The Boy Named If, new album by Elvis & The Imposters, January 14, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: The Boy Named If, new album by Elvis & The Imposters, January 14, 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Hawksmoor wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:Can I just put in a word for “Mr Crescent?” It’s that final verse…with its implication that he is suffering from dementia, and the memory of what should have been his true love (lost long ago to his own untrustworthiness and reputation) floods his bewildered mind (“I wonder where my Honey has gone?”). Oh my gosh. What seems to be a fairly standard, if lovely, EC ballad about dissolute characters becomes utterly heartbreaking in that moment. :cry:
Absolutely. And for me, another argument for why this whole thing works as a whole LP, not just a collection of tracks. Those last few lines of 'Mr Crescent' are poignant anyway, but if you listen to the whole LP straight through - growing up, loss of childhood innocence, broken relationships, being a bastard in your adult life, paying the price - then those last couple of lines are stomach-churning and tear-inducing. And I hadn't even factored in the dementia thing, but you're dead right.

It's simply a masterclass in how to write and construct a popular music LP - borne of 45 years' experience and learning, of course. But that last line, 'I wonder where my honey has gone?' and then the guitar comes in behind it...perfectly phrased, perfectly sung, 50 minutes of intrigue, magic and heartbreak leading to that moment.
Regarding Mr. Crescent. I hadn't thought of the dementia possibility, but I was impressed to learn that Elvis might be a birder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent_honeyeater
John

Post by John »

The concentration on UK promotion has resulted in a very disappointing new entry at number 200 in the US album chart.

Down to 47 in the midweek UK chart. Look Now spent two weeks in the top 100 and TBNI may do the same.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics

This is a fantastic interview. When I started reading it and saw the 32nd album release and then some of the same stories I thought “Here we go” but then the stories about the Roots, the Pogues and Rod Stewart are brilliant.

I’ve read so many interviews but have to keep ploughing on because there’s always something new.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
This is a fantastic interview. When I started reading it and saw the 32nd album release and then some of the same stories I thought “Here we go” but then the stories about the Roots, the Pogues and Rod Stewart are brilliant.

I’ve read so many interviews but have to keep ploughing on because there’s always something new.
While he often repeats himself, the man has an endless number of interesting stories about his life.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Psc

Post by Psc »

Apparently The Boy Named If is album of the day on BBC 6Music today. They will be playing tracks from it all day.. :D
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
docinwestchester

"And I did write another record that was just a literal representation of a transition in my life that took place about 17 years ago. People were deeply shocked by how plain-spoken it was and didn’t like it. A lot of people didn’t like it because it wasn’t tricky and ironic and all these things that I had become supposedly known for. The couple of times that I spoke directly to people, they kind of stepped back, not cause the songs were bad, but because they don’t like truth. I’m that guy that’s got the smart-arse line you know but that’s not really me, that’s them, that’s what they’re hearing. You know I have no control about the way people listen to my songs, I have to write what I honestly think is the right story."

He's talking about North? Interesting.
verbal gymnastics

Psc wrote:Apparently The Boy Named If is album of the day on BBC 6Music today. They will be playing tracks from it all day.. :D
8)
verbal gymnastics

John - he’s definitely talking about North.

Do we know of any songs which were considered for The Boy Named If but not used?

Truth Drug is a bonus track but any others?
docinwestchester

verbal gymnastics wrote:John - he’s definitely talking about North.
Were people complaining that it was too "plain-spoken"?
verbal gymnastics

I loved the interview and it sounds like the interviewer was having a lot of fun

I like Elvis’ “replacement for some other guy” quip about Davey.

I must admit I thought the interview could go down the wrong track at the beginning with the “I imagine that you’re writing for your fans” comment! :lol:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch wrote:Elvis on Raised On
Radio: https://youtu.be/PgOJNvqYzIg
Longer version: https://youtu.be/hLQXYqL4SUU
heyhermano

Post by heyhermano »

Hawksmoor wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:Can I just put in a word for “Mr Crescent?” It’s that final verse…with its implication that he is suffering from dementia, and the memory of what should have been his true love (lost long ago to his own untrustworthiness and reputation) floods his bewildered mind (“I wonder where my Honey has gone?”). Oh my gosh. What seems to be a fairly standard, if lovely, EC ballad about dissolute characters becomes utterly heartbreaking in that moment. :cry:
Absolutely. And for me, another argument for why this whole thing works as a whole LP, not just a collection of tracks. Those last few lines of 'Mr Crescent' are poignant anyway, but if you listen to the whole LP straight through - growing up, loss of childhood innocence, broken relationships, being a bastard in your adult life, paying the price - then those last couple of lines are stomach-churning and tear-inducing. And I hadn't even factored in the dementia thing, but you're dead right.

It's simply a masterclass in how to write and construct a popular music LP - borne of 45 years' experience and learning, of course. But that last line, 'I wonder where my honey has gone?' and then the guitar comes in behind it...perfectly phrased, perfectly sung, 50 minutes of intrigue, magic and heartbreak leading to that moment.
This is all spot-on. I'm so thankful the song ended up on THIS album, played by THIS version of the Imposters. It's easy to imagine a prettier, more delicate recording wrapping up the album a la LOOK NOW or CLOCKFACE. But the arrangement on TBNI gives it extra weight, the coiled power of the band propelling the song forward even as Crescent's life is winding down. Hearing throughout the album what the Imposters are capable of, and then hearing them usher us out with such restraint (but still plenty of muscle)...it's breathtaking.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

I agree Mr Crescent is a great track.
There's an added thing for me that rarely occurs with an LP in that it makes me want to listen to the whole album again.
verbal gymnastics

I agree. Whilst What if I can’t give you anything but love was my immediate favourite, Mr Crescent has really gripped me as well.
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Mr. Crescent is one of his best. I'm still stuck on the bird reference, ..... crescent honey eater. Trying to unlock the references of being on a ship and taken to a different land, among many other things. Parlour spinnet with only 9 strings in it. ? Sister honey. Huh? Staring at the ceiling above their bed? Did he bang his sister? what the hell is going on here?

beautiful song, great fade out. slightly confused. Maybe the mystery of what the heck it really means makes it all the more better.