EC 'This Much I Know' in UK's The Observer, Sunday May 1st 2016

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

EC 'This Much I Know' in UK's The Observer, Sunday May 1st 2016

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well blow me down if it ain't Elvis gracing the Observer's regular Sunday magazine feature 'This Much I Know'. The biggest revelation here is his love of curling! This media blitz is to tie in with the Palladium shows, plugged in the footnote. Hope they're good. Photo same Mary McCartney as back cover of that book:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... id-fantasy
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
MOJO

Re: EC 'This Much I Know' in UK's The Observer, Sunday May 1st 2016

Post by MOJO »

Curling! It's like shuffleboard on ice:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg-xnnShJlk
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

The next revelation will be his 'secret' membership in this esteemed organization......

http://vancurl.com/
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis was a bit more light hearted when talking to the same 'paper in 2006 -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ,_May_2006
Jack of All Parades

"I never had big ambitions for my career – things just sort of happened. I started out playing in pubs and clubs. Next thing you know, it was the Hammersmith Palais, where I’d watched my dad play as a little boy. Then I find myself at the Royal Albert Hall. I never imagined any of it." Come on Elvis- no one with a brain is buying that one. Yeah, he just wanted to constantly play the local pub over the decades...........that is just so much 'foderol' coming from such an artist.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
erey

Post by erey »

Jack of All Parades wrote:"I never had big ambitions for my career – things just sort of happened. I started out playing in pubs and clubs. Next thing you know, it was the Hammersmith Palais, where I’d watched my dad play as a little boy. Then I find myself at the Royal Albert Hall. I never imagined any of it." Come on Elvis- no one with a brain is buying that one. Yeah, he just wanted to constantly play the local pub over the decades...........that is just so much 'foderol' coming from such an artist.
And no one with a slightly more than half a brain would take what EC said that way, professor. I think it's obvious from this remove, especially after reading the memoir, that EC never had any overarching career plan. To the dismay of many, no doubt.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I could say the same thing for my career.

I never had a clue what I wanted to do when I was at school. I ended up in a data processing job for 5 years. I changed jobs because me and my mate were drunk in the pub when we were 22 and we decided we would both do it. We both got new jobs and I fell into doing something I really enjoy after a couple of years in my original role. I've stayed here for 29 years and have moved up to second-in-command.

I can't say I had any career plan (or life plan for that matter). In a way that's worked brilliantly. I realise how fortunate I am, especially when I've been to dinners at places like the House of Commons or the House of Lords or travelled both in the UK and abroad and even more so when I see my wife and children every day.

Anyone here had an overarching career plan that's worked?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

[quote="verbal gymnastics"]I can't say I had any career plan (or life plan for that matter). In a way that's worked brilliantly. I realise how fortunate I am, especially when I've been to dinners at places like the House of Commons or the House of Lords or travelled both in the UK and abroad and even more so when I see my wife and children every day.

quote]

Not to mention a memorable meal one evening in NYC 'Lord' VG. Happy and content would be he/her I think who could recite this sentiment and truly mean it.....

SONNET 25
Let those who are in favour with their stars,
Of public honour and proud titles boast,
Whilst I, whom fortune of such triumph bars,
Unlook'd for joy in that I honour most.
Great princes' favourites their fair leaves spread
But as the marigold at the sun's eye;
And in themselves their pride lies buried,
For at a frown they in their glory die.
The painful warrior famoused for worth,
After a thousand victories once foil'd,
Is from the book of honour razed quite,
And all the rest forgot for which he toil'd:
Then happy I, that love and am beloved
Where I may not remove nor be removed.

Shakespeare
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Can I add to the love, family thing that I've also been privileged to make some wonderful friends, especially VG, but also my Liverpool, Yorkshire, South East, Midlands, Scottish, Irish,Belgian, Dutch (and even a drunk Welshman) companions who have made every concert memorable and fun - only the U.S. to tick off - :shock:
PS in my case, career has an entirely different meaning, - madly veering from side to side out of control :wink: