Elvis & Steve, Dublin (Eire), September 7, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & Steve, Dublin (Eire), September 7, 2023

Post by Man out of Time »

Costello & Nieve in Concert will be at the National Concert Hall, Dublin on Thursday, September 7th.

TIckets go on sale to the public on Friday 24 March at 10:00am. Prices are €85 or €70. Link is below:

www.nch.ie

This is Elvis' first show in Ireland since 2018 and his first show in Ireland with Steve as a duo since The Lonely World tour back in 1999.

Who's going?

MOOT
sulky lad

Re: Elvis & Steve, Dublin (Eire), September 7, 2023

Post by sulky lad »

Most likely me ! :wink: :roll:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I guess it depends on English dates being announced.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
elviscornwall

Post by elviscornwall »

Hoping for some UK dates
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Front row seat scored courtesy of John Foyle - more reliable and efficient than a website :wink:
geebot

Post by geebot »

A little pissed off. I woke up in the wee hours for presale (I'm in Chicago) and the best I could do was front row balcony. Went back a few days later and they had plenty of main floor for sale so I got second row. Now I've got two more than I need (and they seem to be selling slowly).
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I’m heading off to Holyhead later to cross the Irish Sea with the Fishfinger Queen for this. Good decision in view of lack of UK dates. Who’s going?
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fishfinger king wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:54 am I’m heading off to Holyhead later to cross the Irish Sea with the Fishfinger Queen for this. Good decision in view of lack of UK dates. Who’s going?

I'm flying from Newquay airport - goggles and leather flying hat optional. I'm hoping for something more pragmatic than a biplane with a pilot with a handlebar moustache. See you there !
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:21 pm
Fishfinger king wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:54 am I’m heading off to Holyhead later to cross the Irish Sea with the Fishfinger Queen for this. Good decision in view of lack of UK dates. Who’s going?

I'm flying from Newquay airport - goggles and leather flying hat optional. I'm hoping for something more pragmatic than a biplane with a pilot with a handlebar moustache. See you there !
"Hello, my name is James "Biggles" Bigglesworth and I am your captain today and will take you to Dublin......"
Enjoy the stay in Dublin!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

sulky lad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:21 pm

Should be ok mate we flew from Newquay to Stansted a few years ago and the plane was fine. Have a great gig
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Thank to John Foyle for the setlist.

01. Jack Of All Parades
02. Accidents Will Happen
03. Shot With His Own Gun
04. Like Licorice On Your Tongue
05. Tart
06. Toledo
07. Veronica
08. Deportee
09. John Went Walking
10. Oliver's Army
11. Watching The Detectives
12. Talking In The Dark
13. I Still Have That Other Girl
14. The Whirlwind
15. She
16. My Thief
17. Waiting For The End Of The World
18. Shipbuilding
19. We Are All Cowards Now
20. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
21. Alison

John says: "What a show! Elvis in great form tonight in Dublin. A new piece, a talking word thing, with a kind of click track, 'John Went Walking' the most likely name, about his great-grandfather Pat."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... nt-expect/

Elvis Costello with Steve Nieve in Dublin review:

Moments of unadulterated pleasure you simply didn’t expect

Tony Clayton-Lea
Fri Sep 8 2023

Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve
National Concert Hall, Dublin
★★★★☆

They have spent the best of 45 years together on tour buses, dressingrooms, hotel lounges, aeroplanes, recording studios, and stages, so it’s no real surprise that Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve slip and slide off each other’s backs like eels. They have an instinctive shorthand that may be indiscernible to the naked eye, but which they can each see coming almost without having to look up or over. Sure, they have a set list prepared and fit for purpose, and each show has a starting point, but, as he said in this paper a few days ago, “after 10 minutes it all goes to hell and we change everything.”

Of course, things don’t go to hell at all, but with almost 500 songs in his back pocket you might wonder how Costello filters out the best part of 20 of them for these shows. There is no definitive answer, but what is certain is a subtle realignment of what a steadfast and mature Costello audience can expect. Numerous areas of his lengthy and diverse career are explored and sometimes radically recalibrated, from his early days (Accidents Will Happen, Oliver’s Army, Alison, Watching the Detectives, Talking in the Dark, Shot With His Own Gun), mid (Jack of All Parades, Shipbuilding, Deportees Club), late (Tart, The Whirlwind, We Are All Cowards Now), collaborations (Burt Bacharach co-writes Toledo, I Still Have That Other Girl, My Thief, and Paul McCartney co-write, Veronica), covers (She, What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding), beat poetry (John Went Walking, making its debut), and unreleased (Like Licorice on Your Tongue).

All of these and a few more are delivered with a showman’s sleight of hand – he moves from semi-conducting the audience to putting on his best Eric Morecambe impression, from brief, wry reminiscence (“I’m back in sinful Ireland…”) to poignant memory digging, from scratchy guitar player to triumphant, if scorched, vocalist.

There was a marked difference, however, with this performance – Costello has performed in Ireland many times but never before with just his trusted friend and long-term musical associate, keyboardist/pianist Steve Nieve. As a strictly solo performer, Costello would have been fine (“it should be enough if it’s me and my ukulele”), but Nieve’s playing added moments of unadulterated pleasure you simply didn’t expect.

That started from the second song, Accidents Will Happen, where he turned the punk-era pop classic into a flourishing piece of dramatic opera. He does the same with Talking in the Dark, and follows with more exacting, downright wonderful frills on I Still Have That Other Girl and (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.

The show concluded with Alison, one of Costello’s all-time classic songs, but from start to finish there was no pandering to audience expectations, while on more than several occasions Nieve’s playing trumped everything. Rather, as Costello approaches his 70th year in 2024, he has instinctively coaxed his music out of the pop/rock tradition and directed it towards a determined if delicate version of musical theatre. There’s no stopping him, is there?
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

It was a great show indeed. Steve just impresses so much - easy to take him for granted but he was magnificent. Only disappointment was that he didn’t get (or wasn’t allowed) to use the huge organ with its 4045 pipes! Elvis also in good form in spite of one or two vocal glitches. Hope Sulky’s first row position didn’t hamper “proceedings” too much.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle ... 22140.html

Elvis Costello and his longterm collaborator rolled out the hits from his incredible back catalogue

It’s said that the mark of a great song is if it can be played on one or two instruments and still stand up. The lord knows Elvis Costello has written more than his share of immortal tunes and as a lyricist he simply has few if any equals. The concept of this current jaunt is straightforward enough; Elvis and long-time cohort and keyboard genius Mr Steve Nieve – “We’ve been on the stage for 45 years” – dip into that enviable songbook and frankly it doesn’t really matter what they pick out because they’re all great songs.

Opening with King Of America’s ‘Jack of All Parades’ and then Armed Forces’ ‘Accidents Will Happen’, Costello’s voice takes a bit of time to warm up, singing into an old 1940s radio-style microphone while Nieve throws classical shapes behind him. Costello then tells a story about embarrassing himself while buying a piano before ‘Shot With His Own Gun’ from 1981’s Trust, with Nieve moving from strident chords to a rolling solo and almost managing pizzicato on a keyboard in between. If Costello doesn’t whisper a daily silent prayer of thanks for meeting this man all those years ago then he should.

If the voice isn’t quite responding the way he might like, it’s still a thing of wonder, and he’s certainly not letting it off easy. ‘Toledo’, the first of a few of his collaborations with Burt Bacharach tonight, puts it through its paces over plucked acoustic. These are difficult songs to sing but the beautiful tremolo he has – equalled only amongst his contemporaries by Chrissie Hynde – breaks through.

‘Veronica’ – “I wrote this song with Paul McCartney, that’s not something I ever thought I’d say” – is rearranged to sound like Bob Dylan around 1964 – think ‘All I Really Want To Do’ – and shorn of its ornate let’s-make-a-hit arrangement it is beautiful, although it was always gorgeous anyway.

‘Watching The Detectives’ really gets jaws dropping. The two men transform the National Concert Hall into a noir film set with cacophonous car crashes of guitar mixed with keyboard effects before Nieve gets a monster melodica out. The whole thing drifts into a Massive Attack/Lee Perry dub while Elvis uses echoes of his own voice to further cinematic effect, staying on the same chord as they go into the chorus to further add to the Orson-Welles-in-the-Viennese-shadows atmosphere.

“It’s been a real pleasure, hope it’s not long until we’re back again,” Costello declares as we near the end. Nick Lowe’s ‘(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding’, which Costello made his own years ago, even has Nieve singing. Costello grins with pride at his old mate as they locate the sweet harmony the song was searching for and he delights in such unlikely “noise and rowdiness” in the National Concert Hall.

They’ve got to go but not before ‘Alison’ closes the show. The crowd, who had sat in hushed reverence throughout, awed by what they were receiving, are on their feet, singing along to yet another jewel in Costello’s treasure chest. He takes the applause, he folds up his guitar, he puts on his hat, and he walks off.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Costello has performed in Ireland many times but never before with just his trusted friend and long-term musical associate, keyboardist/pianist Steve Nieve.
Tony Clayton-Lea , Irish Times

Elvis & Steve did a duo show in Dublin in 1999

https://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/ind ... -21_Dublin
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.hotpress.com/live-review/li ... l-22986565

Live report: Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve deliver an exquisite performance at the National Concert Hall

Armed with a grand piano and a selection of acoustic and electric guitars, the dynamic duo explore Costello's expansive back-catalogue filled with impressive arrangements and world-class musicianship.

While Elvis Costello has all the class and talent of an artist who's been performing for over 50 years, he also brings all the passion and engrossment of a young artist carving out his reputation - it makes for a captivating live performance on this balmy September night.

A two-man show, Costello introduces his long-time band member and piano-player extraordinaire, Steve Nieve - praising his incredible skills as pianist and keyboard player and joking that Steve recently "asked for a raise." Costello and Nieve make their way through four Elvis Costello & The Attractions hits, three Costello/Bacharach numbers and a selection of Costello's solo works - all delivered with Costello's celebrated showmanship and enjoyable anecdotes.

Kicking off the evening with the T Bone Burnett produced 'Jack of All Parades', the Dublin audience sits in silent reverence. There are plenty of familiar faces throughout the audience including younger fans like Villagers' Conor O'Brien and Bricknasty's Louis Younge. Sitting at a polished black Steinway grand piano, Nieve displays his unsung genius from start to finish. He delivers a jaw-droppingly dramatic rendition of the 1981 track, 'Shot With His Own Gun'.

Regarded as one of the greatest songwriters of his generation, Costello has worked with many of the greats including Johnny Cash, Allen Toussaint and the legendary Burt Bacharach. While Bacharach collaborated with dozens of stars like Dionne Warwick, Nat King Cole and Dusty Springfield, Costello proudly points out that he and Neil Diamond are the only two artists to have composed with Bacharach. He performs the first of three Bacharach co-writes, the 1998 earworm, 'Toledo'.

Further showing off his songwriting chops, Costello introduces his Paul McCartney co-write 'Veronica', followed by his own song 'The Deportees Club'. Recorded by Christy Moore in the late '80s, he jokes with the Dublin audience that he "better get it right".

With a name like Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus there's no doubting Costello's Irish roots. He talks about his family roots in Dungannon and refers to the North as “the bit they stole''. He then treats us to an exclusive, first-time performance of a spoken word piece. Backed by a stark rhythmic beat, he is fully engaged in the performance. It's like Gil Scott-Heron tackling the complications of Irish history and emigration, featuring lines like “You can’t go home, you can’t go home, you can never go home”.

Other highlights included a stripped-back version of 'Oliver's Army' and the Charles Aznavour song (and Notting Hill hit) 'She'. Costello's voice is full of power and emotion throughout the night.

'Watching The Detectives' is given an almost two-mite long cinematic synth opening. It's eerie and it's impressive. He ends the set singing 'Shipbuilding', accompanied solely by Nieve's delicate piano playing.

Met by a standing ovation, Costello performs a welcomed encore including '(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding' and ending the night with the all-time favourite, 'Alison'.

While the setlist is loaded with hits, it's far from a nostalgic, 'singalong' greatest hits tour. At 69, Costello is as captivating as ever. For a man known for his fondness of a fedora - hats off!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 00301.html

Barry Egan: Elvis Costello leaves Dublin crowd gasping for breath after mesmerising two-hour show

The Englishman, supported on stage by Steve Nieve, played a catalogue of classics

Elvis Costello was so good last night that when I came out of the National Concert Hall I had forgotten where I parked the car.
(…)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Must be hard work being a journalist for the Irish Independent - I wrote more in a message to our group ! :roll:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sulky lad wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:02 pm Must be hard work being a journalist for the Irish Independent - I wrote more in a message to our group ! :roll:
The rest of the article is behind a paywall.
;)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'll get it from the print edition tomorrow.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... s-of-2023/

16 of the most memorable gigs of 2023
Photographer Tom Honan selects his best shots of the year

(…)
Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve
National Concert Hall, Dublin
Thursday, September 7th

★★★★☆

They have spent the best part of 45 years together in tour buses, dressingrooms, hotel lounges, aeroplanes, recording studios, and stages, so it’s no real surprise that Elvis Costello and Steve Nieve slip and slide off each other’s backs like eels. They have an instinctive shorthand that may be indiscernible to the naked eye, but which they can each see coming almost without having to look up or over. Sure, they have a set list prepared and fit for purpose, and each show has a starting point, but, as Costello said to this newspaper, “after 10 minutes it all goes to hell and we change everything”.
(…)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle ... 95400.html

Tom Dunne: 2023 was a year divided by the sadness of July 26
Brilliant music, great gigs, and we even had Stones & Beatles comebacks, but the death of Sinead O'Connor overshadowed everything this year

(…)
Elvis Costello with Steve Nieve, National Concert Hall

Costello is a god to me. The run of albums to Imperial Bedroom are amongst my favourites of all time. To see him, to hear him, up close and personal was spectacular. I could ruin the joke about how his father learned to speak Spanish, but it would be cruel as he is returning to do this show in 2024. Trust me though, it’s a good one!
(…)