Spike 2LP REISSUE ON GREEN VINYL

Pretty self-explanatory
Pars

Spike 2LP REISSUE ON GREEN VINYL

Post by Pars »

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/elv ... een-vinyl/

Spike is being reissued as a special limited edition 2LP green vinyl pressing in March 2022. Apparently, EC personally chose the colour! £35.00. Anyone tempted ?
Ymaginatif

Re: Spike 2LP REISSUE ON GREEN VINYL

Post by Ymaginatif »

pre-ordered! 8)
krm

Post by krm »

Anyone here that bought this? Any surprises after all these years, or should I just stick to my original LP, CD and 2CD?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

No surprises, if you're here for the music.

As for a vinyl release, it's the best one so far. The original release was a single thin slice of vinyl (back in the day when you could almost wobble them). The 2013 MOV vinyl release was sturdier, although still squashed on a single LP. This new issue is better. The covers are better made, thicker cardboard and stronger. The front cover looks very similar, but with a bot less saturation of red/pink. On the new issue, the white his face looks white, not pink. The back cover is slightly redone, with cleaner and more pleasant graphics.
The sort of poisonous green of the vinyl (taken from the edge of the Spike font itself) actually works quite well with the album.

Not sure whether that answers your question, but there you go.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

How is the sound? I bought the 2 LP, 180g vinyl of Brutal Youth recently; and it sounds amazing. It is probably the excellent mastering rather than only the analog platform. It made me appreciate the album’s production so much more.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Comparison between the original & the new edition.

Artwork wasn't usually kept back then. The new edition most likely features a copy of a sleeve from the time. It looks darker to me.

The sound is good. I'm listening now to the Rhino cd , from 2001, and it is so loud in comparison.

The brief bit of talk before Any Kings Shilling is 'one two' , played in reverse. My turntable has a button that plays stuff backwards, which I finally got to use for the first time. I may never stop! The snippet isn't on the Rhino cd or the original vinyl.
belfast

Post by belfast »

I didn't know the original vinyl edition omitted one track. Omissions make sense if you want to fit it on vinyl disc, but even with that omission it still ran over an hour, which is a ridiculous running time for a single LP. It wouldn't be hard to make a double LP that sounds much better given that running time alone.

Re: artwork, I haven't paid close attention until recent years, but it's interesting when you can see which albums kept their original cover elements (like the photo negatives) and which didn't, and it really makes a huge difference in quality. The most obvious one is This Year's Model. Unfortunately no CD edition retains the original pressing's great conceit of a misprinted cover (off-center, with the color bars "accidentally" printed on one side). Regardless the old Demon CD clearly scanned an old LP cover, one of the later vinyl sleeve printings that presented the album cover like a normal one, but the Rhino 2-CD edition and the new remaster from 2021 clearly went back and re-scanned the original photo negative. The clear and clean detail and color looks amazing on both. Since they went back to the photo neg, they had to re-create the text on the cover as well, and while they seem to use the correct font, it's slightly but visibly off on both CD reissues. Not a big deal at all, but I bring it up because it's one tell tale sign that they went back to the original cover elements for the best quality.

Spike wasn't one of my favorites, but I've grown to like it quite a bit now. I didn't realize until much later that it was such a long album until I took out a few tracks like the instrumentals, cutting it down to a twelve track album. I wondered if it would be too short after those three omissions and was surprised it was still about 50 minutes long.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There's only one instrumental on Spike ("Stalin Malone"). What were the other two omissions?
belfast

Post by belfast »

And No Coffee Table wrote:There's only one instrumental on Spike ("Stalin Malone"). What were the other two omissions?
For whatever reason, I remembered two instrumentals - maybe I'm misremembering some bonus track as an album track? Regardless, the other two tracks were probably "Any King's Shilling" and "Chewing Gum." According to the times given on Wikipedia, taking those three out leaves a running time of 49:47.