Elvis and The Imposters, Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA, June 10, 2020, rescheduled to 18 August 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and The Imposters, Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA, June 10, 2020, rescheduled to 18 August 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA, June 10, 2020

Post by bronxapostle »

And so it begins....no double bill amphitheatre pairing this summer???
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Does this mean A Face In The Crowd will be done abs dusted ready for production by then ?
I can’t imagine Elvis would tour whilst in the last days of the musical being polished.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

To the shock of no one...

"Elvis Costello and The Imposters' performance at Wolf Trap on Wednesday, June 10 has been postponed. We will provide information on a rescheduled performance date as it becomes available. All current tickets will be honored for the rescheduled performance."

https://www.wolftrap.org/calendar/perfo ... how20.aspx
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Postponed rather than cancelled bodes well!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Postponed rather than cancelled bodes well!
Yes....a venue in Connecticut where i have tickets to see Todd Rundgren on May 27th has rescheduled it, (AND MANY OTHER SHOWS SIMILARLY) for August 22nd!!! Surely, I'll bet that EACH OF US would accept this or a comparable time frame as a back to normal date indeed!! :( :(
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA, June 9, 2021

Post by Man out of Time »

The venue website is advertising the show as rescheduled for June 9, 2021. All current tickets will be honored for the rescheduled performance.

Whilst one admires the ambition, it does not seem likely that such an event will be possible again by June, even at an outdoor venue, but we shall see.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Man out of Time

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA, June 10, 2020, rescheduled to 18 August 2022

So this outdoor concert should now take place on August 18, 2022. Elvis and The Imposters will be joined by Charlie Sexton, with Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets in support. Nicole Atkins may also make an appearance.

Only lawn tickets are available here, presumably because all the seats were sold for the show(s) in 2020 and 2021.

Who's finally going?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Wolf Trap, Vienna, VA, June 10, 2020, rescheduled to 18 August 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Who’s going?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

There are some comments on FB from folk who bought tickets for this show when it was first on sale for the June 2020 date, who have now been told that their seats have been mistakenly sold to someone else. They have been offered less good seats for the show (at short notice). This is not good. Clearly it has been difficult for venues where COVID has led to the postponement of shows until years after the original date, but there is no excuse for overbooking.

Lawn seats are still available, but fixed seats are all sold out (possibly more than once).

An article published at Park Life DC on July 27, 2022 previewed this show thus:

Preview: Elvis Costello & The Imposters w/ Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets @ Wolf Trap, 8/18/22

"Elvis Costello & The Imposters celebrate the release of their widely acclaimed new album, The Boy Named If, with summer tour titled The Boy Named If & Other Favourites. The band appear at the Filene Center at Wolf Trap on Thursday, Aug. 18.

The show includes an opening set by Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets, marking the first time since 1989 that Elvis and Nick have toured together.

Costello and his band, The Imposters — Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, and Davey Faragher — will once again be joined on stage by Texas guitarist Charlie Sexton, who also played the 21 date, Hello Again Tour in October 2021, when six of the then unreleased songs, now heard on The Boy Named If, were performed for the very first time to incredible audience reactions. In the OC Register, Peter Larsen wrote that “over the course of 26 songs and nearly two-and-a-half hours, Elvis Costello and the Imposters delivered a terrific night that time-traveled across Costello’s songbook, past, present, and future.”

The Imposters have been Costello’s bandmates for the last 20 years or as Costello put it recently, “Pete Thomas, Steve Nieve, and I have been spinning around like your favorite 45rpm for forty-five years and let’s be clear, Davey Faragher isn’t anyone’s deputy. The Attractions could have no more made The Boy Named If than we have any desire to time travel back to the 1970s. This is happening right now in 2022, we are coming at you, big as life and twice as ugly.”

Costello first met Nick Lowe in a pub opposite The Cavern in Liverpool in 1972 at a time when the then “D.P. MacManus” and his partner Allan Mayes — as the duo “Rusty” — were performing many of the songs Lowe had written for the band Brinsley Schwarz.

By 1976, Nick Lowe was house producer and recording artist at Stiff Records — a small independent label in London. The newly named “Elvis Costello” was their first signing.

Lowe went on to produce Elvis’ albums My Aim Is True, This Year’s Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy, and Trust in just four years, during which Rockpile (with both Lowe and Dave Edmunds) were part of a US package tour playing between Mink Deville and Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

Nick Lowe returned to the studio for Elvis and the Attractions last album of the ’80s, Blood & Chocolate, before playing bass on “Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)” in 1990 and then on five tracks of the 1993 album, Brutal Youth.

Nick Lowe’s songs have been recorded by Johnny Cash, Tommy McLain, Sir Rod Stewart, Engelbert Humperdinck, and Solomon Burke. His song “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love & Understanding,” first recorded by the Brinsleys in 1974, covered by Costello in 1978, and sung by Curtis Stigers on one of biggest selling movie soundtrack albums of all-time, The Bodyguard.

Buy your tickets online now!

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
w/ Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets
Thursday, Aug. 18
Gates @ 6pm
$37-$77
All ages"

Who will be there tonight?

MOOT
Man out of Time

There is a partial setlist of 13 songs only at Setlist.fm.

Can anyone who was there add to or improve on that?

MOOT
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Man out of Time wrote:There is a partial setlist of 13 songs only at Setlist.fm.

MOOT
They’re leaving out The Man You Love to Hate and What if I can’t Give You Anything But Love

Only 17 songs!
krm

Post by krm »

No EC/NL Alison performance. A bit surprising.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

krm wrote:No EC/NL Alison performance. A bit surprising.

No Alison at all. Really surprising. Wanted to see it with Nick, but at least wanted to hear Charlie on guitar.
Man out of Time

FAVEHOUR wrote:
Man out of Time wrote:There is a partial setlist of 13 songs only at Setlist.fm.

MOOT
They’re leaving out The Man You Love to Hate and What if I can’t Give You Anything But Love

Only 17 songs!
Thanks FaveHour. Someone has added "The Man You Love To Hate" to the setlist at Setlist.fm. Can you remember where "What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?" came in the running order? Was it after "Penelope Halfpenny" perhaps?

MOOT
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Yes it was
I think Chelsea was before Magnificent Hurt

dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Yes it was

dave
I could fix that t setlist
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Yes it was

dave
Ok Dave.. I added WHAT IF in the slot after Penny 1/2penny. But as it is there Mag Hurt played before Chelsea, I will leave it be that way for now
verbal gymnastics

I read a somewhat less than flattering review which criticised Elvis voice and the sound. Perhaps that had something to do with the short setlist.
Man out of Time

Review by Mark Engleson published at Park Life DC on August 22, 2022. Park Life DC claims to be "DC's biggest blog for concert reviews". It's got nothing to do with your Vorsprung durch Technik, you know.

"Live Review: Elvis Costello & The Imposters w/ Nick Lowe and Los Straitjackets @ Wolf Trap — 8/18/22

At the end of his recent set with The Imposters at Wolf Trap, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Elvis Costello was joined by the man he called his hero, Nick Lowe, for the last two songs. Elvis wrote “Indoor Fireworks,” but Lowe was responsible for the show’s last number, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding).”

He wrote it during his tenure with Brinsley Schwarz in the early ’70s. The band has held up well to critical scrutiny over the last five decades, but, like many of their peers in the British pub rock movement, they had limited commercial success. Costello became hip to Lowe’s work, though, and, in his memoir, Unfaithful Music, he writes about seeking out Lowe to get advice from him. Their relationship became closer when Lowe went to work as the house producer for Stiff Records, the label responsible for the British punk movement. There he worked on records by The Damned, Graham Parker, Wreckless Eric, and, of course Costello — his first five albums. On his third album, Costello dusted off “What’s So Funny,” making it the closing track of the album.

If you’re writing about this song, you have to bring up The Bodyguard. Curtis Stigers recorded it for the soundtrack — which became and remains the bestselling film soundtrack of all time, in the ballpark of 45 million copies. Lowe received a royalty check for just under a million dollars, and this was in the early ’90s. That money allowed him to record The Impossible Bird the way it needed to be done. The album drew critical acclaim and breathed new life into his career.

In his opening set for Costello at Wolf Trap on Aug. 18, Nick broke out one of those songs, “I Live On A Battlefield,” a devastating portrayal of a couple falling apart.

Lowe’s opening set had its share of pageantry. He’s backed by Los Straitjackets, a surf rock revival band who wear lucha libre (Mexican wrestling) masks. That sounds like it could be a joke, but it’s not. These guys can really play. Lowe has a uniquely sardonic, off-kilter wit, tied to a love of old-school rock and pop, and that makes for a pretty good match with this band.

Lowe has an extensive songbook, and he had limited time on stage. He started out with some of his more recent material — recent in terms of a 50+ year career: “So It Goes,” “Raging Eyes,” and “Without Love.” He’s said that “You Inspire Me” was itself inspired by the movie As Good As It Gets, where Jack Nicholson says the line, “You make me want to be a better man.”

After “Tokyo Bay,” a cut from a recent EP, he left the stage to make a quick costume stage, and Los Straitjackets took over, playing a few instrumentals. When Lowe returned, they performed “Trombone,” then delivered on a few of his much older, classic cuts to close the set: “Half A Boy and Half A Man,” “Cruel To Be Kind,” and “When I Write The Book.” That last one was a cut with Rockpile, a band Nick was in with Welsh roots rocker Dave Edmunds; they did some excellent work, and they have an interesting, complicated history as a result of music business legal machinery.

If he’s only had brief flirtations with mainstream success, Lowe’s place in history is secure. He’s a major figure in pub rock, punk, and Americana. Costello has achieved that mainstream success while working in, if anything, an even more diverse range of musical styles: His catalog includes collaborations with pop composer Burt Bacharach and legendary New Orleans composer and producer Allen Toussaint. Costello’s father, Russ, sang in big bands; one of the delights of his memoir is seeing just how involved he was in that world, even as his parents split up in the face of his father’s infidelity.

The constraints of live performance prohibited Elvis from displaying his full musical range. One of his more recent releases, Spanish Model, features guest artists covering This Year’s Model, but with the lyrics in Spanish; obviously, it’s not practical to recreate it on the road. But Elvis did have an excellent vocalist with him in Nicole Atkins, who we covered here last month, and who makes fantastic music of her own. Nicole joined Elvis at the front of the stage during the middle of the set to duet on “My Most Beautiful Mistake” and “Still Too Soon To Know.” That first song hails from Elvis Costello & The Imposter’s 2022 album, The Boy Named If, released by EMI Records.

Speaking of who he had with him, Charlie Sexton, who’s also worked extensively with Bob Dylan and a whole slew of critical favorites, played guitar. I can confirm that Charlie is still quite tall, very good looking, and has exceptional hair. If you saw the movie Blaze, you’d know him for having played Townes Van Zandt. Steve Nieve, who was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Imposters, played keyboards and synthesizers.

If Costello’s musical style is diverse, he lyrics are just as broad. “Watching the Detectives” is a noir story. “Either Side of the Same Town” is from The Delivery Man, his 2004, rootsy, maybe even Americana concept album about a murderer who gets out of prison. This is where I came on board with Elvis; I saw him at Austin City Limits that year (along with Patty Griffin, Sheryl Crow, Joe Ely, and The Neville Brothers). It’s his spin on the classic trope of the two sides of the tracks.

People give John Darnielle (The Mountain Goats) rightful credit for making an entire album entirely about professional wrestling (Beat The Champ makes you feel for the human stories of the men behind the wrestlers, and it’s great), but Costello had already written a song influenced by the “sport” of kings: “The Man You Love To Hate.” When Costello — birth name Declan MacManus — was a child, there was a wrestler in the local circuit — and these things were very, very local — “The Man You Love To Hate” Mick MacManus. People would ask his grandmother if they were related, and she hated it. It stuck in his head though, “The Man You Love To Hate.” Earlier in his career, he even came to identify with it — he was something of an enfant terrible.

As terrible as he may have been, there’s no denying the deep feeling in his songs, like “Penelope Halfpenny,” about a teacher he had around the age of 13. That one is from this year’s LP, The Boy Named If. Before the song, he described the teacher as somewhat out of her element, unlikely to remain in the field for any length of time. But though she was unsuited to the job, she instilled in the students a sense that would everything would be okay if they would just be kind.

The set featured many of Elvis classic hits — “Mystery Dance” from My Aim Is True, “Pump It Up,” from this Year’s Model, “Accidents Will Happen” and “Green Shirt” from Armed Forces, and some great ballads: “What If I Can’t Give You Anything But Love?” and “Magnificent Hurt.”

I know Elvis has a sense of humor, so I’m going to end with a joke, just for him. In his memoir, he says he never wanted to make My Aim Is Still True. Now that he’s pushing 70, he’s probably happy just to hit the bowl."

Russ MacManus? " Steve Nieve, who was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Imposters" ?

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.thevinyldistrict.com/dc/202 ... trap-8-18/

TVD Live: Elvis Costello with Nick Lowe and Los Straightjackets at Wolf Trap, 8/18
BY ROGER CATLIN | AUGUST 25, 2022

It’s gratifying to have any Elvis Costello concert come around after two years of pandemic postponements. But the one that finally took the stage at Wolf Trap in Virginia last week had the added advantage of being opened by Nick Lowe, his longtime colleague, producer, and influencer.

It was a version of “Surrender to the Rhythm” originated by Lowe’s old band Brinsley Schwarz that was playing as Costello appeared on stage. Costello’s version came on his latest recording, marking 50 years since he and a friend recording under the name Rusty tried to release a record of such covers they did at the time.

Costello told a story about approaching Lowe back then as fans and hopefuls and being shooed off. Eventually Lowe would produce six Costello albums, play bass on a dozen of his songs, and otherwise cross paths through the years.

It was Lowe’s ringing “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding?” that was the climax of the rewarding show with the two trading its memorable, ever-timely verses. Lowe had come back on stage (in a third dashing outfit) to duet on “Indoor Fireworks,” a Costello song that Lowe had released a year before its author did on The King of America. Frankly their harmonies weren’t great, but it was almost touching to see the two together on stage making an effort.

Costello’s headlining set was a freewheeling one for the huge crowd (who looked to be averaging the singer’s age, which turns 68 this week). As such, they wanted to hear songs that ignited his aggressively creative career. They were rewarded with the frequent concert-starter “Accidents will Happen” (likely because of its irresistible opening line, “I just don’t know where to begin”). But also “Green Shirt” and, before long, “Mystery Dance.” In between, he’d fit in songs from this century that few seemed very familiar with, such as “Hetty O’Hara’s Confidential” and “Either Side of the Same Town.”

The band may have been overly loud with a jarring mix; and Costello’s voice was a bit ragged (especially coming after the smooth tones of Lowe’s mellower approach). Early on, he sang low when he used to go high on “Accidents Will Happen.” He came with some mighty talents though from the original Attractions, now performing as the Imposters, with Steve Nieve on keyboards and heavy-hitting Pete Thomas on drums, and Davey Farager, an American who has been part of the band for 20 years, held down bass.

But with Costello himself doing fewer of the guitar leads, he added to the group the Texas journeyman Charlie Sexton, who has played with a number of artists, including Bob Dylan for a three year stint. While Sexton could be counted on for an assured blues fill here and there, he often didn’t have the sting of Costello’s original recordings. Things may have reached its most challenging point during a nine minute version of “Watching the Detectives” that took forays to the Charles Mingus collaboration “Invisible Lady” and the 2018 ballad “Isabelle in Tears.”

Costello was bolstered by the backing vocals of New Jersey’s Nicole Atkins (recently in town on her own headlining tour) stepping up to duet on the new “My Most Beautiful Mistake” and on “Still Too Soon to Know,” one of a couple of songs from 1994’s Brutal Youth (the other being the driving “Just About Glad”)

He found his footing in the second half of his show, doing assured performances of other songs from his 2022 The Boy Named If. He did five altogether, including “The Man You Love to Hate,” “Penelope Halfpenny,” and the terrific “Magnificent Hurt.” At last, here were songs that suited his voice, that the band knew and could infuse with freshness and were introduced with some charm.

Costello suffers from being a bit too prolific—he’s written some 654 songs according to a recent count—and is forced by marketplace demands to go back and forth in concert between his earliest ravers everybody knows and the newest songs few know. Missing are a vast number of works from in between—of his masterful Imperial Bedroom days, more from King of America, or any of the work he’s done with greats from Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint to Paul McCartney.

At least his work with Lowe over the year was featured in grand style. Lowe at 73 seemed at the top of his game if only because his set was so much shorter. His backing by the American instrumental surf rockers Los Straightjackets seemed an odd marriage when they first got together a few years back. By now, though, they are most simpatico, giving a boost to Lowe’s own classics from “So It Goes” to “Cruel to Be Kind,” while adding tasteful backing to his more mature offerings, from “Without Love” and the throbbing ballad “You Inspire Me.”

Lowe left the stage to Los Straightjackets in their Mexican wrestling masks so he could change into another crisp shirt and allow them to rock through their originals “Katanga!” and “University Blvd.,” written about a nearby Beltway exit (guitarist Eddie Angel was once part of the DC rockabilly band scene). It gave a momentary local flavor to an evening otherwise given to English pop specialists.
verbal gymnastics

There a few interesting comments such as the almost touching to see them together making an effort. Making an effort sounds very patronising.

Also the comments about the sound and Elvis’ voice echo my previous post. Kudos though for recognising Isabelle in Tears during Detectives.