The Boy Named If, new album by Elvis & The Imposters, January 14, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
Hawksmoor

Re: The Boy Named If, new album by Elvis & The Imposters, January 14, 2022

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The only signed stuff I have is from when I’ve met him and the Imposters. It’s more personal - particularly on tickets or CDs or when I’ve managed to get a set list.

Mind you I have had Elvis sign things personalised for friends. He asked me if I’m opening a shop!
The only signed thing I have is my copy of Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink. I was initially interested in going to the 'signing' event in Manchester, but when it turned out that you would be paying a fortune for a wristband, which would entitle you to queue for ages, and then there were all kinds of restrictions on how long you'd be with Elvis, no selfies, no dialogue, all this...I thought 'you know what, that doesn't sound like a fun afternoon'. So I skipped it.

Went into Manchester HMV a few days later to purchase my copy of Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink, and the guy behind the counter said 'd'you wanna signed one?' I said 'does it cost any more?' and he said 'nah, we've got loads left over, they're all in the back'. :)
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Hawksmoor wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:The only signed stuff I have is from when I’ve met him and the Imposters. It’s more personal - particularly on tickets or CDs or when I’ve managed to get a set list.

Mind you I have had Elvis sign things personalised for friends. He asked me if I’m opening a shop!
The only signed thing I have is my copy of Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink. I was initially interested in going to the 'signing' event in Manchester, but when it turned out that you would be paying a fortune for a wristband, which would entitle you to queue for ages, and then there were all kinds of restrictions on how long you'd be with Elvis, no selfies, no dialogue, all this...I thought 'you know what, that doesn't sound like a fun afternoon'. So I skipped it.

It was the same in Oxford Street unless you were Clare H-C and then Elvis wrote his life story on the front page :D :D :D
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote: I was initially interested in going to the 'signing' event in Manchester, but when it turned out that you would be paying a fortune for a wristband, which would entitle you to queue for ages, and then there were all kinds of restrictions on how long you'd be with Elvis, no selfies, no dialogue, all this...I thought 'you know what, that doesn't sound like a fun afternoon'. So I skipped it.
In not doing you also skipped an opportunity to meet me in the queue :?

I went during my lunchtime, a hardback copy of the book was included in the price of the wristband. Yes those restrictions were largely in place, but I did manage to have a quick chat, similar to the snatched words after gigs in happier times.

oh and Elvis called me " Sir" :oops:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

In the late 1990 I found a Armed Forces LP in a charity shop, signed on the inner sleeve by Elvis and all 3 Attractions! Now that made my heart jump a couple of beats! Still a cherished possession! 8)

Since then, also an ugly smudged copy of Flockface and a neatly formed Revolving Song book box (yeah, that one!).
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Ymaginatif wrote:In the late 1990 I found a Armed Forces LP in a charity shop, signed on the inner sleeve by Elvis and all 3 Attractions! Now that made my heart jump a couple of beats! Still a cherished possession! 8)

Since then, also an ugly smudged copy of Flockface and a neatly formed Revolving Song book box (yeah, that one!).
The Armed Forces, - what an amazing find.!!
I finally got Bruce’s autograph a couple of years ago on my vinyl sleeves for a lot of albums to go with ones I got signed in 1996 at Liverpool. Most treasured is Trust with “Take care, David” from Steve and Elvis as well as Pete and Bruce and a fully signed Get Happy!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Top balcony wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote: I was initially interested in going to the 'signing' event in Manchester, but when it turned out that you would be paying a fortune for a wristband, which would entitle you to queue for ages, and then there were all kinds of restrictions on how long you'd be with Elvis, no selfies, no dialogue, all this...I thought 'you know what, that doesn't sound like a fun afternoon'. So I skipped it.

I went during my lunchtime, a hardback copy of the book was included in the price of the wristband. Yes those restrictions were largely in place, but I did manage to have a quick chat, similar to the snatched words after gigs in happier times.

He didn’t know you were an Evertonian, obviously !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote:
Top balcony wrote:oh and Elvis called me " Sir" :oops:
He didn’t know you were an Evertonian, obviously !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
were you there? During my spell working in Mudchester I wore my EFC bobble hat every day as an act of defiance (childish I know) but as the signing session was indoors I was bare headed by convention :P
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:

I can safely say I'm sorry to have missed you in the queue, but not sorry to have missed the opportunity to pay a few quid for a few minutes with Elvis. I suspect I may be unusual in this, but I've never pursued those opportunities to meet my musical or literary idols for a few fleeting seconds (or to get them to scribble their names on a piece of paper). I'm not knocking those who enjoy that, or who collect autographs, but...it's just not for me.

Most of my musical/literary idols are people who I also think would be good value for a relaxed chat over a pint, and they're usually people of whom I enjoy watching interviews and so on, because they are all interesting people with interesting things to say. So if, in some bizarre alternative universe, I was offered the opportunity to have lunch/a few drinks/a relaxed chat with Elvis, or Bruce Springsteen, or Simon Armitage, sure, I'd jump at the opportunity.

I have managed a pleasant 15 minutes chatting over a drink with Carol Ann Duffy in the Cornerhouse Bar in Manchester (as it was then) after a gig where she'd read/lectured (but I hadn't actually attended, I'd been at something else that night). And I did have a nice half-hour chatting with Phil Collinson (one-time producer of Doctor Who) at a mutual friend's birthday party. But that's about it, and it was nice to have a chat.

Oh - I've met Michael Rosen - I was landed with introducing him at a session for our Headteachers, so I grabbed him to say 'what do you want me to say about you?' and he was as charming and as beautiful as you would expect. And I've met The Beat, in the pub, pre-gig, when I was 17, and they were equally lovely and generous with their time. So I haven't done too badly, really.

But hanging around in the freezing cold after a gig for a two-second handshake and an autograph scribbled on a programme...just doesn't give me any pleasure, sorry. But again, no disrespect to those who do pursue that kind of thing - it's just not for me.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Well there is a saying "never meet your heros..."

I think my primary relationship with the professional musician Elvis Costello is as a consumer of his wonderful product which has been marketed via interviews etc over the years. Somehow the post-gig wait - fruitless on occasions - at the stage door seems an extension of the show, allowing me to mentally review and re-live. Plus it can be a chance to hang round with EC friends who have made long journeys to attend.

I have no relationship with Declan MacManus as such. Although we have some common lived experiences, being in the same city at the same age so going to the same gigs as 18year olds for example and interests/viewpoints that seem to co-inside. However I think the prospect of an extended conversation with him terrifies me!

I'm sorry we missed each other in the Arndale Centre.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Win a SIGNED Elvis Costello 7" Single of 'Magnificent Hurt' b/w 'Farewell, Ok':
https://www.crashrecords.co.uk/collecti ... 7537719435
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
geebot

Post by geebot »

Top balcony wrote:Well there is a saying "never meet your heros..."

I think my primary relationship with the professional musician Elvis Costello is as a consumer of his wonderful product which has been marketed via interviews etc over the years. Somehow the post-gig wait - fruitless on occasions - at the stage door seems an extension of the show, allowing me to mentally review and re-live. Plus it can be a chance to hang round with EC friends who have made long journeys to attend.

I have no relationship with Declan MacManus as such. Although we have some common lived experiences, being in the same city at the same age so going to the same gigs as 18year olds for example and interests/viewpoints that seem to co-inside. However I think the prospect of an extended conversation with him terrifies me!

I'm sorry we missed each other in the Arndale Centre.
Been face to face with the man on a number of occasions over the decades. I was easily recognizable as the "blubbering idiot" character. Hung out with Pete briefly before a gig when we were the only ones in the venue but it was pretty brief.
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

So there's a baker's dozen of formats with and without books for this LP on a steeply sliding scale of prices. My circumstances lead me to wonder if I should get the most basic (it's all about the music, no?) and save the rest for a concert ticket when UK dates are announced. Does anyone have any opinions or info as to which version of the album to go for....?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Ot in the sense that I have not ordered the album yet. I’m waiting. Usually there’s a Japanese release with an extra track (or 2). I’d rather spend the extra on that rather than getting an Eamon Singer designed pair of socks, beanie hat or playing cards.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I did pre-order the CD w/the book. I would consider buying the vinyl, but I know that a 24-bit/96Hz download will be available from ProstudioMasters.com. They already have Magnificent Hurt available as a single.
MilitantVegan

Post by MilitantVegan »

Excited about this one. I didn't even purchase "Hey Clockface" to be honest. Weird is cool but without melody it's just weird. "No Flag" is the only song I dug. After being an avid fan of nearly everything from "Aim" thru "Painted" I found myself underwhelmed with new material beginning with "When I Was Cruel". So the only full albums I own and still listen to post-"Painted From Memory" are "North", "The River In Reverse" and "Look Now".
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics

verbal gymnastics wrote:Ot in the sense that I have not ordered the album yet. I’m waiting. Usually there’s a Japanese release with an extra track (or 2). I’d rather spend the extra on that rather than getting an Eamon Singer designed pair of socks, beanie hat or playing cards.
Now, if only someone can tell me what the remixes are…

My Japanese is worse than my English!
migdd

Post by migdd »

The bonus tracks are Truth Drug and one other.

https://www.universal-music.co.jp/elvis ... 3YcPoMCmaM
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

migdd wrote:The bonus tracks are Truth Drug and one other.

Or possibly not one other? Google Translate informs me that 日本盤ボーナス・トラック just means 'Japan Edition Bonus Track' so that's probably just referring to 'Truth Drug'. Still, it'd be interesting to know what the remixes are. As noted elsewhere, Japan edition bonus tracks usually crop up before too long on some EP or mini-LP (Cruel Smile, Clarksdale Sessions or whatever). So I'll hang fire on coughing up for this just yet.

Although maybe I won't. Google Converter also informs me that Y1,749 is only £11:50 - is that right? I don't mind springing £12 for early access to a bonus track and some remixes. Although I guess shipping will pretty much double that. Yeah, maybe I'll wait.
geebot

Post by geebot »

MilitantVegan wrote:Excited about this one. I didn't even purchase "Hey Clockface" to be honest. Weird is cool but without melody it's just weird. "No Flag" is the only song I dug. After being an avid fan of nearly everything from "Aim" thru "Painted" I found myself underwhelmed with new material beginning with "When I Was Cruel". So the only full albums I own and still listen to post-"Painted From Memory" are "North", "The River In Reverse" and "Look Now".
"No Flag" is great live on the current tour; band fills out the sound nicely, ditto Hetty O'Hara which did not grab me on the disc. VERY excited to hear Boy Named If, Penelope Halfpenny and Farewell, OK in their recorded versions. They were really excellent live. Heck, all the new tracks sounded great live.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Hawksmoor wrote:

Or possibly not one other? Google Translate informs me that 日本盤ボーナス・トラック just means 'Japan Edition Bonus Track' so that's probably just referring to 'Truth Drug'. Still, it'd be interesting to know what the remixes are. As noted elsewhere, Japan edition bonus tracks usually crop up before too long on some EP or mini-LP (Cruel Smile, Clarksdale Sessions or whatever). So I'll hang fire on coughing up for this just yet.

Although maybe I won't. Google Converter also informs me that Y1,749 is only £11:50 - is that right? I don't mind springing £12 for early access to a bonus track and some remixes. Although I guess shipping will pretty much double that. Yeah, maybe I'll wait.
Pre-order the japanese version with bonustrack ‘Truthdrug’: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY- ... 8ee6e5440d
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:

Pre-order the japanese version with bonustrack ‘Truthdrug’: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY- ... 8ee6e5440d
Still cagey about springing £16/£17 on this (plus probably the same again in shipping) for one track that will probably be available in the UK within a few weeks anyway? And the page you've linked to there makes no mention of any remixes?
verbal gymnastics

And No Coffee Table wrote:The UK store says "an album playback event, including a live Q&A with Elvis Costello" will be held in London on November 19.

https://shopuk.elviscostello.com/
The winners have been contacted.

I’m not one of them but I know a man who is!
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:The UK store says "an album playback event, including a live Q&A with Elvis Costello" will be held in London on November 19.

https://shopuk.elviscostello.com/
The winners have been contacted.

I’m not one of them but I know a man who is!
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!! 8)
Absolutely buzzing to win two tickets, and have asked VG to join me..............so long as he promises not to start doing any weird dancing !!! :roll: