Who's going?
The imposter

Re: Elvis, solo, Manchester, 10 June 2015

Post by The imposter »

Me. 2 of 4.. Anyone else ??
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

I'll be there. Hope it is as good as Harrogate.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It will be. Larkin Poe will add another dimension and play some different songs. Their mini set with Elvis in Gateshead was superb.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Larkin Poe post to f/book -

We still got that jet lag stare (haha) - but we're gonna do our best to show the jet lag what's what tonight with Elvis Costello at The Bridgewater Hall in #Manchester || #OnTour
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Results from Manchester

Start time 8:44PM

1 red shoes
2 I Hope You're Happy now
3 Accidents Will Happen
4 Stella Hurt
5 Church Underground
6 Green Shirt
7 Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
8 45 (fluffed intro)-- Oliver's Army
9 Shipbuilding (piano)
10 If You Gotta Make A Fool of Somebody (piano)
11 I Can't Stand Up (piano)
12 Wave A White Flag (seated)
13 Ghost Train (seated)
14 She (seated)
15 Watching The Detectives
16 When I Write The Book / Everyday I Write The Book

Encore 1 (with Larkin Poe)

17 Pads,Paws & Claws
18 Nothing Clings Like Ivy
19 Hidee hidee ho (EC version)
20 That's Not The Part of Him You're Leavin'
21 Down on The Bottom (EC version)
22 Blame It On Cain

Encore 2 (In TV set)

23 Alison
24 Pump It Up
25 Golden Tom - Silver Judas (with Larkin Poe)
26 The Scarlet Tide (with Larkin Poe)

Encore 3

27 Side By Side (Piano)
28 Jimmie Standin In The Rain- Brother Can You Spare a Dime
29 Good Year For The Roses (with larkin poe)
30 Peace Love & understanding (with larkin poe)

end 11 pm

Great show. just got in. a few hours sleep then it's off to Glasgow later this morning. Crikey it¡s already dawn here..got to love the UK summer
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos by The Imposter

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

ImageImage
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... er-9434170

Elvis Costello at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
The legendary singer heaves his huge songbook on stage for a night of retrospective brilliance
(Four out of five stars)

[2014 photo omitted]

Andy Cronshaw

That Elvis Costello wasn't too far from home territory at the Bridgewater Hall was clearly evident during an evening of nostalgia and retrospective pleasures.

The 60-year-old singer-songwriter spent some of his formative years in Birkenhead before heading back to London where he was eventually marketed, for his first few albums, as an angry young man of the city's so-called new wave scene.

TAnd there seemed to be a little extra Scouse tang to his accent than usual as he held court with his guitars in front of a giant vintage TV set.

The television displayed a test card - something which only people of certain age will remember.

Overlain the screen were pictures highlighting memories of his childhood, his musical and cultural influences as well as old snaps of his family.

The concept worked well as Costello stitched his songs into a narrative of recollections and anecdotes.

I'd mentioned to an Elvis Costello fan before the gig that i needed to do a little homework on his songbook. Some cribbing - it weighs in rather heavily at almost 600 tunes.

Even though it was never going to be easy to second guess his selection, Costello seems happy to make sure he presses the right buttons as far as his well-known material goes.

Angry young man turned affable old gent.

Hence we were guaranteed some of the early classics, Accidents wil Happen, the opener, and an uptempo Green Shirt three songs in.

Deep Dark Truth Mirror, from his 1989 album Spike, was delivered in his classic hard-hitting vocal style - impassioned and willfully brutal.

Oliver's Army was followed by a down-tempo version of the classic Shipbuilding as he took to piano to give the tune a left-field dimension and an eerie coda.

But among the well-known hits, he'd specially selected geographically attuned segments for the audience, such as the James Ray tune If You've Got to Make Fool of Somebody, famously covered by Manchester's Freddie and the Dreamers.

He drew the line however at requests; responding to one outburst with the cheeky repost: "I'm sorry I don't know any Smiths songs."

The most entertaining story of the night was his recollection of seeing his father in the 1963 Royal Variety Show and how his dad went on to tour working mens clubs singing Ray Stevens' 'Everything is Beautiful'.

Costello's self-proclamied statuts as the rock'n' roll's scrabble champion was nowhere better illustrated than a melding of Nick Lowe's When I Write the Book with his own 1983 hit, Every Day I write the Book.

Both seem to echo Richard Rodgers' I Could Write a Book most famously sung by one of Costello's heroes, Frank Sinatra.

The appearance of support act, sisters Larkin Poe, heralded the 'Americana' element of his work which first appeared in the early 80s through his collaborations with T-Bone Burnett - years before the term Americana had even been invented.

The song Nothing Clings Like Ivy was nicely illuminated by Megan Lovell's steel pedal guitar, while, That's Not the Part of Him You're Leaving, came across like a timeless Country classic.

Several encores were greeted by ecstatic standing ovations and the songs were given extra gusto as Costello appeared inside the TV box to sing the old stalwarts, Alison, and the rock satire, Pump It Up.

If there's any criticism I could make it would be the way he tends to belt out songs too forcibly at times and this was no more evident than with Jerry Chestnut's Good Year for the Year For the Roses - a tune that he sings in tribute to George Jones without ever really recapturing the Country legend's briliance.

All-in-all, however, it was a great night and I can't imagine that anyone went home feeling in any way short-changed.
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

A nice review, but it failed to mention the gag of the night. Green Shirt sung with a picture of George Best on the screen.

In Manchester :)
verbal gymnastics

Did Accidents will happen open the show or is this the reporter's equivalent? :lol:
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Did Accidents will happen open the show or is this the reporter's equivalent? :lol:
My guess is when writing the review, he couldn't remember which "early classic" opened the show, so he just wrote "the opener":
Hence we were guaranteed some of the early classics, Accidents Will Happen, the opener, and an up-tempo Green Shirt three songs in.
They've already fixed some typos since the initial post, so maybe later they'll change "the opener" to "Red Shoes."

verbal gymnastics

:lol: True. I'd (deliberately) read it the other way.

Perhaps it should read along the lines of "Accidents will happen, the opener, that other classic he did -you know the one, that other song he did" etc

In all seriousness it sounds like anothet great show though.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

johnanderson wrote:A nice review, but it failed to mention the gag of the night. Green Shirt sung with a picture of George Best on the screen.

Was it George in his Northern Ireland kit?
verbal gymnastics

Also was that John Cooper Clarke projected on the TV?
Butts

Post by Butts »

It was John Cooper Clarke, yes.

Good spot on the fluffed 45 intro that led to an early Oliver's Army, I thought something had happened to throw him off for a second but didn't realise that was it.

It was a terrific show, less muted than his Bridgewater gig last year, energised no doubt by the highly impressive Larkin Poe. I love the nostalgic Elvis and can listen to him all night.

We were about 10 rows back and to the right a bit and for the last 30 minutes I was aware of some commotion back and left and a woman who was seemingly talking incessantly and very loudly, especially during Alison. I've seen the Bridgewater brigade shush people like that before but seems not on this occasion. Maybe it was just me.

Anyway, I need to see him again so trying desperately to sort something out next week.
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

Ulster Boy wrote:
johnanderson wrote:A nice review, but it failed to mention the gag of the night. Green Shirt sung with a picture of George Best on the screen.

Was it George in his Northern Ireland kit?
In a leather coat, but the NI kit was the joke.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Good Year For The Roses / Peace, Love And Understanding - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVp39qHIOF4
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis Costello at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester review

4 stars (out of 5)

That Elvis Costello wasn't too far from home territory at the Bridgewater Hall was clearly evident during an evening of nostalgia and retrospective pleasures.

The 60-year-old singer-songwriter spent some of his formative years in Birkenhead before heading back to London where he was eventually marketed, for his first few albums, as an angry young man of the city's so-called new wave scene.

And there seemed to be a little extra Scouse tang to his accent than usual as he held court with his guitars in front of a giant vintage TV set.

The television displayed a test card - something which only people of certain age will remember.

Overlain the screen were pictures highlighting memories of his childhood, his musical and cultural influences as well as old snaps of his family.

The concept worked well as Costello stitched his songs into a narrative of recollections and anecdotes.

I'd mentioned to an Elvis Costello fan before the gig that I needed to do a little homework on his songbook. Some cribbing - it weighs in rather heavily at almost 600 tunes.

Even though it was never going to be easy to second guess his selection, Costello seems happy to make sure he presses the right buttons as far as his well-known material goes.

Angry young man turned affable old gent.

Hence we were guaranteed some of the early classics, Accidents will Happen, the opener, and an up-tempo Green Shirt three songs in.

Deep Dark Truth Mirror, from his 1989 album Spike, was delivered in his classic hard-hitting vocal style - impassioned and willfully brutal.

"Even though it was never going to be easy to second guess his selection, Costello seems happy to make sure he presses the right buttons as far as his well-known material goes"

Oliver's Army was followed by a down-tempo version of the classic Shipbuilding as he took to piano to give the tune a left-field dimension and an eerie coda.

But among the well-known hits, he'd specially selected geographically attuned segments for the audience, such as the James Ray tune If You've Got to Make Fool of Somebody, famously covered by Manchester's Freddie and the Dreamers.

He drew the line however at requests; responding to one outburst with the cheeky repost: "I'm sorry I don't know any Smiths songs."

The most entertaining story of the night was his recollection of seeing his father in the 1963 Royal Variety Show and how his dad went on to tour working mens clubs singing Ray Stevens' 'Everything is Beautiful'.

Costello's self-proclaimed status as the rock'n'roll's scrabble champion was nowhere better illustrated than a melding of Nick Lowe's When I Write the Book with his own 1983 hit, Every Day I write the Book.

Both seem to echo Richard Rodgers' I Could Write a Book most famously sung by one of Costello's heroes, Frank Sinatra.

The appearance of support act, sisters Larkin Poe, heralded the 'Americana' element of his work which first appeared in the early 80s through his collaborations with T-Bone Burnett - years before the term Americana had even been invented.

The song Nothing Clings Like Ivy was nicely illuminated by Megan Lovell's steel pedal guitar, while, That's Not the Part of Him You're Leaving, came across like a timeless Country classic.

Several encores were greeted by ecstatic standing ovations and the songs were given extra gusto as Costello appeared inside the TV box to sing the old stalwarts, Alison, and the rock satire, Pump It Up.

If there's any criticism I could make it would be the way he tends to belt out songs too forcibly at times and this was no more evident than with Jerry Chestnut's Good Year for the Year For the Roses - a tune that he sings in tribute to George Jones without ever really recapturing the Country legend's briliance.

All-in-all, however, it was a great night and I can't imagine that anyone went home feeling in any way short-changed.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From Larkin Poe's facebook: https://www.facebook.com/larkinpoe

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Azmuda wrote:
Good Year For The Roses / Peace, Love And Understanding - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVp39qHIOF4
That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oYPeZ_ufNk 505