Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack album, Oct 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
OnesNamedAlfie

Re: Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack album, Oct 2015

Post by OnesNamedAlfie »

Hi all

What I'd like to see is a companion Soundtrack, of tracks referenced as influences, inspirations, irreplaceable cornerstones. Preferably hand-selected by the author himself.

I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book so far but would guess such a collection would include such tracks/artists as:-

American Patrol
Wolverine Blues (Jelly Roll Morton)
Please Please Me
Penny Lane
Man of the World
A Case of You (or just about anything from from Joni's Blue)
something Tamla
something early reggae
something Mingus
Van's Domino (or a track from Moondance)
Tears of Rage (Dylan or The Band)
Willin' (or similar, Little Feat)

to be continued...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Looks like the marketing in the U.K. will be extensive

https://twitter.com/hmvDarlington/statu ... 7826616320

Elvis Costello releases his memoir Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink tomorrow. Buy the CD and get £2 off the book!

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm listening to my newly bought - €12.99 - cd copy.

Howler on the sleeve in the Bedlam credit -

Booklet credits - 'Juliette'

On the new releases wall in Dublin -

HMV

Tower

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maybe the new mastering - by Robert Vosgien at Capitol Studios, Hollywood - has given new prominence to some elements of these tracks but I keep thinking I'm hearing alternate takes of some of these songs. I'm hearing phrasing & pauses and the like that I just don't remember. That could hardly be the case. It's probably down to the fact that I haven't given full attention to some of Elvis's studio recordings in a while. There's also the sequencing & juxtaposition. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/Ascension Day/Red Cotton work so well together . I've a vague memory of first hearing them in their original sequence & finding them weak in comparison with tracks before & after. That impression has clearly stuck with me , only to be banished now. By the way , the extra audio is a unlisted track 20 on disc two. Circa four minutes of tales about Macca & Lou Adler and something else I've momentarily forgotten.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I was thinking the same thing, John. (Regarding alternate tracks, not necessarily alternate takes.)

I figured that I had been listening to too much live stuff, and that my aural memory of certain studio tracks was degraded -- but that's not like me, generally. I have a pathological auditory recall, and 3 or 4 things hit me differently, upon first listen.

The only thing that comes to mind right now is Bedlam, but there were others that made me cock my head.

I'll have another go of it tomorrow.

(I Can't Turn It Off is just tremendous.)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I suppose it's logical enough. The last Rhino reissue was in , I think , 2005. I daresay the various single disc/double disc reissues ever since on Hip O etc. are from those early 2000s mixes. The technology used in that process has been developed quite a bit in the ten years since so I imagine that has been applied here. So I suppose we should now be looking for that to be applied to all the albums...!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another error in the booklet - the Suit Of Light details - KOA booklet with correct personnel above -

Though, maybe , it's not a error. All the various line-ups on KOA , including the Attractions, were Confederates of some type.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015/10 ... itain.html

Bryan Adams Debuts at 2 in Britain; Bocelli at 3, Heaton & Abbott at 4, O'Donnell at 5

(...)
Finally, Elvis Costello debuts at 96 with the compilation and companion for his new memoir Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack Album.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:I suppose it's logical enough. The last Rhino reissue was in , I think , 2005. I daresay the various single disc/double disc reissues ever since on Hip O etc. are from those early 2000s mixes. The technology used in that process has been developed quite a bit in the ten years since so I imagine that has been applied here. So I suppose we should now be looking for that to be applied to all the albums...!!
Listened to these CD's a few times now and must admit: the new remastering brings a lot of new details to the foreground.
Songs like Ghost Train, New Lace sleeves, I Want you, London's Brilliant Parade sound a little different than I remembered.
Hope this is the start of a new batch of reissues.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
GetHappy!!

Post by GetHappy!! »

sweetest punch wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:I suppose it's logical enough. The last Rhino reissue was in , I think , 2005. I daresay the various single disc/double disc reissues ever since on Hip O etc. are from those early 2000s mixes. The technology used in that process has been developed quite a bit in the ten years since so I imagine that has been applied here. So I suppose we should now be looking for that to be applied to all the albums...!!
Listened to these CD's a few times now and must admit: the new remastering brings a lot of new details to the foreground.
Songs like Ghost Train, New Lace sleeves, I Want you, London's Brilliant Parade sound a little different than I remembered.
Hope this is the start of a new batch of reissues.
Actually, all the albums up to '86 have been remastered for the recent hi-res releases and Mastered for iTunes versions. No word on who did the mastering, however. I also have a sneaky suspicion the new vinyl reissues are sourced from these new hi-res transfers.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I noticed that more and more Elvis albums have started to become avialable for 24-bit download at http://www.hdtracks.com. I am waiting for a weekly sale coupon from them for KoA and Get Happy!!!
blureu

Post by blureu »

The sequence of songs on both discs is great. Makes for a enjoyable listening experience.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.popmatters.com/review/elvis- ... ack-album/

Elvis Costello: Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack Album

A compilation of rarities, deep cuts, and alternate mixes, Unfaithful Music serves as an excellent soundtrack and companion to Costello's new memoir.

Like his new memoir Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, Elvis Costello’s accompanying soundtrack takes a non-linear approach to sequencing. It’s a showcase of rarities, demos, deep cuts, and live performances spanning Costello’s career. Costello has long been one of music most compelling writers with a catalog to back that up. Longtime fans of Costello have likely double-dipped on a few of his releases in order to collect all the rarities.

Costello’s memoir is as clever and interesting as his songs. The excerpt published on Vulture last month focused on his early days, highlighting songs like “Poison Moon,” which can be found on this compilation, as well his more famous material, such as “Alison”. Costello is literate and insightful. In his earliest days, Costello was an enfant terrible, making proclamations like “The only two things that matter to me, the only motivation for me to write all these songs are revenge and guilt. Those are the only emotions I know about,” or the infamous Bonnie Bramlett incident at the Holiday Inn in Columbus, Ohio in which Costello used racial epithets to describe James Brown and Ray Charles.

Per the Vulture article, it seems Costello made the comments specifically to get under the skin of his drinking companions. “Whatever I did, I did it to provoke a bar fight…Surely this was all understood. Didn’t they know the love I had for James Brown and Ray Charles, whose record of ‘The Danger Zone’ I preferred to watching men walk on the moon?”

Highlights of the compilation include a duet with George Jones on “Stranger in the House”, a country tune that foreshadowed Costello’s 1981 album of country covers, Almost Blue. Costello doesn’t have a traditional sounding country voice, so it’s really a treat to hear “the Possum” sing it. And speaking of famous collaborators, the demo of “Veronica”, co-written with Paul McCartney and one of Costello’s most enduring songs, is particularly endearing.

David Lee Roth famously stated that music critics like Elvis Costello because they look like them. He’s not entirely wrong, I am currently sporting the requisite thick-rimmed glasses and a beard reminiscent of the one Costello had around the release of his challenging 1991 release, Mighty Like a Rose. It’s not the most accessible of his albums, though I’ll go to bat for “The Other Side of Summer”, included here and one of my top Beach Boy pastiches, along with “Pale and Precious” and “At My Most Beautiful”. The selection of good deep cuts like this and “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” make Unfaithful Music eminently listenable and may provide fodder for spirited debate about underrated Elvis Costello songs.

Unfaithful Music is a compilation for die-hards, not where a novice should start as it eschews Costello’s more popular songs for alternate takes and hard-to-find bonus tracks. It runs the length of his career and shows that after more than 35 years into his music career, Costello is still capable of writing affecting and literate songs. It’s the perfect way for fans who might have slept on his newer albums to stop and take stock of his body of work.

Rating: 9 stars (out of 10)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/04/bo ... -new-music

Elvis Costello: Unfaithful Music & Soundtrack Album

Music and words go together. And to go with his memoir Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink, Costello has released this similarly titled companion compilation, which meanders through two discs of career highlights and rarities — including B-sides, an early live version of Accidents Will Happen and a demo of Veronica — that tie in with the book’s themes and stories. Best of all: Two previously unreleased tracks, including a southern-soul collaboration with Kris Kristofferson and Roseanne Cash, an acoustic demo from 1975 that features some lyrics that would appear in later songs, and some spoken-word anecdotes. Now you can hear the rest of the story.

RATING: 4 (out of 5)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

OnesNamedAlfie wrote: What I'd like to see is a companion Soundtrack, of tracks referenced as influences, inspirations, irreplaceable cornerstones. Preferably hand-selected by the author himself. I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book so far but would guess such a collection would include such tracks/artists as:-

American Patrol
Please Please Me
Penny Lane
Man of the World
something Tamla
something early reggae
something Mingus
I remember my joy when reading Mozza's autobiog and finding a Spotify playlist that contained the tracks. There is a Costello Influences one, posted by Vulture, which contains some of your list (Man of the World, Case of You, Mingus, other Van, Tears of Rage, Willin'). The link is this:
https://open.spotify.com/user/vulture_r ... 1IE9K55edm

But the clear necessity is for you to match your wish by creating the definitive Unfaithful Music playlist on there, assuming you're a user!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
OnesNamedAlfie

Post by OnesNamedAlfie »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
OnesNamedAlfie wrote: What I'd like to see is a companion Soundtrack, of tracks referenced as influences, inspirations, irreplaceable cornerstones. Preferably hand-selected by the author himself. I'm only about a quarter of the way through the book so far but would guess such a collection would include such tracks/artists as:-

American Patrol
Please Please Me
Penny Lane
Man of the World
something Tamla
something early reggae
something Mingus
I remember my joy when reading Mozza's autobiog and finding a Spotify playlist that contained the tracks. There is a Costello Influences one, posted by Vulture, which contains some of your list (Man of the World, Case of You, Mingus, other Van, Tears of Rage, Willin'). The link is this:

But the clear necessity is for you to match your wish by creating the definitive Unfaithful Music playlist on there, assuming you're a user!
Thanks. Unfortunately I'm only an occasional Spotifyer due to a prehistoric internet connection but having now finished the book I'm tempted to attempt a 50 track playlist, courtesy of Vulture who has done so much of the heavy lifting with that longlist.
manoutoftime

Post by manoutoftime »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:

American Patrol
Please Please Me
Penny Lane
Man of the World
something Tamla
something early reggae
something Mingus

manoutoftime

Post by manoutoftime »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:

American Patrol
Please Please Me
Penny Lane
Man of the World
something Tamla
something early reggae
something Mingus

Put together this as I read the book.

https://open.spotify.com/user/115978740 ... qNgvcV8FEl
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one! Thanks for that. The utterly maddening thing is I searched for 'costello unfaithful music' when writing the above and zilch. Now I even tried the full EC UF&DI title and still zilch. Spotify's database search is pants. All that work you've done and no-one can come across it, 'no results found only'. Grrrr.
cwr

Post by cwr »

On a more exhaustive note, I made a Playlist covering the bulk of Costello's Vanity Fair "500 Albums You Should Own" list. It's primarily just missing The Beatles and a handful of obscure records, but it ends up being about 10,000 songs:

https://open.spotify.com/user/12854279/ ... SjQHYrXqvx

As well as a stab at his Vanity Fair "24 Hours Of Music" playlist, which ends up being about 44 hours' worth of music:

https://open.spotify.com/user/12854279/ ... rltlXOEUv3
Otis Westinghouse

Haha, 10,000 songs! I'll remember to give that one a listen soon. Even the 692 songs is pretty extreme. I enjoyed tat Vanity Fair article, maybe representative track from each album might be more manageable. I'm struck by how much classical is on there. I suspect he wouldn't do that now.
OnesNamedAlfie

Post by OnesNamedAlfie »

manoutoftime wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:

American Patrol
Please Please Me
Penny Lane
Man of the World
something Tamla
something early reggae
something Mingus

Put together this as I read the book.

https://open.spotify.com/user/115978740 ... qNgvcV8FEl

Really enjoying these playlists. I notice Mina's Un bacio e troppo poco isn't available on Spotify - the Orchestra Volare version on Man Out Of Time's playlist is a nice alternative but for anyone who, like me, just has to have the original, it's now available as a digital download on Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Un-bacio-%C3%A8 ... roppo+poco
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Amazon.com have a limited amount of signed copies for sale -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0170K ... _i=desktop
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

johnfoyle wrote:Amazon.com have a limited amount of signed copies for sale -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0170K ... _i=desktop
Thanks for the tip on this. Even though I already bought one copy, I was happy to order another!
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Uncut Jan '16