Look Now , October 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
MOJO

Re: Look Now: new album announced!

Post by MOJO »

How cute. He is sticking up for his pal without knowing how much stupid is all around us.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

People want different things.

I’ve been a huge Paul Weller fan since 1977 but his last few albums (which I have bought) just don’t do it for me. The way people talk about True Meanings is alien to me.

Good luck to him and he has his followers who get it. I don’t. My choice is that I will listen to future albums and then decide whether or not to buy them.

It’s the same here with Elvis. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s not like the old days; you can try before you buy now.

Don’t hark back to the old days - they were different times. Elvis (nor Paul) are going to listen to you.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Your logic is perfect here VG. I guess i am lucky...I seem to be aging similarly to each of these two gents. I have loved each of Weller's last 5 records and tours. But, i surely understand his stylings are perhaps NOT to everyone's taste. I imagine the same with LOOK NOW. To each his own...enjoy what you enjoy.

P.S. the BOWIE song on TRUE MEANINGS is truly other worldly, both lyrically snd sonically.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... st-760182/

Elvis Costello Explains His Songwriting Secrets
“I haven’t got a lot of time for the false snobbery of hipster music of any kind,” Costello says

The new episode of our podcast, Rolling Stone Music Now, features an extended interview with Elvis Costello, who just released Look Now, his first album in five years. Costello talks about mortality, working with Paul McCartney and learning from Bruce Springsteen, as well as the evolution of his band and his songwriting over the years. To hear the entire discussion, press play below or download and subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.

Some highlights are here. More below: https://megaphone.link/PPY6242809471

Why swapping out one member — Davey Farragher joined on bass in 2001, replacing the Attractions’ Bruce Thomas — made the Imposters a different band altogether.
“The Imposters is a different group than the group I started out with. We have strengths in different areas than that first group, because obviously the three of us that have played together for forty years should’ve learned something, you know? We should have gathered some things and maybe put aside some other qualities of music that seemed all important when we started out. If you just stay with the same playbook, it wouldn’t be very interesting, and Davey brings a lot of different things to it, because he’s a guy who plays with a predominantly rhythmic feel. He can still come up with nice melodic inventions, but that isn’t his main thing. It’s the groove, and he’s a great singer – it’s arguable whether I was a singer early on.”

On Painted From Memory, Costello’s classic 1998 album with Burt Bacharach, and his continuing collaboration with Bacharach
“They weren’t big commercial hits, but people know those tunes nonetheless – ‘God Give Me Strength.’ I Still Have That Other Girl,’ ‘This House is Empty Now,’ and ‘Toledo,’ those particularly. I think the songs that Burt and I wrote on this record are very different. They don’t stretch over such a wide musical compass; they’re much more intimate. The two, ‘Don’t Look Now’ and ‘Photographs Can Lie,’ are entirely his music. I was in a sort of puzzle of how to resolve ‘He’s Given Me Things’ and he suggested a change to the third stanza which changes the harmony, which sort of made that into some kind of bridge, and that allowed us to sustain this sort of slightly claustrophobic music. If we didn’t have that shift that he suggested it perhaps wouldn’t have been as strong a piece. That’s one of my favorite pieces on the record.”

On being inspired to write 1980’s “Temptation” at a Bruce Springsteen show
“Bruce has got all of this mythology, and then I saw him in Nashville [in 1978] when all of that really had traction… I could see a trap that was being laid, and I suppose that’s as close to writing songs about the predicament of the performer as I did earlier on. I remember I wrote a few songs about what I’d observed around my dad. [1986’s] ‘Suit of Lights’ was inspired by watching my dad play around the clubs and this sort of loneliness and the presumption of the audience and the lack of respect, ’cause it’s still a working job! You’re still doing a job! You don’t come up to somebody and go ‘You see that pencil there? I’m going to knock it out of your hand. Now how good are you at writing?’ Nobody does that to you, and that’s not self-pity. I’m just saying that it’s acknowledging that it’s still a job. There’s part of it that’s a job, and there’s the other part of it that’s massively over-rewarded.”

On the influence of his journeyman musician father
“I don’t know. It does puzzle me that I knew so much about the workings of the business like from childhood. I could tell that there were people who were quite calculated. There were opportunities that came to my father that perhaps weren’t ones he should have taken. He was just trying to make a living, so I don’t judge anybody. I might’ve expressed strident opinions about things at different times about fashions of music. But in the long run, I tend to think, ‘Well you know, they’re just doing their job, whatever it is.’ I haven’t got a lot of time for the false snobbery of hipster music of any kind, whether it be jazz or rock and roll, because it’s just like, you don’t have the guts to try – that’s what it is, really. You’re holding yourself back because you think you’re going to be judged by some little chorus of people who couldn’t do what you’re doing anyway, so what does it matter?”

Download and subscribe to Rolling Stone Music Now, hosted by Brian Hiatt, on iTunes or Spotify, and tune in Fridays at 1 p.m. ET to hear the show broadcast live on Sirius XM’s Volume, channel 106.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Stuart Gardner

Post by Stuart Gardner »

sweetest punch, thanks very much for bringing this to my attention, and for quoting some highlights. I'm eager to hear the whole thing.
Thanks again!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... -2018.html

The 50 Best Songs of 2018
2018, you were something. These are the songs that got us through the year.

(...)
46. Elvis Costello, “Under Lime”
Elvis Costello has always had a talent for writing songs that you feel with your whole body, and “Under Lime” might be his most orgasmic yet. Following up with the “Jimmie” we left “standing in the rain” on National Ransom, Costello delivers a peppy, poppy homage to an illicit backstage tryst between the older showman and the daffy young assistant on a low-budget “Mystery Guest” TV show. Costello’s vocals are satin-sinister, sweet as honey on one line and a dangerous purr in the next, and Pete Thomas’ clockwork drumming keeps everyone in check. But it’s Steve Nieve who steals the show with a ragtime piano that hits its frantic, fiery peak at the tail end of the last verse, and the song ends in a glorious shudder. I’m not ashamed to say I actually swooned when I heard him play it live this past November.
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.volkskrant.nl/cultuur-media ... ~bd6b6bbc/

Elvis Costello heeft een nieuw album met vlijmscherpe teksten
interview Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello brengt ook op zijn nieuwe album tragedies terug tot de menselijke maat. Hij gidst ons langs gangsters, de prachtige melodieën van My Fair Lady en zijn home town Liverpool, waar ineens van alles te beleven is.

Elvis Costello: ‘ waarom zou je een song willen schrijven die alleen maar verwijst naar de krant van gisteren?’ Beeld Els Zweerink

Het mag dan acht jaar geleden dat National Ransom uitkwam, het laatste reguliere album van Elvis Costello, denk vooral niet dat hij al die tijd heeft stil gezeten. Hij maakte deel uit van het Lost On The River-project waarbij een groep musici nooit afgemaakte of op muziek gezette Bob Dylanteksten voltooide en opnam. Zijn eerste musical A Face In The Crowd is een work in progress en de 64-jarige singer-songwriter toert totdat hij er bij neervalt. Dat gebeurde bijna letterlijk.

Toen hij deze zomer in Nederland was voor zijn laatste tournee, moest hij de daaropvolgende shows afzeggen. Er was kanker geconstateerd. Na een succesvol verlopen operatie is hij genezen verklaard.

Costello kan weer aan de slag. Gisteren verscheen het album Look Now van een van de beste songschrijvers van het postpunk-tijdperk. De man die net zo goed het venijn kan spuwen van Less Than Zero als grossiert in melodieuze meezingers als Oliver’s Army; die net zo goed met Burt Bacharach akoestische zwijmelliedjes componeert als chillt met hiphopband The Roots.

Wat hij nog niet gedaan had: een album opnemen met zijn vaste begeleidingsband precies zoals hij dat wilde. Tuurlijk, Imperial Bedroom uit 1982 is een klassieker. Maar Costello wilde de muzikale vrijheid van dat album nu eens combineren met de emotionele zeggingskracht van Painted From Memory dat hij opnam met Bacharach in 1998.

Dus sloeg de scherpste pen van popmuziek weer aan het schrijven. En een van de opvallendste nummers van Look Now is I Let The Sun Go Down. De titel is ontleend aan de uitspraak dat het Britse koninkrijk ooit zo veel van de wereldbol bestreek dat de zon er nooit onder ging. Citaatje: ‘I’m the man who lost the British empire. Yes I am the one who let the sun go down.’

En dat op melancholische strijkers die het ondraaglijke verlies onderstrepen. Misschien een protestsong van een Costello-personage dat de machtsafbrokkeling van zijn Britse eiland niet kan aanzien? De Brexit wellicht? Hmm, niet per se. Costello: ‘Ik heb dat nummer vijf jaar geleden al geschreven. Wat mij betreft is het tijdloos. De Britten hebben al zo vaak gerouwd om de teloorgang van hun Great Britannia. En ja, nu proberen ze weer krampachtig aan die mythe van vervlogen grandeur vast te houden. ‘

Dus laten we het vooral ook geen protestsong noemen. Want als er iets in de kunsten aan het hier en nu gebonden is, dan is het wel de protestsong.

Costello: ‘Ze zijn te expliciet en daardoor te beperkt. Ik bedoel, waarom zou je een song willen schrijven die alleen maar verwijst naar de krant van gisteren? Waarom zou je geen song willen schrijven met eeuwigheidswaarde?’ Zijn repertoire kent genoeg nummers met maatschappelijk engagement. ‘Maar ik probeer me altijd meer te verdiepen in songpersonages. Door te proberen hun opvattingen te begrijpen, ook al staan die mijlenver van me af, kan ik iets wezenlijks zeggen over menselijk gedrag dat een protestsong overstijgt.’

Costello brengt soms tragedies terug tot die onbeholpen menselijke maat en maakt ze daarmee des te schrijnender.

Hij noemt de ik-figuur in I Let The Sun Go Down On Me ‘iemand die heeft geïnvesteerd in een idee dat voor hem volstrekt waardeloos is.’

‘Een keizerrijk is zoiets vreemds om achter te staan als je zelf niet de keizer bent. Als gewone burger heb je er geen controle over, je kunt het succes niet claimen. En toch ziet hij het als een persoonlijke mislukking dat het rijk afbrokkelt.’

De ontstemdheid over het verlies van een imperium teruggebracht tot de verbeten teleurstelling van de machteloze eenling. Costello brengt soms tragedies terug tot die onbeholpen menselijke maat en maakt ze daarmee des te schrijnender. Hij kruipt net zo makkelijk in de huid van een ongewenst zwanger tienermeisje met een incestverleden (Unwanted Number op Look Now) als van een scheepsbouwer die tijdens de Falklandsoorlog meebouwt aan fregatten waarop zijn eigen zoon kan sneuvelen (Shipbuilding, 1982). Maar nergens wordt hij expliciet.

‘Het loont als je als songschrijver de moeite neemt je te verdiepen in wat mensen beweegt, zonder je vast te pinnen op feiten en data. Het verhaal dat je vertelt, wordt daardoor persoonlijk én universeel.’

1. Componist: Beethoven

‘Om gezondheidsredenen, waarvan je op de hoogte bent, moest ik eerder dit jaar shows van mijn tournee afzeggen. Van de dokter moest ik de tijd nemen om goed uit te rusten. Muziek hielp daarbij. Maar om een of andere reden wilde ik even niets met zang beluisteren. Het eerste wat ik deed toen ik thuiskwam, was teruggrijpen naar Beethoven. En dan vooral de strijkkwartetten en de late pianosonates. Ik ben gek op de uitvoeringen van de legendarische Russische pianist Svjatoslav Richter. Ik heb nog zijn laatste twee concerten in Londen gezien in de jaren negentig. Die nimmer aflatende concentratie op de muziek, de virtuositeit. Het waren de bijzonderste muzikale gebeurtenissen die ik in mijn leven mocht meemaken.’

‘Ik ben gek op zijn strijkkwartetten en late pianosonates.’ Componist Beethoven schrijft hierboven met serieuze blik

2. Musical: My Fair Lady

‘Ik heb iets met Rodgers en Hart, het songschrijversduo dat begin 20ste eeuw veel musicals heeft gecomponeerd. Ik leerde hun liedjes eerst in jazzuitvoeringen kennen: My Funny Valentine, Blue Moon, Little Girl Blue. Mijn favoriete musical is My Fair Lady, van Rodgers en Hammerstein. Het verhaal is een tikkie dubieus als je er met hedendaagse ogen naar kijkt: geleerde meneer pikt een kansarm bloemenmeisje op en gaat de weddenschap aan dat hij haar met wat training kan laten doorgaan voor iemand van adel. Maar de liedjes zijn ongelooflijk mooi. Vooral I’ve Grown Accustomed to her Face. Dat heeft een prachtige melodie.’

Actrice Audrey Hepburn poseert voor de film: 'My Fair Lady' in 1964. Elvis Costello: ‘Ongelooflijk mooie liedjes, al is het verhaal tegenwoordig een tikje dubieus.’

3. Boek: Me, The Mob and The Music – Tommy James

‘Ik lees echt niet zoveel als mensen vaak denken. Dit is bij lange na geen literair meesterwerk, maar het is wel het laatste boek dat ik gelezen heb waarbij ik van de ene verbazing in de andere viel. Tommy James, de Amerikaanse zanger die hits had in de jaren zestig met Mony Mony en Crimson and Clover vertelt het verhaal van zijn carrière bij het platenlabel Roulette dat behoorlijk dik was met de maffia. Het is beangstigend te lezen hoe sinister dat wereldje in elkaar steekt. Ik zelf heb in de business wel een aantal figuren ontmoet met duistere reputaties, mensen die zogezegd connected zijn, maar James belandde er midden in. Het had zo zijn gevolgen. Als James een nummer wilde opnemen waar het label niet de rechten op had, werd er even gebeld met de rechthebbenden en werd die meegedeeld: ‘Deze is nu van ons.’ Klaar. Einde discussie. Ja echt, het leest als het script voor een gangsterfilm.’

Me, The Mob and The Music van Tommy James.

4. Restaurant: Maray

‘Mijn 91-jarige moeder maakt het niet al te best meer, dus was ik kortgeleden een paar weken in Liverpool om haar op te zoeken. Ik ben er niet geboren maar ik ben er wel opgegroeid en mijn familie komt er vandaan. Het voelt als mijn home town en ik ken het vrij goed. Ik was dan ook verbaasd dat er zoveel nieuwe hippe uitgaansgelegenheden waren opgekomen. Een daarvan is een eethuisje dat Maray heet. Ze serveren mezze, zoals Spaanse tapas, maar dan op zijn Libanees. Het eten is erg goed en de tent wordt gerund door jonge mensen. Er was nooit zo veel te beleven in Liverpool dus het vervult me wel met enige trots dat ik nu tegen kennissen kan zeggen: hé, als je in Liverpool bent, moet je daar eens naar toe.’

‘Er zijn in Liverpool zoveel hippe uitgaansgelegenheden gekomen.’

5. Film: Cold War

‘Ook in Liverpool zag ik in een filmhuis Cold War. Een zwart-witfilm van de Poolse regisseur Pawel Pawlikowski die dit jaar is uitgekomen. Het gaat over een muziekgezelschap dat probeert te overleven in het communistische Polen van 1949. Het repertoire, dat voornamelijk uit volksmuziek bestaat, moet nu in het teken staan van de revolutie en Stalin. Er ontwikkelt zich een romance tussen de baas van het gezelschap en een van de zangeressen. Ik zal niet te veel van de plot verklappen, maar een van de twee vlucht naar het Westen. En wat zo knap is, de volksmuziek die je in Polen hoort ondergaat, net als het personage, een transformatie. Je hoort in een Parijse jazzclub dezelfde melodie maar dan gearrangeerd voor jazzkwintet. Fantastisch. En dan de broeierige machtsspelletjes tussen de twee hoofdfiguren.

De film: Cold War. ‘Over een muziekgezelschap dat probeert te overleven in het communistische Polen van 1949. Fantastisch.’

'Vooruit, één dingetje nog om die intensiteit te illustreren. Er gaat het gerucht dat de zangeres haar vader heeft vermoord. Op een gegeven moment vraagt zij aan haar baas: ‘Ben je in mij geïnteresseerd of in mijn stem?’

‘Hij: ‘Heb je echt je vader vermoord?’

‘Zij: ‘Hij dacht dat ik mijn moeder was, dus gebruikte ik een mes om hem het verschil te laten zien.’

Costello: ‘Nou, als dat niet nieuwsgierig maakt.’

6. Plaat: Rosanne Cash – She Remembers Everything

‘Deze is misschien een tikje onbeschaamd omdat ik er zelf, met Kris Kristofferson en Rosanne, op meezing. Maar het is maar op één nummer. Het album moet nog dit jaar uitkomen en de nummers erop proberen vanuit een duidelijk vrouwelijk perspectief iets te zeggen over de breekbare wereld waarin we leven. Het zijn persoonlijke poëtische liedjes die klinken alsof ze in een staat tussen dromen en waken zijn opgenomen. Alsof ze uit een schaduw proberen los te komen en deel willen uitmaken van je leven. Ontroerend.’

Rosanne Cash - She Remembers Everything.

7. Voetbalteam: Tranmere Rovers

‘FC Liverpool is de grote club waar ik aanhanger van ben. Maar ik heb ook een zwak voor Tranmere Rovers, een clubje in Birkenhead, een plaatsje tegenover Liverpool, aan de andere kant van de rivier de Mersey. Het komt deels voort uit jeugdsentiment. Mijn grootvader was al supporter. Maar ook omdat de club nog dat onbekommerde heeft dat je allang niet meer met de sport associeert. Voetbal is natuurlijk een mega-industrie geworden waarin het grote geld regeert. Dan kom je met wat vrienden bij zo’n kleine wedstrijd waar je nog echt de gemeenschapszin voelt. Samen met een paar duizend man kijken naar een ouderwets, haast naïef potje voetballen. Het is verfrissend om dat weer eens mee te maken.’

‘Een kleine club vlakbij Liverpool die nog dat onbekommerde van vroeger heeft. Verfrissend.’

8. Fotograaf: Anton Corbijn

‘Mede omdat hij de eerste fotograaf is geweest die mij in mijn carrière heeft gefotografeerd. Nee, niet de cover van mijn debuutalbum maar wel een foto van hetzelfde jaar, 1977. Ik was naar Amsterdam gekomen om daar een fotoshoot te doen en verbleef in het kleinste hotelkamertje waarin ik ooit heb gezeten. Anton moest zich in de klerenkast proppen om een beetje behoorlijk plaatje te schieten. Maar het is prachtig geworden. Ik languit op het bed met mijn gitaar op schoot en een Vox-versterkertje ernaast. Ik heb hem als cover gebruikt voor mijn autobiografie Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink.’
———————————
CV Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello is op 25 augustus 1954 geboren in Londen als Declan Macmanus.

Costello begon zijn muzikale carrière in de Londense pubrockscene van de jaren zeventig. Later dat decennium werd hij geschaard onder Britse punk- en new wavescene.

1977 – Debuutalbum My Aim Is True. Costello’s eerste plaat wordt alom lovend besproken.

1978 – Op This Year’s Model, Costello’s tweede album, speelt begeleidingsband The Attractions voor het eerst mee.

1979 – Oliver’s Army van zijn derde album Armed Forces haalt de nummer twee positie in de Engelse charts.

1982 – Release van Imperial Bedroom, Volgens critici Costello’s beste album.

1983 – Costello’s Shipbuilding wordt een hit in de versie van zanger Robert Wyatt.

1984 – Na spanningen tussen Costello en Attractionsbassist Bruce Thomas kondigt Costello aan tijdelijk te stoppen met muziek maken.

1986 – Release van King of America waarop Costello samenwerkt met de begeleiders van Elvis Presley.

1989 – Costello heeft met Veronica, een nummer dat hij schreef met Paul McCartney, zijn grootste Amerikaanse hit.

1993 – Release van The Juliet Letters, een samenwerking tussen Costello en het strijkkwartet The Brodsky Quartet.

1996 – The Attractions worden opgeheven. Toetsenist Steve Nieve en drummer Pete Thomas gaan op in Costello’s nieuwe begeleidingsband The Imposters.

1998 – Release van Painted From Memory, een samenwerking met songschrijver en producer Burt Bacharach.

1999 – Costello’s cover van Aznavours She wordt gebruikt voor de film Notting Hill. Het nummer wordt internationaal een grote hit.

2001 – Costello produceert en zingt op een album vol popsongs van de klassiek geschoolde zangeres Anne Sofie von Otter.

2003 – Elvis Costello and the Attractions wordt bijgezet in de Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2004 – Uitvoering van Costello’s eerste orkestrale werk Il Sogno. Een ballet geënt op Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

2006 – Nadat orkaan Katrina haar verwoesting aanricht in New Orleans neemt Costello met producer en songschrijver Allen Toussaint, afkomstig uit New Orleans, het album The River in Reverse op.

2008 – Costello krijgt een eredoctoraat van de University of Liverpool.

2013 – Release van Wise Up Ghost, een album opgenomen met de hiphopband The Roots.

Costello is getrouwd met de Canadese jazz-zangeres Diana Krall. Ze hebben samen een tweeling, Dexter en Frank. Costello heeft nog een zoon Matthew uit een eerder huwelijk.

Elvis Costello – Look Now (Concord Records)

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Lovely to see Elvis looking cool and happy - stay that way a long time please !
Sugar Mouse

Post by Sugar Mouse »

Just joined the group. Thanks for approving me. Big EC fan and loving the new album. Very impressed to see such an impressive album so deep into a career. For me, the new album is up there with his best albums (the first five albums, Imperial, Painted, etc.). Wondering if others see the new album as a "top tier" EC album?
jardine

Post by jardine »

Sugar! Yes, absolutely top tier and I agree, 40+ years into a career and having a career equal, if not career best, is just such a lovely thing. Welcome. It is so interesting how a new arrival like this cascades back through the whole forty years, turning some songs into precedents, highlight this and that. Just like how, in a family tree, the next arrival is never just "one more" added on but opens up the whole lineage all over again.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.lexpress.fr/culture/musique ... 50872.html

Elvis Costello a-t-il trouvé la chanson parfaite?
Après un silence discographique de cinq ans, le chanteur anglais revient avec "Look Now".

Du chanteur énervé des débuts, en 1977, à son rôle d'explorateur des arcanes de la musique populaire anglo-saxonne, Elvis Costello aura poursuivi une même quête : écrire la chanson parfaite, irréfutable. A cette fin, Declan Patrick MacManus, son vrai nom, n'hésite pas à frotter son savoir faire à ceux d'illustres aînés - un album avec Allen Toussaint en 2006, un autre avec Burt Bacharah en 1998, lequel cosigne trois des titres de Look Now.

Look Now survient après cinq années de silence, un intervalle anormalement long pour un artiste aussi fécond. L'attente en valait la peine : Costello a assemblé 12 bijoux. Under Lime, d'entrée, impressionne par son énergie, sa mélodie opulente, l'arrivée imprévisible d'une bourrasque de cuivres, tout comme Burnt Sugar is so Bitter (coécrit par Carole King) et son refrain de voix féminines, qui égale les grandes heures funk de Bowie.

Les titres lents, tout aussi fignolés, s'intercalent avec aisance, telle la ballade soul Suspect my Tears, d'un classicisme impeccable. La plume du garçon lui permet d'incarner des personnages féminins (He's Given me Things) aussi bien qu'un nostalgique de l'Empire britannique (I Let The Sun Go Down), la profusion de mots s'équilibrant toujours par l'émotion du chant. Beatles, Brill Building, Broadway, Elvis Costello couvre tous les terrains et délivre un cours magistral de songwriting pop à l'usage des générations futures.

La note de L'Express : 18/20.
————————————————-
Did Elvis Costello find the perfect song?
After a five-year record silence, the English singer returns with "Look Now".

From an upbeat singer who began in 1977 to exploring the arcana of popular Anglo-Saxon music, Elvis Costello pursued the same quest: to write the perfect, irrefutable song. To this end, Declan Patrick MacManus, his real name, does not hesitate to rub his know-how to those of illustrious seniors - an album with Allen Toussaint in 2006, another with Burt Bacharah in 1998, which co-authored three of the titles of Look Now.

Look Now comes after five years of silence, an unusually long interval for such a prolific artist. The wait was worth it: Costello has assembled 12 jewels. Under Lime's entry, impresses with her energy, her opulent melody, the unpredictable arrival of a flurry of brass, just like Burnt Sugar is so Bitter (co-written by Carole King) and her chorus of female voices, which equals Big funk hours of Bowie.

Slow titles, just as fancy, are interposed with ease, such as the soul ballad Suspect my Tears, an impeccable classicism. The pen of the boy allows him to embody female characters (He's Given Me Things) as well as a nostalgic of the British Empire (I Let The Sun Go Down), the profusion of words always balancing with emotion some singing. Beatles, Brill Building, Broadway, Elvis Costello covers all terrains and delivers a masterful songwriting pop lesson for use by future generations.

The rating of L'Express: 18/20.
OnesNamedAlfie

Post by OnesNamedAlfie »

Sugar Mouse wrote:Just joined the group. Thanks for approving me. Big EC fan and loving the new album. Very impressed to see such an impressive album so deep into a career. For me, the new album is up there with his best albums (the first five albums, Imperial, Painted, etc.). Wondering if others see the new album as a "top tier" EC album?
Welcome.

Upper mid-tier for me. Everything from 77 to 86 except Almost Blue, Goodbye Cruel World and Punch the Clock are superior in my opinion, and I’d also place Painted From Memory, All This Useless Beauty and the underrated River in Reverse above it. I feel Look Now falls two strong songs short of that crop of albums.
jardine

Post by jardine »

Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

Nice! I especially enjoyed watching Steve watch Elvis around the 4:00 mark--looking for cues, watching, waiting...
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

At #35 in Rolling Stone’s 50 Best albums of 2018: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... um-764173/

Elvis Costello, ‘Look Now’

Elvis Costello billed Look Now as a cross between his 1982 masterstroke, Imperial Bedroom, and his collaborations with songwriting impresario Burt Bacharach, but he undersold it. That’s because he’s grown into his music. So where Imperial Bedroom was the work of a precocious 20-something, Look Now — with its jazzy orchestrations and intellectual turns of phrase — reflects Costello’s true, earned world-weariness. He narrates the story of a letchy singer on the Beatlesesque “Under Lime,” he’s a scorned woman in love on the soulful “Unwanted Number” and he keeps a stiff upper lip in the face of sadness on the Motown-influenced “Suspect My Tears.” Bacharach and Carole King co-wrote a couple of tunes with him, and the production is tight and nuanced, making it the sort of record he always aspired to.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

sweetest punch wrote:https://journalstar.com/entertainment/m ... a1631.html
(Not available in Europe)
Elvis Costello returns to sophisticated pop on 'Look Now'
By L. Kent Wolgamott

A quick one from the catch-up file:

In October, Elvis Costello released “Look Now,” his first album in five years, returning to sophisticated pop along with his band The Imposters (basically the Attractions with a different bassist).

In the album’s press release, Costello nailed the content of “Look Now”: “I knew if we could make an album with the scope of ‘Imperial Bedroom’ and some of the beauty and emotion of (his Burt Bacharach collaboration) ‘Painted From Memory,’ we would really have something.”

And, indeed, he has something — the gorgeous piano ballad “Don’t Look Now,” one of three Bacharach co-writes, slipping in next to the urgent groove of “Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter,” a Carole King co-write; the rhythm-rooted rocker “Unwanted Number” next to the horn, backing vocals and string-drenched “I Let The Sun Go Down,” a tune about the decline of the British Empire next to the funky “Mr. & Mrs. Hush.”

That’s just a brief tour through about a third of a Costello classic that, to be honest, mostly revisits old sounds and styles rather than breaking any new ground, as he attempted on 2013’s team up with The Roots, “Wise Up Ghosts.”

What “Look Now” doesn’t include is anything resembling an early Elvis rave-up. That’s not to say there aren’t some rockers — the opener, “Under Lime,” really packs a punch, albeit not at 150 beats per minute.

That’s perhaps both appropriate and inevitable. Costello’s now 64 and a cancer survivor, a pretty good jump from the angry young man of the '70s.

But no rave ups isn’t some kind of scathing critique of “Look Now,” which is a lovely record that fits, as Costello predicted, alongside the classic “Imperial Bedroom” as a sophisticated pop masterwork.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://variety.com/2018/music/opinion/ ... 203089293/

Chris Willman’s 20 Best Albums of 2018

The year's best long-players included Brandi Carlile, Elvis Costello, Kacey Musgraves, Ariana Grande, Father John Misty, Lily Allen and Pistol Annies.

1. Elvis Costello & the Imposters, “Look Now” (Concord)
There are other Rock & Roll Hall of Famers who are Costello’s songwriting equal — blokes named Bob and Bruce come to mind — but none who’ve maintained such a consistently high level of lyrical and melodic invention over four decades or more. As a record-maker, Costello had pretty much skipped out on quality studio time for the last 10 of those 40 years, focusing instead on touring and still-unproduced stage musicals. But now that he’s back in album mode, all those detours factor into what makes “Look Now” great, from the detailed theatricality of the storytelling to the well-honed precision and swing of the Imposters’ playing. He’s getting Bacharach-to-basics here, in a way — Burt co-wrote three tracks, and it feels like he was a spiritual advisor on some others — but the band’s presence makes it much less genteel than “Painted from Memory.” Think peak-era Dionne Warwick with sharper teeth and a savvy, rocking pit band, and you’ll have an idea of how much sophisticated fun Costello’s comeback is.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://looknow.elviscostello.com
15% Off - Holiday Sale
Through Midnight Dec. 16
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... s-of-2018/

The Best Rock Albums of 2018
(...)
Elvis Costello and the Imposters
Look Now

Elvis Costello’s work in the past several years has been hit and miss, but his first Imposters album in a decade features both pristine production and his best songwriting in recent memory. He’s always had one of rock's best voices, and these songs serve his instrument particularly well. Whether he’s crooning theatrical Burt Bacharach co-writes or belting big-tent rock stompers, Look Now is a portrait of an icon holding court. –Evan Minsker
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/221710/9

The List: Stereoboard's Best Albums Of 2018
(...)

Elvis Costello - Look Now

Look Now’, Elvis Costello’s first solo album in eight years, was an excellent outing for the veteran songwriter that demonstrated his distinctive talent for writing complex narratives full of emotional jeopardy and black humour. It was also music that was keen to please, and while it got a little close to Steely Dan-style yacht rock (Under Lime and Burnt Sugar Is So Bitter, for example), this is a musical group with enough self awareness to maintain a degree of edge. Listen out for Steve Nieve’s distinctively tacky organ sound, which occasionally shows up. It sounds as incongruously crap/compelling today as it did on early work like Watching the Detectives and Pump It Up. // Jacob Brookman
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

At #24 in Q Magazine’s Top 50 Albums of 2018: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/q-magazine ... s-of-2018/
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

One of the best pop albums of 2018, according to Télérama: https://www.telerama.fr/musique/les-mei ... 928236.php