EC and the Roots Las Vegas March 15-16 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
veronicacostello

Re: EC and the Roots Las Vegas March 15-16 2014

Post by veronicacostello »

SoulForHire wrote:Where are the comments from Mojo and Veronica Costello? I am dying to hear others' take on the show. I may have been too emotionally taken by the event to be objective about the show.
I've been meaning to get over here and post about the shows! I was also up front both nights (Hey Soul For Hire, we were standing right next to each other maybe? It's me - Lori!)
I am on my way to sleep, and I will post in detail later, perhaps tomorrow if I get enough time to really get into it. It was overwhelmingly spectacular and there were a couple of really striking moments that I'll have to mention.

For now, the fastest way to sum up my response to the shows can be done with a photo:

SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Review from Las Vegas' most popular free newspaper:
http://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/2014 ... stello/#/0

THE ROOTS HELP BROOKLYN BOWL CELEBRATE IN VEGAS, WITH HELP FROM ELVIS

Spencer PattersonWed, Mar 19, 2014 (7:30 p.m.)

Last Friday, The Roots wrapped their Tonight Show taping duties in New York, flew cross-country to Las Vegas, played three shows in three nights here and flew back to rejoin Jimmy Fallon on the set on Monday. The occasion to merit that grinder of a schedule? Brooklyn Bowl’s grand-opening weekend at the Linq.

The veteran hip-hop band’s relationship with the venue runs deep—drummer Questlove, who DJ’d here after Saturday’s show, even has a weekly “Bowl Train” DJ residency at the New York version—and the band acknowledged owner Peter Shapiro several times from the stage. The Roots also turned in performances befitting the notable circumstances, on their own Friday night and as the band behind Elvis Costello on Sunday.

Coming in, the smart money had The Roots’ solo show being the hotter of the two, with the group free to funk it up on whatever material felt right in the moment. The set’s first third held to that storyline, with rapper Black Thought and seven instrumentalists (later joined by a three-piece horn section) delving heavily into ’90s material like “The Next Movement,” “What They Do” and “Proceed.” But a strangely assembled sound mix (how could a sousaphone be that quiet?!) and an over-reliance on cover tunes (“Jungle Boogie,” “Sweet Child o’ Mine,” “Bad to the Bone”) kept Night 1 from achieving maximum momentum.

Forty-eight hours later, The Roots morphed from soulful jam band to jazzy backing unit, supporting the 59-year-old Costello, with whom they collaborated on last year’s Wise Up Ghost. Music from that album was featured heavily, most notably a hypnotic version of the title track, but the show also featured a small cache of Costello classics, from faithfully presented versions of “Watching the Detectives,” “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea” and “Allison” to a surreally slowed down “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding.” The spectacled Brit showed off the sterling condition of his voice during a set-capping “I Want You,” dug deeper into his catalog for early-’80s cuts “Shabby Doll” and “Pills and Soap” and rocked out a surprising encore rendition of John Lennon’s “I Found Out.”

And then, as Costello spat the well-known lyrics to “Pump It Up,” Questlove added a few new ones of his own, about needing to head off to catch a plane. Even as we cheered for more, it was pretty tough to blame him.
Last edited by SoulForHire on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Apparently Spenser Patterson is not as knowledgeable about Costello as he should be given that he is writing an article. Costello did not perform Pills and Soap (he was probably referring to Stick Out Your Tongue). And Costello was doing the a capella call and response of Walk Us Uptown when ?uestlove added lines.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

The author of the Las Vegas Weekly review has added this addendum:

Note: An astute reader points out that Costello did not play "Pills and Soap," per se, Sunday night, but rather "Stick Out Your Tongue" from Wise Up Ghost, which features nearly all of the words to "Pills and Soap," among other lyrics.

END QUOTE

I was that OCD "astute reader"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

:D :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's Dennis McGuire's photo of a print version of one of the review -

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Tripwire / PLU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RfWAb2SBns
This uploader (Hop5340) has also uploaded "I Want You". Does anyone care to contact him and ask if he wants to share this video with us?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Anyone know if either show was recorded, other than the guy who recorded night one with his iPhone who posted the show on youtube? Surely someone had to be recording shows like this.

This again raises the question of what was up with that camera in the area between the stage and the front row during night 2.

Night 2 seemed a bit more "showy" than night 1. To me, it seemed like the kind of performance you'd give if you knew it was being filmed.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

The person who posted Tripwire has two more clips: Cinco Minutos Con Vos and Come the Meantimes. These are really the best clips in addition to the clips he already put up as they represent versions of those songs not previously available. Cinco Minutos features Black Thought and ?uestlove really ratchets the bossa nova version of Meantimes to a whole new level.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Cinco Minutos Con Vos with Black Thought
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40XzkbCQ ... jkYPaf-H0g

You can see my forehead at 8:12.
Last edited by SoulForHire on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Come the Meantimes from March 16:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsQPzIqJ ... jkYPaf-H0g

All due respect to Pete Thomas, ?uestlove's drumming causes the versions of this song played in Vegas to completely blow the version played by the Imposters in Japan out of the water.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

http://vegasseven.com/2014/03/17/concer ... llo-roots/

To celebrate the opening of Las Vegas’ newest concert venue, these genre-mixing masters took the stage in the wake of last year’s collaborative effort, Wise Up Ghost. The show was split almost evenly between songs from that album, and tunes from Costello’s extensive catalog. The Roots seemed to meet Costello more than halfway on new tunes “Come the Meantimes” and “Walk Us Uptown,” which were stripped of some of their funkiness from Wise Up, but showcased the band’s musical multiplicity.
Costello classics such as “Watching the Detectives,” “Alison” and show closer “Pump It Up” thrilled the crowd, but it was on the Specials’ reggae hit “Ghost Town” and Wise Up‘s dark grind “Cinco Minutos Con Vos” (with guest vocalist La Marisoul) where Costello and the Roots fully melded in this unique pairing. ★★★★✩
SET LIST
Wake Me Up
Black and White World
Stick Out Your Tongue
Watching the Detectives
Shabby Doll
Come the Meantimes
Sugar Won’t Work
Tripwire/What’s So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding (with La Marisoul)
Spooky Girlfriend (with La Marisoul)
Cinco Minutos Con Vos (with La Marisoul)
Ghost Town (with La Marisoul and Black Thought)
(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea
Walk Us Uptown
I Want You
ENCORE
Wise Up Ghost
Alison
I Found Out
Pump It Up
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

A pretty good sounding recording of the March 15th show is now on Dime
Charles

Post by Charles »

SoulForHire wrote: And then you can see the douche bag's hairy unwashed arm pointing at Costello starting at 12:10.
Was this the “comments with more substance” you promised?