth orchestra Sistema Tulsa offered an instrumental version of "Blowin' in the Wind" and an acoustic trio delivered "I Shall Be Released" in Cherokee.

U.S. poet laureate Joy Harjo recited an essay called "Tangled" about listening to Dylan and finding her own voice.

"Dylan reminded us in his poem-songs that every one of us has a story," she told a crowd of about 250.

To no one's surprise, Dylan wasn't at the opening. The singer-songwriter, who turns 81 on May 24, didn't even stop by last month when he performed a few blocks away.

There is no explaining Bob Dylan, which is both the mission and the point of the Dylan Center.

With more than 750,000 items in its digital archives — including thousands from Dylan himself — it serves the curious, the casual and the hardcore.

There are film clips of Dylan talking and performing, recordings of songs both well-known and obscure, photographs and manuscripts, letters and Christmas cards, paintings and even a 16-foot metal gate that Dylan — an exhibited sculptor — made to greet visitors once inside the front doors.

Dylan did not stipulate how his personal artifacts could be used, though his manager has "been a confidante on many things," said Steve Jenkins, the building's director.

Why Tulsa?

Of course, this being Dylan, there are the inevitable controversies.

Why is the center in Tulsa?

The short answer: Dylan sold his personal archive to the Tulsa-based George Kaiser Family Foundation in 2016 for a reported $20 million, in part because the foundation had saluted one of Dylan's heroes by establishing the Woody Guthrie Center here.

Is Kaiser — an oilman, banker and philanthropist — a Dylan fan?

"Yes and no," the billionaire told the Star Tribune. "I admire him. I'm a fan of Joan Baez. She's true to her ideals."

Kaiser met Dylan once, in 2016, and found him to be "a modest guy." Dylan was at the Woody Guthrie Center when he was supposed to be in Stockholm accepting the Nobel Prize for literature.

At a cost of another $10 million, the 29,000-square-foot Dylan Center was constructed in a former paper warehouse that also houses the Guthrie museum.

There are two floors of exhibits. Multimedia is used to tell the stories behind six Dylan songs including "Tangled Up in Blue." The center's archive room — open by appointment — is filled with such treasures as four drafts of the mid-1960s manuscript for his prose-poem book "Tarantula."

Hall of Famers in concert

Last week's opening activities attracted the Tulsa elite and Dylan followers, including historian Douglas Brinkley, author Clinton Heylin and collectors Pagel and Blank.

After a gala banquet Thursday for 500 donors, there were three nights of concerts at the historic 98-year-old Cain's Ballroom by Rock Hall of Famers with connections to Dylan.

Mavis Staples was in a spiritual mood with great conviction in her 82-year-old voice, though she didn't much mention Dylan, who once asked for her hand in marriage.

Patti Smith, making her first Tulsa appearance since 1978, was amped for the occasion, giving marvelous performances of three Dylan nuggets — "Boots of Spanish Leather," "Wicked Messenger" and "One Too Many Mornings."

Having substituted for Dylan at his Nobel ceremony, she proclaimed in Tulsa, "Tonight [Bob] ain't here but we are. Just joking. He's every[expletive]where."

Costello got into the spirit, telling lighthearted stories about encounters with Dylan and offering a lovely rendition of the bard's "I Threw It All Away" and a rollicking "Like a Rolling Stone."

All three stars visited the Dylan Center, where Costello curated a jukebox filled with 162 songs by Dylan, his influences and interpreters.

Less famous visitors were impressed, too.

"It has exceeded my expectations and I was optimistic," said Matt Simonsen, 46, of Eden Prairie, who purchased a membership to the center. "It's incredible seeing how the songs started and evolved. In the archives, they had 10 or 12 pages of [changing lyrics for] 'Dignity.' He's a hard worker."

Minneapolis musician Kevin Odegard, who played on Dylan's landmark 1975 album "Blood on the Tracks," was moved by what he saw — including the guitar he used during those sessions.

"Being here renews my hope that great art, photography, sculpture and song still has the power to lift us to a higher plane," he said. "I leave Tulsa better than it found me when I arrived."

Ann Margaret Daniel, a writer and humanities lecturer at the New School in New York City, explored the archives, seeking what Dylanologists consider the crown jewel of the Dylan Center: three pocket-sized notebooks with teeny handwritten lyrics that outline the evolution of "Blood on the Tracks."

"This center is not just about Bob Dylan," she said. "It's about American culture during the years he's been alive. You can buy Clinton Heylin's [Dylan] books here or 'The Grapes of Wrath.'"

The Dylan Center, like Dylan himself, is still evolving. Blank said a semi-truck of his collection will arrive in August from New York City.

"This place is a miracle," Blank said. "When we surreptitiously gathered materials, we were criminals. Now criminals are in a museum."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Very interesting article. Embedded is an unlisted YouTube video of EC's Like a Rolling Stone cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpIFrTZ5w2I
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »