"Shut Him Down" - single by Michael Leonhart Orchestra, Elvis Costello & JSWISS

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

"Shut Him Down" - single by Michael Leonhart Orchestra, Elvis Costello & JSWISS

Post by And No Coffee Table »

This song was apparently released without fanfare on September 22. It's on Spotify and Apple Music, but I can't find a YouTube link.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4Th7MnRGMBDJ4q6yUmaF7Y
https://music.apple.com/us/album/shut-h ... 1531533870

Hawksmoor

Re: "Shut Him Down" - single by Michael Leonhart Orchestra, Elvis Costello & JSWISS

Post by Hawksmoor »

Good catch. It's on iTunes, in the UK at least, 99p.
WindUpWorld

Re: "Shut Him Down" - single by Michael Leonhart Orchestra, Elvis Costello & JSWISS

Post by WindUpWorld »

It's blooming' good. Another little treat that'll probably send me down a rabbit hole of musical enjoyment following Michael Leonhart.
taramasalata

Post by taramasalata »

Also was very pleasantly surprised this morning when I heard the usual Friday's "Release Radar" on Spotify...
with that - more and more baritone but yet familiar - voice meandering through a wonderful funky guitar-horns arrangement, like a lost "Wise up ghost"-track, a true gem!
These friday's release dates are getting more and more exciting these days... he REALLY IS prolific!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Now available to view/hear on Michael Leonhart's YouTube channel:

YouTube

Here is the backstory:

"Michael and Elvis first met in 2007 at the Molde Festival in Norway, where Costello and the late Allen Toussaint shared a double bill with Steely Dan (with whom Leonhart has played since 1996). The two kept in touch over the years, including joining forces in 2015 for an Elvis Costello & The Imposters/Steely Dan tour. Early on in the Covid quarantine, Leonhart sent Costello some instrumental music in need of lyrics, which “Michael sent from New York at the perfect time” states Costello. They finished two songs "Radio Is Everything" & "Newspaper Pane" which appear on Elvis' 2020 album "Hey Clockface". Soon after, Leonhart asked Costello to try his hand at a lyric and melody over an original heavy Afrobeat song started remotely with his Michael Leonhart Orchestra. “I’ve always been inspired by Elvis’ artistic compass which guides him to uncharted waters and towards taking creative risks. I had never heard him over this kind of groove and wanted to see where it might lead him” says Michael. Costello crafted lyrics that exist at the crossroads of political commentary and existential contemplation. Leonhart then asked rapper JSWISS, a frequent collaborator, to write a verse building off Elvis’ lyrics. The song also features a fiery bass clarinet solo from acclaimed saxophonist Chris Potter."

Not unlike some bits of Wise Up Ghost, but hard to think of another track the same. Bodes well for Hey Clockface IMHO. So pleased Elvis is still prepared to take risks, musically.

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jardine

Post by jardine »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: a lovely 'f%$@$* the virus, just watch this video, too.
Last edited by jardine on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Man out of Time wrote: Here is the backstory:

"Michael and Elvis first met in 2007 at the Molde Festival in Norway, where Costello and the late Allen Toussaint shared a double bill with Steely Dan (with whom Leonhart has played since 1996). The two kept in touch over the years, including joining forces in 2015 for an Elvis Costello & The Imposters/Steely Dan tour. Early on in the Covid quarantine, Leonhart sent Costello some instrumental music in need of lyrics, which “Michael sent from New York at the perfect time” states Costello. They finished two songs "Radio Is Everything" & "Newspaper Pane" which appear on Elvis' 2020 album "Hey Clockface". Soon after, Leonhart asked Costello to try his hand at a lyric and melody over an original heavy Afrobeat song started remotely with his Michael Leonhart Orchestra. “I’ve always been inspired by Elvis’ artistic compass which guides him to uncharted waters and towards taking creative risks. I had never heard him over this kind of groove and wanted to see where it might lead him” says Michael. Costello crafted lyrics that exist at the crossroads of political commentary and existential contemplation. Leonhart then asked rapper JSWISS, a frequent collaborator, to write a verse building off Elvis’ lyrics. The song also features a fiery bass clarinet solo from acclaimed saxophonist Chris Potter."

Not unlike some bits of Wise Up Ghost, but hard to think of another track the same. Bodes well for Hey Clockface IMHO. So pleased Elvis is still prepared to take risks, musically.

MOOT
Interesting. As a former band camp geek/fan of woodwinds, I immediately remembered that EC used the bass clarinet on two National Ransom songs - One Bell Ringing and You Hung the Moon. So there's that.
jardine

Post by jardine »

prepared to take risks and able to succeed so often! whew!

vid link no longer works

end of the first minute, bass player lower right is in several screens thast are just a speck out of sync, so his guitar next...well, have a look/ enjoyable in so many ways. anyone good at lyrics...old ears
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This is the best recorded Elvis song I’ve heard this year.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jardine

Post by jardine »

agreed

and i think the video is brilliant
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:This is the best recorded Elvis song I’ve heard this year.
I agree VG.
krm

Post by krm »

This is a good one!
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Fantastic song. Will there be an album by Michael Leonhart or just this single?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299309

The new album contains:

Newspaper Pane
(Elvis Costello /Michael Leonhart / Bill Frisell)

Radio Is Everything
(Elvis Costello / Michael Leonhart / Bill Frisell / Nels Cline)

The New York sessions were produced by composer, arranger and trumpet player, Michael Leonhart in collaboration with guitarists, Bill Frisell and Nels Cline and completed, lyrically and vocally by Costello, “via Electrical Wire.”

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
jardine

Post by jardine »

gotta say it again: can't wait for hey clockface, special edition...
krm

Post by krm »

sweetest punch wrote:

The New York sessions were produced by composer, arranger and trumpet player, Michael Leonhart in collaboration with guitarists, Bill Frisell and Nels Cline and completed, lyrically and vocally by Costello, “via Electrical Wire.”

"Electrical wire", is that the same as telefax?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

krm wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:

"Electrical wire", is that the same as telefax?
Stop pretending you know about modern forms of communication, you know where this will get you ! :wink: :roll:
jardine

Post by jardine »

i think it has something to do with edison, but i don't know why i think that
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

this should be on vinyl, right?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmusic/ ... 9-20201006

The Michael Leonhart Orchestra & Elvis Costello Release 'SHUT HIM DOWN' Video Oct. 9
The video will premiere on Qwest TV.

Michael and Elvis first met in 2007 at the Molde Festival in Norway, where Costello and the late Allen Toussaint shared a double bill with Steely Dan (with whom Leonhart has played since 1996). The two kept in touch over the years, including joining forces in 2015 for an Elvis Costello & The Imposters/Steely Dan tour. Early on in the quarantine, Leonhart sent Costello some instrumental music in need of lyrics, which "Michael sent from New York at the perfect time" states Costello. After finishing the first two songs, Leonhart asked Costello to try his hand at a lyric and melody over an original heavy Afrobeat song started remotely with his Michael Leonhart Orchestra. "I've always been inspired by Elvis' artistic compass which guides him to uncharted waters and towards taking creative risks. I had never heard him over this kind of groove and wanted to see where it might lead him" says Michael. Costello crafted lyrics that exist at the crossroads of political commentary and existential contemplation. Leonhart then asked rapper JSWISS, a frequent collaborator, to write a verse building off Elvis' lyrics. The song also features a fiery bass clarinet solo from acclaimed saxophonist Chris Potter.

"Shut Him Down" will be premiered on Elvis' "50 Songs For 50 Days" playlist, ( https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0sdlg ... EjLSUyIKeg ) a-song-a-day rollout of 50 songs and couplets from his catalog leading up to and including Tuesday, 11/3 (Election Day).

The MLO has developed its sound over the course of its monthly residencies at Jazz Standard, one of New York's most prestigious jazz rooms. Pre-pandemic, Leonhart was steadily pursuing his vision there, with unconventional instrumentation and a shapeshifting community of sought-after players from a variety of cutting-edge scenes and disciplines.

Leonhart's approach to the MLO cannot but be informed by his many other activities and wide-ranging credits: he's a top-level jazz trumpeter and longtime member of Steely Dan; a gifted and distinctive pianist; a singer, songwriter and film composer; a session player with credits including the Bruno Mars/Mark Ronson megahit "Uptown Funk"; an accomplished orchestrator (Nels Cline's Lovers) and producer (Donald Fagen's Sunken Condos, Sachal Vasandani's Slow Motion Miracles). The polyglot musical worldview Leonhart has developed as a result stamps the MLO's work at every moment. And the joy he gets from it is infectious.

Hailed as "a blazing hot mess of awesome" by The New York City Jazz Record, the Michael Leonhart Orchestra (MLO) traverses a huge swath of musical terrain, guided by the highly developed ears, ceaselessly omnivorous tastes and playful yet meticulous artistry of its leader, Michael Leonhart.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Okay, so, we haven't heard this yet? Oh, right, I get it. THAT's why the video disappear so quickly a while ago.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

jardine wrote:Okay, so, we haven't heard this yet? Oh, right, I get it. THAT's why the video disappear so quickly a while ago.
I guess. It would also explain why you can't search for the lyrics on Google? They're on the EC Wiki though, so it's all good. :D
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://radiofacts.com/elvis-costello-v ... october-9/

Elvis Costello Video Premiere on Qwest TV on October 9
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://radiofacts.com/elvis-costello-v ... october-9/

Elvis Costello Video Premiere on Qwest TV on October 9

Elvis Costello and Michael Leonhart have recorded three songs in quarantine, the latest of which, titled “Shut Him Down,” is scheduled to premiere with an exclusive video on Quincy Jones’ Qwest TV on October 9th. The powerful song features rapper JSWISS and over 50 members of Leonhart’s orchestra, all having recorded the song remotely.

“Shut Him Down” is also included in Costello’s “50 Songs For 50 Days” playlist, a-song-a-day rollout of 50 songs and couplets from his catalog leading up to and including Tuesday, 11/3 (Election Day). The video accompanying the song was directed by Daniel Carlson, and will be available for free on Qwest TV’s Facebook page and YouTube channel on October 9th.