Elvis plays Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, October 1 & 2, 2022

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis plays Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, October 1 & 2, 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis plays Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, October 1, 2022

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com ... -costello/

ELVIS COSTELLO
SAT, OCT 1 | TOWERS OF GOLD STAGE | 4:45 - 5:55PM
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There's supposed to be a livestream of EC's set.

https://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/
And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Francisco

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes - EC solo
02. Like Licorice On Your Tongue - new song
03. Brown-Eyed Women
04. Loser / Wharf Rat
05. Ramble On Rose
06. Blood & Hot Sauce
07. Sugaree
08. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Dance Dance Dance - with Allan Mayes
09. Alison - with Allan Mayes - including Tracks Of My Tears
10. I'm Ahead If I Can Quit While I'm Behind - with Allan Mayes
11. Surrender To The Rhythm - with Allan Mayes
12. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Allan Mayes

With the same band as last night.
And No Coffee Table

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/ ... s-2022-set

Elvis Costello digs through the past for electric Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2022 set
by Aidin Vaziri

Elvis Costello threw it back as he took the Towers of Gold Stage for his headlining set at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival’s second day, barnstorming through classics from his back catalog, covers of Grateful Dead songs and everything in between.

The 68-year-old English singer-songwriter opened his afternoon set on Saturday, Oct. 1 with a stripped-down version of his 1977 single, “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes.” Wearing a flat cap backward, a bright red corduroy overcoat and white stubble on his face, Costello was in a surprisingly playful mood despite the gloomy weather hanging over the west end of Golden Gate Park.

He followed the familiar opener with a cover version of the b-side of an obscure single he found in Fort Worth, Texas, with a chorus that repeated the phrase, “like licorice on your tongue” — even the Google search engine couldn’t come up with a song title.

Costello, who last appeared at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in 2012, also performed a handful of songs penned by Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter and the band’s late guitarist Jerry Garcia, who would have been 80 years old this year and to whom he dedicated an entire set the night before at the Great American Music Hall.

He delighted in the lilting verses of “Brown-Eyed Women” and the slow-building chords of “Loser,” both of which were originally released by the Dead in 1972, and turned 1971’s “Ramble on Rose” into a gnarly blues jam.

With the festival making its in-person return for the first time in three years, tens of thousands packed into Lindley Meadow for Costello’s set in an afternoon that also featured eclectic acts such as the folk outfit Bonny Light Horseman, indie rocker Jay Som, Los Angeles Chicano folk act Las Cafeteras, the Brooklyn Afro-beat band Antibalas and sideman Buddy Miller’s “Cavalcade of Stars.”

Costello then introduced one of his unreleased live favorites called “Blood & Hot Sauce,” noting that the band learned to play it a few minutes earlier backstage. By the end, he had the entire audience singing along with its refrain, “Hip-hip-hooray!/ Hip-hip-hooray for blood and hot sauce!”

But he wasn’t quite done with the Hunter-Garcia material, digging fully into the Dead’s “Sugaree.”

Costello also brought out guitarist Allan Mayes, who was in his first band Rusty in 1972. The duo promptly tore into Neil Young’s “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.”

“I never thought Allan and I would be standing on a stage here in San Francisco,” Costello said.

He added, “We were Island’s answer to Simon & Garfunkel.”

They then played a tender version of Costello’s 1977 ballad, “Alison,” trading off the verses, and a cover of Jim Ford’s 1972 “I’m Ahead If I Can Quite While I’m Behind,” with Mayes taking on the lead vocals.

“I can’t stop smiling,” Mayes said, introducing another cover. “San Francisco. Who would have thought?”

The audience got a jolt as the band closed its set with a furious run through Nick Lowe’s “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” which Costello first recorded with slightly less vigor on his 1979 album “Armed Forces.”

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 2022 continues through Sunday, Oct. 2, with scheduled performances by banjo player Béla Fleck, Mumford & Sons singer and guitarist Marcus Mumford, and it’s traditional closer Emmylou Harris.

The festival’s final day is expected to also feature an all-star set called “Fare Thee Well” that plans to celebrate the songs of festival regulars who died over the last few years, including John Prine, Nancy Bechtle and Justin Townes Earle.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 2. Free. Hellman Hollow, Marx and Lindley meadows in Golden Gate Park, S.F. http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

20F5D25E-CC1F-4B44-A642-786F986345DB.jpeg
20F5D25E-CC1F-4B44-A642-786F986345DB.jpeg (125.52 KiB) Viewed 8085 times
And No Coffee Table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEa3ipPtiBw

"Note: this video is up for one day only to help any fans who may have missed the livestream on Saturday."
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

one thing i love to see is Allan is clearly having the time of his life in these shows.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I agree.

I’m really pleased for Allan Mayes who is getting to enjoy his moment in the spotlight. He was a key part of Elvis’ early career and it’s great Elvis hasn’t forgotten this.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Look like EC returned Sunday afternoon for the "Fare Thee Well: Celebrating the Songs of John Prine, Nancy Bechtle, Justin Townes Earle & More" set.

https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/1576705418121748480
Didn’t expect to see Elvis Costello an Steve Earle on stage together paying tribute to John Prine.
https://twitter.com/gte/status/1576698891214327809
Elvis Costello is playing John Prine songs in San Francisco and I’m not there.
And No Coffee Table

According to setlist.fm, EC played "Brokedown Palace" as part of the John Prine tribute and "Harlem River Blues" with Steve Earle as the Justin Townes Earle tribute.

Is there a "Brokedown Palace"/John Prine connection I'm missing?
And No Coffee Table

EC returned for Marcus Mumford's set, which just concluded on the livestream. They sang "Pump It Up" together, and EC then moved to keys for "When I Get My Hands on You" and "Kansas City" with several other guests (including Rhiannon Giddens).
MOJO

Re: Elvis plays Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, October 1 & 2, 2022

Post by MOJO »

Darn. Missed EC at the Mumford show. If it were Taylor Goldsmith / Dawes, I would have been all over it. Hopefully, they will bring the Lost Basement Tapes crew together next year. That would be a dream.

I did see EC with Steve Earle and it was awesome!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

And No Coffee Table wrote:According to setlist.fm, EC played "Brokedown Palace" as part of the John Prine tribute and "Harlem River Blues" with Steve Earle as the Justin Townes Earle tribute.

Is there a "Brokedown Palace"/John Prine connection I'm missing?
I think not. In his introduction to Brokedown Palace, Elvis says that when he tries to sing a John Prine song, it sounds like he's doing Karaoke. So he sang this song instead, that he had played at the "Elvis Costello sings Hunter/Garcia" shows. I think it was the valedictory sentiment of the song that he felt fitting for the occasion - rather than there being a specific connection to John Prine.

Here are some snippets of Marcus Mumford's set including (from 7:07) Elvis singing "Pump It Up" and playing keys (stage left) on "When I Get My Hands On You" and "Kansas City".

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Rhiannon Giddens: "What a lovely reunion with @marcusmumford and @ElvisCostello! True gents and massive talents both."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://bigtakeover.com/concerts/Hardly ... ber1st2022

(…)

When Elvis Costello walked out in a bright red corduroy shirt, backward purple cap, and gray beard, you knew something was up. Sure enough, after a stripped-down rendering of “Red Shoes”, he quickly got to playing Grateful Dead covers and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself. Alongside legendary studio musician Larry Campbell, Elvis and the band slid into “Ramble on Rose”, “Brown Eyed Women” and “Sugaree”, with the hometown audience singing right along. Later in the set, Elvis brought out Allan Mayes, his partner in the early 70’s band Rusty. Mayes was visibly having a good time and even shared vocal duties on “Allison”. The performance was capped off by two Neil Young covers, “Dance, Dance, Dance” and “Everybody Knows This is Nowhere”, followed by “What’s so Funny About Peace Love and Understanding”.

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

An epic show at HSB 22. Hoping to see EC back next year with another epic show of his choice. Fingers crossed. Lost Basement Tapes - yes please. Until then, bring on February in NYC.