Post by krm »

Ulster Boy

Re: Live music from Elvis on BBC Sounds, November 11, 2021

Post by Ulster Boy »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Listen again: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011d04
The interview starts at 1:38:30 in the show.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time wrote:You will recall that prior to the start of the "Hello Again" tour, Elvis and the Imposters, spent days in the Memphis Magnetic Recording studio, with Sebastian Krys, rehearsing for the tour.

Why would they need Sebastian, if not to record? Perhaps the "live" music to air on Ken Bruce's show will come from those Memphis Magnetic sessions?

MOOT
MOOT is right: the two songs were recorded in these sessions in Memphis.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 9#p7749925
sweetest punch wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVAOLRegCn4 ... eA7g9__vV0

sebastiankrys: What an incredible week spent with @elviscostello and the Impostors in #memphis prepping for their tour. Thank you to the entire crew, fellow @fullsail HOF member @mixingmusiclive , Frank for saving my ass., Scott & Claire @memphismagneticrecordingco @darrellgilmour @the_real_daryn_davies @chris___toast and all @macklamfeldmanmgmt and the unbelievable band @steveprofessornieve @daveyfaragher #PeteThomas & @sextonplace and of course EC for continuing to include me in hIs musical adventures. #openingnight #helloagain #livemusic
Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Love that new version. Charlie's little flourishes add a lot.
Ulster Boy

Re: Live music from Elvis on BBC Radio 2, November 11, 2021

Post by Ulster Boy »

I hope there’s more, would seem quite an extravagance for the BBC to get the band together in Memphis for just two tracks
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Ulster Boy wrote:I hope there’s more, would seem quite an extravagance for the BBC to get the band together in Memphis for just two tracks
I also hope there are more tracks, but to be clear, the band gathered in Memphis to rehearse for the "Hello Again" tour with Charlie Sexton, not just to record a few tracks. As we now know, they had to rehearse the new songs, including songs from Hey Clockface that the Imposters will not have played before. The additional expense was to have Sebastian Krys (pictured below) join them - but maybe that was just for a day for those two tracks.

There may be other tracks that will turn up on other radio shows, or just be put out online to promote the new album, in the same way that the MSR Studios Session with The Roots was recorded to promote Wise Up Ghost.
Memphis Magnetic Recording Session - October 2021
Memphis Magnetic Recording Session - October 2021
2021-10-10 Memphis Magnetic photo 01.jpg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 10057 times
MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis said in the interview: “all going well - we’ll bring that line-up (Pete, Steve, Davey and Charlie) over to the UK before too very long”.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Extra track on YouTube: https://youtu.be/_vJ0O408Rck
(Red Shoes)
Man out of Time

Re: Live music from Elvis on BBC Radio 6Music, November 29, 2021

The Gideon Coe show on BBC Radio 6Music tonight (29 November) promises Sessions from Elvis Costello & The Imposters, Jane Weaver, Kacy & Clayton and Nubya Garcia.

This could be a rebroadcast of the three Memphis Magnetic tracks that were played on the Ken Bruce show earlier this month, or possibly something more, or something else. Elvis & The Imposters had never recorded a session for the BBC before the Memphis Magnetic session(s), although they have appeared on BBC TV in years gone by.

Gideon Coe on BBC Radio 6Music

MOOT
krm

Re: Live music from Elvis on BBC Radio 6Music, November 29, 2021

Post by krm »

Man out of Time wrote:The Gideon Coe show on BBC Radio 6Music tonight (29 November) promises Sessions from Elvis Costello & The Imposters, Jane Weaver, Kacy & Clayton and Nubya Garcia.

This could be a rebroadcast of the three Memphis Magnetic tracks that were played on the Ken Bruce show earlier this month, or possibly something more, or something else. Elvis & The Imposters had never recorded a session for the BBC before the Memphis Magnetic session(s), although they have appeared on BBC TV in years gone by.

Gideon Coe on BBC Radio 6Music

MOOT
what was transmitted yesterday? something new ???
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Just the same three posted earlier.
Man out of Time

Re: The Memphis Magnetic Recording Sessions

Over on his FB page, Steve Nieve posted this image from the BBC Radio 2 sessions at Memphis Magnetic Recording.
Steve Nieve on FB, 29 November 2021
Steve Nieve on FB, 29 November 2021
This was just the start... .jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 9583 times
On the Immobile Tour Backstage 2 show on Sunday, he suggested that they had indeed recorded many more songs in that studio, before the Hello Again Tour kicked off. That would explain the presence of Sebastian Krys for those sessions.

Whether this will result in a release such as The Clarksdale Sessions EP, or some bonus tracks on a future re-release of The Boy Named If time alone will tell...

MOOT
krm

Post by krm »

Ulster Boy wrote:Just the same three posted earlier.
Thanks for the info! I can breath normally again..... :-)
Man out of Time

Memphis Magnetic Recording

Interesting piece by Bob Mehr published on March 1, 2022 in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, about Memphis Magnetic Recording studios.

In conclusion he writes:

"Last year, while singer-songwriter Nicole Atkins was recording at Memphis Magnetic, the studio came to the attention of Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Famer Elvis Costello. “He was tipped off to the studio by Nicole,” says McEwen. “Nicole was here recording, and they’re friends. She and Elvis were Facetiming and he was like, ‘Where are you?’ I think he became enamored of the place. A week later his management called us to book a session.”

Costello has already done one long session at Memphis Magnetic and has another on the books (he also cut a video for the BBC at the studio). For McEwen, it’s a validation of the work put into creating Memphis Magnetic and his decision to come to town. "

MOOT